Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 exercise, eating right and weight loss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic exercise, eating right and weight loss Next Topic
Page: of 15

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  08:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Sisters! It is a lovely day in the Ozarks! Today was my monthly weigh in....i've lost 16 lbs. and a total of 12 inches....and that's all great!!! However, what I value the most is so much more energy! I can work longer than 15 minutes at a time!!! The weigh in is a total from february 24th. It has been work, but sooo worth it! I have ten mo lbs. to go!

Gotta move, Sisters! LOL
Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  09:45:55 AM  Show Profile
Kathy and Marylyn, it is so nice to see you here. Marylyn congratulations on your steady weightloss. So glad to hear you feel more energetic.

Kristina, hope dh is doing well. It's like he is training for a marathon, but giving a kidney instead. Is the procedure soon? My admiration and best wishes to him and the receipient! Glad you are plugging along like me. Or maybe you are doing much better than me! Just glad to still hear from you.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  3:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Auntie M - Great on your weight loss. (I think my hubby found it!)

I don't need to loose weight, but I really need to work on my poor old arthritic joints. I have to move or I'm afraid I'll freeze up!! I sound like one of those old fashioned type writers when I first get up in the morning - remember those? - click....snap...click...snap...and when I finally do get up....ding!

Cleaned up garden today only 1 hour...then I took myself to see "Mirror, Mirror" at the movies. Really cute. I liked it.

Keep up all your hard work sisters!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  6:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Everyone is doing awesome! I haven't been following my exercise regime. I keep meaning to but the last couple weeks of this semester really piled on the work and the stress. However, we have been doing more walking and such. I had to go on a nature hike with my geography class last week- that was a work out! Climbing over rocks and going up and down hills. I need to go up there more often and powerwalk or something! Today a little bit of walking but not as much as I would like. I want to go out and walk the dog but she is in heat and I can't risk someone else's dog accosting her.

So tomorrow. Tomorrow the eliptical is going to get a workout. I am making this a promise to myself.

I am also trying to be better about remembering my water. I was doing so good and then I realized I had started to forget the water again. Being healthy can be hard sometimes! :)

Good News-
I have almost perfected my No Flour/ No Sugar Pumpkin Flax muffins. They are starting to taste pretty good! I am down to the last little tweeks to get them to where I want. They are probably the healthiest things I have ever baked- full of pumpkin and flax with eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. I throw in a bit of splenda for sweetness. I made some today and I just need to turn up the volume on the sweetness and the spices and they will be right! :) When I get them where I want them I will share the recipe. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  6:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Kathy and Marianne!!!! Alee, I can't wait to try your new recipe...it sounds delish!!! Kind of quiet here tonight,,,dh is playing horseshoes tonight! Every Tuesday...did I mention that I smile every time I read 'Farmgirl in Training'? ; )

Now to find something to snack on!!!!

Have a good evening,
Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:18:04 AM  Show Profile
I really need to get in here and stay intouch with all you dedicated ladies. My grandson came to live with us in january and before I blinked twice my pants were bagging. I had lost almost 20 pounds!! I am happy and decided that I could do even more if I was trying. So I am trying to move more and now I believe I am also dealing with meno as well.

So I may be coming in here and yelling for help!

Keep up the good work everyone.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Got in 2 hours yesterday evening. I was really only going to just sit on the patio, enjoying the sounds, then I noticed a couple of tomato and green pepper plants needing to be potted up. So I went into the green house and just started moving plants from small pots to bigger pots - can't plant in the ground for a couple of weeks yet - and before I knew it, it was two hours later!! Husband says I just keep getting lost in the green house. I talk to all my plants and move them around....he thinks I'm crazy, but we do have early tomatoes and peppers and salad all year long.

I also did about 2 hours dancing along with my Star Wars game. Whew, now that's a work out!!

Alee - dying to try your muffin recipe too. Sounds yummy. Have you tried honey for sweetness?

I use pumpkin or butternut squash puree in a lot of foods.

My problem is that I really do need to get more fruits and veggies in my diet. Banana at breakfast and green beans or corn at dinner just doesn't do it. Aren't we supposed to get 5 or 6 servings of fruit/veggies per day? I think I read that somewhere. Somebody, please tell me that chocolate is a veggie. What about chocolate covered strawberries? Does that count as 2?

