True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Here you go ladies!

This is a bit longer, but I did a little extra on this one. I hope you enjoy it!

Topic 2: How to Hear God Speak

Verse 1: Psalm 119:105 (Meditate on God’s written word)

Timeless Guidance: Although the Bible was given to us centuries ago, it never grows outdated because it is God’s living Word. Its timeless truths penetrate the hearts and minds of every generation just as light penetrates the darkness.

The Bible is a believer's primary source of guidance. Both spiritual growth and success in serving God are closely related to living with the Scriptures. Therefore, every disciple must be devoted to absorbing Scripture through reading, studying, meditation, and memorization.

The psalmist also affirms that God’s Word always lights the next step before us. We aren’t guaranteed a “long-distance forecast” of the future. However, we know that our daily steps of careful obedience to God’s direction will safeguard us against missing his will in the big decisions.

Question 1: How have you used God’s Word to guide your decisions?

Verse 2: Exodus 37:1-5 (Ask for detailed directions)

Specific Guidance: Many of us marvel at the elaborate plan God gave Moses for the ark and tabernacle and wonder why he doesn't speak that precisely to us today. God’s guidance depends in part on what he’s called us to do. When he called Abraham to move to a new country, he didn't tell him where he’d be going. Yet when he called Noah to build an ark he gave him precise instructions down to the last detail (see Genesis 6:14-16).

Like Abraham the Lord may not give us specific guidance in all circumstances. He does not want us to be robots. He wants us to think, create, and choose in response to unfolding circumstances. In faith, Abraham kept moving forward with the guidance he had and when he got off track, God gently guided him back. When we really need clear instructions, God will give them to us if we’ll take the time to listen and obey.

Question: The next time you ask God a specific question. take time to write down the answer you receive. Did this writing your answer down help you understand his direction?

Verse 3: 1 Kings 19:12 (Listen for a still small voice)

The gentle voice of God: With thunder at his disposal, why does God use a gentle whisper? Many of us think God ought to speak louder, but he shouldn't need to strike us with lightening to get our attention. We should be listening for him so intently that we recognize his gentle whisper even when other voices are thundering for our attention.

Today’s media bombard us daily with hundreds of voices, communicating a wide variety of messages. Sometimes flashy messages influence us the most, but God isn't trying to dazzle us like that. He communicates best with those who give him their undivided attention. Then even a gentle whisper will come through as loud as thunder.

Question: What voices are competing for your attention? Find a quiet place to get alone with God. Worship, pray, and listen.

Verse 4: Num. 22:28 (He can speak through anything)

Pay attention to God!: If God can’t get our attention any other way, he will sometimes use supernatural means to get his message through to us. Imagine Balaam’s shock when his donkey began speaking to him! Sometimes God will use such means to to deal with the heard-hearted religious people who are in some ways opposing his will. . Acts 9 describes how Pharisee Saul was struck down and blinded while while on the way to persecute the church in Damascus.

Saul who later became known as the apostle Paul, obeyed God and went on to become a mighty Man of God. By contrast, Balaam ignored God’s strong to him and was en-cited to sin by the Lord’s enemies.

When the Lord speaks to us through unusual means, we need to be quick to obey.

Question: Have you ever consciously disobeyed God? What was the result? Ask God to show you if you’ve hardened your heart against him in anyway.

Verse 5: Joel 2:28 (Ask him for pictures of the future)

Looking into the Future: There is an old saying “A picture is worth a thousand words”. A vision can be a powerful picture for guiding God’s people into the future. The Bible doesn't promise that we’ll all see visions. But God does promise to give each of us an understanding of our destiny. As our relationship deepens with God so will our desire to have him speak to us in new and deeper ways.

Question: Has God given you any pictures of the future? Ask him to open your heart and mind, so he can speak to you through you through dreams and visions.

Verse 6: Psalm 19:1 (Look and listen for him all around)

God’s fingerprints are everywhere: God is a fabulous communicator. He has never been silent. He speaks to us through everything in his creation. Evidence of him can be heard, seen, felt, and tasted. He uses his sunrise to declare his faith-fullness, a mothers touch to show his gentleness, and the fruit of the earth to revel his sweetness and generosity.

