kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  1:59:14 PM  Show Profile
I have gotten back into walking again at least 3-4 times a week. It's so beautiful where we walk. The wildflowers are coming out. We have seen wild geranium, wild iris, flox, wild azalea, trillium lots of ferns. So many pretty things to see. And there are streams all along the walk. It's so nice and peaceful. I will take pictures when I get more batteries and post them here.

I hope everyone that was walking last fall still is. Although I am back where I started as far as weight, I feel so much better when I am walking.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 14 2011 2:00:20 PM

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  3:16:05 PM  Show Profile
I've been walking too! Couldn't last fall because of surgery on my knee, but now that it's warmer and the evenings are longer, I've been trying to walk 2-3 miles every day. I read somewhere that a person needs to walk at least three miles a day for their body to function properly. all I know is, I feel better when I walk.
cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  3:33:31 PM  Show Profile
It has been getting warmer here and this weekend i am hoping to start taking my walks on the boardwalk again. I love the smell of the ocean!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  4:12:14 PM  Show Profile

This is from last fall.

This is the one mile marker tree. You can see the pond behind it.

I'll take more pictures next week.

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  4:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I am so glad you are walking again. I don't like to walk when it's freezing cold, but don't like the really hot summer either. We walked this morning at 9 and it was perfect.

Elaine, that sounds like a great place to walk, along the ocean. I'd love to see pictures.

I would like to see pictures of where you all walk if you can.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  7:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I've started walking too. I do a mile in the evenings - between 6:00 and 7:00. I find it gets my endorphins going enough to enjoy the rest of the evening without being completely exhausted. I want to work up to two miles, but it's taking longer than I thought. I've got some great music that keeps my pace rockin' and as much as I dread it, I feel better for doing it. Maybe one of these days, I'll be able to tell it in my clothes!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  8:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Kris--love your photo of the yoga tree!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  02:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Krisitn~ Those pictures are beautiful! I'm going to try to get some pictures up this weekend!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2882

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  02:57:49 AM  Show Profile

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2882

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  03:00:02 AM  Show Profile

Ehe one above is walking on the beach. This one is a painting in Convention Hall on the boardwalk in Asbury Park. I love it!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2882

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  05:23:00 AM  Show Profile
Elaine, that painting in Convention Hall is so beautiful. I have been walking in a forest area behind my house for about 45 minutes to an hour everyday for about 2 years. I walk with my husband and dog. We even walk when it rains and the dog wears a little rain coat. The rain doesn't seem to bother her. Lately, we have seen a couple of snakes, l corn snake, 2 black racers, and l we couldn't idenify. When we lived in California we used to walk by the ocean and I loved that. Miss it sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  4:59:33 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful ocean. And that painting is amazing.

Nancy, your walk sounds beautiful. Alot like mine. I am so afraid we will come up on a snake soon. I am terrified of snakes. Any kind. It doesn't matter what they are, I panic, scream and run like a maniac. I do not like them at all. I have to pray that we don't see any. I have already seen 2 black snakes on the road. The 1st one was stretched out all the way across and I came over the hill and ran right over the back part. I saw it squirming. I couldn't help it. It was all the way across the road. I am afraid to run over a snake, too. But couldn't help that time. Anyway, one less snake, I hope.

It rained all day today. And looks like it will alot next week too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  6:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm still wallking!! :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  10:12:56 AM  Show Profile
Good, Hannah! There won't be any walking today here. It's freezing out there. I am not liking April at all so far.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  2:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,
I walk at least once and sometimes twice a day with my dog, Molly. I usually go about 2 1/2 miles. My DD is here with two of her dogs so I have been walking a lot more lately! Weird weather here, it was 80 last Saturday and today it's snowing.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  2:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Walking, great to be out and about again. I walk mostly on the weekends about a 3 hour stint. Must say I am a bit soar the first couple times out, but a good soar they say? Nice to see the earth waking up again.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  2:47:06 PM  Show Profile
ristin - what a beautiful road you walk on! Georgia is so pretty.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  3:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it is great to be walking for so many wonderful reasons.

I don't know how many Farmgirls know that April 6th was National Walking Day. So, even if you missed it, here is something very special for all my Farmgirl Sisters who are already walking or just thinking about how to start walking tomorrow for a more vibrant health and wellness.

http://www.startwalkingnow.org/

Now that springtime is in bloom, there is indeed so much to enjoy around us to really getting our feet moving! You can do it! It's just one step at a time and one foot in front of the other!

"Find your own Calcutta!" Mother Teresa

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  3:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes we just need a little help and encouragment from friends and Farmgirl Sisters to get us out and get our feet stepping along.

SO, here is a little encouragement for those Farmgirls who might need just that little extra smile and motivation and Yes, you can........

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/beginner.html

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  5:12:16 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad there are still so many of you walking. Thanks, Teresita, for all the links. They have some good info to get ya going.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  5:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh, thanks so much for posting! I have not been walking at all for a while due to foot pain and subsequent surgery. I am all healed up now and don't have any excuses, just signed up for a "health" team at work to help with motivation. I live on an unpaved road and there are a lot of potholes, I think I will drive to town and park my car at the "hike and bike" trail. Just need to get started!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  9:12:49 PM  Show Profile

I think sometimes the hardest part of walking is just scheduling it as one does for a hair appt at the salon. Just schedule it! If you say "I'll go walking tomorrow, it seems like there is always one chore more to do or something for someone else and the walking doesn't happen.

What is also great to remember is that you don't need to go on a long walk but you can do those mini-walks and they add up too!

So make a schedule and block it in! If you have a buddy to walk with you that's great too.

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  05:14:02 AM  Show Profile
What a cute dog. What's his name? I have a Yellow lab mix named Bubba. He can't walk with us because some else brings their dogs and Bubba does not like other dogs and tries to kill them. So he gets to stay home.

That's what we do. We are supposed to walk in the fall and winter at 4 pm then when it starts warming up we go back to 8:30 in the mornings. Mon-Fri. And weekends if we can.

I am on the hunt for Stinging Nettles. I have got to find some. There are so many beautiful flowers and bushes to see in the woods. But I want to see a SN clump. Has anyone tried these fresh? I hope they grow here. There is a lot of wet land there where we walk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  08:43:29 AM  Show Profile
DOgs can be a nice companion and buddy. IF you don't have a dog, which I don't, and have cats instead like me, you can still have fun by asking a good friend to be your walking-buddy.

Keeping the walk simple is really important when starting out. You don't want to overdo it and then the day after, forget it! So think a small walk to get your feet moving and stay with it for a little while your feet and body adjusts. Then listen to your feet and they'll let you know when they want to walk a little farther.

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  6:00:59 PM  Show Profile
Kris--around here, the best way to find stinging nettles is to walk through the woods wearing shorts! Don't know if they're out yet, but when they appear, you can have them!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  7:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, have you ever seen any? I just want some so bad. I will look tomorrow when we walk. I copied an article on them with pictures I will take with me. I know they have to around here somewhere. I have heard about the sting. I don't think I'll be wearing shorts. I'll have long sleeves and gloves.

I was supposed to walk this morning but had an appt for my yearly thyroid checkup. He said there has been no change so didn't think I'd need to come back. They did a sonogram and will let me know if there is a change. I also had blood drawn. So hopefully I won't have to go see him again. I don't like to go to doctors.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Is Anyone Walking? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page