jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  12:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Well, most of us who are farmgirls (and farmgirls at heart) like to hear the quiet of the outdoors more than anything else, but I noticed that books, needlework, camping, food, and many subjects have been added to the topics, so why not add music? What kinds of music do you farmgirls enjoy?

I like country music (the really old stuff is great and so Trisha)and classical music, and being in my fifties, I am still very attached to James Taylor.

How about everyone else?
Jeannie

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  5:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Good topic! I'm always around music whether I'm in the mood or not, since my husband's a retired music teacher. I like J.Taylor and most other folk music, esp. dulcimers. Also listen to some classical, blues, Yanni when I'm in that kind of mood. Last year I took a 40 wk.course to play blue harp, at night school, so sometimes I do that as a diversion from my other interests. Recently I got a Native American flute, and I'm trying that out now. Keep on playin', and
listenin'. Music makes the world go 'round.
Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  9:33:50 PM  Show Profile
I listen mostly to country. I love 70's music too..the music of my youth I guess..I don't like rap or punk or anything harsh. I have a hard time getting into opera type stuff, but love dulcimer and folk music. I plan to learn to play the violin (fiddle!!) some day. I have one waiting too..passed down from my grandpa. I don't know why he thought I was most likely. Here I am 45 and pretty darned "unmusical" but someday!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  06:13:37 AM  Show Profile
When I opened this topic, I tried to make it a stand alone, instead of being in the reading room, but somehow I messed that up. Sorry!
Anyway, I thought I would post a couple of CD's that I listen to over and over while I am quilting. One is called "The Music of the Great Smoky Mountains" done by Gary Remal Malkin. No vocals, all instrumental, but very nice. The second is also primarily instrumental and is called"How the West Was Lost" It is a sound track from a TV documentary with the same name, and there are two volumes. Both are good. I guess some may call these new age CD's, but they really recal times from the past in the Smokies and on the frontier.
I would love to be able to play the dulcimer, and once I tried to learn the autoharp, but was not talented in that area! But I love mountain music and folk music also; it makes me feel at home.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Hello music lovers! I'm a child of the 60's-70's, so I appreciate folk music too - James Taylor etc. I am also a SERIOUS appreciator of John Denver music. I've been listening to a local independent radio station as of late and they play a variety of music, which has expanded my horizons. It's a mix of current folk, jazz and other instrumentals. I've recently become aware of traditional flamingo guitar, which I really like. It's so upbeat and happy! I too have a collection of new age type instrumental cd's. Anything piano is relaxing for me and helps with the stress levels at work. Thanks for all the suggestions of new music to try! I'm taking notes! ~Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  07:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh John Denver...now you can't beat that!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  11:57:41 AM  Show Profile
There is a song that Trisha Yearwood sings that, ironically, expresses how I feel about John Denver's music which I have loved for a long time. It goes like this:

We were rollin through above the Rockies, we were up above the clouds,
When a station out of Jackson played that song.
And it seemed to fit the moment, and the moment seemed to freeze
When we turned the music up and sang along.

And there was a God in Heaven, and the world made perfect sense
We were young and were in love, and we were easy to convince.
We were headed straight for Eden, it was just around the bend
And though I have forgotten all about it
The song remembers when.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  11:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Perfect, Jeannie, just perfect!

Edited by - Clare on Jun 14 2004 12:00:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  5:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Very nice Jeannie!
I like folk music too. And I love Joni Mitchell best. I have been listening to a lot of Greg Brown and Iris Dement lately. And just to shake things up (I'm a belly dancer so I can't help it), I listen to a lot of Middle Eastern and World beat.

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  7:40:33 PM  Show Profile
I first learned of Greg Brown and Iris Dement while listening to Prairie Home Companion on NPR. I enjoy both and especially like Greg's baritone. Good for you Elizabeth for belly dancing! I don't think I'm coordinated enough to try it...or the hula either.. Maybe that's what I need though, I imagine it really works those abs!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile
I will definitely go looking for music by Greg Brown and Iris Dement. I have never heard of them! Do they sing together?

I listen to Kate Wolf, a 70's folk singer who is now deceased. She had a nice sound, and I like Joni Mitchell too, and still love that "Tapestry" album by Carol King. I hear Carly Simon has a new CD out of her greatest hits. Think I might look for that one, too.

