FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  08:37:21 AM  Show Profile
Mini, I think this is being blown way out of proportion--a)none of us know her, so there's no need to get our knickers all balled up. b) From what I can gather, the label "Pioneer Woman" is ironic--it's not meant to convey that she's living in a tent out in the foothills of the Dakota's. I didn't read her from the beginning, but I gathered pretty much off the bat that was a bit of a joke and more describing her adventure as a city girl turned country girl, whether she's good at it or no--thus, a pioneering spirt.

Sure, your opinion is valid, like everyone else's. This is an innocent thread, really...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Pioneer
"pi·o·neer (p-nîr)
n.
1. One who ventures into unknown or unclaimed territory to settle.
2. One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development: a pioneer in aviation.
3. A soldier who performs construction and demolition work in the field to facilitate troop movements.
4. Ecology An animal or plant species that establishes itself in a previously barren environment.adj."
1 & 2 are Ree, moving from the city (LA) to the OK plains
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  11:13:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Jonni for the info. I too am running around like crazy on Saturday. Hopefully this Saturday I will check it out. It'll be nice to catch a different type of cooking show for a change. I hope they show the horses and the cows and the Basset hound. I would love seeing the animals as well as the recipes.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  11:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, you have every right to your opinion. If you don't care for the show, you should state that you don't care for the show and we all need to have as much respect for that opinion as we have respect for those who like the show. I have not seen the show - just don't have much time for tv. And BTW, you do fit right in! The fact is, when any individual, I don't care if it is a politician, a movie star or an athelete, puts himself out into the public eye, there is going to be criticism. If one does not want criticism, then one doesn't need to go public. It just comes with the territory. Those with grace, accept the criticism and smile and encourage others to do the same on their behalf.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Neecerie
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Denise
Kirkland WA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  12:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Neecerie an AOL message
Everyone has a right to their opinion. And if you hate her show because its a crappy show or you dont like her smile, or her cooking or think her kids are ugly, etc, that just illustrates the 'there is something for everyone' difference in tastes that exists.

But to not like her show or her, because she has a large ranch, instead of a small one, or because she isn't 'enough' of some vague 'down home, country' value pretty much in my opinion goes against the whole idea of 'farmgirl' as MJ and we all here define it.

From this website itself: We are Sisters — a sisterhood of farmgirls. We’re country, we’re city, and every texture and stripe in between. It’s not at all about where we live, but how we live.

To me, judging not to like someone because their version of -farm- isn't yours and their version of something they struggle with isn't yours...*shrugs* pretty limiting.

The world's only Art Deco farmgirl?

Edited by - Neecerie on Sep 08 2011 12:09:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  12:16:10 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Linda. I feel bad that I haven't caught it yet, but I will. Maybe this Saturday! I just am always running around, up early that day because it's the only day I have to get stuff done if I'm not at the office. As warm as it's been of late, the earlier I get out, the better. Bet I don't have to think on that this weekend!

I too hope the see that basset hound. He cracks me up--much different than our rowdy crew!

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Sep 08 2011 12:18:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  08:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I missed it last Saturday and I'll be missing this one too. :( We have a local craft fair tomorrow...

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

My blog: www.crazykcreates.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  08:03:11 AM  Show Profile
Good luck on your craft show, Kayla. Hopefull fall weather is in the air there, and folks will be in the mood for buying!

Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
That's a great hope! Thanks! I desperately need to sell *something*!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

My blog: www.crazykcreates.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  04:43:08 AM  Show Profile
I think she's done very well fir herself, captured a "Niche" and has been successful. She's opened peoples minds, educated people, and helped people too. Can't argue with that! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  10:26:26 AM  Show Profile
I watched her show this morning and I liked it better than the first (I missed last week's show). You know, you're right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; their likes and dislikes. All programs are not for all people. I just think this is a way of life that alot of the very small farmgirls like me would enjoy; working the farm along side our husbands and taking care of our families which would include some very tasty meals. She is giving me some ideas. It's refreshing to see something different on the Food Network. It's a very unique show and I think this is what drew me to watch.

