Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 updated photo of new house 12/29/12
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic updated photo of new house 12/29/12 Next Topic
Page: of 4

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  08:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Signed the contract today! Just have to wait for the check from insurance to clear and demolition can begin! I am sad and excited at the same time. Is that weird? We spent 6 years in that house. We tracked Lliam's growth spurts on the door jam in his room. His room was burned beyond recognition. I went in the house Saturday and just looked around. Everything was blackened. I was trying to picture what the new place is going to look like but I just kept seeing black, smoke-stained walls, melted window casings, and smelly wet carpet. I walked into the kitchen and someone has cut a hole in the floor to take the metal from under the house. It really was disheartening. I walked back outside and told myself it will all be gone soon and there will be a fresh, clean new home there soon.
On the excited side - we'd had a lot of problems with the old house. After we moved in, we had the roof replaced and it leaked from the moment the roofer said he was finished. After 4 years of litigation, we finally had ANOTHER new roof. We were just getting all the remodeling finished and then the fire happened. It was a neat little house with hardwood floors, crooked doors, tongue and groove ceilings - really a rustic looking cottage, I guess you could say. We are going to replace it with a brick ranch. I am hoping to have a metal roof if budget will allow.
This picture is of our bedroom.

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  5:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Don't know if you still want ideas, but, for what it's worth, if I had it to do over I'd have a gigantic laundry room, placed at the back or side of the house. At the entrance there'd be a bench for sitting down and removing muddy boots/shoes and pegs on the wall for jackets and coats. Two big tables --- one for folding laundry and another for projects. Lots of shelves and built in drawers and cabinets. A sink and plenty of electrical outlets. Room for my sewing machine and ironing board. One thing I would not do again was get a Jacuzzi. I find it to be a waste of money and space. It takes so much water to cover the jets. I would much rather have a nice soaking tub and a separate walk-in shower with a powerful showerhead massage to ease my sore muscles.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  10:18:30 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading through your posts. I know a man in Frankton(he is also a bee man); that has a "nut farm", if you have questions, I'm sure he would be glad to help you out. Also, please keep us posted in a few years when you do your put & take...my husband & son would probably live at your place since you are so close to us. We have 2 german shorthair pointers & my hubby has hunted for years but our son (9) is just getting started & loves it. Good luck on the house! Sounds like you have many good ideas.
Beth
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  06:57:17 AM  Show Profile
Always looking for ideas! Last night we went to Lowes to look at faucets, sinks and the like. I know what I don't want! We are getting lots of ideas and we know what is way over budget.

Beth, Lance is always looking for people to talk with about bees. Your dh and son would be welcome to come out and hunt. Our chiropractor even deer hunts out there! We released a few quail about 4 years ago. Most of them became snacks for other critters, but we hear a few of them every once in awhile. You and I could sit on the porch and chat!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  8:14:44 PM  Show Profile
I think if I was building a house I'd like a wheel chair accessable bed and bath downstairs. And a separate crafting/music room.

I like Bella's idea of a laundry room. I think instead of tables I'd like a long counter that ties in with in built in storage. And one of those laundry accordians, for your unmentionables. I don't think I'd want my unders drying outside.

Screened porch sounds great. It would be great to have a root cellar underneath, acessible by a trap door.

I'd agree-fridge should be next to the sink.
The kitchen sink should be good and deep. Like you could bathe the whole family in there, with a double drain board. It might be great to have a stainless steel counter top on that side of the kitchen.

If I were doing my kitchen, all my storage would be underneath, there's some nifty storage soultions out there, like pull out shelves so you don't have to climb in to reach the back. On the wall I'd have a peg board with all my everyday pots and pans and utensils. And open shelving for kitchen gadgets-food processer, slo cooker etc.
I'd also love a commercial gas stove-lots of burners, dbl oven, and a griddle-no pots and pans for breakfast.

