Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  06:50:55 AM  Show Profile
The "Pioneer Woman" with her well read blog site is now going to host a program on the Food Network.

It's first airing will be today, Saturday Aug 26 at 11:30 EST and 10:30 CST. It appears to be a combo of on the farm living and great farm food.

Why not check it out and see what you think?

"But in all things, let there be a balance. As all of nature if left to its own path will seek balance. So should we

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Check your listings--just finished watching it in my little forgotten corner of the Pacific Northwest> It was on at 8:30 AM. It was wonderful and fun but I think I gained 5 lbs. just watching her make the chicken fried steak and creamy mashed potatoes that had tons of butter and cream cheese in it. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  10:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mary and Joann, I just finished watching it. What a cute fun show. It came on here at 11:30.
She fixes her country fried steak the same way I do.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  8:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh darn...I missed it!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  04:57:10 AM  Show Profile
it was really nice----I really enjoyed her show........will continue every SAturday at 11:30 am

Beverly

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  09:13:54 AM  Show Profile
I must be strange, I didn't care for it. I was expecting a show on doing things the old way with econonmical meals, not a show where she calls herself a "Pioneer" while living on what is easily a million dollar spread of land. They have a lodge on the property along with the regular house? I turned it off after 10 minutes. <shrug>

Mini
Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  09:30:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mini

I must be strange, I didn't care for it. I was expecting a show on doing things the old way with econonmical meals, not a show where she calls herself a "Pioneer" while living on what is easily a million dollar spread of land. They have a lodge on the property along with the regular house? I turned it off after 10 minutes. <shrug>

You're not strange at all. I don't care for her. I used to read her blog, but was turned off by the product plugging, and the fact that she's not very pioneer-like with all that money and fancy stuff.

I see her appeal, though, and tons of people adore her. She's just not for me.

Farmgirl #1980

My blog: http://alastconfession.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile
I've checked out her blog a couple of times, it was okay but not my taste. The recipe she fixed looked good, and some of her recipes are okay, the show just doesn't do it for me.

Mini

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  11:46:39 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all of the postings.. The comfort food is over the top with fat.. and best left for special occasions. OF course in Texas, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and white pan gravy is a Food Group!

She's not quite as "handy" with the cows as I expected. Maybe she will learn more in that category as the show continues. Perhaps we should tell her about MJFarm Magazine..LOL

Would love to see some down home peach pie/ cobbler with fresh churned ice cream!

I'll watch it again.

"But in all things, let there be a balance. As all of nature if left to its own path will seek balance. So should we
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  6:02:32 PM  Show Profile
I love Ree. She has never claimed to be a farmgirl She even calls herself an "accidental farmgirl", but she fell in love with a cowboy ( & a fine one too!!)
She IS wealthy, spreads her wealth in many ways and is just another take on folk that live in the country. & , personally, I would love to live on that property.
To see all of those gorgeous horses, & those cowboys in chaps!.. Oye to the Vey!!!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile
I missed it! I had planned on watching it, but then we had to get to the CSA and do our Saturday errands so I will catch up with next week. I like her--she was a former ballerina (like me) and never claimed to be a ranch hand. She's hilarious, she's witty! Though I can't cook her food all day, every day because I'd be enormous, each and everytime I make something from her book or her site, I get rave reviews.

I agree with Lisa--I think she's incredibly lucky to live on that ranch--there can be lots of money in ranching, depending on the breadth and size. I love looking at it from my 5 roomed 1920's cottage I share with my herd of dogs, husband and child, but I don't dislike her for it, nor do I envy or want it myself. It's just another way of life, and is just like all the other hosts on Food Network.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:33:26 PM  Show Profile
I looked forward to it and watched it on Saturday. The other gal in my office and I were discussing it this morning, and we both thought she seemed a little uncomfortable or nervous. We were both also hoping for a little more cooking, not that we don't love her family and all, since we both read her blog every day. I think the name "Pioneer Woman" was kind of a joke, something friends called her after she married into a ranching family. She has a fabulous sense of humor and I love reading about her life.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:39:55 PM  Show Profile
I really admire Ree. Her family reminds me of My husband and I. They are a really hard working family. My husband and I are up at 5:00 AM every morning except for Sundays. We all work as a team. We have worked hard together for 32 years. And because of this we have money and are very proud of our accomplishments. So I salute all of the hard working american family's that have stuck it out through thick and thin. I hope she pours her heart and soul into this show and it becomes successful. As most hard working farm and ranch people we contribute alot to society. I just got a Thank You letter from our town for all the contributions I have made to the homeless this past year. Good Luck to you Ree!!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  05:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Michele, did you catch her on Bobby Flay's throwdown, "Thanksgiving" episode? He challenged Ree to a full course thanksgiving dinner (she won) and she was very stiff, very nervous--unlike the lady we read in print. I think, with time, it will get better, but she never set out to be a film star :)

Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  4:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I did see that (although I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it). I imagine she will get better as she has a little more time in front of the camera. On the other hand, I loved Rachael Ray years ago when she first started on Food Network, now, meh. She always seems a little frazzled and overworked these days. She used to be so darn cute (of course folks might say that about me too, maybe it's just she's getting older ;)).
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  5:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I think she did set out to be a film star. She took photo classes from a pro, she married into a very smart, money drenched family. More power to her-she's very "in"-I mean, she's got handlers that make her very relatable. I've been jaded, unfortunately, after meeting her. It was such a letdown. I was expecting someone fun, bright, and smiling-that's not at all what I got. But more power to her for capitalizing on a market share!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
That's too bad about her being that way in person. I emailed her back in July because I was driving through her area and thought it would be so incredible to cook with her...but no answer. Maybe it's best...I guess it's better to just watch from the outside in awe sometimes. Oh, well!

I enjoyed the show...I watched a live online. (no tv) I love her...from a distance, I guess! :)

I do think there's a conspiracy, though...I still haven't won anything on her give-aways. And I am dying for that orange mixer!!! :)

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

My blog: www.crazykcreates.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  05:38:11 AM  Show Profile
I met her at a book signing and she seemed very nice, regular, Megan. Where did you meet her that you would afford such insight?

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  06:28:19 AM  Show Profile
When is her next show? I didn't see the first one. Would kinda like to check it out. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  06:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda, I think it's on each Saturday at 11:30. I'm going to miss this one, too!!

Go to Top of Page

Neecerie
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Denise
Kirkland WA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Neecerie an AOL message
*disclaimer* this is going to sound picky or fussy but I really felt the need to say it *end disclaimer*

I guess it disappoints me a bit to see so much negativity about someone who -should be- included in the general bonds of our sisterhood.

I -thought- there was room at the proverbial 'farm girl' inn for all sorts of us, successful, poor, rich, country-living-, city living, happy with life, struggling with life...etc.

It should be the similarities in values that make us a force to be reckoned with, and any similarity in values should be celebrated, not critiqued for not being 'real enough, farm enough, etc.'

I guess its true that women are the worst critics of other women, because all I see when I read or see Ree is a human being who lives on a ranch and who is being herself to the best of her ability. She struggles like everyone...I am sure, with various things in her life. Just because we don't see that, doesn't mean she is some manufactured person.

To me that pretty much means she is just like us, and I for one will cut her the same slack I would give any of the Sisterhood here.

The world's only Art Deco farmgirl?

Edited by - Neecerie on Sep 03 2011 10:28:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  11:16:11 AM  Show Profile
If you are ever friends with a famous person you soon realize there are actually two separate people no matter how down to earth the "real" person is. I have a friend that calls her public persona "her". She says things like " I can't come because I have to go be her that night." She does not say that to say she is manufacturing some personality for people to know. She says that because no matter how much of herself she portrays the public will make her in their mind who they think she is. I have actually witnessed a woman approach her that thought my friend should know who she was because she has listened to my friends music for years. Worse are those that think they know HER because they have been devoted fans. They don't. They can't. Think about it. Public appearances, talk shows, and publishing really tell us so little about that person. I think that is why celebs get in trouble with tweets and blogs. They are so often spontaneous and there fore show us a bit of who that person is without the trainers and publicists filters.
I say let her be who ever she really is. Why do we care if she is nice or not? Does she even answer her own email? Or does she have handlers for that? Where does her life affect ours? She is only in your life if you let her in.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  2:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I agree with both of you wholeheartedly.

Donna Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile
I think that was very eloquently put, Denise. I dig her--I don't know much about her other than what I read on her blogs or in the cookbook. I know this: when I take one of her recipes to some gathering, people clammer over themselves to get it from me! I'm always happy to turn them on to her site--the more the merrier. Except when she has give aways. DARN how I want to win one of those floral Kitchenaids, but for the 150 thousand entries!!!!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Jonni is pioneer woman on every saturday? I still have not seen and and would like to for sure.

We are all different and I thank God for that.....otherwise it would be such a boring world to live in.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  10:31:27 AM  Show Profile
She is on at 11:30 (or 11:00??) on the Foodnetwork Channell, Linda--yep, every Saturday. I've YET to catch it I've been going ten different places. And yes, thank goodness for differences!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pioneer Woman Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page