Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 new bumper stickers...and police officers??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic new bumper stickers...and police officers?? Next Topic
Page: of 3

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Okay, I happen to think this whole thing is pretty funny :-) When my Farmgirl book first arrived last year and with it the "Wave if you're a farmgirl" MaryJane bumper-sticker, the first thing my husband commented on (jokingly) was whether or not I was now going to be smoking up. And being the innocent one, I was bewildered until he explained the pot reference. Ah well, it's all a matter of perspective I suppose. :-D
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:43:08 PM  Show Profile
OK this is so funny!

Now, if the bumper sticker said Mary Jane Farm I could see his point - but there is obviously an apostrophe in Mary Jane's Farm, indicating posession, indicating a person, not a plant, omg!!!!

I can't get any law enforcement official at any level, anywhere, to take even an interest in pursuing a case of identity theft - yet the mere suggestion of marijuana rings their chimes! too funny....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  3:14:50 PM  Show Profile
no comment
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile
OK, I see now I missed pages 2 & 3 & 4, sorry if I offended, I guess I got into the discussion late. Always in a hurry, gets you in trouble!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  3:51:30 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to comment on the highway patrolmen who hang out waiting to catch speeders:

Usually in our state, when they wait along the major interstates for speeders that is how they catch the majority of drug trafficers. Usually they bust them for speeding and then find out (however they find out) that they are transporting illegal substances. They catch a lot of them that way, at least around here.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  4:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Lynda- I love Mary Janes (the candy). It's my favorite Halloween treat!!
As far as the bumpersticker/policeman fiasco- I'm with Nancy Jo.
My Certified Farmgirl sticker is there for all to see on the back of my van. Let them interpret it as they may.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  05:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
The whole thing is rather silly. I don't have a bumber sticker, but I am sure in my little town it would get noticed by the local police. As long as you follow the rules of the road and have nothing to hide, I wouldn't worry to much about getting pulled over. I know around here it wouldn't take but once, for the local police to get the idea, and I wouldn't be hassled any more. As far as the police, yes some are about out there. Nothing against your husband Diane. But I have had to some good encounters with law enforcement, as well as ones that left a sour taste in my mouth. Just the other day, I was driving DH truck. I went the local grocery, and was headed to pick up gas for the lawn mower. I had a local cruiser behind me, so I was being extra careful, watching speedometer and stuff. I was shocked when his lites lit up, and pulled over stunned wondering what in the world I had done. I have to tell you that it was just myself and my 8 yr.old daughter in the truck, and you could plainly see who we where. The officer remained in his car for several minutes, obviouse to me, he was running our plates. When he did finally approach the car, he stood a good 5ft behind the driver window. I actually had to turn around in my seat to speek to him. It turned out this was all about a front liscense plate. DH, for some reason doesn't like them, and hadn't put it on since he purchased the truck last winter. Anyway, the offcer asked for my liscense, and went back to his car, this time he obviously was running my liscense. The whole incident was embarrassing. We where sitting on the main road through town visible to everyone. The way that he ran the plates, liscense, and approached the car, made me feel like a criminal. We only have 3 officers in our town. The truck has been through town on hundreds of occasions. I am active in the communtiy and known by many, (the mayor, the cheif of police, several city council members, and school board members). I realize that the officer was just doing his job, and keeping his safety in mind. The whole way he handled it made me feel like I had done something terribly wrong.

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  06:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca, that's also the way they catch illegals.

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that each branch of law enforcement has a certain area that they cover. For example, here it is the responsibility of DPS to cover the interstate and major highways, they also do backup for the city police and the county sheriff's office. The city police cover the city and the sheriff's office covers the rest of the county, primarily outside the city limits, unless requested for backup.
Therefore, when you see cops sitting on the interstate or major highways its because that's their jurisdiction which is why they're not patrolling your neighborhoods.
As for taking this personally, maybe, but I'd feel the same way if the discussion was about our military. Both are fighting a war and both create widows way too early, things I deal with on a daily basis so yes I'm passionate about it.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope

Edited by - Destiny~ on Jul 27 2006 06:46:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  07:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
I bet he wouldn't have done that if it had been your husband driving. My mom had a similar incident with the car. My dad hadn't gotten the inspection sticker updated, but he drove it a hundred times down the same street. Nothing. My mom drives it once and she gets the ticket.

Methinks the policeman was intimidated by my dad (he's 6'1" with dark hair and scary looking eyebrows). So he waits for my poor mom to write a ticket.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I hate to say this but I'm not feeling a lot of comradery lately and I'm also amazed that the assumptions that people are making about the people who put their lives on the line every day to preserve our safety.

The missing plate, the over due inspection sticker happened because you are women? I hate to say this but police officers have 1000's of details to remember on a daily basis. I bet just like in any job, that these folks get memos reminding them of things, like inspection stickers and alerts telling them of a dangerous crimanal who is known for stealing license plates is suspected of a robbery 3 counties away. So maybe they have been letting the inspection sticker or the missing plate slide because they have so much on their plates. But now it's top on the pile of things they are looking for.

Just in the last year in or near my small city we have had two young men killed in the line of duty. One of them just stopped to help a motorist. One of them was a policeman in a tiny little village where the biggest crime was probably DUI but a gang of criminals hit a jewelry store in a mall and he was shot down while he was pursuit of these crimanals. His wife was expecting their first child.

