embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  6:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good rice pudding recipe?

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  7:14:21 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could say I did!
Rice pudding as most people know it is one of the saddest casualites of my eggs/ dairy allergy!
I used to like to make it with nutmeg on top and sometimes add lemon juice for flavor.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  7:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Ooh I do Elaine! I found out that my husband loves Rice Pudding (and Bread Pudding) when we first got married. I tried numerous recipes before finally finding and adapting one that he thought was awesome.

Here it is:

Rice Pudding

6 cups whole milk
1 cup regular medium-grain rice (I use Arborio rice, I find it makes the pudding creamier)
½ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Raisins (optional)

Add milk, rice, sugar, butter and salt to a 3 quart saucepan. (I use a stock pot) Over medium heat, heat milk mixture until tiny bubbles form around the edge stirring mixture frequently. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 hour or until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vanilla and raisins if using. Cover and refrigerate until well-chilled about 3 hours.
Serve into dessert dishes and sprinkle each serving with nutmeg. Serves 8.

-Mary, sorry about your allergies!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Apr 27 2011 7:40:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  8:13:53 PM  Show Profile
I have a great recipe and will post it here tomorrow. I'm Swedish and we eat rice pudding often. This is my family recipe.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  03:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you - thank you - I can feel a month of trying out different recipes coming on! LOL!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2822

Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Many years ago a friend introduced me to a Filipino version of rice pudding. It's a breakfast dish... with chocolate! When my son is a little older i'll make some for him on special occasions.

Champorado
1C sweet rice (you can find it at most Asian markets or international stores. or order it online)
2 1/2C water
1/2C cocoa powder
1/2C sugar

mix the cocoa and sugar together and set aside. Bring the rice and water to a boil and cook until it begins to thicken. Stir frequently so it doesn't burn to the pot. Add the cocoa and sugar mix to the pot and mix well. Simmer until you have your desired consistency. I prefer mine to be like a thick oatmeal.

It is usually served with a drizzle of condensed milk on top!

Enjoy!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  2:04:14 PM  Show Profile
This is from my family files. My mother's ancestors ran a little chain of bakeries in New York and New Jersey. They were from Alsace Lorraine and the pastries tended to be a blend of French and German. They made this rice pudding. The "Madeleine" I refer to is my maternal grandmother. She married into the Laugel bakery family.

Riz au Lait du Café Laugel

Ingredients

Madeleine's Note: Use organic products, as unprocessed as possible. Be sure eggs come from hens who have not been eating table scraps, or the flavor will go off. Corn feeding produces sweeter-tasting eggs, which is what you want for this recipe. Be sure also that milk comes from cows not grazing on spring onions!

4-1/2 cups whole milk

3/4 cup long grain rice white, but not processed; get the finest quality you can find; the grains must feel perfectly smooth

2-1/2 cups whipping cream

3 large chicken eggs

3/4 cup granulated sugar if possible the kind that isn't completely refined, but is still a very pale beige; this has the softest, nicest flavor—if necessary, grind with a large mortar and pestle to make the grains finer so they will dissolve more easily

2 T confectioner's sugar to sweeten the whipped cream; taste and use a bit more if you like

1 T pure vanilla extract that's TABLESPOON, not teaspoon

1/2 cup raisins or currants optional; try golden raisins at Yule

1 fresh nutmeg for grinding over the presentation just before service

To Create the Dish

1. In a 3-quart saucepan, bring 3 cups of the milk to simmer. Do not bring to a full boil! Just simmer, or you'll get a skin. If you do, skim it off right away, get rid of it, and continue. Add the rice very gradually, trickling it from your fingers, so the milk doesn't stop simmering. Stir, cover, and simmer slowly for 30-45 minutes or until the rice is tender and all the milk has been absorbed. You'll have to stir and adjust your flame often, Use a scrupulously clean wooden spoon. Remove from heat.

2. Stir in the rest of the milk, 1-1/2 cups of the cream and all of the granulated sugar. Switch from a wooden spoon to a flat-edged wooden spatula at this point, to be sure all the sugar gets lifted into the milk and mixed in.

