Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 updated photo of new house 12/29/12
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic updated photo of new house 12/29/12 Next Topic
Page: of 4

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  1:30:35 PM  Show Profile
We have received the contractors drawing for the house we are rebuilding . As we mark up, erase and remark how we want things, I was thinking I should ask for ideas. We are actually going with a smaller footprint than the original house. It was build weird and very spread out. We decided that in an effort to save energy and costs, we really didn't need as big of space as before.

If you were building from scratch, what would you absolutely have to have included in your plans?

We are already making the kitchen bigger and the living room smaller.

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Jan 07 2013 12:12:24 PM

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile
I would have no dining room, I'd rather a larger kitchen. And- I'd have a small room that I could use as a storage room, like an oversized, oversized closet.
Also, will your house face north, south, west or east; think about how many windows you really need in those directions; facing west windows will help heat your house.
Also, if you have a carport or garage, do you want the opening facing the street or not.
That's just a few. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  6:57:36 PM  Show Profile
We built 4 years ago and some of our requirements were:

*multiple HVAC zones with programmable thermostats
*indestructible floors (we chose stained concrete)
*all doors are wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair
*pantry with wire shelving
*separate laundry room

Building is very stressful, so hang in there and keep your cool!

Nancy
Naturalized Farmgirl
Live a Savory Life!

http://www.liveasavorylife.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  7:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Mud room! I need one really bad here. And plenty of counter space and cabinets. A huge pantry. But a mud room is on my wish list and I really need it. Also lots of electrical outlets. And having heat and ac vents in the ceiling is great. Oh, and POCKET doors! Why didn't we do our bathroom door like that when we were doing this house? It will be done soon though. What a great space saver they are. The upstairs bathroom has like a barn door type pocket door. So it is on the outside not the inside of the wall and slides like a barn door. Love it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  9:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Pantry, large well appointed kitchen, mudroom and I dream of a basement and a wood stove...... But it depends on what stage of life you are in. I have small children that need room to build train sets and run and play so I like room. But once they fly off and start their adult lives I wouldn't want this much space.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Ruby V
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Ruby
Chilliwack BC
Canada
220 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  12:10:14 AM  Show Profile
How exciting to be planning a house! Here's things I'm going to hope for, if we ever move again.
1. Room to eat in the kitchen, no formal dining room.
2. A fair sized room for computers, crafting, hobbies.
3. No bathtub, just a walk-in shower.

Good luck!

Ruby ~ Sister #3597
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:07:11 AM  Show Profile
A laundry room near the bedrooms, or if you have two stories w/the bedrooms upstairs, the laundry room upstairs. We have a laundry room up and down and I can't tell you how it has saved me trudging up & down with dirty sheets, towels, etc.

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful ideas! Since we are basically following the old footprint, there will be a pantry/laundry/mud room. (with a divider wall) right off the kitchen. In the old house this area was an office. I wanted to keep the laundry area somewhat close to the door so I don't have lug baskets of wet clothes very far to the clothes line and I can utilize the back porch when its raining. The builder wanted to put it in the center of house. I simply said "Are you going to haul the laundry out to the clothes line?" He got my point.

The way the builder has drawn it up, all the bedrooms will be on the north side of the house. The master bedroom will have a bathroom w/shower (no tub) and walk-in closet. The other two bedrooms will be divided by a bathroom which will also serve as the bathroom for visitors. Also in his plan - the living room and dining area were combined and looked huge in the drawing. If we leave it like that, I would like to put a double sided fireplace right in the middle. I thought about putting a pass thru in the wall between the kitchen and dining area. He also has an island in the kitchen that can serve as an eating area.

The old carport is going to be torn down and the concrete parking area will become a big patio. We decided we really didn't need the carport with a garage and two other barns on the property. Builders plans also include a covered porch on the southside and part of the eastside.

What do you gals think of putting an outside door in the master bedroom? My thinking is that if there should ever be a reason I can't get to the living room or kitchen, I can still get out of the house. I am hoping to have a patio off the back porch kind of like we did on the old house, but the access was limited to walking all the way thru the house to the west end to get to it.

I would like opinions on slide out drawers, lid racks, recycling stations, hanging pot racks, turntables vs pull outs for corner cupboards....

Thanks!!!!!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  2:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Mud room and closets, closets, closets! Seems like so many houses built nowadays have wasted space. You don't have that problem in old farmhouses!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  3:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Mudroom, large pantry with adjustable shelves and electrical outlets with an oldfashioned wood screendoor, instead of a solid door (onions, potatos etc keep better with air flow), hallway linen closets, as large as possible bedroom closets, slide-out shelves in kitchen to keep things from being lost in the back, and open airy kitchen...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  3:39:58 PM  Show Profile
How exciting that you get to plan your new house! I love all the ideas you've already mentioned. If I could have my dream house, a woodburning fireplace, mudroom, laundry room and large pantry would all be on the list.

