Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam Next Topic
Page: of 3

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  7:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for the delayed response, I have been busy just trying to balance my life lately. I think in some ways the story of Isaac and Rebekah exemplify how we have to allow things to happen in God's time and not our own. Both Sarah and Rebekah tried to manipulate the situation instead of trusting in God. I think as wives and mothers we have to be careful to not cross the lines into being manipulative, rather than just being influential. I think its a question of what's at the heart of it. If you are doing something for your own individual benefit it is on the manipulative side of things. Whereas being influential is more based on what is the common good. I think being called to live a God lead life calls us to make sure we keep on the influential side of things. I think we have to learn to really let go and let God guide us.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  6:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Rachel- Her name means "Ewe".

Manipulated by her father, she had little say over her own life circumstances and relationships. But rather than dealing creatively with a difficult situation, she behaved like a perpetual victim, responding to sin with yet more sin, making things worse by competing with her sister and deceiving her father in return.

Scripture: Genesis 29-35, Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:18

Some questions to start discussion:

1) How do you think most women would respond to the situation in which Rachel found herself (29:30)? With love and concern for her unloved sister? or with a spirit of superiority and pride?

2)These two sisters each had something the other wanted. What did Rachel have that Leah wanted? What did Leah have that Rachel wanted? Is there any way their relationship could have been different considering the circumstances?

3)Discontentment is an insidious thing, trapping us into thinking that which was enough is no longer enough, and that which is satisfying is no longer satisfying. Do you ever feel discontent because you don't "have it all"? What can you do to resist such sentiments?

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  7:13:26 PM  Show Profile
I find the cultural practice of polygamy very hard to understand. It seems to be a culture which is set up to provoke jealousy and spiritual discontent. How could a woman in this environment fail to respond in the way in which both Leah and Rachel did? Why did God allow this? I find that in the New Testament, Jesus treated women much differently than the prevailing culture.

As a woman, I feel that I am just as much of a "person" or "human being" as my husband is, our genders are a happy accident.

Serial monogamy, which is practice today in the US, is not much better than polygamy, IMHO.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  8:12:40 PM  Show Profile
What does IMHO stand for? What is serial monogamy?
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile
I think serial monogamy would be when you get married and divorced a couple of times. I think IMHO means in my humble opinion.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  6:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Thank you. Learn something everyday
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  4:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting Lesley, that is exactly right...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  8:09:42 PM  Show Profile
I work in a technical field where I deal with acronym's everyday. It can get interesting trying to define some of them, also very good for laugh's when you ask people to be creative with the definitions.
With this passage I have always struggled with the relationship between Leah and Rachel. Maybe never having sisters and only brothers makes it a little harder to understand. Would two sisters really let that much animosity get between them? It makes me wonder if they were at odds all through their childhood too. Maybe part of my struggle is also the idea behind multiple wives which is so different from what we are used to. But in their time it was a familiar way of life so wouldn't having your sister as another wife be a good thing?

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  07:49:54 AM  Show Profile
I fought with mine over sharing a sweater much less a husband!!!
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  9:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Ladies since it is the holiday weekend and I am dealing with family issues I will post the next installment September 5th.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  9:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Tamar-Daughter In Law of Judah, her name means "Date Tree" or "Palm Tree"

Driven by one overwhelming need, she sacrificed her reputation and nearly her life to achieve her goals.

Scripture Genesis 38; Matthew 1:3

As abhorrent as it seems to us, prostitution was actually an expression of worship in the ancient Near East. Pagan peoples often believed that fertility gods granted blessings to those who practiced cultic prostitution.
Prostitution was the imagery used often by the biblical prophets to describe Israel's waywardness, their proneness to follow false gods. They saw God as the husband of Israel, her keeper and her true love. Whenever the Israelites turned from the true God to false gods, they "prostituted" themselves. It is a strong picture, but an accurate one of turning away from the God who truly loved them and was willing to care for them and watch over them, if only they would remain true to him. Tamar's story shock's us and takes us by surprise. We recoil from the sordid details of prostitution and find little to inspire us. Yet stories like Tamar's are what makes the Bible so believable. Who would ever invent such a thing, then record it not only in the historical narrative but also in the lineage of the Messiah? Only the God of eternal surprises- the God who takes the unfit, the desperate, and the profane, and uses them to his eternal and holy purposes.

Questions for discussion:

1. None of the men in Tamar's life fulfilled their responsibilities to her, including her father-in-law, Judah (38:11). Describe how you think Tamar must have been feeling throughout the course of these events. Why do you think she was so desperate to have a child.

2. What do you think of Judah's response to the news that Tamar was pregnant (38:24)? Was it a double standard for him to condemn her actions but not his own? Do such double standards exist today?

3. Tamar's inclusion in the lineage of Christ tells you about God's power to bring good out of tragic events. How has God worked good out of the bad things that have happened to you or to someone you know?

