Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  2:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Although I am very earth oriented, I am not a witch. I'm writing because my dh and I are going to spend theday in Salem, Mass and I just wondered if anyone wanted anything "witchy" from Salem. We have been there before and really enjoyed the day, but that was years ago, so I am excited to be going back.
We're going on Saturday, so if you want something I need to know that by Friday night. Thanks, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  3:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Oooh! Joey! I'm so jealous! This is a wonderful time of year to visit Salem! The drama of nature simply makes all the history come that much more alive! All the colors of autumn will simply take your breath away!!! I really, really hope you get to visit the House of Seven Gables - it's a wonderful, wonderful place - you will love it! The tour is fantastic and the house itself is full of surprises and wonderful stories. I just love it there. And if the taffy shop up the street is still open, you'll love watching it being made... it's simply the yummiest! I haven't been for years... oh the memories! When I was a kid it was always one of my favorite field trips. The history museums and art museum are fascinating! And if you can get to Pickering Wharf, they used to have the most amazing antique place - an entire building chock full of collectibles, antiques and history!!! Will you be visiting Old Salem Village? Oh! And I hope you get to see THE Witch of Salem, Laurie Cabot, too. If you see her, you will know her, believe me. She's very beautiful, extremely pleasant and her clothing is so dramatic! A trip to Salem just wouldn't be a trip to Salem without catching a glimpse of her! :)

Ohhh! If you get the opportunity, do hop over to Marblehead, the town next door, if you can, too. You'll have to stop at Stowaway Sweets, for sure - you'll get a toothache just walking through the door! And do go see Fort Sewall and all of the mansions over on the neck (amazing!). The Jeremiah Lee Mansion is another must see... And don't forget to check out the Old North Church, Abbot Hall, Old Burial Hill and the Marblehead Museum & Historical Society! And Old Town... Oh my gosh... driving down those historical streets will take your breath away. All the old buildings... the extremely narrow roads... This time of year, especially, you should see it at night. All the candles in the windows make you feel like you've taken a trip back in time.. but the cars lining the narrow roads (I can't stress "narrow" enough) will cause you to grab the dashboard and hold your breath at every twist and turn! LOL! You'll see...

I'm so excited for you... There is just so much to see and do... So much history... So much NEW ENGLAND! I'm so homesick just thinking about it!!! I soooo wish I could be your tour guide... I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy every moment of your visit in Salem!!! I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing all about it!!! Just be really careful of the crazy drivers and the busy narrow roads, okay? And please take pictures and post them for us to see, okay?! I would love to see them!

Big hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  3:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Duh... I just saw that this will be your second visit, Joey! LOL! Weeelllll, maybe I've given you some ideas for "haunts" to visit that you might not have caught next time! Wherever you go, whatever you see and do, enjoy it for me, okay? :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you, Joey! To be in Salem in October, close to Halloween. Have a lot of fun. Let us know all about the day. Pictures would be nice.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  6:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you can bring me back that beautiful, old, oak tree in the witches cemetery if you can fit it in your purse! I was there a long time ago and still remember how it made me feel.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  7:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Well, we went to Salem, MA last Saturday and duh! what was I thinking? It was MOBBED!! NO parking spaces, tons of people, no room to move anywhere. Even the fast food deli was a 45 min. wait for a sandwich. DH and I stayed 2 hours and went home. UGH!!
We went back onWednesday. It was almost empty. We parked for hours, went in shops and ate..had a wonderful day.
Nini, you made me chuckle..so many things to do that we could have been busy for a month. Your passion for the place sincerely came through and you gave us great directions. We went to The Willows and just loved it. Such an old fashioned, sweet place. We walked the beach there and found a little seaglass. We also went to Marblehead and LOVED it there. So many old houses and quaint shops, it was such an interesting place. We went to the beach there and found some seaglass there too. Such a wonderful day. Thanks for telling us where to go. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Shopping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page