Seeing the reminder about having all doorways be wheelchair accessible, I was going to say that I'd be sure to have a full bathroom and one room with enough privacy to serve as a bedroom on the first floor. It sounds like you're planning a one-story house though, so you've already got that covered.

It's never a bad idea to plan for limited mobility. Even if you don't grow old in this house, it's a good selling point for future owners.

I think the second exit in the bedroom is a great idea. It would give me peace of mind when thinking about possible emergencies (fire, etc.)

I would definitely vote for slide out shelves or full-stop corners in kitchen cabinets. We've got a "lazy susan" corner cabinet in our kitchen and I don't like it at all! The height and shape just aren't practical for storing much of anything and the mechanics seem to constantly be getting off balance, making it hard to turn. The best use I've found for it is storing small appliances: crockpot, blender, etc. I don't need access to them every day and they are lighter than food supplies so they don't drag down the lazy susan as much.

As a bit of comparison/inspiration for you, my friends gutted and restored an urban Victorian home (long, skinny footprint) and their first floor is almost entirely one big room: living room area near the front door and kitchen/dining room further in. At the rear of the house, they have a powder room and large laundry room with plenty of space for indoor drying racks. Their pantry is a shallow, full lenth closet near the kitchen with adjustable shelves. They keep their recyclables neatly sorted in paper bags at the bottom of this pantry closet (they don't have curbside recycling, so they take them in to a recycling center once a month or so.) It seems to work very well for them.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  07:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much ladies! I have been busy sketching and erasing on the builders drawing. I have notes in all the margins too!

I have to turn in this drawing this week, but I will still be asking for input on colors and decorating ideas in the near future! I will also be sharing the progress. Hopefully demolition on the old house will begin in the next couple of weeks.

Oh before I forget - there are two huge old hand hewn barn beams holding up the carport. We would like to incorporate them in the new structure somehow. Builder says he won't put them inside the house, but I was thinking maybe as porch posts or something. Let me know what you think!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  8:26:19 PM  Show Profile
We built our house a few years ago, the biggest problem we found was that the master bedroom was on the opposite side of the house from all of the other bedrooms; not what I wanted with a small child. So I found a plan that worked for us finally. We also planned for old age & had wide doorways put in for wheelchairs...just in case. We did away with a 3rd bathroom (because I didn't want a 3rd toilet to clean) & instead, made it a pantry to store my canning supplies & all my garden goods(this is probably one of the best moves we made). As others have said, lots of closets & a big kitchen.
I would definately put to use those barn beams...need a little rugged look to the new house.
Also, we have a bathroom as you come in from the garage, that way there is less tracking in.
Good luck!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  08:29:12 AM  Show Profile
All of the bedrooms are going to be on the same side of the house, just like before. We decided on 2 1/2 bathrooms. The half bath will be in the mud/laundry room. I wanted it there so that if I am in the garden and have to go, I don't have to track mud all through the house to get to the other ones!

We are also not going to have any carpeting. The old house was completely carpeted and I got so sick of shampooing! After all we have 2 cats and 3 dogs! It will be so much easier to clean up after muddy paw and wet boots! I am planning on a few rugs here and there, but no carpet!

I got so mad the other day. See, right now we are living in a rental house that has carpet throughout and the maintenance guy came in. He apparently doesn't know how to wipe his shoes and tracked mud all over the dining room! So now I have to rent a steam cleaner and clean carpets this weekend. I let the mud dry and tried to vacuum it up, but I can still see boot prints! GRRRRRRRRRR! Its bad enough that it was old nasty carpet anyway, but COME ON!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  08:41:32 AM  Show Profile
A mudroom with built in storage bays for leashes, boot bays, pegboards for coats, etc....Like a "Shaker style Crate and Barrell ad"! I curse each and every day I don't have a mudroom with 4 dogs, a playful toddler, a kitchen garden and a husband who refuses to take off his shoes in the house, regardless of where he's been.

