Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 new bumper stickers...and police officers??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic new bumper stickers...and police officers?? Next Topic
Page: of 3

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I joyful recieved my new bumper stickers the same week that my only club memeber was visiting from Florida. The fact that the only other memember of this NY farm girl chapter lives in Florida is another post all together. So I give my friend her new bumper sticker, and we are both delighted to know that she is driving of to her next destination proclaming to the world that she is a certified farm girl. Unfortunaltey on her way to PA., she gets pulled over by a NY state trooper. He asks for her liscense and reigstration and then inquires as to what the certified farm girl bumper sticker means. She explained to him she grew up on a farm and what it meant to be a farm girl at heart. She went on further to explain about the web forum and how you could get questions answered or find farm girl friend (or boy). He than went back to his patrol car and processed her ticket for speeding. When he came back to the car he asked questions again in regards to the bumper sticker and if she knew what mary jane was slang for. She responded "no" and he then proceded to tell her that Mary Jane was slang for marjaunna and that they thought she was a grower of marjaunna (a certified farmer none the less), which is part of the reson that thay pulled her over.....Needless to say she is no longer as delighted with her farm girl bumper sticker. I hope that trooper goes home and checks out the web forum......I hope his assumptions and then seeing what is really at maryjanesfarm.org makes him chuckle I know I got a chuckle out of this!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  01:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Oh, for Pete's sake.I am so sorry that happened to your friend.
That trooper was just being an ass.My husband is a Deputy Sheriff and he would never be that ridiculous.Give me a break. No cop that has any sense is going to think a bumper sticker with an apron on it is advertising growing dope.
I guess one has to remember that there are not-so-nice people in every profession.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile
I have to chuckle, that is pretty lame on the officer's part. You are right, there is no marijuanna leaf showing on the bumper sticker or a doobie - just an apron. Silly policeman. I think that was a bit of a stretch on his part.

Anne

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile
I received the new bumper stickers yesterday and haven't put one on my car yet, but have a question.

In all fairness to the highway patrolman, I've only looked at the bumper sticker when it's in my hand. It's obvious the object is an apron. But what about from a distance? Is it clear from a distance that it's an apron? I'm going to wash my car this afternoon, and I'll put the bumper sticker on then, so I can't wait to walk down our "driveway" a bit and see if the apron looks like something else from a distance, as it would be if you were in another car on the highway.

I'm not trying to argue here (absolutely not), but I'm trying to give this officer the benefit of the doubt.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  07:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Im sorry but that is so damn dumb!!!!! Her bumper stickers have NOTHING on them that would even give a small hint of marjaunna. And who in their right mind would put a bumper sticker on their car advertising it?? Small minds for small people. Im sorry for her she had to go through that.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  07:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I grew up in california and when I got the new bumper sticker I actually have to admit the first thing that went through my head was if I put this on my car and visit my family I am going to get a stern leacture (sp) as I instantly thought of the other meaning the one the officer did. I know it means something else but for alot of people a mary jane is a joint. that is why there are groups called "the mary jane girls" ( from the 80's) who were from gangs originally then turned musician. So don't pick on him to bad even though I know it is someones real name and has nothing to do with smoking a "mj" ( slang term for it). I still knew the other meaning. ( p.s. I don't do drugs never did and never will just grew around a lot of people who did so I know the terms)

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 08:17:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  08:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I can see something like that happening. I know that the troopers especially since 9-11 are looking at everything not just who is speeding. I think it's a bit of a stretch but she was speeding and maybe he was as much curious as anything else. Now if he had pulled her over just because of the bumper sticker it would have been something else altogether. Personally I'd rather have those guys out there looking at and questioning everything rather then missing someone driving down the NYS thruway with a bomb in the trunk.

Kathy a New Yorker probably for life!

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:20:41 AM  Show Profile
That is absolutely ridiculous!!! The cop was just being a jerk -- like if I'm a marijuana grower I'm going to advertise it all over town? My bumper sticker is proudly placed on the back window of my van. If a cop can't tell that's an apron on there then he (or she) must be blind.

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Actually they usually do advertise it they use or sell marajuana such as shirts, or have it stamped on their wallets, dangle roch clips from the rear view mirror, key rings with a marajuana leaf. I know it sounds stupid but they do it just like taking drugs is stupid and they do that as well. So he was right in thinking what he thought because police are taught to look for these things would you rather he ignored all this type of stuff and if she was speeding then he had cause to pull her over and investigate the other thing as well. It wasn't the apron that caught his eye it was the words certifed farmgirl and mary jane. mary jane is long for mj which is the innitiats of mary jane from spiderman thus mary jane = Mary Juanna ( I know that is not how it is spelled but that is how it came about the nickname mj=mary jane)
Certified has lots of meanings it ccan mean Ia high quality drug or it can mean that you get subsadized by the goverment and you grow mj on the side. Do you want your tax dollars founding mj growth.