Psalm 19 says, “The heavens declare the glory of God....Day after day they pour fourth speech.” We only have to open our eyes to see his fingerprints on the heavens and earth. How could so many things in nature, working together in such perfect unity, be anything but the creation of an awesome God (Romans 1:20)

Those who have not found proof of God from his creation simply are not looking.

Question: How has God spoken to you through his creation?

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

fairlee
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Fairlee
Hamlin Texas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:39:24 PM  Show Profile
I loved last week, this weeks looks awesome.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  4:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow Ashley! Good job! I am excited!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  12:36:26 AM  Show Profile
Looking forward to this next topic. Should be exciting. The first one certainly was!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  06:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ashley!

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  1:38:40 PM  Show Profile
No problem ladies! It was amazing how God led my fingers while typing this up....the house was crazy (kids, dog, DH, life in general), but all of these additions from my Bible seemed really important to share. Thanks so much for joining this group. I am learning so much and can actually feel my faith. I can't wait to share!

Much love,

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  3:05:04 PM  Show Profile

I use God's word to guide my decisions as a parent guides a child, with their best interests in mind. Whether the child chooses to obey determines a good or bad choice. When I make decisions in life based on Bible principles or how it reflects on God I always make the right choice. Another scripture to reference is Jeremiah 10:23, it is not in man to direct his own steps.

As to a "long distance forecast," the Bible is full of prophecy. While it may not say specifically what will happen to each individual on a daily basis, it does tell what is going to happen in the future.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, as for the first question, I am still learning this. I want to do what I want so much more than what God wants me to do. I am always juming in trying to :fix" everyone and everything and never letting God have control. Then I have to go back and let God fix it. When He would have done the job and NOT messed it up. I have to do this with my kids all the time now. I was always doing it my way and not letting go and letting God do it. Why does it take so long to learn this lesson?? I think of the mess we are in financially most of the time. If we would just let God have charge over our finances we would be just fine.

I like that this study has some for every day. Thanks, Ashley. You are doing a great job!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  8:26:44 PM  Show Profile
i am loving this study as well. this weeks lesson is really getting me to think deeper.. i always feel that when God speaks to me it is Goodness and when i hear things other than Goodness its from the evil one. but i would really love to concentrate more on hearing the Goodness.. and listning to all of you gals is great

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  06:37:42 AM  Show Profile
ADDITIONAL VERSES: READ ME.

While looking through my Bible, I found additional verses that go with each of these studies.

Here are the verses to go with each question. These are not required reading, BUT they helped me clarify. Hope you enjoy. Sorry I did not see these earlier, but better late than never..lol.

1. Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1:2-3, James 1:22-25.
2. Genesis 6:11-22 and 12:1, Psalm 37:23-24, James 1:5-8.
3. Exodus 33:7-11, 1 Samuel 3:1-10, Habakkuk 2:1-3.
4. Exodus 3:1-4, Jonah 2, Acts 9:1-22, 2 Peter 2:15, Revelation 2:14.
5. Genesis 41:1-43, Job 33:14-15, Habakkuk 2:1-3, Acts 16:9.
6. Psalm 8 and 104 and 148, Matthew 16:2-3.

If you've already completed some of these questions, I would go back and read these, but that is just me.

Sorry again about these being late.

Much love ya'll!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  07:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, I am a day behind on my devotional book and just read yesterday's. It SO goes along with what we are talking about. Would you mind if I shared it? I wanted to check with you first. But it's perfect. Now I need to write all these new verses down. Thanks!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile
I don't mind at all! Share away. We are all in this together, I just happen to be the one that types the study out. I'd love to hear more from you all:) And Kris, I am so happy you are apart of this study!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Looks like we are just doing question one 1st...

1.How have you used God's Word to guide your decisions?

I use His Word to guide my every step and prayer too. I am his disciple, his. Follower, his daughter, and his Shepherdess (leading my own small flock of sheep). Iam like all his true followers...it is only his voice I choose to follow...for only he knows the way to our destination. God sent His son to this earth to save the lost and lead us home.

His voice is gentle and loving and faithful and easy to trust.
I know His voice and he knows mine. And He is Faithful even when Iam not!

Blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  1:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I could not agree with you more when you say "His voice is gentle and loving and easy to trust". That is beautifully worded.