3. In a small bowl, beat the eggs until well-blended, then stir them into the rice mixture in the saucepan. Use a balloon whisk to be sure the eggs are 100% completely blended.

4. Return the saucepan mixture to medium heat and, stirring constantly (no kidding), cook until the mixture thickens enough to heavily coat your wooden spoon/spatula. This takes about 20 minutes. It is vitally important to prevent the mixture from boiling after you add the eggs, or it will separate and you'll have to throw it out and start over, which is a sinful waste. Keep it just under a simmer and you should be fine.

5. Remove from heat, then stir in the vanilla and optional raisins or currants.

6. Empty this mixture into a bowl with lid and chill in the refrigerator until completely cold all the way through. Use a bowl large enough to accommodate both the pudding plus the whipped cream you will add later. Don't worry that the mixture looks thin. It will thicken a lot more as it cools, but will never be hard; this is a fluffy, creamy dessert. Count on at least 4 hours for complete chilling. You might want to go into the fridge and fold the mixture over now and then to speed chilling and keep it fluffy.

7. Just before serving, whip the remaining cream with the confectioner's sugar to a consistency you would use if serving beside Wellesley fudge cake or the like — not too stiff! Fold it into the pudding, letting a few strands of pure whipped cream remain to give interesting contrast and texture. Retain some of the whipped cream to use as garnish, if you feel like it.

8. Grate nutmeg over each serving, or the casserôle, if being served family-style. The nutmeg is de rigeur! It is a traditional Solstice/Yule spice with a fascinating history that's fun to discuss while enjoying this wonderfully sensual dish.

SERVING NOTE: Given the years when the Laugel bakery/tea shops were at the height of their popularity and customers could take home a big waxed carton of it, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this was sometimes served with bootlegged brandy! A nice non-alcoholic accompaniment today is hot spiced tea, sweetened with honey — unprocessed, naturellement!

Bon appétit!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  2:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Calicogirl, your recipe sounds a lot like my old family one. This must be a fairly basic recipe of long standing. I sure do love it!
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  2:23:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a sore throat and this sure sounds good to me right now! Cold, smooth with a little substance to fill me up with the rice. Gosh I am hungry. Tea and soup are not enough!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  2:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Connie, you're right! Rice pudding is the ultimate comfort food!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  3:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you - I am writing down all of these recipes. I am going to try them all. I LOVE rice pudding!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2822

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  6:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I was going to post, but Sharon's recipe is the same as mine, and she beat me to it! We eat rice pudding for breakfast occasionally, but when my oldest is sick, it is the only thing he will eat!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  7:50:03 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE rice pudding. I dont really have a recipe. We just throw stuff together and cook it. I use white rice and boil it with milk and canned milk. Add a little salt. Keep checking and add more regular milk as needed. Sweeten to taste with sugar and add a liberal amount of cinnamon and raisins towards the end of cooking. This is good hot or chilled. Its been a family favorits for generations.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  1:22:37 PM  Show Profile
I guess you didn't need to wait for me to get it together but now you can have another one to try! Here's a recipe from my great-grandmother.
1/2 C rice boiled in water with a bit of salt (we use brown rice but it's orginially for white)
4 eggs beaten slightly
3 C whole milk
1/2 C sugar
1/2teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon orange juice
1 Teaspoon vanillia (we use real vanilla)

Once the rice is cooked from boiling, mix all the ingredients and put into a cassarole dish. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 350. Let stand a while after baking (at least 15 minutes). Do not cover it while it bakes.

