Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Hey anyone have thoughts on hysterectomys?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hey anyone have thoughts on hysterectomys? Next Topic
Page: of 2

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I am having "girl"Problems and a hysterectomy is an option. I have a huge fibroid in my uterus. Just wondering if any of you have had this done and was it a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks for your input.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  8:56:25 PM  Show Profile
For me it was a good thing.

12-years ago I had mine done and I have never regretted it. I didn't have an option though-I had to do it.

DH converted our front room into a gorgeous bedroom for me (no climbing stairs per Dr.'s orders) He bought me a double bed and frame, made it up with one of my vintage quilts, brought in two book-cases with my favorite books and a sweet little couch, lamps and lamp tables, my stereo and a few of my favorite pictures-all the little nic-naks and things I loved-My DD's helped him decorate before I came home from the hospital as a surprise and it was so lovely!

I was pampered and loved within an inch of my life for two solid months-well, I milked it towards the end just because I loved being downstairs and the center of things!

So my advice is get it done-Then it's over with! My experience was life-changing in a very positive way.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  04:52:01 AM  Show Profile
I had it done about 18 years ago. Never a regret. For me it was simple, no pain, and back up and going right away. Though the pampering Melody got sounds wonderful! My sister had it done a couple years ago, and she had a bit tougher time at first. I tell her she is a princess anyways.

good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  05:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, seems like all those I have talked to are very positive about it. I am 46 yrs old and just want to get it over with tired of the pain.
I do think I will show my husband Melody's post

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  05:27:50 AM  Show Profile
I had mine done at the age of 40...I had no other alternative. I had precancerous cells with hemmoraging. My mom is an Ovarian Cancer survivor. So this was a necessity. On the con side...I found over the years I developed high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The many doctor's I have spoken to about this say it can be caused by having a hysterectomy. So now at the age of 58 I'm taking all my meds for these conditions. It's funny but I actually had that done to prevent Ovarian Cancer but then down the road at the age of 49, I had a tumor on my lung that was Cancer (have never been a smoker) and had to remove a part of my left lung. So...now I'm fine, it will be 9 years this December 22nd and I thank "God" for being here everyday!!!

Laura, you will be the only person who knows if this is the right way to go. I wish you all the best and I'm here for you with any questions or just to feel loved!!!!

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile
I had mine done about six years ago. I always say that it is one of the best things that I have ever done. Recovery was easy-I went home and was up the next day. I had to get it done. They could not stop the bleeding. I actually bled so much that I ended up in the hospital for a few days having to get a blood transfusion. My dr told me two or three more days and I would have been dead. He told me that I would have went into cardiac arrest and there wouldn't have been a thing that they could have done about it because I had lost so much blood. I was put on so mamy different meds and told to do so many different things and nothing helped, it was my only option. It's wonderful to be free from all of that for good.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  10:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Wow Joan what a lot on your plate that was. So glad everything worked out for you!How did you find out about your lung? My biggest worry is cancer. I had a friend die right out of high school to overian cancer.
I went to Dr. this morning and she wants to do a total hysterectomy. I have fibroids the size of the palm of your hand. I am tired of being in pain all the time. I just think at this time of my life I don't need to try and preserve anything. My friend at work, his mom had a hysterectomy they left in her overies and then ten years later she died of overian cancer. I don't want to have to worry about that.
Marcy, was the bleeding from being on your period or did it just start bleeding? That is scary. I have to wait three months before surgery because they are going to try and shrink the fibroid so I don't bleed to much during surgery. The Dr. said the risk is to high right now. I am just wanting to get it over with. I have to much living to do to keep feeling so bad.

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  10:49:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laura, I had a total hysterectomy because I was afraid of ovarian cancer. Um, I also had to have a blood transfusion because of my bleeding. My red cell was down to only 6 when it should be I think between 10 and upbove. You have to realize if you are in that much pain and discomfort and screws up your daily life then "yes" go for the operation.... You asked about my lung cancer. Actually I had kidney stones so huge that it was impossible to pass, so I went to the hospital to have them surgically removed. So because of that the hospital needs to do an xray to make sure I didn't have pneumonia or whatever else they look for. After I had the kidney stone surgically removed, my doctor came in the hospital room to tell me there was a spot on my left lung. He seemed a little concerned, but knowing him for many many years, and he knew I never smoked, he didn't make an issue of it. But I had to get a PET SCAN and CAT SCAN to look further into my lung. That's when the doctor said it didn't look good. So I had to go to another hospital in Manhattan, New York where they performed immediate surgery to have my tumor removed. It's really too long of a story lol, I'm sorry I wrote this much lol. But all is well now and just think about yourself and what feels right for you