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 10:34:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:36:23 AM  Show Profile
stupid stupid stupid. I don't know whether the officer was just stupid or was being all about himself, but it is still a stupid thing for me to have to worry about if I stick that bumper sticker on my car. I would question if she hadn't been speeding, he would have had any legal reason to pull her over, especially for what's on a bumper sticker. Sure, Mary Jane is a way of saying marijuana, but really- it's also many women's names. It's just stupid to assume that it always means pot. And I still haven't figured out how it connects to Spiderman- his girlfriend's name is Mary Jane, but as far as I remember she wasn't associated with pot. ???
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  11:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
no she is not associated with pot but her nick name is mj and marrijuanas nick name is mj so you put the two together and you get a nick name for marijuanna of mary jane. It really has nothing to do with the character in the comic stip just her innitales (sp)

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 11:05:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  11:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
He didn't give her a ticket for trafficing drugs, just speeding he was just curious about the other thing. People this is a simple concept he saw a possible connection and followed up on it end of story. And now everyone thinks this police man is stupid. He is smart for seeing a connection that no one else saw sometimes that possiblility of something wrong means there might be something wrong. In this case he just asked questions no arrest and no other problems other than people not understanding his insite to a possible problem. Think if you are a police officer and you have been taugh Mary jane is marijuanna and you come up to a car that has those wordss on it you don't know the driver or what they might do ( guns and the like) best to air on caution and suspision and save your life than be ignorant and get shot with out knowing why or being prepared for it. I don't know about other places but in california a drug dealer will advertise on his car in ways like this to look like something innocent,that is not innocent. And police men get shot all the time with out knowing why or being prepared for it in just a normal traffic stop. Just because some of the world is nice and innocent does not mean all of it is. ( my brother was a drug dealer he isn't any more you don't know what you are talking about I do the police man was right to be worried and ask questions)

I think rose bud had the right idea she got a chuckle out of it and hopes he does both are now more educated, he on mjf and the driver on the other meaning of mary jane. An education in learning something that has multipule meanings is not a bad thing, he just gave her and FYI.

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 11:18:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  12:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,
Just as a referenceto this unbelievable situation:
I have herbalist friends living in NY state. They had a bumper sticker on their vehicle re:'protecting our native goldenseal' (which is on the endangered list due to overharvest). They also got pulled over!! Goldenseal is apparently used to 'mask' marijuana in urine tests (doesn't work however) but it is such a wide spread belief that they now screen for goldenseal in the analysis!!! If goldenseal is found to be positive it is almost as good as a postive for marijuana and more detailed tests are then ordered. This officer was sure they were promoting the use of 'the goldenseal mask' by sporting this bumper sticker. Incredible but true!!

BEB

www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  12:55:21 PM  Show Profile
That officer must of been bored!! Hey Susan, good to see you post again, have missed you!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  1:25:31 PM  Show Profile
I guess it would depend on the officer's attitude how I would react to his assumption or question that MaryJane's Farm had something to do with pot. If he was snarky I would probably be ticked off that he even asked, which he really would have no reason to. People don't get pulled over for having a marijuana leaf hanging from their rearview mirror, and whatever is on their bumper sticker should be treated the same way. Granted, she was speeding, which gives the officer a reason to question her about whatever, since he has her there anyaway. However, to assume that maryjane, Mary Jane, mj, pot and Spiderman, of all things, can unquestionably be logically connected is a stretch.

And I completely understand an officer being worried about his safety during a traffic stop, but still I have a hard time only seeing the world through the eyes of a drug dealer. The world isn't always a nice place, but everything that is in the illegal bad part of it can't be automatically transferred to the rest of it.

Sunshine, please don't assume you are the only one who knows about the shady underworld and its dealings. You have no idea what I know, or anyone else for that matter, and its not fair to think that you can give expert advice on it.