And a snack station:undercounter fridge, microwave, toaster oven and one of those drawer dishwashers.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  7:44:11 PM  Show Profile
When you get faucets, I think you would really love a higher neck on the spigot so you can get big kettles under it. I love mine.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  8:59:37 PM  Show Profile
They are on the list!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  11:40:58 AM  Show Profile
We are about to break ground as well. Here are my items that were in the final blueprints:

No dining room
kitchen, eating area and living all open to each other (like one big room)
mud room with floor drain
12 x 12 laundry room/family closet--no more clothes in the kids room
500+ SQF front porch under the roof--I have a view and I am using it!
Side entry into mud room

I think those are the major high points

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  11:42:15 AM  Show Profile
One more: LARGE kitchen with island/bar and the range (per my dh) must be on the bar so when we have people over his back is not to them as he cooks.

Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  11:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I keep thinking of things. We are not putting a tub in the master bath and instead we will have a huge, huge shower. Also lots of sliding barn doors so we don't lose space with the door swing. No carpet except in the kids room and lots of tile rather than wood because we have a huge creek with lots of mussels, rocks, sandy soil etc so wood floors will get scratched up (although I love the distressed look so I am not opposed to it).

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Sounds awesome. We are doing the same thing in our master bath - no tub just a bigger shower. The 2nd bathroom will have a tub. Most of the house will be wood floors with tile in the bathrooms and laundry area. We won't have any carpeting, just a few area and throw rugs. We are even going to have a wrap around porch! I can't wait. I have always wanted a wrap around porch. We went and looked at cabinets yesterday. I like the ones the builder picked, but my husband found some he liked better so we are getting a quote on both. The ones I like are white shaker style. The ones he liked are clear wood (pine, I think) with just a slight routered panel in the middle. They remind me of a hunting cabin - no wonder he liked them.

I can't decide - the exterior is going to be brick (haven't picked a color yet) the roof is metal (again, no color picked) - how to make the inside mesh with the outside. I am thinking flea market arts and crafts/mission - he is thinking cabin/lodge. I told him its not a log home - its brick. I just don't want to mess up and have someone walk in and say "whoa, so not what I was expecting"
I keep trying to do visuals in my head, but I can't get it to look right. I have been gleaning magazines and websites for ideas....

Lora

Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  8:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Passive Solar sun porch or greenhouse or garden room. When the winter is long, it's such a great place to sit.
Heated floors! They are marvelous.
Lotsa storage to keep things tidy.
Green appliances and LEED features that pay you back in savings.
A backup power system for water pump, and basic electricity in case the grid fails.

Best of luck!
Susan

My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile
PS - My DH is a cabinet maker and he says don't scrimp on drawer slides/pullouts. You won't be happy if you try to save money here. I LOVE mine. Also he says a corner pull-out is always more efficient than a turn table caddy BUT the cost for good hardware can be hard to swallow.
Again, good luck!

My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  8:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Lora: Over the years your tastes may change. White or a neutral inside will go with any style you choose. You can always change colors. Don't forget a room for yourself. Then you can do any kind of decorating. Let hubby have one too with his hunting theme. Your marriage will last longer. We have our 50th wedding anniversary tomorrow. I know whatever you choose will be fun to see. We are always becoming.

Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  8:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Built ins are amazing! I miss them dearly. They give tons of storage and don't take up precious floor space like movable furniture pieces. They also give a house character.
I've seen some great DIY ideas for sorting and storing recyclables.I'll post the links when I get a chance. Mine stay outside the back door in bins, but I live in FL so weather is never an issue.
It sounds like you have worked it out to make this house very functional for your family. I'm excited to hear your progress reports

--Marie--
Farmgirl Sister #1627
www.reereebee.etsy.com

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else” - J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  10:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Lora when we are both done you come visit me and I can come visit you. We are only 3 hours apart! Sounds like we have very similar tastes. I am combing the backs of flea markets and barn sales to find cool furniture. Also we are using lots of old barn beams to give some architectural interest. Nothing worse than that new house look. I want it to look like yours..a renovated house that has been there for 100 years!

