Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Anyone else have thius Halloween experience?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Anyone else have thius Halloween experience? Next Topic  

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  10:05:06 AM  Show Profile
I can remeber living in Mt. Carmel, Illinois in the 50's and trick or treating for a few nights.......it definitely was not a 1 nighter. I don't know the reason as I was very young then.....anybody who can shed some light on this I would smile ear to ear.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  10:57:04 AM  Show Profile
My mom is 66 and she always tells me that they went trick or treating two nights in a row every year. She says they went trick or treating on Halloween eve (the night before) and Halloween night (the day of) I didn't want to get confusing, which I thought it was after I read it, lol. She always says she had two bags full of candy and that everyone was so generous.
hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Oct 28 2011 10:58:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  11:14:53 AM  Show Profile
thanks...bet that's it---2 nights.......thanks so much.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  11:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Here the night before Halloween is scary. It's "mischief night" and the teens get in lots of trouble. They wrap houses with TP and hit mailboxes and do vandalizing. I wish there was more of the innocence of earlier generations.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Here they call the night before Halloween devils night and we have to watch everything,cause kids, and adults too, like to start fires. With all the leaves on the ground it gets dangerous.

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  2:54:18 PM  Show Profile
I love Halloween when it involves cute kids in cute costumes. Everyone who comes to the acreage in October goes home with a little treat bag. All ages seem to enjoy this. Now that we live on a country road we don't get trick-or-treaters. Can't get enough candy quickly if Mom has to drive you around out this way.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  5:23:20 PM  Show Profile
when I was a kid we had what we called cabbage night. I think it was more like the mischief night someone else spoke of. We were from a small town and when ever anything like that happened you would usually see the teen boys cleaning up their messes because inevitably they were found out and had to pay the price for their "fun"

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  08:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Dad used to tell how he and his buddies used to push over out houses. One night a farmer moved his Out house forward. When the boys ran up behind it in the dark they all fell in the exposed hole. LOL
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  10:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Thelma,
LOL! good.. it served them right! Bet that was their last push.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  4:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Denise, Dad has been gone for several years now, but his story is a family favorite. He claimed he was on the corner talking to a girl when the boys went in. We all used to question that
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  4:52:58 PM  Show Profile

In the fifties and early sixties in Philadelphia, Mischief Night was two nights before Halloween, then Soap Night the night before.

I moved to an area where each community declares Trick or Treat night, and has a Halloween Parade. Halloween is always over by the 29th. It's not a big holiday for me, but I don't think that it should be changed. We also have "Fourth of July Fireworks" on the third, raindate the fifth.
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  07:02:25 AM  Show Profile
When I and my children were little, we had what was called "Beggars night, which was on October 30. Then some surrounding towns got rid of it, when the candy and treat problems started.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  07:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Around northern Kentucky, and the Ohio River valley near Cincinnati, we always called the night before Halloween, Cabbage Night. Not exactly sure why (have to look that coloquialism up) but that was when you egged houses, rang doorbells and ran off, wrote "for sale" on cars with soap and upturned pumpkins and other things. Of course, I was never allowed out on Cabbage Night because my parents were well aware of the goings' on and did NOT approve.

What I do remember was that trick or treat went on for about 3-4 hours. There wasn't really a cut off, and I recall coming home, VERY tired, very cold and hungry and sorting out candy quite late.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  09:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Today is Halloween. Now that I live in the country it will be just another quiet night, I hope. I used to love having the kids come to the door in their cute outfits, but don't care for the frightening stuff. One night after trick or treating was over my neighbor put on a scarry mask and held a flash light under his chin and stood in front of my picture window. It scarred me so badly I ran out and beat him with my porch mat. He never did that again! Since I am not a viloent person my kids still tell about the night I tried to kill our neighbor with a rug
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  12:52:26 PM  Show Profile
I love you stories Thelma! Thanks for sharing them.

I live in an area of mostly retirees, so the only kid going door to door is my 8 year old son. He loves it though, everyone is so generous & get such a kick out of his costumes.

Happy Halloween!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  3:22:28 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, I plan to stick around awhile so will entertain you with stories for as long as I can. Oh, I just enjoy life so much!
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  4:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, last night is called Devil's night and it was rainy and cold, so I don't think there was much destruction around town. Trick or treating was 4:30-6:30 today, and we had alot of kids, but mostly big ones that are in high school. I always say that is alright, they are keeping out of trouble that way.
Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  2:00:26 PM  Show Profile
4:30 to 6:30? Gosh, so mom's and dad's have to take off work to walk their wee one's about? Trying to make the 6:00-8:00 deadline here, in Kentucky, is hard enough after tearing out of work at 5:00 on the nose, and fighting traffic (and of course, there was some terrible accident yesterday that backed up traffic on all expressways) so we were late even getting to our house! I think 4:30 is earlyish!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile
THANKS SO much all and Thelma, loved your story.Halloween got postponed til tomorrow night due to our nor'easter that we had Saturday......hope you all have fond memories of Halloween then and now.

Beverly Gill

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  08:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Now that Hallwoeen is over what new topics are you gals on?
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile
When I was growing up if Halloween fell on a week night some of the neighboring cities would move trick-or-treating night to Saturday night or Sunday afternoon (weird I know). I therefore got to go once where my grandmother lived and again on Halloween where I lived. Depending on what dates were chosen kids could do it 2 or 3 nights if they went from city to city.

This year we were one of three houses that had their lights in our neighborhood on for trick-or-treaters. It's sad that something everybody enjoyed when they were kids they would then turn around as an adult and refuse to support the holiday and let the young ones experience it. Granted, even as poor as some of us were growing up we still managed to put some type of costume together which is more then some of these kids do. We had two teenagers show up in sunglasses for their costumes (shaking head). We also had a 30-something year old guy show up with a pillowcase and no costume claiming he was getting candy for his daughter - but no kid with him.

I'm also not getting the trunk-to-trunk trick-or-treating. Seriously how fun is that?

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Anyone else have thius Halloween experience? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page