Kate Wolf has one song about a young warrior Indian that I heard one day on public radio one day and I called the station to get the name of the artist! It is called Brother Warrior and is on her Weaver of Visions CD.

It is fun and makes me glad to share thoughts with all of you!

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  11:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
well, next to the farm, this is my favorite subject. i love all kinds of music but am very partial to bluegrass as in my younger days i was in a bluegrass band for 8 years. i love alison krause, and gillian welch and the cox family. also love the old albums of nancy griffin, the old dixie chicks, when they were bluegrass, not rock and of course, james taylor, so i guess i like bluegrass and folk. i dont listen to music on the radio cause its hard to hear grass roots music there. if you have never been to a bluegrass festival i highly recommend it. the ones in texas are very family oriented no drugs, no alcohol and the music is live and beautful. i dont know what they are like in other parts of the country, but around the dallas/ft.worth area it is a nice family event, with camping out and beautful music all night long. well, that was a trip down memory lane. frannie
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie, I just found this thread. We have blue grass festivals here also about 40 miles away in Port Townsend every summer. It too is a family oriented function. Love it.
I love john Denver too and have some of his cds. When I need to relax I listen to Irish folk music or Enya. Guess I grew up with Scot-Irish Mother who sang things like Danny Boy and a lot of Irish ballads around the house as well as love songs from several of the operas.
I love some opera and others I can't stand but I recently purchased an album called My Secret Passion by of all people Michael Bolton. It is very nice. I have loved the BEE GEES since I was a girl and saw one of their live concerts. I enjoy Barry manilow, Neil Diamond, Elton John, Barbar Streisand, Kenny G, Arron Neville, Linda Ronstadt. I Also love Trisha Yearwood and have seen her and others perform live in Seattle and other Country stars because that is the music my husband prefers. I have many Native flute albums by various artists and I love Native drumming. I play flute and my husband played accordian. He just got the name of a man in Port Townsend who will help him get started playing again. He has a lovely Accordian. Currently my instument of choice is my Native Drum which I play daily.
I guess there is not much music I do not like but Rapp and hip hop are on the top of the types I can't stand.
Jeannie I may still have in storage my old Joni Mitchel and Carly Simon vinyl albums. I have forgotten about those old favorites.
Any body else been to any good musical events this summer?
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  2:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Bluegrass is big here in north Florida. In case you from the West do not realize it, North Florida is often called Florida with a southern accent! Each year, on the banks of the Suwannee River, White Springs hosts a huge bluegrass festival that goes on for three days. Families camp, and people pick and sing all day and all night. It is great. It has been going on for over 25 years, as I went there when I was still single. I love bluegrass music, and have recently discovered a young group called Nickel Creek that has a nice sound.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Blues, especially the slow, sensual kind. Ooops, can I post this here? (smile) We have an annual "Blues on the Bridge" in Binghamton, NY. Starts at 1 in the afternoon and runs until 9 at night, eight bands each play a 50 minute set, with an emce in between. A bunch of us Swing dancers actually get the bridge swaying. (Tension bridge, no way there could be a problem). At dusk the whole bridge lights up in small white lights. Outside of bluesey swing tunes, I have collected old Jazz for some time and have lots of old vinyl that I dig out in the Winter time. Favorite current artist is Diana Krall, and whenever I have my fiance over for a candle-lit dinner, we always include a slow dance prior to the meal.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  3:57:51 PM  Show Profile
I love all kinds of music, but I've been into country the last couple of year. I really enjoy Nora Jones and Boney James, in the jazz/blues department. America is one of my all time favorite bands and I alos love 50's music. I was born in the 60's but my aunt always listened to 50's stuff. I got a really neat tape in Florida at the Veince Art Festival one year of a South American woman who played and electric harp. It's really neat music.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  6:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
Well, OF COURSE, I love country...was raised on it. And I adore those Blue Ridge Smokey Mountain collections too...and now y'all got me just ITCHIN' to get to the bluegrass festival a few mountain peaks away this weekend. <SIGH> And durn you, Dave...a man mentioning sensual, slow music...but, of course, you're a dancin' man, too! LOL Once I asked on a group I was in what music quilters listen to while quilting...it was kind of surprising. I adore Jimmy Buffett too, though none of you mentioned him and that just kinda naturally leads one into Caribbean folk music when the mood is right. Give me the old 70's stuff anytime...Motown, Lynard Skynard or even Jackson Browne and KC and the Sunshine Band...love it all. And I like good contemporary gospel music too...

