1853 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  7:15:37 PM  Show Profile
well guilty i do iron my sheets and spritz them with lavender water
i love the scent and i sleep so well on them
but honesty its a labor of love and i love to iron
so i guess i'am just old fashioned ..my mom hated it
so its not a genetic thing LOL
though martha stewart and I grew up in the same town
but i think she has some else do her ironing even through she claims she does...LOL
deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  08:43:19 AM  Show Profile

This really really made me smile ear to ear.......how everyone is so diffeent---yet the same.

When I first married my husband 32 years ago---he told me to iron the sheets.......its the only time I can honestly remember turning down a request so bluntly------I said hey you and I both work 40 hours a week-----I as a nurse---you want them ironed you do it. BOLD for me.

Now, I don't mind ironing---its kind of relaxing, really. But I still don't iron the sheets.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  06:27:44 AM  Show Profile
I am like Connie, I do iron the guest room top of the sheet so it looks nice turned down and my embroidered pillowcases (farmmilkmama made them for me, she is my penpal amd they are so nice). As for my sheets, no. But I do iron all of our clothes that need ironing. No jeans, but khaki shorts and cotton tops. No knits. I have to iron all my husband's shirts as he is very, very allergic to starch. Telling them at the dry cleaners to do no starch does not help, as they still have so much residue left. We don't take anything to the cleaners. I do iron my cloth napkins, but really don't like to iron. And for some reason, I always burn my arms. I have weird scars on my arms from hitting the iron. I'm right handed but always iron from the left.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  06:44:57 AM  Show Profile
I still remember the spritzer bottle and the entire living room covered with things to iron. My mother was such a fanatic with ironing she even ironed my dad's boxer shorts, what a fun thing to learn to iron on. We did everything, especially all the embroidered things we had since all the women including myself at 8 or 9 years old embroidered. I still have some of the pillowcases and runners I had embroidered as a child, how weird it is to remember all this. I myself will iron for weddings and funerals, otherwise I throw it back in the dryer with a damp cloth and all the wrinkles just go away.

Judy
Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  07:27:45 AM  Show Profile
My mother's sprinkle bottle was just an old glass bottle with a metal cap that had holes punched in it with a nail. Nothing fancy. She was the queen of reduce, reuse, recycle, long before it became "trendy". What I don't know is how the lid didn't get rusty and drip rusty water on everything...must have been aluminum. My job was to iron the pillowcases. I still like to iron today, but don't have the time for it at all.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  07:36:24 AM  Show Profile
I always hang my sheets out - love the smell and crispness. After
flapping in the breeze for an hour or so they are pretty wrinkle-free!
But I do remember ironing for my grandmother while living with her when my father was stationed overseas. She ironed EVERYTHING from hankies and dishtowels to my uncle's t-shirts. I wish I had her old glass sprinkling bottle!

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  3:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
Ive found this great way to have my sheets end up like theve been ironed, but with out the trouble. i wash them them put them on the bed still wet an let it dry. i dont tuck the flat sheet in i just let in hang down. an i leave the cases on the pillow till there dry. they come out great.

FaRmGirL SiStEr# 3203
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~
~A Bible That is falling apart Probably belong to someone who isnt~
*Being fueled with self-determination can make us stive for great things.*

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  3:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Apparently my grandpa was so finicky that he ironed the sheets, pillowcases, his shirts, pants, including jeans - and boxer shorts! I don't iron ANYTHING unless it is absolutely necessary, and even then only sometimes.

Edited by - mickib on Aug 04 2011 3:53:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile
I usually iron my shirt and jeans when I am going somewhere. Otherwise, I am the only one seeing me, except neighbor over the fence!

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  09:18:38 AM  Show Profile
All of you always make me smile! When I'm working away on the business spreadsheets and need a break... I pop over here to relax a little while. I have LOVED all the responses about ironing sheets... and beyond!! I'm almost persuaded to iron mine!!

What a fun and unique group of women! Thanks everyone!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nope, not this farmgirl!! I just let the breeze whip the wrinkles out while they are drying outdoors.

When I was in college, I did cleaning for a single women who lived in an apartment. I cleaned for her every Saturday (easy job because how can a neat woman get her apartment dirty every week) and I ironed sheets and pillow cases for her.

I have too many other things to do!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  2:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I think Lehmans may carry the sprinkler top that fits on a soda bottle.
I let the wind get the wrinkles out of my sheets. I iron only what is necessary.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  08:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I spend a lot of time ironing fabric for making my aprons that I sell at Farmers Market.
I just use a spray bottle to "sprinkle" the fabric.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  4:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Ginny from Maine mentioned her mom having a rolling iron .... that brings back memories! My mother also had one. She worked a Montgomery Ward's for a while and sold them. It was call an Ironrite. I was teen back then.

My sheets just came out of the dryer and will go straight back on the bed. I do iron my husband's shirts since he provides us with a comfortable life by continuing to go to work each day. He could probably get away with being more casual since he is an engineer (Silicon Valley, y'know) ... but we are babes of the 40's and he just can't (and so I don't insist) slip into the more relaxed mode of dress. At least he doesn't wear suits & ties. We do blue jeans or shorts and tee shirts on the weekends though.