Thanks-
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  1:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Babe!!! good to see ya here.
I agree..must have been a slow day for that officer to even have time to think of that connection. Oh well. Alls well that ends well.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  1:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
that is not what I was saying and that is how mj got its nick name it is not an assumption by the way that is how it got its nickname (who said there is logic in nicknames)(this is off subject). In california you can be pulled over for having anything hanging from your rear view mirror!!!!!!!! It is a gainst the law to have anything hanging from the rear view mirror as it ubstucts the drivers view (off subject again). I don't see the world through the eyes of a drug dealer ( I am not one) But a police man deals with them everyday so he has to be aware of that. I was giving the officers point of view which almost everyone seems to be ignoring. I didn't say all the world was bad infact I stated the opposite "Just because some of the world is nice and innocent does not mean all of it is". which means I believe their are innocent people in the world and that you can't assume everyone is or there would be no crime and no use for police (off subject again).
I would never assume that I know all about the "underderworld" I didn't live in it family members did and friends did. As far as expert advice I nevr said I was an expect I always stated my points of view where from a person who grew up in california not NC where you are from. It is just everyone is attacking the police man and we wonder why our children these days have no respect for the police because the adults don't that is why!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone please if look at it from his side of the board and not a victims point of view, of woo is me he gave me a ticket he must be bored or having a bad day. Hey maybe he is just doing his job and people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions in the world and blame them on someone else. I am responsible for every ticket I ever got or will get it is not the policemans fault I was speeding it is not his fault that he has been taught certain things that are possibly worrysome or objectionable. He is doing his job and we should be greatful he is. I have seen about 6 differnt posts on differnt parts of this sight that just attack police officers for doing their jobs. )it is not the sights fault mind you) please give them a break their job is hard enough with out being attacked by the adverage citizen. They need support not attacks of their character. He didn't beat her or any thing bad it was just questions. How do questions hurt a person?

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 1:56:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  2:09:08 PM  Show Profile
I understand that you are giving your point of view as someone who lived in California. But how it is there isn't how it is everywhere. You can't get pulled over here (or in SC, I grew up there, or Tennessee, I lived there too) for having something on your mirror, or for a bumper sticker. The officer has to have a reason to pull you over. Now, with this lady, the reason was obviously that she was speeding. Everyone has acknowledged that.

I still don't understand how you think the spiderman character is connected to pot, other than the initials. My supervisor in college was named Mary Jane, she went by MJ, but she's not the reason pot is called Mary Jane, or shortened to MJ.

Your statement that "Just because some of the world is nice and innocent does not mean all of it is"- says, to me, that some of the world is nice and innocent, but not most of it, that people aren't to be trusted or believed or even that they are assumed to be innocent before they have fingers pointed at them.

None of us, me or you or anyone else, knows the policeman's point of view. He may have been interested in the sticker. He may have been concerned. And he may have just been a jerk. For every nice policeman I've known, I've known a heady, snarky, self-inflated one. So, while you are offering what you think his point of view was, I was offering mine.

This has nothing to do with people taking responsibility for their actions. No one ever said the lady denied speeding. What everyone is saying is whether or not their would be offended at the officer's questioning or assumption that Mary Jane's Farm has to do with pot, pot dealers or pot growers.

Questions don't hurt a person any. But an officer's assumption about someone could hurt them if a case ever came to trial.

Blessings back to you-
Kim
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  2:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
the reason I believe that is because it was stated to me by the truensy officer of my school when he was discussing it one day in drivers ed class (subject under the influence while driving) he had been a police officer in LA at one point in his carrer and that is where the nick name came from ( the comic not LA). Hey it could very well be wrong but he said it was common knowledge there in LA that that is where it came from. So what if I am right or wrong on that, the point is Mary Jane and MJ are both nick names for marjuanna. not that it came from spider man anyhow

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 2:20:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  2:24:51 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I would like to live in a place where I am assumed a criminal every time I'm pulled over. I'm glad I live here, I guess. Not Mayberry, but close enough for me. :)
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  2:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I actually think most people are innocents not evil people. Not the other way around.

At the same time if you are being pulled over you have broken some law. Doesn't that mean your a criminal or that you just broke a law. I will be the first to admit that alot of laws are stupid!!

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 5:01:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  2:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
carolinagirl off subject you have alot of pretty pictures on your sight just an FYI I like the photos of the landscape

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  2:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sunshine- I appreciate that. I don't update as much as I like. I always think about things I would like to write- daily- but then life gets wild and I forget! :)
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  4:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I'm with sunshine on this. As a resident of NY state, I'm glad he asked. Mary Jane has been marijuanna since I was a pre-teen and I'm 53. When I hear the words Mary Jane I think of marijuanna first. And I haven't ever smoked any or sold any. It could have also been because he was bored or he thought she was pretty and he wanted to talk to her for a little while. Maybe he thought she didn't know and might want to remove it. Sorry but I don't think I would put it on my bumper because of the drug association.

And she was technically a criminal. Speeding limits are laws and criminals are people who break the law. Now I agree that we don't usually use the word that harshly. But the speed limits are there for a reason and they are laws and should be obeyed.

Whether people agree with what he did or not, he was within his rights and duties as a police officers. If being asked a simple question is that outrageous a thing, I guess you haven't flown or crossed the border lately.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  4:30:32 PM  Show Profile
I agree with those who think he was probably just curious and thought she might want to know that there might bes another possible interpretation of the bumper sticker...

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
thanks ladies

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic new bumper stickers...and police officers?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page