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  5:34:39 PM  Show Profile
My mom had one to prevent ovarian cancer after having some genetic testing (my grandmother and great grandmother died of ovarian cancer) and seems to be doing quite well. She was already menopausal, so it wasn't a big change for her. I know it is something I may need to consider at some point - but hopefully my genes hold off until after I have kids of my own.

I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

"A home is made of love and dreams"

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile
I had mine 9 years ago. I had Fibroids 3 and one was big as a grapefuit. They took everthing out. And it has been great.
Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  4:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Holy cow, Joan. You're a walking miracle. But so glad everything turned out well and they discovered the cancer and saved your life.
I had mine done about 25 years ago and I wish I had had it done a lot earlier. Like you Laura, I was in a great deal of pain and just finally had enough. My doctor wanted me to take time to think about it and I told him I had been thinking about it for years, so let's get on with it. Was off work a month (was divorced at the time, so didn't have to worry about taking care of a hubby thankgoodness) and just took it easy and rested and it just felt so wonderful. Had teenage kids and knew if I remarried I was not going to want any more kids anyway, so lets do this. It's a big decision and it's only one you can make for the situation you're in, but sounds like everyone here has had good results after their operations. We all know what you're going through and are here for you to talk to and understand. Blessings to you.
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  10:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Annie and Marlee for your input. So glad of all the positive feedback. My main concern now is not turning into a crabby old lady. But everyone I have talked with is so happy it was done. Now I just want to get it over with. I have to wait and start taking shots to shrink the fibroids first. So it will be end of August before surgery. Right now I have to wait for my period to start to get the first shot and wouldn't you know it. Its late!! I guess that would be stress

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  5:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura,

I also had a hyster several years ago. I had fibros pre-menopause, but my doctor told me they would shrink when I became menopausal and the hormone levels dropped. They did. However, I did NOT experience pain with them. Just couldn't leave the house the first day or two of my cycle due to impossible heavy bleeding.

Had 4 pregnancies and my organs were prolapsing. In layman's terms, that means they didn't want to stay where they belonged. My doctor is very conservative, as well as brilliant. He won't recommend surgery unless one NEEDS surgery. He recommended a hysterectomy with reconstructive surgery. I suggested the ovaries needed to go. He didn't object at all.

Perhaps because of the insult done to my bladder I had to cath for several days, which was not difficult at all. I don't think that happens with just a hysterectomy though. I had vaginal surgery, not abdominal. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I told my doctor afterward: "Well, that pretty much takes care of female cancer risks, right." His replay was: "Pretty much." .. not "yes". I was concerned so I did some internet searches and found that there still is slight risk (rare?) of "an ovarian female cancer" after a hyster -- actually an abdominal cancer due to the migration of ovarian cells at some point pre-surgery.

I get a CA 125 test every few years.. It can have a LOT of FALSE positives, but can also be a MINOR diagnostic tool, since it can be influenced to show an elevated number due to other not-so-serious medical conditions, some of which one would want to have checked out anyway.

If the doctor leaves the cervix .. you still will need Pap Tests..

I tend to be VERY conservative and alway err on the side of prevention in my health care needs. My doctors are good and work with me, but I also trust their judgement. ( I do a lot a research and we made informed decisions together on my health care choices.) We actually have a lot of very Christian Doctors at our hospital, and they are very compassionate. Helps.

As far as recovery, because of the need for reconstruction--my doctor told me complete healing would take 100 days.. It did. I went back to work after 8 weeks (an impossible, high stress job with 10+ hour days). I did decided to go to a quilt retreat for 4 days a few weeks before I returned to work to start building up my stamina. I ate really well and tried to have LOTS of fruits and veggies to heal and also to stay regular (important).

Surgery is not really fun.. the pampering part by friends and relatives is nice.. We women often try to do everything for everyone in our lives.. This is the time to enjoy their pampering. And if you get bored.. the farm girl sisters are just a click away. Take care !!