I think some people are posting as they go, but if you want to post all at once that is fine, too:)

Much love!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  2:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ashley, I just finished writing my perspective on each of these writings but it is SUPER long...I kind of took this literally as in I read the passage, your question and added my 2 cents. Is that what we're supposed to do? Here's a sample of the first one..I'll add the other ones later...

Psalm 119: 105 Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

“The Bible is a believer's primary source of guidance.” Can the Bible be a source of guidance for the non-believer? What does it mean to be a believer? Does that mean that I must believe every word to be from God directly through the pen of man? If I don’t believe that then can the Bible still offer me the inherent wisdom it possesses regardless of who scripted it? It is my perspective that the Bible is sacred book of wisdom.

“…every disciple must be devoted to absorbing Scripture through reading, studying, meditation, and memorization.” What does it mean to be a disciple?

"The psalmist also affirms that God’s Word always lights the next step before us. We aren’t guaranteed a “long-distance forecast” of the future. However, we know that our daily steps of careful obedience to God’s direction will safeguard us against missing his will in the big decisions."
The first 2 sentences I agree with wholeheartedly. The last one has me thinking deeply. Why would you suggest just the big decisions? To my mind, every step in illumined is a mindful one basking in the will of God. Big decision, little decision, ridiculous decision, swaying decision, off balance decision…all of them essential to map of one’s life. Have you never made a decision that seemed to backfire in your face only to discover after the passage of some time that it somehow seemed perfect and just right? I find that aspect of one’s journey full of Mystery, which when one looks deeply is God. We cannot look at our missteps as mistakes. To do so keeps us trapped in dual thinking; right or wrong, this or that, black or white, true or false. God transcends that so everything we do if we’re paying attention is in line with God. Everything.

Question 1: How have you used God’s Word to guide your decisions? When I listen deeply, God’s word has many voices. When I consider the voice of Jesus, the word that comes to mind is ‘surrender’. Some misinterpret that word to mean ‘give up’ and I think that is a grave mistake. When I think of surrender, I think of accepting Life as it IS, no longer fighting with myself wishing Life was something else. In each of the 4 synoptic Gospels there is the extraordinary scene where Jesus goes to pray. He knows he will be betrayed. He knows he will be arrested. He knows his time as the physical leader of this ministry is coming to an end, which is why when he finds the disciples—the men charged with carrying on his message, asleep, Jesus is completely dismayed. He prays to God and in all the Gospel stories but John, Jesus very clearly asks God that it not be Jesus’ will that is done, but only God’s. In the Gospel of John, Jesus’ prayers are different, more in-depth and rich but the essence of surrendering one’s agenda to that of God’s is the same. When the soldiers come, Jesus does not fight. He surrenders to them knowing full well what his example of surrendering to God will mean not only to his disciples but to every single person who dares to pay attention.

Luke 22; 39 – 66 Mark 14: 32-66 Matthew 26: 36- 69 John 18

As far as I’m concerned, this is one of the most powerful actions of accepting and surrendering to the will of God that I know of. Jesus’ action shows us how to undeniably Trust God’s will. I turn to this example every single time Life challenges me. When my daughter was diagnosed with cancer and I thought she might die, I remember thinking, “I must surrender to Life as it is..right now..even though I’m freaking out..even though I’m terrified beyond all measure..even though having her leave this life at only 4 years of age seems beyond cruel, I MUST surrender to it.” It is as it IS and this IS-ness was so clearly God. Miraculously, I found peace with Aria’s cancer. Trust me, it wasn’t always pretty and I certainly lacked the grace most people seem to possess but I got there. Aria is alive and her journey taught me to Trust in what IS.

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile
The next time you ask God a specific question. take time to write down the answer you receive. Did this writing your answer down help you understand his direction?

I pray and can't say that I hear a voice answer my prayers, rather my prayer is answered in a visible way through action or a sudden eureka moment on my part. I haven't written down my prayer requests and answers or solutions I've received, though this could act as a sort of gratitude journal for someone. If they are feeling down they could read back through all the prayers that have been answered and be encouraged of God's love.

I had a lady encourage me last week to reread through some literature from October as a review for something else. However what I read ended up being the most valuable information for the situation I was going through. I count this as having a prayer answered.