Donna Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  08:55:32 AM  Show Profile
I have been watchingher show every episode and i just love it. On one of her shows she made a very easy blackbery cobbler. Me and my family had a big chowder at our house recently and i made those and they just loved it and it was so easy to make. I plan to keep watching so i can make more of her food.

I am loving fall and all the wonderful colors and of course my Hot Tub!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  08:59:11 AM  Show Profile
Marcia, I STILL haven't caught it! In fact, seeing your post reminded me that it's even on. Saturdays are filled with CSA deliveries and shopping, but this was the last of the CSA pick ups, so maybe as we get closer to Thanksgiving, I can get some ideas. I took her sweet potatoes last year to our family gathering and came home with an empty dish. Everyone raved! I didn't get any, though, because I had such a serious sinus infection that I couldn't even taste anything. This year, maybe!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  09:03:00 AM  Show Profile
oh yeah i have it set on my dvr so i never miss an episode. I think it is my favorite show on food network now. Can't get enough!!

I am loving fall and all the wonderful colors and of course my Hot Tub!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  1:39:07 PM  Show Profile
I missed it last week. Did it come on earlier?

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  3:31:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure if it was on last week. I think I saw that she only did a few episodes, then she's going to have a holiday special (can't remember if it's Thanksgiving or Christmas) and then more new episodes after that. Knowing Food Network, I would think they would still show the existing episodes about 100 more times between now and then.
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  3:33:53 PM  Show Profile
You're absolutely right. Till we can quote them verbatim LOL

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  3:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Her website makes me fatter, but the bread pudding with whiskey sauce made me famous at DH's work.
I keep forgetting to watch.
I do think that celebrities should be nice to fans, because without the fans.........

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile
I think to understand a bit about Ree/Pioneer Woman you need to read her book which she use to have on the blog but I don't know if it's still there now that she's having it published and made into a movie. She was raised in a rich golf club style so for her to marry a rancher was very much pioneering because she knew nothing, including how to cook. She was terrified of horses yet married a horse rancher - that takes some guts and isn't that what pioneering is about? She was a vegetarian when she started going out with him, which he quickly changed. She may have money but she hasn't had an easy walk to get where she is even if she does have a lot of perks to go with it to make it easier. Her blog was initially designed to keep her family and friends updated on what was happening with her and grew from there. She never set out to become famous from blogging. It was a way to share pictures and events with those she loved.

Personally I love her recipes although I've gotten away from reading her blog as religiously as I use to. My man loves everything we've tried and several have turned into favorites like her mac n cheese and malboro man's favorite sandwich. We've watched the show and enjoyed it. I enjoy what I like and leave the rest, just like with any show. I love that she uses glass jars for drinking glasses. I enjoy that they show her transporting food to her family when they're working - it gives me ideas on lunches for work. I enjoy her making the recipes I remember my grandmothers making me and a lot of new ones. I'm sure tons of people contact her and want to meet her but she has a life and duties and those take preference over people's wants. We can't judge her from our prospective. She's going to be loved and hated just like any other celebrity.

I agree with whoever mentioned they use to love Rachel Ray too. Adored her when she first came out but can't stand any of her shows any more. Not sure what changed but something did. If the man comes in and her show or any of Sandra's are on he'll say "Turn it now" LOL

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  12:54:04 PM  Show Profile
I can't get her "Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich" to taste good. I've made it 3 times and I just can't get it "right". However, many of her dessert recipes (Well, they aren't HERS, but the ones she put in her cookbook) are some of my favorites-most of them are from "church ladies" and are wonderful, classic recipes.

I've followed Ree for about 7 years now. While the love affair is over, I really do have tons of respect for her as a businesswoman. :) She also has REALLY great taste!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Megan - The first time I made it I didn't use enough seasoning and sauce on it so you might want to try a lot more. She has another version of it you might want to try. I can't remember what she calls it though. I've been wanting to try it. I also agree with you, the love affair with Ree is over, but I still respect her and enjoy her recipes.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pioneer Woman Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page