Keep smiling sisters. Later!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathy- No-no honey for me. I am doing Atkins so I can't do any sugar for a while- even natural sugars like honey. I was getting really sick and on my way to a diabetic future and a doctor recommended this diet. So far it is working. I have lost just shy of 9 pounds this month! I am really excited and I might make my goal of 10 pounds lost this month. I would like to see 15 if at all possible before the first weekend in May. I am going to be going on a long horse back ride and would like to not only be more comfortable, but not feel so guilty when I ride my horse! LOL

My last batch of the muffins was MUCH better but still tweaking. The flax can really wash out the tastes in the muffins so I am working on trying to turn up the volume without it being obnoxious (had that happen...yuck!)

I will probably try another round on Sunday when I have a bit more time. Today is my first day off since school ended for the semester and I promised myself I would get through a C25K workout before going out to ride- so I should have a nice active day ahead! :)

jollyquilter- that is awesome that you dropped 20 pounds! Amazing! Keep of the great work!

Kathy- some of those games can really give you a good workout! We have the kinect and about die when we play the "adventure" games! Phew! We need to break those out more often!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Kathy it sounds like you and I are after the same goal. I want to keep what muscle I have. While pampering my knees, hips and back ... not an easy task! I have a Pilates reformer that I may have to reintroduce myself to since I haven't been on it in a week! Our weather finally turned warm and I headed outside to clean some beds. I worked hard enough that I thought I could skip my usual workout. Not really the best idea, I would be better served if I did both rather than one or the other.

Alee, my MIL has had great success staying off any kind of medication for diabetes by eliminating flour, such as bread, crackers, tortillas and starches like rice and potatoes. It sounds like Atkins follows those same ideas, right? I hope you have the success she is enjoying. She still cannot eat those items because they make her blood sugar shoot up immediately. But, she did have good luck losing weight through the elimination also.

One thing I know is different things work for different people. Everyone needs to find what they are willing to live without or what they are willing to do to have certain foods in their diet. It is a different choice for all of us!

Sounds like everyone is really working up a sweat with all the new systems. We have a wi, but our most physically taxing game is bowling!!

take care gals
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  3:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marianne- Yes- Atkins is all about controlling carbs. So I can have a max of 20 carbs a day and there are certain foods I have to avoid. During induction there are only certain veggies I can eat and no fruit or breads. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  5:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Atkins is weigh too much to keep track of. (get the pun?) My brother tried it for a couple of months but only lost his mind. He ended up doing Medifast and after 2 years has kept off over 60 pounds.

Kim - congrats on your loss. BTW - I just stopped by your etsy shop. What a great idea you have with those seed balls. Bought some once at a Farmer's Market. Loved the pretty butterfly flowers that came out of them.

Alee - I will still try your creation when you're done with tweaking it. Can't wait. I've never created my own recipe - well except for meat loaf. I usually just toss whatever I can find in the fridge into the grinder with the some meat and see what comes out.

Only got in 1 hour walking today. 1/2 an hour with doggies (sad faced doggies here) and 1/2 hour at Hobby Lobby.

Ooohh...I just noticed there's nobody in the tub! I'm off to soak & read.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  07:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathy- I certainly can understand that view point. I think they have made some streamlines to the Atkins program in recent years but I am actually using an old copy of the book. I like it but I definitly think that one diet doesn't work for everyone.

One thing I dislike about being a woman is that you don't often see much weight change during that time. So I am patiently sticking to the program and trying to ignore my scale for the next week or so. :( Grr. I love the motivation that comes from seeing the scale move.

Yesterday I went for a really long ride on Tala and walked a bit to get her and bring her around to be saddled and then take her back to her friends. I am a bit sore today but that just means that muscles were worked... Yay!

I did about 10 minutes on my eliptical yesterday after my ride but was feeling pretty beat and went to bed early.

Anyway I better run- running out of time this morning!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  08:08:28 AM  Show Profile
Beachy.....thanks I am trying to lose more now and I am trying to lose more and I am so glad I found this place. Thanks on the seed balls as well. They are pretty neat and they are selling well for me now.

I am trying to get as much "moving" in as possible. Yesterday I only walked for about an hour, but we went fishing after school and did some walking during that as well.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com

Edited by - jollyquilter on Apr 27 2012 08:11:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  05:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Woo Hoo!! I am right on the cusp of losing 10 pounds in a month!! I am so thrilled!! I might even go over my goal if I keep this up! I hope I can meet or surpass this goal next month! I would love to be down another 10 pounds before my grandfather's birthday in June!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  2:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Alee - have you tried grinding the flax seeds up? Maybe that might help. What about Stevia? Can you use Stevia? Or what about some mashed banana? I really don't know much about the Adkins diet, but I'm here to support you....and wait for your recipe. And great job on that 10 pounds!! We're all doing a happy dance for you.