One area that I can overlook if not careful is wanting answers for something that is not reasonable. I shouldn't be praying to receive a sports car for example. I need to keep my prayers in line with God's will. Malachi 3:6 let's me know that God has not changed. Times change, but God has not. So before I pray for something I ask myself if this is something God would answer.

Julia- IMO I think what one gets from the Bible is subjective. Those who study it for secular reasons may or may not receive what they are seeking. Those who study it as the instruction manual for life and the way to everlasting life may or may not receive what they are seeking. Happy to hear your daughter is doing well.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com

Edited by - FarmDream on Jan 11 2012 2:45:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  10:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Prayer:

"Many people pray as though to overcome the will of a reluctant God, instead of taking hold of the willingness of a loving God."

The question is not "God, can you give me what I want please?" It's "God, what is the best for me?" (or the person I am praying on behalf of)

I also get a lot of mileage out of "please close the wrong doors and open the right ones".

The Bible:

To Christians, the Bible is partially "an instruction manual", but its really more like a letter from God to us (and dictated to the authors.) The underlying theme from beginning to end is the story of God's love for mankind. It starts in creation, where creating a world that brought Adam joy, brought pleasure to God, in the same kind of way giving your child an amazing Christmas gift they love more than any other pleases a parent.

The rest is a story that follows God's relationship with man, and explains to us the nature of an infinite being who's number one priority is humanity. That's a pretty big wow.
I have never read about, or heard of a diety that put half as much concern towards mortals as the God of Christianity (and I spent some effort chasing down paganism.) If a person believes in an omnipotent force or a creator, I'd like to see any reasons that make a god of another name or set of beliefs MORE worthy of consideration than "The Great I Am".

(Numbers 23:19 NIV) God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Exodus 34:5-7 NIV) Then the LORD came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD. {6} And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, {7} maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin.

And of course, John 3:16. Sadly so cliche'd today, it's difficult to imagine the scope of what it really means.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  06:41:34 AM  Show Profile

I tend to let family member's behavior affect my behavior, so I have used God's Word to direct my thoughts and feelings by meditating on God's Word for guidance. His mercy is continuous in my life. I mess up, he loves me anyway.

In the past I have copied Bible verses, glued them to note cards, and put them in a ring. I used to carry them anywhere I went. I stopped doing that, but still have the cards. I do keep a Bible in the glove compartment of my van. When I have to run kids here and there, or have to wait in my van, I have it there to read.

I recently have written down verses, one different one every week or so, and kept it in my pants/jacket pocket. When a situation is present, I can take out my paper and read it.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  06:48:10 AM  Show Profile
On the 2nd question, I have a question. Why does God speak to some people so clearly and others have to search and read and go through all kinds of things to finally get that answer? There are so many times I have prayed specifically for my kids and right away He answers and does something. Other times, and there are alot, He does nothing. Or so I think. But is He really doing nothing?

I started journaling when my youngest daughter was 15. My oldest is 2 years older. They are now 32 and 30. I have stacks of journals. And they are mostly about those 2 girls. It's very depressing to go back and read some of them. BUT MOST of the time, there is GOOD things that I wrote down. God is SO good. And I have to ask for Him to forgive me SO many times for my unbelief. SO many times. And the past few weeks has been a very anxious time for me. But I KNOW that He hears me and He loves me and He WILL take care of me. He's up there right now working on some of my prayers. So why do I worry and fret and make myself sick sometimes because He does not come down here and stand in front of me and TELL me step by step what I am supposed to do. It just does not work that way. At least not for me. Well, maybe a few times. But I will tell those stories in a few days.

