Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 pregnant dog dumped- updated pics on page5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pregnant dog dumped- updated pics on page5 Next Topic
Page: of 4

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  08:47:09 AM  Show Profile
We had a dog that had traveled many miles after being dumped. she showed up at our house 23 days ago. She looks to be an English setter and was severely emaciated and dehydrated....she was lucky to weigh 35 lbs. She could hardly hold her head up. We knew she was pregnant but didn't know when to expect babies.She showed up late Sunday night.We fed her good food and water and made her a bed and hoped she would make it through the night. The next day we bathed her and pulled over 120 ticks and killed thousands of fleas. She was full of sores.After going to the vet we frontlined her to keep off any new fleas and ticks.After she has her pups the vet said I could worm her safely.

The Birth. We were not set up or ready for pups and wondered if she could even have them in the condition she was in.We build a pen and 33 hours of showing up I helped her deliver 11 pups They looked pretty healthy considering.All that was left when she had the pups was the skinniest dog I have ever seen in my life. She looked like a spine and ribcage. Its was horrible. She in no way has enough milk so I am mixing puppy replacer and goat milk and bottling them 3 times a day. They are doing great and the mom is improving and she is a super good mama. I have to say I am super tired and they have kept me busy with bottling, laundry and cleaning up after them.I was so stressed out for the first week because I thought I would lose the mom or the pups or even all of them. They are 3 weeks old today and are quite fat little pups. I am working on finding good homes for them.
There are 8 girls and 3 boys.

The mama who I am fondly calling Darla now has a shiny coat and the sores have healed up.She still has a ways to go on gaining more weight. She eats more food than my other 3 big dogs combined. Her favorite goodie on her food is scrambled eggs and cooked burger. I am feeding her as much as she wants. She is a really good natured sweet dog. After she has dried up and done nursing I am going to have her spayed. I went from 3 dogs to 12 new ones in less than 33 hours. Life is crazy sometimes.

Anyway just wanted to share with everyone. I have been so tied up with them and my other farm animals and dealing with this horrible drought we have been in I have not had time to post.

Update:Nubiedane(Lisa) posted pictures for me on page #2. I didn't know how to make it work. Thanks so much Lisa!

Take care

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Aug 01 2012 08:36:40 AM

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  09:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh goodness!! Just too crazy and what a story. Take pictures and go to your local newpaper and tell them what happened. Maybe they will print it and many may be interested in taking one of the pups when they are ready. The first couple of months they learn so much about environment and people so it is a good thing they are in your caring home. Best to you.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  6:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
Thank you for caring and spending the time and money to help this poor dog and her babies. It is people like you reinforce that animals deserve respect, love, and give back that love ten fold. I would love to see a photo of the new family. You are truly awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  7:42:25 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful person and what a wonderful soul you have. You are, indeed, my kind of person. Thanks for what you've done for that dog, Darla. I hope and pray that you are blessed beyond belief. Hugs to the puppies and their mom.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  8:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Wish I lived closer so I could help you out. Such a sad experience that the mother had to go through but glad that all are doing well now. I hope you are able to find wonderful homes for all of the puppies. Thank you for sharing, I will keep you in my prayers.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  8:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bless your heart! I was almost afraid to read the post...So happy I did.

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  9:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I second what Pamela Jean said, "Bless your heart". I wanted to add, please keep us posted on the puppies and the mom. And- thanks for sharing such a beautiful story.
Malry

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  10:43:07 AM  Show Profile
God bless you Linda! What a wonderful thing you are doing for the poor Momma dog and her puppies. She sure knew what house to come to! I would love to see pictures when you get a chance. We are having the same drought and awful heat. She would have surely died and her pups too, if not for your kindness.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  12:58:44 PM  Show Profile
God Bless you!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  1:03:32 PM  Show Profile
What a great story!your heart of compassion is an example to us.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  03:47:19 AM  Show Profile
So cool. Glad everyone is doing well.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  09:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.
The pups are 16 days old and are growing by leaps and bounds. Their eyes opened about 7 days ago and they are walking around pretty darn good. They now are playing and barking and growling at each other. I am seeing such cute personalites emerging. The past few days I have been making them a puppy gruel with goat milk and they seem to be really enjoying it.
I keep them in the basement in a kennel most of the day until 9 at night because we are in a heat wave. We are suppose to hit 101 today and heat index will be well over 109. They just can't be outside I am afraid they would not make it. They sure love the basement. Its 70 degrees down there and mama (Darla) is enjoying it also.

