New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Africa Next Topic  

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  3:43:55 PM  Show Profile
While watching my favorite Sunday afternoon, with a glass or two of wine, movie - Out of Africa - today, I got out my book called The Making of the African Queen, or How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind, by Katharine Hepburn. I've had a life-long love affair with Africa, beginning with missionary stories I checked out of the church library as a child, and going on to a whole shelf of books set there and wonderful movies I've enjoyed - Born Free, Hatari, The Sins of Rachel Cade, etc. Just wonder if y'all enjoy stories of African adventures like I do. My dining room is in the British Colonial style and is actually my library as well, with two walls of floor to ceiling bookshelves my talented husband has built. As much as I love American, especially Texas farms, I love this land as well.

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  11:04:54 PM  Show Profile
Out of Africa is one of my favorite movies too. Have you read the book? I have it and it's just as good as the movie. The Making of the African Queen sound good.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  09:51:53 AM  Show Profile
on my 'list of things to do in this lifetime' ... a visit to africa. my honey hunk went there years ago .. and had so many adventures! (walked about on his own a lot!) things i would never, ever do! he loves his 'macho' trips every couple years .. and i too, love to travel 'internationally' .. but still love to roam the good olde U.S. of A!!!! so many places here yet to see!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

A friend of mine who works in the music/tv industry just emailed me about a BBC tv program that involves Africa. They are looking for 8 American moms between the ages of 21-50 who would like to go to Africa in early 2006 for 7 weeks. The only restriction is that they are not taking anyone who has been to Africa or who has travelled extensively on an international basis. If you are interested, email me privately by clicking on my name in the left hand column. Unfortunately, today is the deadline to apply, but I would say "If you are interested, jump right in there and apply!"

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  5:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Connie, for thinking of me, and others who might be interested in this opportunity - I certainly am! My husband is most encouraging, but truthfully, I must consider my responsibilities first and what would please the Lord. I think He would ask me - what SHOULD you do, vs. what do you WANT to do. I should be here for my family, homeschooling my last two boys, providing meals for my husband and sons, and my dear pastor whom I cook for each week as well. Another time, in other circumstances, I definitely would jump at this chance. For now, the time is not right. But it was FUN, considering the possibilities!!
Go to Top of Page

finngirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Karen
Bryant Pond Maine
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  08:26:15 AM  Show Profile
I too love things of Africa. Out of Africa has always been one of my fav movies. The lighting is incredible. Can you suggest a list of authors? I also anjoy anything about different cultures ie. Japan, China, Italy etc..I like a variety of books. Everything from historical novels, stories from the depression, mysteries to Stephen King. I'll read just about anything. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

KJD

I certainly understand why you have to "stand by" your obligations at home. I have not been able to travel for the past 7 years due to obligations at home. This is why I try to read alot about other places; I have indeed become an "armchair traveller." One day I will be able to travel again, and I plan to go abroad to many wonderful places. I am certain that you will be able to visit Africa; other opportunities will appear.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile
Karen and Connie -
I share your love of travel essays or stories about other, exciting lands. Here are a few from my shelf: Cry of the Kalahari; The Eye of the Elephant, both by Mark and Delia Owens; Elephant Walk by Robert Standish - that was made into a 50's movie w/Eliz. Taylor; the books by Joy Adamson, including Born Free - also great movies; The Sands of the Kalahari by William Mulvihill; Rachel Cade by Charles Mercer - movie is called The Sins of Rachel Cade with Angie Dickinson and Roger Moore; A Passage to India by E. M. Forster. I also love Peter Mayle who writes about Provence and a really good book called On Rue Tatin by Susan Hermann Loomis - she is a cook who runs a cooking school out of her old French farmhouse and is the author of several cookbooks that I enjoy - French Farmhouse Cookbook, Italian Farmhouse Cookbook, Farmhouse Cookbook - in these, she travels and visits people and tells their story along with recipes. Best of both worlds - travel and food!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  5:37:33 PM  Show Profile
Africaphiles, you must read Alexander McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. You'll feel like you're right there in Botswana with Precious and the crew. They're fabulous!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  1:48:44 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Patricia I have actually checked out the McCall books but have never read them. I always have a giant stack of books at home and for some reason, the McCall books end up on the bottom of the stack. I will have to take a closer look at them; everybody raves about how wonderful they are.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!!!
(Patricia, I hope that you feel better soon.)

Connie

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  2:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Connie. Sometimes I get discouraged. I'm so tired of always being ill. Once, long ago when I was suffering through a 24 year horror of a marriage and I was in and out of the hospital every couple of weeks, I asked the guides in frustration why I was going through all this and they said, "If you would be heard by those who suffer, you must speak their language." That kinda made it easier. And I've counselled a LOT of people and pets with health problems and abused women over the years. To me, ministry is just that "ministering" to one's fellow humanss, kinda like we farmgirls do here on this forum.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Africa Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page