I am so enjoying the time I am spending looking into God's word and praying and asking for His guidance. Yesterday, I sat here and typed out most of the devotional and I wanted to check it so hit the preview button and it all dissappeared. Gone in a flash. I almost cried. Well, I did. So I will try to get it back up. It's just so good. But maybe it was just for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  4:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Thank You Ashley for this new topic my mind is pondering. I have to say though, I am reading a devotional book & Rick Warren's A Purpose Driven Life & they are running on the same lines as this topic. I can only conclude that the Lord is talking to me through these forms :) I find He talks to me by urging me, to continue reading. Heck, he even dropped the book at my feet, literally the first time I read it & now I have this urge to read & think about it at a more leisurely pace. To answer How have I used God's word to help in my decisions. I am still pondering the question but I do know when I have some decision to make, I take my Bible & I flip the pages & where my finger stops, I read the passage. It has helped find my answers numerous times & has given me peace. I know that might sound a bit childish but I do not know the Bible well enough, to go to exactly where I would find the answer. Again, I can only conclude that the Lord has helped me, by using this childish manner :)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  7:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Kris~ I was really moved to read your post. You present such a wonderful existential question. Why is it that sometimes my prayers are answered so clearly and other times they seem ignored? Then you added the clincher question,"But is HE really doing nothing?" What comes to mind is a great quote by Rumi. "There are many kinds of prayers that God in His infinite kindness ignores." Wow right?! What your question is getting at and is right in line with Rumi's quote is that when we come to stand before God full of ego our intention, good or bad, gets in the way of everything. Our ego blocks our intention from going out and inhibits anything from being received. How do you know your ego is speaking? Every single time you begin a prayer with I you can rest assured that your ego is dancing up a storm!

I gasped when I read that you typed up your response, hit the wrong key and poof! Nothing makes me swear like sailor more than that! I'm sorry it happened but it sounds like you are fully recovered. Blessings to you!

Madeline I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are so aware of what isn't 'coincidence' in life. The book, literally, falling at your feet made me smile ear to ear. It made me think of a story that goes something like there's this guy on a capsized boat floating in the sea. He prays to God for a sign that he will be rescued. Just as he's finishing his prayer a little rickety tug boat chugs on by. The captain offers to bring him on board when the man waves him away saying that he's waiting for a sign from God. Next a scuba diver shows up with his fancy sail boat not too far away and the man does the same thing. Next a cruise ship comes along but the man refuses to get on board steeped in his conviction that God will save him. Finally hours pass and he's beginning to lose hope. Suddenly he hears a thunderous voice shout at him, "What is your problem?" The man is terrified and and stutters, "I was just waiting for a sign from you is all!" God replied, "For heavens sake, I sent you a tug boat, a diver and a cruise ship! What other signs did you want?!"

I grow ever more confident that Life unfolding precisely as it IS is the wisdom of God. When we fight it, we suffer.

Ladies, here is my perspective on Verses 2 and 3.

Verse 2: Exodus 37:1-5 (Ask for detailed directions)
In Exodus 35: 30-35 Moses speaks of a craftsman named Bezalel who was filled with the Holy Spirit to carry out the building of the tabernacle and the ark. It was not Moses who was commanded to do these things but I’m assuming he was led to this man and reassured him of the task at hand. Here’s where the skeptic in me comes out in shining color. What does it mean to be God Inspired? Is the voice of God really that specific and more to the point, is it important that voice of God be so specific, so precise..right down to the last cubit and the number of gold rings necessary to hold the poles to carry the ark? Why do those specifications have to be God’s blueprint? I ask the question to challenge the literal interpretation.

My view of this passage isn’t that the God gave Bezalel the Home Depot list of supplies and the building specifics directly but that these things were “God Inspired” to suggest that they were very important. Everything about the tablets of the Ten Commandments, how they were to be displayed and preserved forever in the ark, shrouded in the finest cloth suggests that they were spectacularly important. When one is to make an offering to God, one must offer the finest of everything. Bezalel, with Moses, wanted and needed to do this and so they did. It makes me think of the magnificent cathedrals of the world. There’s one in Germany, in Trier that took 800 years to build! Generations of people worked on this cathedral. Masons, stained glass artisans, black smiths etc…dedicated their lives to erecting a monument to God. Did God tell them precisely what to do and how to build this cathedral? I don’t think so but the inspiration that their faith gave them led them to devote everything they had to this building. Therefore, it isn’t necessary that God specify these things..What’s important, is that people dare to listen deeply to God’s voice that waits so patiently in the depths of one’s heart and act accordingly with the gifts they possess.