And nope, no one in my family has ever been in law enforcement. So I don't know what their lives are really like but I know I couldn't do it. I think these people deserve our respect, not assumptions that they are scared of someone or that they like to pick on women or that they are crazy or funny for asking questions during a traffic stop.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  09:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to Kathigen big (((((((((hugs and kisses))))))))) i agree with you I think you already know that though

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 27 2006 09:45:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Kathigene, thanks for saying what I was thinking while I read this thread. As I said in my earlier post, let's give this man the benefit of the doubt, just like we hope others extend us when we're doing our jobs and they think we've goofed up. Maybe we have -- we all do -- but we're only human. Nobody was hurt in this situation, we don't know all the details by any means, and the jumping-on of this police officer really surprised me. Anyway, thanks for speaking up.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  10:24:02 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in the 60's and 70's and was not "pure as the driven snow" either. However, I've not heard the term MaryJane used since we saw an anti-drug film at school that was made in the 50's!! That thought never crossed my mind when I found this site, saw the book, or put my bumper sticker on my car.

Amen to everything that Susan said!!!

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jul 27 2006 10:36:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  05:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Exactly, I didn't know what lead the officer to pull me over that afternoon. But, I was breaking a law, and he ran the plates, liscense, and approached the car the way he did simply because that is what he is trained to do, for his safety and others. I tried not to let the whole situation bother me over much. I could have brought up the whole thing with other officials in town and created a whole stink, but I was trying to be understanding. I had never meet this particular officer and he obviously didn't know me. But knowing he was just doing what he was trained to do, doesn't stop me from feeling embarrased and slightly offended. It is like the cartoons with a devil on one shoulder going "what did he think we were some hardened criminal" and and angel on the other saying "now be patient it is just his job, no real harm done."

Just like any other job sector there are good ones and bad ones. Like the schools, there are some really great teachers out there, we have had a few ourselves. But there are also some ones that just need to quit teaching (we have had some of those too. It is that way with everything, doctors, nurses, lawyers, mechanics, and so on and so on. I do think officers deserve a lot of respect. The idiots they deal with, the dangerous situations that they have to get in the middle of. My hat is have to them, and i thank them.

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  08:26:40 AM  Show Profile
I sometimes wonder about the stories that the people my husband pulls over must tell.

The other day he had a car pulled over and was issuing the driver a ticket for speeding when my hubby's phone started barking. So he told the surprised motorist that his dog was calling and then proceeded to show him the picture of our poodle puppy that was on his phone.

That one still makes me smile when I think of it. Can you imagine what that driver must think about law enforcement?

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  08:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Dar-

Your husband sounds like a really funny officer! I would think, if I were getting pulled over for something, I would want to be pulled over by a funny officer. It would make an embarassing situation easier!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  09:04:55 AM  Show Profile
I am one of the younger ones in the group, and I am pretty sure I have heard every slang there is for it.. I have the lyrics of "hits from the bong" by Cypruss Hill forever ingrained in my brain from all the radio play it got when I was growing up.. and it pretty much explains how to grow it how to use it, and to be sure not to spill the water while you are at it. The favorite hang out for the kids I grew up with was at the local "water pipe store"

Most of my friends in high school all partook.. a lot...so it wasn't any big deal to know about.. and to be honest I think the world would be a nicer place if people, when deciding to mess with something illegal would just stuck with that instead of getting into this whole meth mess thats out there now.. that meth distroyed the lives of some of my best friends!... anyway, when I used to read MJ's article in the paper, that's the 1st thing that came into my mind.. keep in mind I was a college kid who got the giggles at the mere mention of the contraband. By the time I had found her site I had grown up enough to not make a fuss over something that was after all just a name.

I have to admit though, that on the way to farm fair my husband had a few jokes about what we would be doing there.

Anyone can tell just by looking at the site that it is a totally wholesome place to be.

As far as the bumper sticker itself goes, I think it's a little goofy that she got questioned on that when there are people running around with actual pot leaves all over their car. I still have to wash off my bumper to make sure it will stick, but I will have mine on there soon.

This is sort of unrelated, but I've heard somewhere that cars with bumper stickers tend to get pulled over more because they create a nice surface for the speed guns to target.. dunno how much truth there is to that, but thats what I've heard.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  09:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Kim, he knows its embarrasing to most people and will usually just give them warnings, especially if its only a little over the speed limit and things like that. But if they're being difficult then he will ticket them or if the infraction is so bad he has no choice.
Like the lady who drove home 30 miles from the next city in first gear because she was too drunk to notice. Needless to say, she got more then a ticket.
A while back he was at a scene where a woman who was drunk rammed a deputies car, that was parked next to him, and the deputy was walking in front of the car with another on the far side of it. Both were hit by the car that she hit. And on the video you can hear her trying to start her car-the car was totalled but she was too drunk to realize it. The drunks he will arrest.

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  09:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Ladies,
I'm from the midwest , grew up in the 70s, AODA trained and work with troubled teens, needless to say I have heard all the slangs for drugs some are words or times (4:20) you and I might uses everyday and never think twice about them referencing drugs. I was blown away when I found out the we could not show the Scoobby Do movie because of all the references to drugs. Did you know that the phrase "Scooby treats" references drugs? The fact that Scooby and his freind were always eating refrences the munches that you get when you do drugs. What a crazy world we live in. I'm not sure who has all this time to think up this crazy stuff and give it altenative meaning. Wish I had all their time. Off to the garden and then back to work.
The only drugs I need is dirt, fresh air and plants to get me high!

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  09:55:10 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo-
I grew up watching the Scooby Doo cartoon, and now Husband and I laught because of all the drug references in it. When you're a kid, you have no idea, and obviously watching the cartoon didn't damage me!
:)Kim
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  10:29:21 AM  Show Profile
I hadn't heard the one about Scooby Do, I'll have to ask hubby if he has.

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  11:21:10 AM  Show Profile
Scooby Doo has drug references all throughout it!! Scooby DOOBY doo?? As a little kid I had no idea either, but yeah as an adult they are pretty easy to spot!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic new bumper stickers...and police officers?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page