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  11:14:17 AM  Show Profile
I so appreciate all you of your inputs. It has really helped. We went to Lowe's again last night after work and I brought home a ton of paint chips. I think we are going to go with the Shaker style cabinets in either white or cream. I don't want the kitchen to look sterile, but I do want it to look airy. I am thinking a very pale green for the walls. It reminds me of the outside in summer. I have a feeling that the living room/dining room area will be very similar to the old house paint scheme. I really like it. We had one wall that was a shade of gray called Route 66 and the rest of the room was a beige color. I had some Ansel Adams prints on the gray wall. It looked really nice.

The floors are all going to be more dark than light. Hoping it won't show dust and dirt as much. (lol)
We are also going to try to save the front porch light from the old house. It wasn't damaged in the fire and I really like it.

We were out at the farm yesterday cleaning up the yard. We had a huge bonfire going with debris that would burn. What wouldn't burn was set by the road for the trash collection. It was actually very healing.

After the crew gets there to demo the house, we are going to see if they will use the equipment to remove the burn pile. That way there won't be any debris left from the old house.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile
UPDATE ***** The old house is GONE! They removed the last of it on Thursday. It looks so weird!! We are have 3 trees removed this week that are (were) dangerously close to the old house. One is leaning very badly and another was severely damaged in the fire. We thought is best to take them down now while there is nothing in the way. I hate to lose any trees, but exceptions sometimes have to be made. We are going to replant our 12 acre field in trees so I think that will make up for it!

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  7:41:52 PM  Show Profile
Lora: Don't over plan. Live in the house for awhile and decorating will suggest itself. I think it's so much fun to hear your plans. I like my house but there are all kinds of wonderful ideas out there. Keep posting. I can't wait to see what is next.

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  3:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Update on the house - the crawl space has been dug out and layered with pea gravel.
The footers have been poured and the foundation is done.
A sump pump pit was installed per state regulations even though the house sits higher than the yard and it was never wet under the house - anything for a buck....
The three trees that had to be cut down are gone (moved to other places on the farm until we can deal with them).
We picked out the cabinets, counter tops and flooring.
The vanities and tops are ordered. I am actually getting a granite counter top in the master BATHROOM! (AND we are way under budget!!!!) woooohooo!
Dh is bringing home brick samples for me to look at tonight so that we can pick the color and also match it to the metal roof color.
I have to try to get off work early tomorrow to pick out windows and lights. I know what I want, but I have to explain it to the vendors.
I am so excited, I've twisted a knot in my apron!!!!lol

Lora

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Apr 19 2012 3:24:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Finished basement!! I can't tell you how much I would love to have a play room in the basement!

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile
I wanted a basement, but it wasn't in the budget. They did dig the crawlspace large enough that it won't feel like a coffin when and if we have to go under the house like before. I'm claustrophobic and had a panic attack under there once when we were trying to fix some plumbing. It wasn't pretty!! lol

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  09:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I didn't get the basement as stated before, BUT...the guys who set the concrete block foundation screwed up and forgot to leave an opening for the crawl space. After talking to the contractor - we are getting a bigger crawl space entry so that we can use the deepest part of the crawl space for a root cellar and tornado shelter! It's better than nothing!!!

The floor joists are going in today.

We met with the plumber yesterday and picked out all the plumbing related things and we also picked out tiles for the bathrooms, entry and hearth. Still need to meet with the electrician for all the lighting and outlets. We are adding an extra outlet and light in the crawl space.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  11:57:52 AM  Show Profile
House is moving along - most of the trusses are up. Waiting for the porch posts to be installed then the rest of the rafters can go on. Picked out the stone for the chimney and fireplace surround. It's really neat - called stacked stone. They are rectangle like a brick but in natural stone colors. Reminds me of a limestone cliff. It's going to look awesome!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  5:12:59 PM  Show Profile
SO glad it's going smoothly (and that you came out on the better end of the crawl space debacle)

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic updated photo of new house 12/29/12 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page