Verse 3: 1 Kings 19:12 (Listen for a still small voice)
What I LOVE about this verse is how Elijah was completely freaking out! He was so battered and confused that I can almost picture him floundering around like a madman. He traveled the classic mythological 40 days and 40 nights hero’s journey until he comes upon a cave. Here’s where it gets awesome! He hears the voice of God but he can’t figure out where it is and where it’s coming from. A gale storm breaks out so severe that the mountain is crumbling. He’s watching rocks fall crashing down the mountainside. But he realizes the voice of God he’s hearing is not in the wind. Next, the earth trembles and he survives an earthquake but once again the voice of God is not that. Next a fire breaks out and as he watches the voice he hears is not there in the fire. He listens again, deeper, with greater humility and he discovers that the voice of God is within him! The poetry of this verse is so magnificent. The still small voice he hears is so humbling that he covers his face with his cloak. I can only imagine that he wants to listen so intently that he doesn’t want his eyes to distract him.

Listening to the voice of God within is one of the oldest pieces of wisdom that has been shared with us through all the great sages. There isn’t a single religion that does not promote this truth.

For me personally the voice that competes most competently with the voice of God has absolutely nothing to do with outside forces. Those are just excuses we’ve inherited because they’re convenient outlets for placing blame. The truth is that nothing is noisier than the voice of my own ego! When my ego takes the form of my mean spirited fire-breathing dragon, this is the voice of doubt that I hear with such fierceness that I often wonder why I don’t cry more often. This is the voice that is always reminding me of the ways I fall short, the things I shouldn’t do, shouldn’t say, can’t do as well as others and so forth. This dragon of mine is enormous sometimes and it totally blocks my way. I’m learning how to slay it with mindful courage and confidence. When my ego takes the form of an inflated bobble-head, this voice boasts with such recklessness that I swear it relishes in watching me walk toward fire! When I am settled—when my mind is empty and when I take the time to notice that what I do and who I am is ‘good enough’, I hear that small voice and it tells me to ‘just be.’

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  04:14:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris :) I thought about you questioning the second question over night & the only answer I came up with is that we are all different. The way & means we conclude that the Lord is reaching out to us, will always be different. No two people learn the same way. So, I think hearing from the Lord will come to you in a way, only you can understand, unique to your needs & personality. It has been said, to never compare yourself to others. Do Not loose Faith or Heart, He will reveal Himself. He may just drop a book at your feet ;)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  04:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,

I think one thing I've noticed is that the key in all of this is give God the wheel and ask for what you think you want/need. He may know better and decide you do not want/need whatever it is you feel is important at that time.

I'm going to skip to #2. It held significant power for me. One of the additional verses was Jame 1:5-8. I really feel like this should have been a main verse in the study, but it could just be what I needed to hear at that time. This part of the scripture was what made it all click:(6)But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, b/c he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind (7)That man should not think he would receive anything from the Lord.

It shows me that doubt in the Lord (which in all honesty I've had my fair share of) is the key to most of our problems. Doubt in general is like a cancer at times for me.

In this part of the syudy it says that "God does not want us to be robots". The idea that we were created to think, create, and choose is in some way a comfort to me.

I really love all of your comments as I read through this. Such a blessing each of you are.

Much love,
Ashley

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  06:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, I read that verse too and it really made me think. I must say that I doubt quite a bit. Just like the past few weeks. Especially when someone says they are sending me something and I am expecting it and running to the mailbox every day and it's not there. And we are getting farther and farther behind. I get discouraged. Very easlily. And I can't understand why I put so much faith in people when ALL my faith should be in God ONLY. I know people will fail me. I fail people so much myself. I should know this. That scripture makes so much sense. I do love how God just pops those verses out for us to see. Then we have that little "ah ha" moment. And things make a little more sense. I know God is still trying to teach me so much. And I am SO slow at learning. And I think that's ok. Life is just one big lesson anyway. I am so thankful we have a guidebook to get us through.

Julia, my Grandmother told me years ago that all our prayers are up there with God. We just have to pray that one time and He gets it. If we never say that particular prayer ever again, He is working on it. We may never see that prayer answered in our lifetime, but one way or another, it is answered. And you say that if we start a prayer with "I" then our ego is speaking? So we need to change our way of wording our prayers. We should always ask for God's will in every situation. I hardly ever pray for myself, except to ask God to keep my mouth shut or help me to say the right things. Which is so hard for me, especially with my kids. I am still learning that lesson as well. And I have big feet!