I wish I knew how to post pictures on here. I finally got highspeed internet 2 weeks ago. We have been on dialup for over 12 years. They finally updated the phone lines. Its really nice. What took hours to down load only takes minutes. Sure wish I could post a picture.

Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 05 2012 09:48:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  09:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Linda, Thank you for taking care of Darla and her pups!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  09:58:23 AM  Show Profile
Linda
Send me your pics & I will post some. Do you want me to post the 1st that you sent me? I know the pups were only a day old or so; if you have more recent ones I will post for you, just send them my way.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  10:45:07 AM  Show Profile
Bless your sweet heart, Linda--I really love your heart. Poor girl, but I know with your care she is rebounding and those pups will be happy and healthy because of your care.

As angry as it makes me that someone didn't care enough for her to alter her or show her kindness, Mother Nature takes care of her creatures--she whispered in Darla's ear and said, "this is a safe place." And for that, I am so grateful for you!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  10:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, will you email me the pics you get and I'll post them on FB?

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  10:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Uploading these for Linda

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  11:09:45 AM  Show Profile
I am so tickled Lisa that these pictures showed up so well. I really like the closeup of Darla's face. She is a sweetie.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  11:16:32 AM  Show Profile
She's an absolute stunner--what sort of crazy person would dump out this gorgeous creature???!!! Of course I know what sort, but I'm not allowed to type it here, I don't think--ladies present, and all

What a motley mix of pups--in the best sense of the word!

Will you keep Darla, Linda? I'm certain the pups can find placement, but she sure would be difficult to part with....

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  11:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Linda (and Lisa)...I've posted them on facebook for all my local (and not local) friends. Fingers crossed!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  11:36:25 AM  Show Profile
they dumped her because she was bred by another breed/mutt, and some people have this notion, that if a purebred gets bred that way, they are ruined, and always will have mutt puppies, really silly, but I have heard this many times from ignorant people, over the years... PS, remember she is a bird dog, so becareful around chickens and poultry till you are sure she isn't going to retrieve them all for you...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

Edited by - oldbittyhen on Jul 05 2012 11:38:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  11:55:11 AM  Show Profile
How sweet, what a beautiful family and a 70 degree cellar. Do you have room for me?
Go to Top of Page

O-LeeAnna
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

LeeAnn
Bethany MO
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh Linda..what a heart you have. I have just within the hour joined Mary Janes Farm! This is the very first forum Ive been too and what a story! What a hero you are. Darla is beautiful and the puppies look so chubby and healthy. What a blessing she found you.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes Jonni I will be keeping Darla. We will have her spayed when the vet says its okay to do so. She likes to roam tho. I am just worried something will happen to her in her outings. She alway comes back pretty quick so hopefully she will be okay. We have so many coyotes on our property and I worry about that. My other dog Toby is fat and likes to hang at home and only goes for walks on the farm if we take him.We usually do about a mile with him and he is happy. He is not one to venture out without us. I don't think Darla would work in a city yard. She can scale a 5 ft fence like a cat. I have never seen a dog so catlike and agile.

Tina the chickens should be fine. They are in a 1/2 acre woven electric netting. She touched in the other day and got shocked. She has not been near it since. But I am watching her cause ya never know. I know she is very intersted in them but the fence has made them not so intersting anymore.

I know one thing I have never seen such a small dog eat so much each day. I don't know where she puts it. She eats more than my 2 pyrenese and Toby my coonshepard cross who is 115 pounds combined. She even eats more than that. I keep her bowl full all the time plus her extras.Its amazing to watch her woof it down.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 05 2012 3:07:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  2:08:51 PM  Show Profile
Look at that beautiful family...who could ever "dump" that I have NO clue! They are so wonderful-thank you again for caring for them!! True Farmgirl Spirit!!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  4:54:08 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful girl...I hope who ever dumped her gets theirs! The pups sure look fat and sassy.

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pregnant dog dumped- updated pics on page5 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page