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  4:16:31 PM  Show Profile
I will be gone for several weeks, so unfortunately I can't contribute or read what is said. I hope that many will read and write their thoughts about those who lived before us. Blessings on you all.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  8:47:30 PM  Show Profile
It's been a while since I have been on, but I do have an opinion on this topic. In answer to the second question. I do think there is a huge double standard. Men have always gotten away with treating women this way for a majority of cultures. But in this day and age, we are coming around, except where people resist the truth about how a man should treat a woman.
In response to the third point. I think not only was God bringing good out of bad, He was saying women have a right to be treated fairly. Too bad the culture was deaf to his response.
I don't agree with the policy of passing a woman from man to man in order to bring about an heir, but I do agree with Tamar standing up for what was right. And I believe God's response was in accord with it too.

Life's too short to sit in a box all day. Get out and do something creative.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  3:51:01 PM  Show Profile
I always struggle with bible stories that in essence are against how one should live, or conduct oneself but in each one there is a lesson to be learned. I can see an example of how sometimes as women we cannot be passive. I sometimes wonder why there is not more background to the story. What was her relationship with the Lord at this time? Is this a case where God influenced the situation because Judah was not providing for Tamar. I know in these times the only way a woman could secure a future was to provide sons and she was not given the opportunity with the previous 2 husbands and Judah prevented the 3rd son from providing an heir. I think this verse reflects poorly on the men in her life and I feel God did have a plan because it his He who decides if a child is to come.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  8:00:30 PM  Show Profile
I also struggle with this passage. I am the firstborn child of my parents, my father made a great deal of this, but also since I am a "girl" he made a big deal of my brother who was the firstborn son. In fact when he passed away my father made sure that the land was left to his firstborn "SON" not me, his firstborn daughter, or my two other sisters.

In old testament times there were a lot of rules arouund sons and inheritance, including how the wives should be impregnated to keep the family lineage going. Tamar essentially had to prostitute herself in order to gain her child's rightful inheritance. I have a very hard time understanding this.

I don't understand this as I love my two daughters equally, and also in different ways. They have different personalities and different needs. I do not have sons, but I have three grandsons and no granddaughters. This grieves me.

Edited by - brightmeadow on Sep 11 2012 8:02:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  10:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I too am grieved by this type of story in the Bible, and I think it's because there are other stories that show God is in favor of equality. The one that comes to mind is the one where the man only had girls, and the community at large was dividing up the land. The short of it is that, God left a sign to tell them to let the daughters inherit the land just like the sons. Why didn't that lesson get learned instead of the other???? I don't know. I just know it is up to us women to LOVINGLY help the male population see the correct ways of God in regards to the equality of women. :}

Life's too short to sit in a box all day. Get out and do something creative.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  04:58:20 AM  Show Profile
While she was going thru all of that would she ever have imagined her name written in the lineage of the Messiah Matt 1:3? Sometimes life makes no sense and we just need to trust God has a plan.
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  7:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, sorry for the delay in posting the next study. Life has been a little crazy lately.

Miriam- Her name may mean "Bitterness"

Even as a young girl, she showed fortitude and wisdom. A leader of God's people at a crucial moment in history, she led the celebration after crossing the Red Sea and spoke God's word to his people, sharing their forty-year journey through the wilderness.

Scripture: Exodus 2:1-10;15:20-21;Numbers 12:1-15

In biblical times, people danced to celbrate happy events and to praise God. Dancing in scriptures is always linked to joy and happiness. The presence of mourning means the absence of dancing (lam 5:15) and there is a time for both. (Ecclesiastes 3:4). The very first mention of dancing in the Scripture is when Miriam led the Israelite women in a dance to celebrate God's miraculous defeat of the Egyptians. Imagine what it was like to run between the walls of water with the Egyptian chariots close behind, fearing for their lives. Fear gave away to a thrill of excitement.
Just as Miriam and the women couldn't help but dance with joy, so when God does a wonderful work in our lives we sometimes respond in much the same manner- our faces break into smiles, our hands are lifted up, and our feet can't remain still.

Thoughts for discussion:

1) How do you think you would have felt and responded in the situation Miriam and the women found themselves in? Would you have danced? Or would you have celebrated in another form of praise? If so, what?

2)Referring to Numbers 12:1-15 what do you think that Aaron and Miriam had against Moses' "cush**e" wife? Do you think the wife was the real problem? What do you think was the real problem and real reason for the attack?

3)Why did God punish? Why do you think Miriam was singled out and not Aaron? How do you think Miriam's punishment affected Aaron?

4)If you were in Miriam's position, what would go through your mind during the seven days outside of the camp? What do you think Miriam was feeling and thinking?

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  06:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Lesley,
I'm going to try and take a look at these and post later.
Thank you for your time that you put into these studies!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page