Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam Next Topic
Page: of 3

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  8:23:52 PM  Show Profile
There has been some interest in starting a new Bible Study. I thought it would be nice to do one on the Women of the Bible. We will walk through the Bible looking at some of the Women's lives and their stories, reflecting on how their lives intersect with ours today. Hopefully through each of our reflections to the questions that are posted, we will be able to help each other grow in our faith. I hope to give you a brief summary about the woman we are studying, a scripture reading and some questions to start some dialogue only as a guideline. We can take the discussion wherever God leads us as we reflect on the topic.

Our first woman, has to be Eve. The meaning of her name is "life giving" or "Mother of All Who Have Life". She came into the world perfectly at peace with God and with her husband, the only other person on the planet. She lived in Paradise, possessing every pleasure imaginable. She never knew the meaning of embarrassment, misunderstanding, hurt, estrangement, envy, bitterness, grief, or guilt until she listened to her enemy and began to doubt God.

Please read and reflect on Genesis 1:26-31;Genesis 2-4

1.How easily do you think the serpent deceived Eve? Do you think she ate of the fruit the first time the serpent approached her, or did he wear her down over a period of time?
2.Why did Eve eat the fruit?
3.Eve rationalized her sin, what sort of reasons do you come up with to rationalize your sin?
4.What does God do for Adam and Eve after he declares their punishment? What does it tell you about God? What do you think he is willing to do for you when you have sinned and repented?

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa

Edited by - erowease on Sep 26 2012 7:53:32 PM

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  9:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Lesley,
Thank you for starting this!
I am hit and miss on forums lately but will try as best I can to check in. Will read the lesson tomorrow.
Have a good nite,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  1:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi this sounds like a good study i will read it as soon as i can and hopefully post some thoughts.

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  6:16:31 PM  Show Profile
i think eve ate the fruit the first time she was approached. it doesnt take any of us much convincing to do something we know is wrong, but want to do anyway. luckily we have a forgiving and loving God who forgives us our sins if we ask and belief He died on the cross and rose again and sent us the Holy Spirit to counsel and comfort us.i feel very fortunate to have the Lord in my life.

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  07:14:50 AM  Show Profile
I have always looked at this as an example of how we can have everything but still want more. That wanting leaves us susceptible to the tricks and attacks by Satan. I think Eve is an example of how we need to focus on what we have been given not on what we don't have which is different from what the world teaches us. It is always too easy to twist the words etc. to justify what we are doing/have done. We must be able to take a step back, admit our sins and ask for forgiveness.
I think the passage about what God does for Adam and Eve after the punishment has been dished out shows what a loving, caring God he is and that through it all he will not abandon us.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa

Edited by - erowease on Jul 13 2012 07:18:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  07:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Lesley I too want to thank you for taking the time and effort to prepare this study for us. I had never thought of the possibility Eve might have been tempted various occasions before giving in. That is what I love about study. Opens us up to see new things. Sometimes when we do something we know we shouldnt do it seems we seek out others behaving that way to make it not seem so bad to ourselves. Eve only had one other person to seek out and in this case used her influence to help him stumble also.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  11:11:28 AM  Show Profile
I too want to thank you Lesley for starting this study. I had missed it until today. Before I answer any of your questions, I want to go back to how God created all, including Adam & Eve. As an old Rabbi told me once, the Jews may repeat something twice to emphasize it and tell it in a different way. That way the hearer or the reader gets it. Chapter 1 is an overview of creation and chap 2 after stating that the 7th day was sanctified, specifics are given in creation. (v8 onward) If you notice, God made the Garden and in the middle was the Tree of Life...also nthe tree of the knowledge of good and evil. In v 15, God took "the man" Adam and placed him in the garden to tend it. Adam was to name all the living creatures. It was to Adam alone that God told about what trees to eat. If he ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he "would surely die." It is then that God says that Adam should not be alone and He then makes Eve for companionship and to help him tend the garden. Chap 3, it starts that the serpent came to Eve. Why? For many reasons I think. Apart from all that has been said about eve...she was not even made when God told Adam about which tree to leave alone. That appears to have been Adam's job to tell her. Not communicated? Miscommunicated so that Eve got it all screwed up? Obviously, to me at least, Adam had not gained the skill of becoming one (flesh) with Eve and sharing with her, his helpmate, the importance of not eating from THAT tree. I don't think Adam wanted her to die. The serpent phrased his words very carefully as to fool Eve, if she didn't have a good understanding. I think sometimes, we may not really understand the consequences of our actions. We may know partly, but as to the understanding that sin brings death? No...I don't think eve had a clue...and who knows where Adam's head was.

