Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What should I do with my tin cupboards?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What should I do with my tin cupboards? Next Topic  

Soon To Be Mrs States
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Claudia
State College PA
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  11:03:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a farmhouse that most of it has been remolded, but i have kept the charm that a farmhouse can bring.

My question is; What do I do with those old tin cabinets that i love, but they have been painted so much, the nobs/drawl pulls are very out dated)? They are in excellent shape, no rust (or they would have been pitched a long time ago) I thought about getting some wood cabinets made, but i have developed a love for these and dont have the heart to get rid of them. They have been in the house for over 50 years! I would feel like i was throwing away apart of the house if i got rid of them.

Anyone have any ideas?

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile
How about a picture?

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:47:34 PM  Show Profile
I love old metal cabinets too. Are they old built-ins or free-standing? My parents had a built-in one for the kitchen sink many years ago. But it must have been thrown out when they remodeled the kitchen. And I remember a fabulous metal "hutch" with glass front doors on the top at my aunt's house. I have no idea what happened to that. What a shame we didn't appreciate them...

I have two of the tall free-standing ones with two long doors from my parents' house. One is in the basement and holds games and toys for the grandkids. The other one is smaller and fits in my hall bathroom for towels, etc. I wish one of them would fit in my kitchen but no way. I painted both of them - they were in ok shape, but kind of grungy looking. I didn't change the handles - I like them the way they are.

Yes - send pictures. I'm sure you could update them with a nice paint job - although, I love the way it looks when the paint is worn off the metal. Good luck.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Yes Tamara is right....a picture would be helpful.

Can you replace the nobs and drawer pulls with different ones that better suit your style? I did this with the ugly 1970's cabinets in my kitchen and bathroom. It made a huge difference and it didn't cost a whole lot.

Another idea would be to add some simple painted stripes or or stencils to update the look - a friend of mine added stripes to her cabinet doors to match her collection of yellow ware bowls and it turned out really nice.

If your cabinets are made out of a metal that magnets will stick to, you could even make some pretty magnetic decorations.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile
I too would have to see pics... You could always take them down, soak them in paint stripper to get back to the raw metal look and change the drawer pulls, that's a cheap fix from Lowes/Home Depot. Distressed Shabby Chic is always in "farmgirl" style.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jan 16 2012 2:17:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  3:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
with out a pic, this is my first thought: i would attack the edges with some sandpaper and show off all those layers of paint and love, then give them new hardware (maybe old spoons?)

www.muddyprincess.wordpress.com

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  3:51:09 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like you already have your solution. You can't bear to get rid of them. The knobs are in excellent shape. You could put some new knobs on but would it look right or should you put some new time period correct knobs? Maybe look for pics of other kitchens with the tin cabinets.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Soon To Be Mrs States
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Claudia
State College PA
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Sorry about the spelling on my first post, smart phones don't always do the smartest things! I have thought about changing the knobs and pulls. They are free standing, so I can move them around. I don't have any that hang on the wall. Those were thrown away before i came into the picture (The farmhouse was from my boyfriends family). I don't really need any that hang on the wall because i have a 10x10 pantry that alot of my items go in. I actually just redid the pantry as well. it was nothing but thing wooden planks hanging on the wall. (about as wide as a cereal box) I took all of those down and put 4 industrial stainless steel bakers rack in. I highly recommend those to anyone that is willing to purchase them! I found them at target for $49.99 each! But back to the cabinets. What type of new knobs and pulls would you suggest? That sounds like something that would update them. The ones that are on there now are square and quite dated, and ugly. I'm all for the retro look, but not quite that style. I love old things of all sorts, i'm up for any creative ideas! Thanks for your help thus far!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  10:14:03 AM  Show Profile
ok this may be a bit odd-er than you are looking for..but with old cabinets I would get some old silver plated spoons that are worn in look...flatten out the spoon part...drill a couple of holes & bend the handle part into a door handle & attach them to the cabinets...I have a ton of all silver plated spoons I am going to do this with when i get my cabinets repainted this year ( hopefully)...i love the look plus the idea of re-using something that can't be used for its normal purpose anymore.....you could go with newer silverware but I love the worn look of the plated silver...anyway a idea :)...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  6:31:37 PM  Show Profile
You can also just go to lowes/home depot and browse the drawer pulls they have in stock. (But I prefer Michele's flatware idea)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What should I do with my tin cupboards? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page