Oldest daughter & I went to see opera "The Tempest" by Shakespear. It was done for children, but doing it that way, well, we did not enjoy it very much. Even the kids around us didn't like it. It was really a waste of 90 minutes. We clapped and hooted, but only to make the actors feel better. Not going to do that again.

We walked around later at an outdoor market, gathering little bits of fluff....home made soap, teas, candles & 1 embroider kit that someone got then didn't do. About 2 hours.

Going to go work on the newest Leggo structure - the town hall. Has over 1200 pieces. This may take a couple of days or more.

Good night sisters!! Sleep well.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathy- Yes I use flaxmeal which is ground flaxseeds- and on Atkins you are supposed to stay away from sugar which includes that in fruit! ;) You can use Stevia or Splenda. I am using Splenda since that is 1:1 ratio for sugar. I haven't made any more yet this week- been to busy but I will probably make a batch tomorrow.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  10:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone.
I have been trying to lose weight for awhile. I have finally started with a shake in the morning and most evenings and high proteing lunch. I avoid carbohydrate as much as possible. I love chocolate and sweets as much as the next gal, but my strategy now is to limit myself to Saturdays. The rest of the week I stick to healthy eating.

I have also been walking vigorously, increasing in distance for the last few months. Its just gotten routine, so I just ordered a trampoline, I don't have it yet. However a misshap playing with my dog, she scratched my eye and tore my vitreous on my right eye so I can't run or jump or turn my head quick or anything right now, but I can still walk and am doing that until approved for exercise again.

So far I have lost 29 pounds, but I have hit a plateau. I am excited to hear what is working for you all. Strength in numbers!

Silverweed-Alexis...Farmgirl#4034

A weed is just a plant that no one has found a use for yet...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  05:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the group Alexis!! It sounds like you are doing great! Keep of the great work!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  10:40:26 AM  Show Profile
I am checking in and I have to say that I have done alot of walking and moving in general this weekend. We have fished for 2 days and we went for a 7 mile hike yesterday. I will be mowing this afternoon and weed eating. And we will be eating fish for dinner.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  11:47:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee, thank you! I am working on it. I haven't walked today, but I am inspired now by the blog, so I am going to put this away now and go for a walk. Glad to have found you all!
Have a great day all! I hope you are a having sun like we are here in Maine despite a chilly wind!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Alexis! It is rainy and cloudy here but a beautiful day even still. I am working on getting some house cleaning and some projects done. I also went with Nora to pick up our Bountiful Basket for the week. We got some good things and I am looking forward to ordering some more diversity tomorrow. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  2:33:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone and Welcome Alexis -- you are gonna have to help us, too!!

I had a nice walk around our property ( 28 acres) with my daughter, her dog and my husband and my two dogs. It was leisurely since our lab is 12 and that is sort of a long ways for her now. The 9 year old chihuahua was fast as could be and my daughter's 6 year old lab was crazed!

Then I got all my veggie seeds started ... probably seems late to some of you. We don't plant outside until the first week of June here. So, I have had a good day so far although it did start with my dh leaving for the airport. He's on the east coast until Thursday. Gotta keep the world in chocolate! He's at a manufacturing confectioneers assoc. meeting. It used to be held in Hershey, but the rest of the industry got tired of paying Hershey so much so now it is in Philadelphia, I think. Oh well, not too interesting....

See ya soon
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  2:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Just checking in. Only walked for about half an hour today. Knee giving me too much trouble for anything more.

Now I'm sitting here eating M&Ms!!

The weather is so nice, I have my back door wide open and my greenhouse doors open wide and it's still 75 in there!

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  8:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I think I have a pretty good incarnation of the pumpkin flax muffins. I postd my current recipe on my blog. Once I move to the ongoing weightloss phase of atkins I am going to try again using some nut flours for a different consistency and taste! This is fun!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
92 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi all:
I went for my walk today and realized that the walk that used to be so difficult only takes me about 15 minutes now when I'm walking fast... I need to step up my excercise routine... It rained a lot today so I didn't take a chance on a longer walk. I am waiting on delivery of a trampoline, one of the small exercise ones, and then Thursday I find out from the eye doc if I can use it, my dog scratched my eyeball on accident while playing and I have been told no running, jumping etc, just walking for now... keep your fingers crossed, I want to get moving.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic exercise, eating right and weight loss Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page