Page: of 3

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  4:29:15 PM  Show Profile
Well Farmgirls... I certainly don't iron mine. Hee hee!

Just had fun writing about it on my blog... after I put some wrinkly cotton sheets on the guest bed.

http://field-days.com/not-ironing

Anyone out there who still irons their sheets?

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  9:31:11 PM  Show Profile
My MIL irons EVERY thing, I really don't see the point. Most the wrinkles fall out of the sheets with a night or two of sleep on them. lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile
OH my. I wish I had time to even consider ironing sheets! LOL

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  4:25:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Megan! When I was growing up though I would help my Mother iron our sheets. For some wierd reason she got one of those rolling irons so EVERYTHING we owned went through it, including the sheets! It was always funny to watch our jeans and shirts come out of it, lol!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  4:42:07 PM  Show Profile
My grandma, always ironed the sheets, and the pillowcases. She wanted them wrinkle free, and the cases with sharp creases. I think our new fabrics make wrinkle free a lot better than theirs, but they also hung theirs out on the line, and that helped them. And she ironed her tablecloths. Well, I like them to look nice, but not enough to iron them. Also, my mom, ironed for all the neighbors, she was a stay at home mom and she took in ironing. Some of the other ladies worked, and I remember her sprinkling bottle, large bottle with a cork with a metal top and holes in it. She would sprinkle and roll in ball and then start ironing. Seems like she got a nickel apiece. She's gone, so I cant ask her. I remember she ironed late at night or early morning or when I came in from school, and the clothes would be hanging all over the house, and she had a pole she would hang up and it would be full of clothes. Then we had to deliver them. It was fun to see all the clothes they had and to dream, one day, I would have store bought clothes, as my mom sewed all my clothes. Thanks for the memories and the subject. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  4:55:45 PM  Show Profile
My mom irons everything, sheets, pillowcases, dishtowels even my dads boxer shorts. She's 85 now and I don't think she's going to change her habits.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  5:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing how hard the women before us worked! I marvel at it, and hold them in high esteem. I have a wonderful book written by a pioneering woman in our area in New Mexico. "Six Miles to the Windmill". She writes of her daily chores... and I recall her ironing the bed linens. I need to revisit that book!

Loving the comments. Thanks everyone!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  9:05:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't iron my sheets or tablecloths nor do I have time to. My grandma used to iron and starch everything. I still have her mangle and it works but I don't use it very often. My brother and I agree that there was nothing quite so uncomfy as getting into a bed with freshly starched linens at grandma's house. Sandy is right - the older generation certainly worked hard on things that today often seem impractical. Happy memories!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  09:44:25 AM  Show Profile
iron, what iron?

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  04:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Well I don't think I ever thought of ironing our sheets ! But I do iron our cloth napkins :0
Tammyb
sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the look of ironed bedsheets, but I am not going to do it! If I get the sheets either folded while they are warm from the dryer or on the bed then they look fine! However I do sometimes iron my table clothes when I use them because I don't like a wrinkled tablecloth!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Well I have to confess I am a cheater. If we have overnight company coming I will iron the top half of the top sheet and the pillow cases. : ) It makes the turned down bed look nicer. I do iron my vintage linen table cloths and napkins for holiday dinners. It has no wrinkle resistance what so ever. I think the newer fabric blends require less ironing. Anyone remember cotton bras? My mom even ironed those. I remember her sprinkling our clothes rolling them up and putting them in the refrigerator. Not sure why the refrigerator. I'm ironing less and less these days.
I almost never take anything to the dry cleaner either. Sweeties suit coats get steamed at home and dry cleaned only if necessary. I hand wash all sweaters.
Do you guys dry clean?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I refuse to iron. It's my one *can't stand* chore. My family has no idea I own an iron. I hide it in the drawer in my sewing room. If clothes really need it, I'll sneak a press to them, with out their knowing. I always try to buy clothes that don't need it, and either line dry or pull things out of the dryer ASAP. The only reason I have an iron, is sewing.

My grandma irons Everything, she passed it on to my mama, who irons all the jeans!!! Ugh, no thank you!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:43:24 AM  Show Profile
When my daughter went to catholic school and I was pressed for time I would iron the collar and cuffs of her uniform shirts (they had to wear sweaters and these were the only parts that showed)!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Elaine, funny. That is something I would do!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  11:41:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to know I'm not alone! Connie... you reminded me.. yes.. my Nana always kept the clothes damp and in the refrigerator, rolled up in a towel.

I wear lots of blue jeans, and buy things that don't need to be ironed or taken to the cleaners!

Funny! My husband likes to iron, and always looks nice and sharp!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile
I love ironed sheets and pillow cases. I have embroidered most of my pillow cases so really want them to look nice when I make the bed. I also iron my table linens and use cloth napkins. I LOVE to iron. I turn up the air conditioning, put on the music (loud) and grab a glass of wine. Maybe I'm a little crazy but small things make me happy.

Susan

Farm girl 3070

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  2:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know why they kept them in the fridge?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  2:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I'm thrilled to hear that you take such loving care with your embroidered pillow cases. What a beautiful way to pamper yourself!!

Connie,in New Mexico it's incredibly dry. I'm sure that the refrigerator helped keep everything moist as my grandmother ironed. That's what I've always thought.

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  2:20:24 PM  Show Profile
That would work for sure. I'll bet you are right. No need to sprinkle twice!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  07:15:23 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I never thought of it as pampering, but I think you are right. It is a luxury. I think you are right about the frig thing. Once sprinkled, if you couldn't iron all at once, the frig kept them moist. At least that's what my Mom said.

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  07:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Susan- It's just an extension of providing clean towels and flowers on the bedside table. So I guess it is pampering!
I wish I could find one of those cork and metal tops for a sprinkle bottle. I'd love to use it and leave it out in the laundry room as a reminder of how easy we really have it!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  1:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Connie, My sister has an antique shop so I will look to see if I can find a top for your sprinkle bottle. You never know what you can find there.
Susan

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

SKVining
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Sandra
Beaverton Mi
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  2:10:42 PM  Show Profile
I must be one crazy lady I work part time have our 2 grandsons live with us and I love to iron!!!!!!! It is so crazy but I fine it very rewarding to see everything all lined up looking so much like little peices of art...I even iron my blue jeans with a seam down the front My sister thinks I'm nuts.... My grandmother ironed everything and I think it just stayed with me ...It is so wonderful that we are not all alike it is just like God's flower garden.....Blessing Sandra 2650
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  2:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Sandra, I to iron. In fact when my mind is just to jumbled to calm it using other methods, I pull out the iron and find sheets, tableclothes what ever I feel needs it. Usually not shirts, though cause that takes a bit of thought and the thinking process is to calm myself not get more wound up. I also love to take a sprinkle bottle, usually filled with lavender water, or lemon verbena and sprinkle the sheets the spell is heavenly. I think the reason for putting them in the fridge or in my case the freezer is if you didn't get it all done then at least they would'nt get mildewy.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  06:34:44 AM  Show Profile
My mom ironed everything...even underwear and her rags. She had the neatest rag drawer in the world. I used to iron everything. Took a long time to get over the guilt once I stopped. Now I put the sheets on the beds as soon as they cool down from the dryer. (Wish I had an outdoor line) I agree that the fridge kept the mildew away. That's what mom said and she was always right.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Ironing Sheets Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page