Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  12:19:06 AM  Show Profile
I have to have knee surgery on the 10th of Aug.
Guess I walked to much in Italy
I have a torn Meniscus(sp), bakers cyst, and arthritis,
Anyone else ever have this surg. I guess its common, but I still dont like the idea!
PS. I only want to hear the good stuff BG lol
shirley

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  12:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Ok..here's some I hope! My husband had a torn meniscus and it was repaired with arthroscopic day surgery. I rented crutches and a wheelchair to take him from the hospital. When I went to pick him up four hours post op, he got up off the stretcher and walked out to the truck. I couldn't believe it and he's never had a problem since.
Here's hoping you have a similar experience Shirley...I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.
Di
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:38:52 AM  Show Profile
My husband also had this surgery on the 5th of July, also day surgery, also a significant tear in his medial miniscus and some arthritis. The doctor trimmed away the torn portions of the cartilage and smoothed out the roughening from the arthritis to the best of his ability. My husband felt really good right after and overdid it. The next two days were pretty painful, but then on the morning of the third day his knee was measureably better and continued to improve rapidly after that. He only used a cane for stability. Take whatever medicine your surgeon gives you for pain and stay ahead of the pain and let the amount of your pain tell you how much you can do. It should be a cakewalk. Good luck.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  5:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info ,Mary and Diane, that makes me feel better.
Im just a big chicken when it come to surgery and needles. I worked in a Hosp pharmacy for 21 years, you would think it won't bother me so much lol
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  8:43:11 PM  Show Profile
You'll be fine Shirley. I had knee surgery in '99 and am walking fine today. Mine was actually a sheep accident (around here that got a lot of play in the dr. office and the emergency room). I was working my border collie and stepped in to back him off a ewe and she zigged when I zagged and I ended up on the ground. Pushed my femer into the top of my tibia. I also had torn miniscus. They did they whole surgery in/out same day. I was on crutches 9 weeks but that was because of the broken bone. They did the miniscual tear arthroscopicly. I know your fear as I am a veterinary tech. and had never had surgery(you kind of know everything that could happen) but everything went just fine. You'll be in my prayers.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  11:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  8:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, I have not has the surgery you are describing, but I have had both of my knees replaced. Believe me, it is worth having any repairs done. The second replacement was 3 years ago and I, too, am walking fine. The secret for replacement is the physical therapy. I don't know how much will be required of you for this type of surgery, but do it and you will be good as new or BETTER. !
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Knee surgery yikes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page