Mary Madelena

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  3:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Well, here I am three months later and going in on Monday for my total hysterectomy. I am a little nervous but excited to get it overwith so I can start living again. I spent last three months getting shots to try and shrink this little monster and it has worked. It is down to about five pounds now and Dr. feels like it is time. So here we go!!! Thanks much for all your comments and helpful hints, tips and info.

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura, I had my hyster about 8 yrs ago. I was happy. In hospital 3 days went home layed on the couch for two and up and going slowly for a few but it was a complete blessing.
Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  5:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
I had one when I was 26 years old. I was bleeding for over a year and a half. I had already had two children and my tubes tied. They left my ovaries because I was so young. I have never regretted it! Just take it easy and don't overdue it. I am now 51 and never looked back. I once had a menstral cycle but I traded it in for a motorcycle!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Aug 19 2012 5:04:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2878 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2878 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  5:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Praying for you Laura!! Remember me? My sis & I are the ones that snored in the tent next to yours at miss wilma's!
I, too, have had girl part issues, but am still intact. If one more thing happens, I am having them YANK IT ALL OUT!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  7:12:51 PM  Show Profile
Laura, good luck tomorrow and hope that you'll be feeling better in no time.
Had mine done 30+ years ago and was down for a month, but when I got back on my feet I felt so much better both physically and mentally. Have never regretted getting it done - was the best thing I ever did for myself.
Take care of yourself and enjoy the pampering for awhile. All the best to you.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Laura! I so needed to read this! I am up for the same thing. I am only 31 and I have no other option. The cyst has taken over my "girly" parts and it is how I can get rid of it. I have read all of these posts and am in awe of how much I needed this! I am so confused, scared, mad, hurt, kind of happy (just think no more periods...ever!) and sad (no more babies...ever)
I have a tentative surgery date and am still in the emotional rollercoaster acceptance stage. Thank you for being so honest and sharing your concerns!
Hugs and Love
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  04:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Laura, you will be feeling better before you know it. Please keep us posted

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  11:05:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, here I am four days after surgery and slowly feeling better. Still very sore and slow but I am not allowed to do anything for two weeks. Not a bad deal really:) The Dr. removed my utreus that was about the size of a soccer ball. (no wonder I didn't feel good) glad that is gone.
Jessie, it is a hard decision and only one you can make. But when you are so uncomfortable all the time. I say life is to short. I didn't realize how bad mine was until they got in there. I don't know how long it has been like that either. At least six to 8 months that I know of. I always had cysts so I am sure that was all part of it and will only get worse. I was always just happy about it(the surgery). Of course I am 47yrs old. I can see where you are coming from with no more babies emotions and I feel bad for you. That is a toughy. I did get scared down to the last week or two before. Like what if its worse than they think, what if I don't make it.... I did a lot of praying and found peace with it and comfort with God. I left it all in his hands. So either he didn't want me right now or he has lots of plans for my future I don't know but... Thanks to him and my wonderful Dr. and nurses, I am here shuffling around like a pregnant turtle.:) If you ever need to talk I will be around. Thanks for you all being there for me. :)

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  12:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Laura, I am so happy to hear that your surgery went well. I can't imagine! A soccer ball! Wow!
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  2:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Laura, so glad to hear your doing well these days. Yes, it does take some time to get back to feeling better, but having the family wait on you for a change will do you good. When the Dr. says not to do anything, he means it. This is your time to recover and build your strength back up. Also time do just sit and catch up on your reading or handywork or just watching movies you've never had time to watch. The angles are watching over you taking care of you. Sending you blessings.
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  02:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear you're healing, Laura! I had mine done 4 years ago and it was the BESt decision ever. You'll see how much better you feel in no time...your quality of life will come back and it's soooooo nice to never have to worry about a period again!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  03:04:49 AM  Show Profile
Laura,
So glad your story is having a happy ending. Hope you continue to heal quickly. Thanks for sharing, you have so much in common with so many farmgirls.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  3:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, looks like I am all healed. Got the go ahead to go back to work tomorrow. Its been interesting but I haven't felt as good as I do now in years. Best choice I have ever made.!!!!
Hi Lisa, I do remember you and how could I forget that snoring? LOL That was such a fun time. Hope you and your sis are well!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hey anyone have thoughts on hysterectomys? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page