Clee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cindy
Hampton VA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Haha! I don't iron sheets, but once upon a time, when we were home-schooling, (living on single income), and Christmas was upcoming, a lady in my church hired me to do her ironing. I was shocked when she handed me a laundry basket full of her husband's undershirts! (And yes, I did iron them!)

You can take the girl from the farm, but never the farm from the girl.
Go to Top of Page

Clee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cindy
Hampton VA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  11:59:41 PM  Show Profile
I remembered something else!..The sheets and Daddy's shirts damp and rolled up in bags placed in a small refrigerator on the back porch. My mom or her helper would iron them. (8 kids...she needed all the help she could get!) When I got older, Mom taught me how to iron shirts that way...Came in handy later with all the creases needed in my husband's military uniforms! Anyway, the FONDEST memory I have of that sort of thing is of Mom's helper ironing sheets when I came in from school as a child. She was ALWAYS happy and cheerful. Her name was 'Duke'. She would be ironing away with the radio playing upbeat gospel music at her elbow. What a WONDERFUL memory. I don't know where Duke is today, probably passed on as both my parents are...but her cheerful disposition warmed my heart often. It wasn't until I was older that I realized the home she lived in, in our small town. She had nothing of possessions, that was clear, but what she did have was love, and plenty of it. We were blessed to have her presence in our home.

You can take the girl from the farm, but never the farm from the girl.
http://www.thenourishednana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  5:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Such fun to come back and read these stories.

Cindy, I just love what you wrote about Duke. What a special, special memory!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl66092
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Tracey
Wellsville Kansas
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  10:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Cowgirl66092 a Yahoo! Message
sorry gals...I am a "ironer"!
Dont iron sheets but do my hankies, table cloths, napkins. I have even been known to boil my wranglers on the stove in liquid starch...love the sound of peeling apart a sleeve or leg in order to get you limbs into it. Yes I have the white stripe on all my extra heavy starched jeans

Cowgirl66092 - Farmgirl 3578
Go to Top of Page

Ayn
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Ayn
Ringgold Louisiana
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  04:27:34 AM  Show Profile
Anybody know where you can still get cotton sheets like our grandmothers use to know use? I have some twin and double sized ones, but I'd love to have some queen sized ones. You just can't beat the feel ( and smell when line dried) of those cotton sheets! I don't currently iron sheets, but I used to when I used those old cotton sheets. They were great. Today's sheets just don't compare.
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  04:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Ayn - I'm fairly certain that you can get cotton sheets at MJF.

Cindy - I also loved what you wrote about Duke. She must have been an amazing woman - so glad you have that memory. I remember my mom and grandmother ironing - and I was sooooo excited when I was old enough to iron the hankies and pillow cases.

And yes, I'm still an ironer too. I don't iron my sheets or jeans, but yes to hankies, napkins, table cloths, and shirts - and sometimes pillow cases. My DH is a ironer too (my MIL taught him well) - but he only does his shirts.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  04:57:09 AM  Show Profile
Reading through these made me smile - as many of you also mentioned. And while I'm not a big Facebook fan, I wish there was a "Like" button.

Thanks for the memories...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  07:12:16 AM  Show Profile
About the only things I iron are my husband's dress shirts. I remember visiting my grandma when I was young and climbing into a bed with ironed sheets. Oh, they felt like heaven!

In my parents house, my dad does all the ironing. He helped to pay his way through the seminary by ironing all the shirts for his dorm floor and some others. When he and Mom married, he would try to tell her how he wanted his shirts ironed and finally she just gave up. To this day, he will let his dress shirts pile up a bit, take the entire pile to the tv room and watch football while he irons.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Ironing Sheets Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page