Traditionally we have this every Christmas Eve. In fact, my daughter grew up leaving this for the Tomte's rather than cookies for Santa. We also put one shelled plain almond in it and whoever gets the almond gets to pass out Christmas presents. Early versions of the almond say whoever gets it will marry next.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  1:26:35 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention but when we serve it, that is when we put cinnamon and nutmeg on it rather than bake it in.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  1:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Ginny, This is the way i remember rice pudding being made by my mother. More of a baked custard. I guess I'll have to make both of them!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  3:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh! This is SO awesome! Thank you SO much for asking, Elaine! AND for sharing your recipes, girls! My grandma used to make the BEST rice pudding, but sadly, nobody ever wrote down the recipe! My secret "sin" is buying a tub of the premade stuff every once in a while - just for me. It's not as good, but it's good enough! Now I have some WONDERFUL recipes to try for a good old-fashioned homemade version! Thank you for "saving" me, girls! You ROCK! Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile
When I was young, Mom made Tapioca pudding...never rice. In nurses training, that was my first taste. Most of the other girls were familiar with it, and they had their comments about what we were eating. I, like Nini purchased a tub to eat. I think I will make your recipes and have my own. I'm sure it is better than the store-boughten stuff. Thank you for being generous with your recipes. Most grandmas had wonderful recipes passed down for many generations. Thanks again!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh tapioca! I bet I could swallow that too. Just wish I felt like cooking something! Found out I have cocksackie virus complements of my granddaughter. Blisters on the back of my throat that burn! It is a shame i haven't lost my appetite cause it is impossible to eat. Whine, whine,whine. Yew, I bet that would burn!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  5:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Ladies - I feel my mouth watering just reading these recipes. Can't wait to try them!
Connie~ I hope you feel better - cocksackie is not fun at all!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2822

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Connie, I had no idea how sick you were. I hope by the time you read this, you will be on the mend. And yes, we will all celebrate with rice or tapioca pudding!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  7:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I hope you get well very soon. That sounds awful!

Ginny, it's interesting that your family had a tradition of having rice pudding on Christmas Eve. That was true for my family as well. You might have noticed a reference to Yule in my grandmother's recipe (which she got from her mother-in-law, who got it from the Old Country, I guess).

I remember discussing rice pudding recipes with a Danish friend who told me about a similar recipe and tradition in her culture. Apparently Sweden has one, also. It's really interesting, isn't it?

Oh and tapioca pudding! My goodness what memories that brings back. We used to make the "Minute Tapioca' recipe right off the box, often using the variation for "fluffy tapioca." When I make it now -- too infrequently! -- I use a lot more vanilla than the recipe calls for.

Is there some other kind of vanilla besides real? :-) I refresh my supply every year during the holidays at the gift shop that recently replaced our ancient Main Street drug store. Just as the family who ran it has done for 100 years or more, the current generation still make it themselves and sell it in glass bottles of the kind that cough medicines used to come in. It's really really good stuff. Someday I'll have to go back to my old routine of stashing a couple of split vanilla beans in the sugar jar and giving it a stir once in a while to impart a subtle vanilla flavor to the sugar. I remember my grandma (the rice pudding one) saying there was no finer perfume than a dab of vanilla behind each ear if you wanted to catch a man worth catching. I believe she was right! :-)

Edited by - Rosemary on Apr 29 2011 7:28:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  08:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for posting those recipes! A few months back, I found some Rice Pudding in a box (Uncle Ben's) which was the first Rice Pudding I've ever had (and the only) It was really really good, but I haven't been able to find it again! I'll get to fixing some today thanks to your recipes!!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  1:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Mara ~ I agree with your grandma - there is no finer perfume than a dab of vanilla behind each ear! I want to thank everone for answering my plea for rice pudding recipes - I am going to try each and every one. Any more recipes - please post them here!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2822

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  1:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Trust me, Rachel. Any of the recipes here will be at least 5 times better than the Uncle Ben's. I've had that. Like I said: trust me ;-)
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  2:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your well wishes ladies. I am mending. I am also very grateful I don't have small children to tend or a demanding husband! I've been resting and sleeping. I'm only up for potty breaks and to drink broth.
I can't wait to feel well enough to make one of these recipes! I think I may eat the whole thing all by myself!
There was a study about what smell men found most attractive. Guess what? It was vanilla! Grandma was right.
Connie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rice Pudding Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page