Now I will continue reading and pondering what questions you asked Lesley. So glad you are doing this!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Edited by - buffypuff on Jul 15 2012 11:29:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Awesome points given by everyone!
I especially have never really thought of it from the perspective of perhaps Eve having everything yet still wanting more.
I think even when we may feel that we have all that we need and sometimes even want? Satan comes in like a flood to let us know quickly how much better off we can be.... That never ending 'if only' trap!!
He is so cunning with Eve and as he does with us....seems to know the weaknesses to get at her with!!I feel that she may have struggled at least a little bit as she has some answers to the serpent as to why she can't eat of 'that fruit' !
But as with us, he manages to create a dialogue with her and she ultimately begins to talk herself into believing his lies and seems to feel she deserves that higher knowledge?!!
I think that even thru the years up to today's times....isn't that how he gets to most of us still?
It begins as we listen to his lies, begin to dialogue back in our heads, and then rationalize why we should have or do what God has led us against!
Often times its not even a 'thing or situation'.
It's for me... Very often letting him convince me that I am less than and unworthy of God. That every mistake was my last chance so to speak.

I am just this year learning to remember scripture and say the back to remind myself of Gods truth rather than satans lies.
I hope this made sense?

FaRmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  09:29:04 AM  Show Profile
Great points by everyone, I love this. Its funny for how many times I have read this part of scripture I never caught onto that God told Adam when Eve wasn't there. Hmmm, is that the first instance of miscommunication between the sexes?
I think part of what is being pointed out to me after reading some of the comments is that I must choose my friends wisely. If I am going to walk with Christ and live a life that glorifies his name I need to be surrounded by people who are doing the same. In this way when Satan is attempting to enter, I have a foundation of friends who will help me stay strong and do the right thing.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  3:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Lesley,
It's so very true to have the right people around us to hold us accountable, pray with us, lift us up and most certainly us for them!

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  7:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Any more comments? I will post the next installment Wednesday night. I think I will try and add the name of the women we are studying each week in the title so it is easy to see when I have updated it.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  7:27:02 PM  Show Profile
This is such a great idea! I'm in!

The Vintage Garden Girl @blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  06:18:41 AM  Show Profile
I think that with the cunning of the serpent, his wording confused her. She had not know evil, and to think someone would not be truthful was unknown to her. When the serpent started to question God's rules she should have left. She didn't. She said that the tree that they were not to eat was in the middle of the garden...not so. The serpent went to eve because she had not heard the rule directly from God. And when she ate the fruit...she gave it to Adam, who was with her. He knew better. I think that it is important for each of us to know God's promises and rules through His Word and not rely on someone else to teach us. We must dig in. Since she had not encountered falsehood, we have, and we should always question when someone tries to question us or teach us. We must go back to the source. Also, Eve was to be a helper to her husband, but she led him in to accepting the fruit even though Adam knew he shouldn't. We have great influence over our husbands, and we should be careful what we are doing also.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

countryteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Deanna
Jameson Missouri
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  10:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Why did God say that there was only one tree that they could not eat from? Eve had some knowledge of this because she told the serpent she couldn't eat of the tree in the mist of the garden. But there were two trees in the mist of the garden that are mentioned. The serpent had a thread of truth in his attempt to persuade Eve to sin. When we are tempted, sin many times looks good. But, the results are not very good! The serpent was right Eve did not die immediately, but her sin condemended all mankind to death. All three Adam, Eve, and the serpent were punished. Adam had to work and the ground would be cursed with thorns and thistles. Eve would have pain in childbirth and her husband would rule over her. The serpents punishment was that he had to crawl on his belly. Then Adam and Eve had to leave the beautiful garden that God had prepared for them. But God has given us all a way to escape sin and that is through his Son. He has also prepared a beautiful place for all who do his will! Blessed are they who do his commandments that they may have a right to the tree of live (that was in the Garden of Eden)that they may enter in through the gates into the city (heaven) Rev.22:14.
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  6:39:08 PM  Show Profile
I think the serpent/satan can be very subtle where he tries to put us on a path of sin and we have to learn how to watch out for it. I guess in many ways we need to always ask ourselves "what is the motivation" and try to stay focused on Christ.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  04:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Lesley I like the idea of putting the womans name in the title so we know when we change. I am looking forward to seeing what you post tonight.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  4:28:15 PM  Show Profile
I think that there is always a little truth in a lie. That makes us better able to accept it and sin. I think that Eve did know that she was not suppose to eat the fruit of the tree and she did suffer a spiritual death when she and Adam ate of the fruit of the tree. She and Adam then had sin in their life so their perfect relationship with God changed. They showed they knew of the sin also because they saw that they were naked and covered themselves. The serpent did not appear to startle or scare Adam and Eve he just was subtle and talked them into doing something that they knew was not good. If we are with people we can also be talked into sinning by rationalizing the sin out and thinking it is not that big of a deal. God cares for us and wants a relationship so bad that he made a way that we can return to him even though sin may have a hold on us. Jesus Christ and our relationship with him is our answer.

Thank you for this discussion I am really looking forward to learning from you ladies.
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  7:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarah- Her name means "Chieftainess" or "Princess". In Bible times names had a significance they often do not have today. The names given to children give us a glimpse into their personal experience, sometimes reflecting their emotional response to a situation.

Beautiful enough to attract rulers in the ancient world, she could be strong-willed and jealous. Yet Sarah was considered a loyal wife, who did what was right and who didn't give in to fear.

Scripture: Genesis 12:1-20,16:1-8,17:1-22,18:1-15,21:1-13
Galatians 4:22-31

Questions to help with reflections:
1. Put yourself in Sarah's position. Do you think you might of laughed also? Why or Why not?

2. Have you ever waited for God to fulfill a promise? How did you feel? What did you do?

3. God used Sarah in spite of her failings, her impatience. How can God use you in spite of your imperfections?

4. Do you know the meaning of your name? Does this have any significance to you? If you were to ask God to change your name, what would you want your name to be?