Jeannie...that song you quoted of Trisha Yearwoods is one of my very favorites...hits me deep everytime I hear it.
-Sheila

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  10:11:49 PM  Show Profile
Ah...Jimmy Buffet...one of my favorites too. I tend to listen to 70's stuff too..mostly because of my age I am sure...Oh well. (and my kids call it oldies!!!)

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2004 :  06:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Bought an Eva Cassidy CD last night that I did not previously own. She is one of the folk singers who passed away, and now her music is making a comeback. She has a great sound, but her music is very naive in sound quality since it is all from several decades ago when the recording machanics were different. But I like her voice and her songs.

I, too, like Diana Krall, and her version of The Look of Love is the best I have heard.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2004 :  3:34:45 PM  Show Profile
What does it for me anytime...Joan Baez, "Diamonds and Rust". I dug out my old LP's from College days and put Joan on my LP player and instantly it's summer 1975 and I am 19 and broken hearted over a love gone bad... Haunting and beautiful. I also love Peter, Paul and Mary from the 60's and " If I Had a Hammer", and Puff the Magic Dragon". This really "dates " me but this music will live on.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2004 :  6:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey anybody like Helen Reddy? Puff the magic Dragon remended me of her and an album that I got for my kids when the movie "Pete's Dragon"
came out. There was a song on that album that she sang that I just loved. Can't remember it right now but it will probably come to me in the middle of the night.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2004 :  02:04:56 AM  Show Profile
I AM WOMAN, (HEAR ME ROAR!)....???? That was one Helen Reddy's statement songs.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  7:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I too love Joan Baez and all that "folksy" stuff, which was popular just before I hit high school; rock and roll, American Bandstand, etc. was on then. I didn't really like it (R & R), but guess I tried, to "fit in". I have lots of albums, Joan Baez, Gordon Lightfoot, similar artists. I still drag them out and listen.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  12:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone-- This is a subject I could talk about forever... but I won't! Dave your festival sounds great we camp outside of Wellsboro, PA and that's about a 1/2 hour from Binghamton. Did you mention the dates?
Just wanted to let you all know about a GREAT independent station
I am fortunate to get and you can too on the computer. WXPN Philadelphia, Pa 88.5 They play alot of stuff you never hear anywhere else! John Gorka, Patty Griffin, Ollabelle, Lyle Lovett (before anyone up here knew who he was). Right now they are doing the top 885 songs as selected by us and them! If anybody is familiar with the World Cafe program with David Dye... this is the station! At 7 pm great KIDS CORNER program my 11 yr old still likes!They just moved into new digs so there have been some glitches but it is well worth tuning in from time to time if you don't like your music
predetermined by a syndicate that plays the same 40 songs all day long! Tune in and enjoy!!! Off I go to soccer practice singing all the way! Bramble
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Last month, when we were staying in a log cabin in the Smokies, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law came to spend a couple of days with us. One morning -it was so cool- I scrambled eggs with peppers and tomatoes and cheese, and we had great coffee going in the pot, and we were all singing to Peter, Paul and Mary in harmony! My husband was chopping the veggies, my brother-in-law was making the biscuits, and we all could hear the stream roaring down the mountain.

Life is good. Music makes it spectacular.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  5:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Aaaaaah! Music, sometimes I think it makes the world go round!
I remember when I was a little girl, couldn't have been more-n 3 or 4 my parents had a record player that had doors on the front. They would open it up, pull out the phonograph and put on a 78 record. Sometimes opera sometimes swing sometimes songs like "Song of India" My favorite place to be in the whole world when that phonograph was playing was inside the bottom part of the cabinet with the doors pulled shut as far as I could get them. I still remember that I felt like I was the music when I was in there! Up top beside the phonograph was a shelf where the records were stored and underneath was a space just big enough for me and the huge speaker.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page