Thank you, Maddie, for all your input. You have such a sweet gentle spirit. I do pray for that alot. I am so glad we are all different and we do see God differently too. He does speak to each of us in a way that we can understand. Sometimes it takes longer for one person than another. I know what you mean about dropping things at one's feet. Sometimes the answers are right under our noses all along.

I am going to do the 3rd question later. So I will see y'all then.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:29:21 AM  Show Profile
This is the BEST!

Ashley, "Doubt in general is like a cancer at times." I understand your metaphor but from my point of view Doubt is like a wee splinter to the wickedness that cancer is. Cancer is a beast all to itself and doubt...well doubt is a tough-love kind of teacher.

Friends~ One of the things that challenges me about studying the Bible is pulling out lines and passages as if those single sentences or short paragraphs paint an entire picture. Sometimes they do but not always. It's like quoting only a single line from a poem and not considering the whole piece as it paints the full picture.

What you quoted from James is a beautiful case in point. You've selected the author's lines about Doubt and he says very clearly that we should not doubt for if we do, we are like the waves of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. What is implied here when reading it in isolation this way is that the man has doubts in God and I don't think that's what the author intended. To read this all by itself does not capture what the author is trying to say about the very difficult thing it is for us to NOT be seduced by doubt or wavering faith. It only tells us not to, which speaks to our egos that love nothing more than to remind us of how weak and lowly we are. But when you read the entire passage a bigger picture comes forth.

The first line simply suggests the author's audience but the second and third lines highlight what his entire point is and it is no mistake that this comes at the beginning. It is a literary tool to suggest emphasis. The author writes, "Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." WOW! From the beginning he lets us know that seeking wisdom will bring trial and error. He gives us a permission slip that says, "Don't worry about fumbling..it's all good!" He follows that in the fourth line with, "And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." Oh man...what a beautiful thing to say. He is totally acknowledging that the way to wisdom is through growth, which is painful but to stick to it is all that matters. Every mistake, every falter, every question, every everything still makes one perfect and complete. He is speaking of the divinity within each and every one of us. He is sharing an ancient wisdom. He goes on in the fifth line to acknowledge that not everyone has come to this wisdom yet. "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God who gives to all men generously and without reproaching, and it will be given him." The next line is what you've already discussed but as I read it I wonder if the author is referring to one having doubt in God or having doubt in oneself. I tend to read it as the latter not the former. I think that because of the metaphor he uses after it. The man who doubts is tossed around in this life easily persuaded up by the slightly breezy distraction.

The author spends the next 15 lines discussing what it is to be a man in doubt. He uses the analogy of the poor man who is tried and tested again and again comparing himself to the rich man who seems to have everything, including the favor of God. In our time, this is exactly like the rich man who thanks God for his gifts and talents that have led him to such wealth but refuses to support people he deems unworthy, below him, of a lower class, etc..etc..We hear stories of this all the time. I can think of no better example than the Wal-Mart shoppers who trample upon other people even unto death in order to get their discounted X-Box! The one in doubt stands and watches in horror and asks, "How can this happen? How can people get away with this?" The author tells us that they don't. They suffer and if we stay in doubt of how life plays out in its infinite wisdom we will never see it. The author ends this extraordinary passage by simply sharing more ancient wisdom. It isn't what you say..it's what you do. It isn't what you look like..it's who you are...In the Gospel of Thomas Jesus said (I'm paraphrasing) it isn't what you put into your mouth that matters (he was referring to purity and kosher laws) it is what comes out that is important.

My friends..it seems to me that James is encouraging us to not doubt in ourselves because when we do, we doubt God. He speaks so clearly in lines 12 - 15 of the pitfalls of the ego and how the ego loves to create doubt and when one lacks wisdom that doubt is misinterpreted and placed upon God.

Oh man..there I go again..Somebody just slap me!!! This really is one of my favorite thins to talk about and I can babble on a lot!! But your inquiries and comments are so inspiring and insightful that I can't resist!!! Let me know if it gets to be too much. Seriously, I can handle it!!! Many blessings to each of you!!

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1420 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1420 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  5:44:42 PM  Show Profile
1.How have you used God's Word to guide your decisions?

When I am facing a decision, I find everything I can in my Bible that would pertain to the situation. Based from what GOD say's, I then pray and apply it to my life.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Topic 2: Jan. Bible Study Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page