Lesley

Edited by - erowease on Jul 18 2012 7:32:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  7:29:10 PM  Show Profile
It's funny my name means "watcher of the grey fortress" or "calm spirit" that describes me well. It really fits. It makes me think that God whispers our names to our parents before we are born.
I am not sure if I would have laughed like Sarah because all things are possible with God. I may have asked myself more of question of "Can I do this?" and all the other worries that run through your head. I think it is how many life turning events happen, where at first you doubt your ability etc. and then you slowly work through everything till you get to acceptance. I think in our relationship with God we need to work on getting to acceptance sooner. Instead of asking the "why" maybe we need to concentrate on the "how" and look for God's influence in our lives.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  9:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Did you ever wonder why God did not chastise Abraham for laughing? You know he did it too. I don't think it was the laugh that got her in trouble so much as the thoughts and intents of the heart behind the laugh.
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  10:27:03 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm maybe its a difference that while Abraham laughed, it was more from the idea of "can this really be true, we are so old" from a perspective of wonderment; at the core of it he still believed. Meanwhile Sarah's laughing was more of a questioning from the standpoint of disbelief...or that the amount of doubt was different?....I think it also is because Sarah denied laughing. It is something to think about since we can't really know what was really running through their thoughts. Maybe it had more to do with the actions of each.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  9:09:49 PM  Show Profile
ok this isnt one of the questions but I reading the Gen 12 part and in vs 11-20 I was thinking if that were me I might have been a bit put out with my husband selling me out like that to save his own skin. I think that would be hard to forgive and make me lose respect for him a bit. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  11:32:44 AM  Show Profile
You and I are from a different generation, and culture, so I agree, there would have been no "us" after that. But, I look at the culture in the mideast that still treats women as property and see where that thought goes. Wish I had what it took to get MEN to see women were not created for chattel, but for helpmeets as stated in the beginning. Then again, which modern day religions border on this behavior here in America?? While I am on it, I am ultimately thankful that I have a hubby that IS one of the correct thinking men.
Back to Sarah, she had to be a very strong person to go through all she went through. AND she had to REALLY trust God to get her through it, so I respect her.
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading a book, "Finding God in Quiet Places" by F. LaGard Smith and in a chapter called Seasons he talked about Abraham and Sarah which I think put some of this in perspective for me. "By Faith Abraham even though he was past age--and Sarah herself was barren--was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise. It didn't matter that Abraham and Sarah were far beyond the season of having children. God had promised, God was faithful, and God delivered!" It made me remember that we must have faith no matter what the circumstances.
Yes, there is always struggles when reading passages from the bible in regards to male/female roles based on our experiences and lifestyle here in this generation but we must not let it distract us from the message of faith that is being presented. I always refer back to the new testament where in Ephesians 6 Paul discusses the relationship between husband and wife is like the relationship between Christ and the church. A husband should lead but not in a way that is not loving and caring for the wife. I think at times the boundaries are overstepped and that is where we as wives have to learn forgiveness as Christ forgives.

Lesley

Edited by - erowease on Jul 24 2012 07:38:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  9:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Hagar- Her name is Egyptian and may mean "fugitive" or "Immigrant".

A foreigner and slave, she let pride overtake her when she became Abraham's wife. A lonely woman with few resources, she suffered harsh punishment for her mistake. She obeyed God's voice as soon as she heard it and was given a promise that her son would become the father of a great nation.

Scripture: Genesis 16, 21:8-21;Galatians 4:22-31

We cannot complete the study of Abraham and Sarah without looking at Hagar. Hagar, an Egyptian, probably became a slave to Abraham and Sarah when they left Egypt. Leaving her homeland behind, she made herself useful and proved herself trustworthy, becoming Sarah's maidservant which was a position of some importance in the household. Sarah must have had confidence and perhaps affection for Hagar to want her to be the surrogate mother of her son. Such practices were common in her day. Infertile women urged their husbands to sleep with their maidservants to gain a child and heir for the family. Their children became the property and sometimes the heirs of their masters. As female slaves, they had no choice in the matter. They had no rights and no one to defend them.

Questions to consider for discussion:

1. Sarah's proposition (16:2) was a customary one of that day. Hagar had little say, but she must have had some reaction to the proposition. What do you think Hagar's reaction might have been?

2. What reactions do you have when you find yourself in a situation over which you have no control? How can God help you when you are in such a position?

3. Even though Hagar and Ishmael were outcasts and alone, God lovingly cared for them. Describe how you think Hagar felt when she laid Ishmael down and went away because she "could not watch the boy die". How did God meet her needs? In what way has God met your needs when you were despairing and alone?

4. Are you in a desperate situation right now? Read Genesis 21:19 again. Might there be a "well" to which you can go for sustenance, if only you could see it? Ask God to open your eyes to the way out of your situation just as he opened Hagar's eyes and aided her in her desperation.

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  04:42:18 AM  Show Profile
I love this! I'd really love to study the women of the bible, they were all so fascinating. Such an inspiration, and quite the farm girls in there day!

Lorie

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study- Women of the Bible-Miriam Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page