I would also have a breakfast/dining nook. We live in a 1920's cottage and use of space is premium--built in's are awesome to me and give a home so much charm.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile
The storage bays are a great idea! I hear ya' about the husband and shoes!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
lora, my house is about 600 square ft. and i only have one bathroom, so i dream of having at least a 1/2 bath for those times when my husband thinks the bathroom is a library. hehe
also we have had an outdoor shower for years and i love it! but i dont know if you are on land or in town. i love outdoor spaces so much (our porch was larger than the main house, before i took over some of the area for my crafts. a good porch or deck in my mind is worth more than inside space, and an elevated dech, wow, that would be the best.
good luck and keep us posted on yalls progress.
when i am planning a project i like to keep a bulletin board of everything that speaks to me and i usually see a theme going on,,,,also it is easier to through away a page from the magazine than i mistake.
i bought,,,no, i had custom made curtains along a wall in my first house 38 years ago and the color was hideous, boy did i get sick of seeing those for years,,,,,oooooops.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  2:12:20 PM  Show Profile
What a cute picture! I have started collecting pictures from mags and saving pictures of neat things in a file on my computer. Our place is 18 acres. We used to rent out the field to a local farmer, but as of this year we are doing the USDA CRP program where we will put that land back to its natural state. I thought long and hard about that decision (6 years) and finally decided that for the health of everyone including the bees - it had to be put back to its original state as best we can. We cannot grow "crops" or graze animals on that 12 acres field, but we can put the bee hives back there and we are going to release quail. We can plant fruit and nut trees as well. I would love to have persimmon and paw paw trees!
As far as the rest of the property, we will still have our gardens and chickens. The USDA rep also told us that in a couple of years we can host "put and takes" of quail or pheasants.

For those that might question my decision about hooking up with the government - it appears to me that this ground has been used and abused for over 150 years. It needs a break. There are some places in the field that, because of broken tile, have eroded something terrible. I know our farmer used pesticides and herbicides that would run off into the creek that cuts the property. Our bees drink from that creek as do deer and other wild life. Planting the land with native grasses and trees would help prevent further erosion and run off, thus acting as a filter for the surrounding fields whose owners choose to use chemicals.
Like I said before, this was a difficult decision to make since my family always used the traditional methods of farming. Sorry for the lengthy rant, but I had to say it.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  2:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh - I hope that last rant didn't upset anyone - after I went back and read it - it sounds like I am going off on someone! I'm not! I promise! I just needed an outlet. After I told my mother what we were going to do - she went off on me! Instead of getting into an argument with her, I walked away. I guess maybe that was my way of going off on her without hurting her feelings!! (you have to know my mother!) Anyhoo - as we all look for ways to make a few bucks here and there, this was a great opportunity to do just that. See - the government is basically paying us to not grow traditional crops, but to grow trees, grass and wildflowers. I can hardly wait to be able to take pictures of meadowlarks, quail, pheasant, turkeys, deer and other wildlife!!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  6:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Lora, your the first person that been on here that knows about pawpaws and I love persimmons. I grew up in Indiana and we had them on our farm.
I have a question? Do you know of a recipe, my great aunt made something called peersimmon pudding. It was like a cake but not fluffly like a cake and then she made like this wonderfull vanilla not really a pudding but something like it. My great aunt has been gone along time and I never got the recipe. So I was wondering if you might have heard of it. -Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  09:49:37 AM  Show Profile
I am not familiar with those particular recipes, but I will do some checking. I do still have some of Lance's grandmother's recipes. There might be something in them!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  10:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Lora, thank you!
Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  1:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Well the draft of the house was delivered to the contractor today. I was on speaker phone via dh for about 20 minutes clarifying things. They are going to draw up the edited plan and call us in a few days. I also asked to be given a price comparison of metal vs asphalt for roofing options. I had to explain why I wanted the fridge next to the sink - guess that's a non-cooking man for you. Its not like it butts up against the sink - there is a bit of counter space there. He originally had the fridge clear across the kitchen. I said I wanted it close to the sink so if I take something out that is dripping it doesn't leave a trail clear across the kitchen. And it is closer to the door for grocery purposes. Sounds good, right?

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  1:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Picking up the edited plan today. Builder says to mark it up again before we do the final drawing.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  10:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Lora: Don't forget a screen porch. My pantry is also my laundry room an is close to hang out clothes outside. With so many containers to recycle, the room seemed smaller, but we have two windows in the room as well. The pantry is where my cookbooks are and storage for Christmas and other holiday gear. The cabinet for cleaning supplies is there as well. Good luck with your plans.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Bonnie! I do have plans for a screened porch. It will be right off the kitchen and run along the wall of the laundry room. I loved having a screened porch on the old house. I was still able to hang clothes out even if it was a nasty day. Sometimes we even slept out there in the summer. Yep, screened porch is a definite must have!

Lora

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Feb 28 2012 12:44:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic updated photo of new house 12/29/12 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page