I am enjoying bouncing around and learning more about the Farm site. Never know what fascinating topic will be out there. Actually, the topics are made fun and fascinating by all of you who post.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  06:46:52 AM  Show Profile
I iron some things, but not sheets! I love ironing. I will put the ironing board up in the kitchen and look out the window. It's very relaxing for me. Maybe if I had to iron every day, it wouldn't be so relaxing! Now...if I could only get my husband to put up that new clothesline I bought 2 weeks ago.........

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile
What a nice topic! I iron my tablecloths, napkins and older pillowcases but not sheets. I do remember the rolled up damp clothing in the fridge waiting to be ironed. I think people had to iron them because of them being 100 percent cotton.

My daughter (before kids) ironed everything, which made me laugh. She went to visit her penpal in Australia after hightschool and she was so nervous to meet her. When she got there she called and said, "Mom she is just like me. She irons everything."

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  10:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
I have to say that this topic put a very big smile on my face. I remember my wonderful, loving grandmother ironing EVERYTHING! Sheets, pillowcases, table cloths, clothing, material before sewing..
I smiled when i read the topic and just wanted to say thanks for the warm memory it brought. I miss my grandmother. She was my creative coach in my life and taught me allll I love of being a farmgirl.
Perhaps when I am retired and have more time.. I too will iron my sheets. But for now, Just folded is good enough.

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  3:35:46 PM  Show Profile
All the responses to this topic have kept a big smile on my face too. My Nana would be delighted to know that it's brought about so much conversation. What a jewel she was! I miss her so.

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

lanikyea
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Lani
Clayton New Mexico
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:48:34 PM  Show Profile
In summer I would enjoy the simple pleasure to sleep upon freshly washed, sunNair dried, starched and crisply ironed sheets and pillow cases but never happens as I do NOT want to do the ironing bad enough to sweep the floor, mop the floor, put up the ironing board, get down the iron, fill it with distilled water that I would have to had purchased previously, sprinkle the sheets with lavendar water, and then endure the heat from ironing-----so pleasure of those ironed sheets "Haint wurth thu truble".

"If you stumble make it part of your dance"
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I am so spoiled. If I want something ironed neatly I hand it to my DH. 20 yrs in the military and he has ironing down to a science. When we first got together he did the laundry while I was at work. I came home and found my blue jeans neatly ironed with a crease down the front sharp enough to cut bread. That did it for me. I had to marry him ;)

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  06:05:30 AM  Show Profile
We were always a "no iron" household...unless we were going somewhere special, like a wedding or a funeral or something of the sort. My mom remembers having to iron sheets & pillowcases for her grandmother & we always asked "why?" since it seems kind of pointless to iron them when no one sees them. I personally like ironing, but I don't spend my day doing it & I think I've ironed my sheets once, just for the heck of it lol. I couldn't imagine having to iron everything.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  09:05:55 AM  Show Profile
I have so enjoyed reading this thread. My grandma used to iron everything and she had a sprinkler head that she used on a pop bottle. The clothes were placed in the fridge so they did not sour, since houses did not have air conditioning back then.

When I was first married I ironed alot and then through my kids growig up they went to a christain school and wore dress shirts and pants to school so more ironing. And the hubs worked a job where a suit and tie was his daily outfit. So lots of ironing took place in my house.

I rememeber teaching my sons to iron and they took to it pretty well. When the oldest joined the USAF he called home and said he was the only one that past inspection on the first roll call!! I was proud and so was he.

Thanks for the memories!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  5:52:14 PM  Show Profile
I remember ironing the sheets every week on laundry day, they were next to the easiest after pillowcases. The tee shirts I hated, it seemed to take hours just to do one. I remember mom rejoicing when permanent press sheets hit the market.
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  2:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Oh my, you have awakened long sleeping memories with all this ironing talk.

Like many of you, my grandmother had that same bottle and sprinkle head and I ironed everything in sight. I started married life that way, sooo many years ago, and yes, I confess I ironed the sheets, pillowcases, everything. After all the work I went through to embroider the pillow cases and crochet the lace trim they had to be ironed perfectly. When my babies came along, with cloth diapers and little cotton tee shirts and dresses I did those too (not the diapers). Back then I was so excited when permanent press everything became available. Now I miss those cotton sheets.

These days I iron only when it is absolutely necessary, like what I want to wear is wrinkled, or the tablecloths and napkins (hate a messy looking table).

On the other hand, Nick irons every single morning before going to work! He irons his shirt and presses his slacks. When he wears a tie he irons that too.

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile
We switched chores weekly as kids and on the weeks that I had to iron I would do it on Saturday morning (all of our chores were done then) and watch American Bandstand while I was doing it. We couldn't leave the house until all our chores were done. My BFF's would come over and watch it with me since I couldn't leave the house. My Mother still irons my step-Dad's blue jeans because at 92 he still likes it done! She also irons his shirts so his bolo ties stand out. I do iron tablecloths for the diningroom if it's a holiday or special occasion but even that is hard to do!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Ironing Sheets Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page