Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam Next Topic
Page: of 3

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  02:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi :) I would like to join in the study but will wait for the next passage. I have to go read & reflect on the first two ;)

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile
I am sure that when Hagar was sent away, her emotions went through a roller coaster ride. There may have been anger at first, then followed by disbelief that it actually happened and then when there didn't seem to be any hope, dispair and depression set in. Ishmael must have been suffering pretty bad for her to not want to "watch the lad die" but then maybe she went away so she could pray. You know Abraham seemed to instill in his servants the love of God. So it may be that she went to a "closet" space to be alone with the one she truly understood could rectify the problem. And true to His word, he heard her cry and came right on time. So many times we get too depressed, or look too closely at our circumstances to think to reach out to the Master of our Destiny and ask for help. We may be going through the worst part of our life, but if we would call out, He is faithful to hear us. And we know he will redeem us.
Another thought that comes to my mind is that Hagar may have gotten a prideful attitude while living under Abraham's care (after all, she had his son, not Sarah). Like Isaiah said, "if my people would humble themselves and pray.....then will I hear from heaven and heal their land." So just maybe the desert experience was a way of humbling a prideful attitude in her.

Life's too short to sit in a box all day. Get out and do something creative.

Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Great, glad to have you join us. I am hoping that I have been able to to present this in such a way that people can come and go as their time allows.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  07:11:58 AM  Show Profile
I find reading about Hagar a reminder of how pride can lead us on a rocky road. I think Sarah did not think through all the feelings etc. that would come about with the decision to give Hagar to Abraham as a wife. I know the dynamics were different back in those days but I think this really sheds some light on Jealousy and Pride. Would things have been different if God was consulted before these decisions were made? It is a reminder to me that I need to stay in dialogue with God and ask for his help instead of trying to take things into my own hands. I sometimes wonder if this is also an example of how God will come in and "fix" whatever has happened when we try to go it alone. Not so much as fixing it to make our lives infinitely better but take what has happened and help us move forward. It's a matter of really believing the mantra "let go and let God". Trusting and keeping the light of Christ inside us so that we can make it through those times of despair and loneliness. I can look at the worst period of my life and now see how God was there with me the whole time. It was hard to see him at the time but when I reflect on all the things that happened I can see how he worked to put the right support, people etc. in my path. He is my one true love, who will always be at my side or carrying me. I have always liked the "footprints" poem.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  10:18:18 PM  Show Profile
You are right Lesley about the consulting with God before making decisions. If we were to do that on a regular basis, I wonder what blessings would materialize in our own lives. I am not talking prosperity, mind you, but the blessing of peace of mind, contentment, satisfaction, etc. I think you hit home with me on that. I am going to work on getting HIS feedback on things I have been pondering on, and maybe, no not maybe, truly this time I should be heading in the right direction. Thank you for the reminder.

Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile
I have not had time to comment on either Sarah or Hagar. One of the thoughts I had about Sarah, was that her faith was based much on the relationship Abraham had with
God. Reminds me of Adam and Eve. It says that when God first told Abraham that he would be the father of many, Abraham was 75. God told him to move and he did. Sarah went with him. The next time God reminded him, Abraham was 99. That was 24 years later. I'm sure there were many times that both wondered when a child would fulfill the promise. In their semi-nomadic life, it was easy for doubts to arise. How many times have we prayed for something, and waited and waited and waited some more. Finally, I think in frustration, Sarah had devised a scheme. I think we do that too. If God doesn't hurry up, sometimes we try to manipulate the events to make things happen. Hagar, was a slave, oh..it says servant...but the station in life was quite clear. Sarah could do with Hagar as she wished. Yes, I think Hagar felt as though she had one up on Sarah, but again, Sarah banished Hagar and her unwanted (by Sarah)child. Just 2 pieces of property...no concern that they were human. God looked with favor on Hagar's broken heart and her child. It is today that we have the Arab community that calls Abraham their father also. I find with all the wars today between Arab and Jew...it goes back to Sarah's hastiness and not waiting for God to fulfill His promise...long reaching consequences. God WILL bless all His children from Abraham, which makes me want to pray even more for both descendants of Abraham, to help insure peace among both great nations.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  2:22:39 PM  Show Profile
I hope I haven't posted anything that offends anyone. Maybe just paranoia, but seems like things came to a stop after I posted. I really am appreciating this study, and what others are saying. Anyway, don't want to be an offense. just let me know if I am.

Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  3:15:43 PM  Show Profile
No, i love your input/insight. We are all children of abraham, that is why i try to understand the many faiths. If we all learned to live by tolerance and understanding i think there would be more peace.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Good thoughts Claudia, I agreed with them. I probably should have said so to you though, instead of just shaking my head. :}

Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  8:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, I felt sad when i read your post thinking you offended anyone.. You are so kind and loving and so walking the walk with the Lord, we whould all be more like you.. Im enjoying the study as well but have been very busy lately so havent posted much. Hi Connie, i see that you are from rio linda, whenever i hear of rio linda my thought sgo to my brother who was killed in a plane crash in rio linda 3 years ago. he was a deputy from sacramento. as your quote says life is way too short let us all live and love one another, you never know when it is your last day .. love and peace to all of you wonderful farmgirls..

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  10:50:26 AM  Show Profile
I want to apologize for my whine, melancholy or whatever. You girls are truly wonderful and I think at the time with stresses here at home, my mother aging and not thinking she is worth much now that she is old and forgetful...family spreading across the country, I felt a bit insignificant. I know that with Christ, I am a child of the King. But because I was in a hole, & my thoughts at this time, I wondered, how many people, especially women go about depressed and feel insignificant, hopeless, and have no one in which to turn for comfort. Thank you for you support.

Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  12:55:39 PM  Show Profile
I think we all go through that at times in our day to day lives. I just try and focus on positive energy thoughts. I try to read a meditation each morning that is something I can think about in moments of darkness. This morning was great i read a thought about how God will always love us and not abandon us no matter what. The book i am using is called "jesus calling" i am finding it very helpful in helping me remain centered.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  3:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Lesley!

Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  4:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Lot's Wife- She is remembered less for who she was-- wife, mother, daughter, sister-- and is remembered for what she became, a pillar of salt.

She was a prosperous woman who may have been more attached to the good life than was good for her. Though there is no indication she participated in the sin of Sodom, her story implies that she had learned to tolerate it and that her heart had become divided as a result.

Scripture: Genesis 18:16-19:29, Luke 17:28-33

Just one irresistible but forbidden glance back at what was happening behind her, and she turned into salt. Salt is one of the world's most common, and most used chemical. In old testament times it was used to season food, clean/wash newborn babies and was a required supplement to any grain sacrifice. The word salt is used only six times in the New Testament, all of them symbolic. Remember Jesus said that as a believer we are the salt of the earth (Matt 5:13, Mark 9:50, Luke 14:34). Our attitudes and actions can cleanse, season and purify our surroundings. When we respond graciously to someone who is ungracious, we season our world with salt. When we comfort the hurt, console the lonely, encourage the discouraged, or calm the unsettled, we season our world with salt. As followers of Christ, we are saltshakers busy sprinkling our world with the salt that flavors life.

Questions to start discussion:

1. Lot invited the men into his home without even consulting his wife. What sort of home do you think Lot's wife must have made for the family? How do you respond when someone you live with invites a guest over unexpectedly?

2. Why do you think Lot hesitated? What might he have been thinking? Even though Lot's wife was warned not to, why couldn't she resist looking back?

3. In Lot's wife, we can see ourselves looking back, regretting decisions made, mourning lost opportunities, yearning for ended relationships. Because we're looking behind us, we can't see what is before us. We may not turn into a pillar of salt, but we'll end up stuck in one place. Do you spend a lot time looking back? How can you leave the past behind, enjoy the present, and plan for the future?

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile
I wonder about whether we are culturally biased when we think about inviting guests. There is a very strong hospitality tradition among Middle Eastern people, and I think probably even more in ancient days. It might have been unthinkable for Lot to even hesitate to invite the men into his home. And then again, the text indicates that he bowed down on meeting the angels, as if he recognized them as the messengers of the Lord. Knowing who they were, and why they were there, why would he not invite them into his home?

I can not understand Lot's offer to send his wife and his daughters out to the hooligans in the street. I contrast and compare this text with that of Judges 19:11-28. The entire village ignored the travellers, It took an old man to offer finally offer hospitality to the strangers. When the hooligans arrived, like Lot, the old man offered up his virgin daughter as well as the visitor's concubine, but the Levite visitor actually sent his concubine out to the hooligans, who raped and murdered her.

To me these passages are not so much about depravity of homosexuality as they are about the failure of hospitality and the failure to treat others, including your family members, with respect.

It is very difficult for me to imagine living in a culture where a family man would send his daughters out to be raped and murdered by hooligans. What do you think day-to-day life was like for women who lived in this type of society, where their own lives had so little value?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Aug 01 2012 6:09:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  8:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, it's not too hard to see what kind of society treats the women with so little value, when you look across the ocean to several societies that do just that in this day and age. But, I also cannot point an accusing finger only at the other societies, when I have studied the statistics that show we here in America have a huge human trafficking and slavery problem. Yes, there is still slavery in America. Not the kind we used to have, but the kind that is underground, where wealthy people bring over foreign students and then enslave them in the family home.
I apologize, I got off topic.
On the study of Lot's wife. I think in looking at the whole picture with the hindsight the Bible affords us, that Lot's wife must not have been all that innocent with the way things were in Sodom & Gomorrah. Her heart was still back there, why we are not given and insight to, but it was evident when she turned to look after being strongly warned not to.
That brings up the current issues of what people do when they are warned that their actions will bring painful consequences. So many, just turn around and do what they please anyway, saying "it won't happen to me".

Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  8:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Part of what I get out of the lesson is how we must live as part of the world but not let it distract us from the truth and the light of Christ. It is so easy to get wrapped up in things that if we took a step back for a moment we would realize that the path we are on is not where we should be. ie. things that we do to keep up with the Joneses, not considering others feelings/experiences when making decisions, being a Sunday christian etc.
I suffer from a severe case of analysis paralysis sometimes in my life where I am too focused on my past. I am slowly learning to try and stay more focused on the future and take it one day at a time. While I regret what could have been I need to learn a lesson from Lot's wife and not look back.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  3:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Boy, not much is known about Lot's wife except that she was urged by the angels to leave with Lot...even taking her by the hand, and that she looked back. I thought I would like to investigate what the Jewish rabbis taught about this interesting woman.I went to a Jewish history site at www.chabad.org. Their narrative is very interesting about occurrences and situations that are passed down in the Torah and Jewish tradition. May I say that a lot of what is taught about the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah lies with Lot. It starts back in Gen 13 when Abram, Sarai, Lot and their possessions moved. It says nothing as to whether Lot was married, so he may have married a Sodomite women when he went to his land. There was a falling out with the herdsmen of both sides. Abram and Lot then went their separate ways with Abram allowing Lot to chose what lands he would take. Lot took the luciousness of the Jordan (he chose the better land). Sodom & Gomorrah was within that land. It is interesting that in that area, there were pits of bitumen (tarry asphalty earth). Even though the land was given to them, they were considered aliens by the natives. The Sodomites did not tolerate being hospitable to strangers. According to the Jewish tradition, when Lot's daughter Plitith offered nourishment to a traveler, the Sodomites burned her in public. Terrible people, but Lot and his family did not move. Anyway, Lot took a dangerous stance when he invited the 2 angels into his house. Lot's daugters were engaged to Sodomites, and they thought Lot was joking when the angels urged all Lot's family to leave. Only Lot, his wife and his 2 dtrs were to leave. I find it interesting that Lot tolerated all the sin in the area, watched his daughter be burned, allowed his dtrs to be engaged to men who obviously did not trust or maybe even believe in G-d. Lot didn't want to go to the mountains but another little city. It says that the angels had to forcible put hands on them to get them out of their house and run away. They didn't seem in a hurry. They left at dawn. I think there were some Sodomites that must have seen them leave...maybe even laughing at them as if they were run off by the Sodomites. They ran and after they got to Zoar, the fire and brimstone started. It was then that Lot's wife looked back. I think it must have been tempting to see what had once been so beautiful, to see what had become of it. However, she had seen the Sodomites become blind by the angels when they tried to break in her door. She should have known. We may not have a present day S& G, but Jesus said in Matt. that if anyone was unhospitable to the apostles, shake the dust from their feet and for that town it would be like S&G. In Jude 1:7,"they (S & G) in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, & are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire." In other scriptures, it eludes that those who did not follow the Lord's commands and allowed filthiness to seep into their lives would be as S&G. BTW, the Jewish historian Josephus identifies the Dead Sea in geographic proximity to the ancient Biblical city of Sodom. However, he refers to the lake by its Greek name, Asphaltites.

Anyway, I found this section interesting, in that Lot and his family continued to live in areas of horrendous sin, where people did not follow G-d's laws (not suggestions...law), allowed their loved ones to become entangled with those who could not hear the heart of G-d, did not help those in need (passersby, and those hungry), and HESITATED & BARGAINED in following those words spoken in their heart or by others that they knew spoke from G-d. It is too easy to turn a blind eye to those things that are not pleasing to God...to ignore the military vet family that is in need, the elderly who has no ride to the doctor, the kids that bully another as we drive by. It is also wrong to say, well, the
Bible was written for another time, that we ignore sin. We may not have to say anything to them, but we most certainly can pray hard for them. There is a lot we can do besides living in a sinful place and ignoring God's words, and looking back to what was, what might have been.

Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  06:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow Claudia what a wealth of information I will have to start checking out the websites. I agree we have to learn to be more active believers and not walk by others in need. I find it hard though trying to understand when it is someone with a true need or someone who has learned to take advantage.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  3:50:44 PM  Show Profile
Lesley, I've been scammed before by a family supposedly in need, but found out that they went from church to church, state to state, getting big boxes of food, clothes and bills paid. I too sometimes do not know who is working the system and those who really need help. One of the lessons I learned with the previous episode, was that I really didn't pray about the matter. If someone was coming to the church, speaking the right words, it must be ok. I have to believe that if I had really taken it to the Lord, I would have felt an uneasyness in my gut if it was not the right thing to help. I don't know. It was the kids I really felt sorry for. Buying the kids an outfit or 2 probably wouldn't have been too bad, and I just asked the Lord to bless these people and set them on the right path.

Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  5:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Around here it has been hard because they are everywhere. I cannot go to the grocery store without someone asking for a "favor" and the stories are getting a little more creative. But I have noticed that its the ones not asking that seem to need it more so I try to keep my eyes and ears open for those situations.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  8:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah- Her name probably means "loop" or "tie"

Hard-working and generous, her faith was so great that she left her home forever to marry a man she had never seen or met. Yet, she played favorites with her sons and failed to trust God fully for the promise he had made.

Scripture: Genesis 24;25:19-34;26:1-28

Questions to inspire discussion:

1. What does the first information about young Rebekah tell you about her looks and character (24:12-27)? How are you like Rebekah? How are you different?

2. Three simple words (24:58) changed Rebekah's life forever. Who was she like in her willingness to go where she had never been before? How would you react if God called you away from home and family? What would have to happen to make you obey?

3. What do you think Isaac's and Rebekah's married life was like in the early days? How do you think their favoritism affected Jacob and Esau? How do/would you avoid this with your own children?

4. How are Rebekah's actions like her mother in law Sarah? Why do you think she resorted to trickery to gain the promise given to her when she was pregnant? Do you think Rebekah regretted her actions?

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  7:33:32 PM  Show Profile
With what's going on in my life right now its hard to imagine Rebekah's resolve to leave everything familiar to meet and marry a man she has never met. I feel so overwhelmed with indecision on whether following my husband's need to return to Fort Worth is right for me. There are so many what if's. I wonder if any what if's went through Rebekah's mind. I also wonder how she knew God was leading her. I sometimes question myself on how I know whether God is leading me or if it is my own justification or other influences that lead me in a direction. In today's mass communication world it is so important to sit and be quiet so that you can hear God's voice. Was it easier back in Rebekah's time?

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  12:37:40 PM  Show Profile
Well, Lesley, I see that it is taking others as it has myself to read, assimilate and produce some thoughts that may be worth putting down. Sarah had died, Isaac was living apart from Abraham, and Abraham wanted to assure that Isaac married the "right" kind of woman. I found it interesting that when speaking of Rebekah, she was always referred to as the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor. It was important that Milkah's name was given to show Rebekah came from the wife of Nahor, not his concubines. She was trained as a servant which most women were, as it was the man who held the control. However, as with Sarah, women have their ways of asserting their wishes, even if it was deceitful. Back up...she was kind and helpful and the servant knew that God had answered his prayer for the correct woman. I believe it was the custom to go where she was told and marry whom she was to marry. She may have had other ideas, and was not really happy about the deal, but it doesn't say. Isaac was 40 when they married, and it took 20 years for the twins to be born, as Isaac was 60. I wonder if there was tension in that I'm sure Abraham's promise from God to populate the earth was well known by Isaac. Esau was born very hairy. Most babes have lanugo (fine hair)that can be shed shortly after birth. As the first born, Esau had a double portion of property etc as his birthright. For whatever reason, Isaac favored him. Maybe Rebekeh favored Jacob, the conniver, because Isaac made no bones about Esau being the chosen. I suspect that some parents have favorites for many reasons...maybe they are more obedient or the mother prefers one sex over another. Who knows. But those feelings being so strong that she helped take away the blessing of her other son, makes me feel that it was not a happy family....no share and share alike.Rebekeh took things into her own hands as did Sarah. Not a wise thing to do to our husbands and definitely wrong to do with God. Again, I think it was a lack of faith that God loved them all & work take care of both. Who knows what would have happened, if Esau had not sold her birthright. Always fun to speculate.

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  04:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Lesley we can make ourselves crazy with "what ifs" Trust is not an easy thing but God has proven many times we can trust Him.Perhaps Rebekah had that kind of trust? Not just a cultural obedience? He can take care of you in Edmonds or Fort Worth. I dont know the details fo your circumstances but fear can be a crippler that never lets us see the great things God has waiting for us. "Be still and know that I am God" verse came to me when reading your comment. I dont think Rebekah's time had it easier. We are all placed in the time God wants us for the work He has for us to do that only we can do. With the greater problems of our time come greater opportunities.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page