Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Using less Plastics- finding alternatives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Using less Plastics- finding alternatives Next Topic
Page: of 2

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  3:36:56 PM  Show Profile
When I met my husband, and we were living overseas, my eyes were opened to one big reality....I and the people in my family were huge plastic users in many different ways. Now I know it is tough not to use plastics once you were 'born into the idea of using them for everything', but I am trying my best to find alternatives. Trying to be less of a landfill contributor, and oil consumer can be a tough act. I was wondering if there are others out there with fun and creative ways to use less plastic.
My newest revelation is to fold most of my clothes in my closet instead of hanging them on, (most of the time), plastic hangers! So far it is working great since I installed more shelves. I also can see my wardrobe better and am more efficient in wearing more of it!! Anyone else have ideas?

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................

Edited by - plantcarazy on Apr 13 2011 6:29:11 PM

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  5:31:05 PM  Show Profile
I use glass canning jars of all sizes for LOTS of storage and even in Dh's lunch. He especially likes homecanned applesauce in his lunch in a glass jar... he says it is much colder that way. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  5:50:39 PM  Show Profile
I try not to buy things that are packaged in lots of plastic. I buy some staples--nuts, seeds, spices, etc.--in bulk from a store that allows you to get as much or as little as you need. You put them in a paper bag and weigh them. I hate buying electronics, as they're usually encased in way too much plastic. I also have started buying glass storage containers and have been phasing out my Rubbermaid/ Tupperware containers. I recycle all the plastic that I use. My vice is that I'm a soda addict, and I buy the plastic bottles. I like your idea of folding clothes--maybe it's time for a closet makeover!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  5:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Angie and PrarieHawk, Thanks for replying
I have moved to a lot of glass canning jars too, and pyrex and the vintage refrigerator boxes that I find at estate sales in my neighborhood. I also have concerns with all the chemicals used in making plastics and how they are now discovery the health issues that lead to those chemicals. My other issue is the lining in metal cans that are mostly plastic these days, the other reason, (amongst other reasons)I have started to can more.

Edited by - plantcarazy on Apr 13 2011 6:29:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  03:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
We have been trying to get away from plastics too. I've been watching documentaries on Netflix alot about food and water and what's bad for you. It's pretty scarey! I watched one the other day called Blue Vinyl. They were talking about the bad plastics and mentioned PETE or recycling symbol with a 1 in it as being bad. I started looking around the house and almost all of our plastic food containers were 1's! So we said okay we won't buy these brands anymore if we can help it. but all major brands of soda come in that type of bottle. Our local store is Woodman's and they sell a lot of organic stuff and that type of thing. We can get Oberweiss milk in glass and only found a few types of juice (mostly apple) in glass. The glass bottle milk is the same price for half a gallon as the regular is for a whole gallon. The juice is slightly more expensive and to avoid soda at least you usually have the can option. We've been cutting way back on soda so I splurged on the locally made glass bottle kind.

Glass food storage is really causing us problems though. Other than lucking out and finding vintage storage containers with the lids intact (we have a few) the only even remotely affordable alternative is Ikea's glass fridge storage at under $20 per piece... which really isn't cheap but it's not the $28-30 pieces I see elswhere. I haven't even looked to see if our zip bags and plastic wrap are killing us slowly or not, I think that would be too overwhelming for me right now; I need to get the container and incoming foods issue straight before I try to tackle that! lol

My Blog ~ http://www.travisandjennykerr.com/kerrfect
My Etsy ~ http://www.etsy.com/shop/beletvieux
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  09:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
There was a segment on the today show this morning about a family trying to create no garbage and the mother was taking the clamp top glass jars to the store and when she'd buy meat from the meat counter she'd have them put it in that, same thing with cheeses.

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  05:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, you reminded me of our butcher when I was young. He wrapped the meat in brown "butcher paper" and tied it with a string. The paper would be used for starting a fire and the string was saved for many other uses. My Nana would purchase sugar and flour in bulk and brought her own flour and sugar sacks to fill at the mill.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  07:07:47 AM  Show Profile
One idea I got from someone was to wrap my lunch sandwiches in cloth instead of using the plastic sandwich bags or tupperware containers. I am starting to re-use glass jars as much as possible also. Whenever possible when buying things at the grocery store I try to purchase the glass option if possible. Its a lot of work sometimes trying to be more concious about what I do but hopefully over time it will get easier.

Best wishes,

Lesley
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  07:55:45 AM  Show Profile
When I have to buy produce from the grocery store I try not to put anything in the plastic produce bags. I just lay the produce in my cart or on top of my reusable bags. (we wash our produce when we get home anyways!) There goes a little more plastic waste usage.... Also if I have to buy lettuce or produce of that nature that would fall apart if layed in the cart, I use a mesh bag (kind of like mosquito netting) that I made, and it works great!
Thank you for mentioning butcher paper for wrapping meat, for some reason I often forget about using it. I guess it is habit I just need to form...
I buy a lot in bulk as well, at our natural food coop that we are lucky to have near by. If I do not have my own container for the bulk items already I use paper bags they supply in the bulk isles. I also found baby food jars make great spice containers as well.

Go to Top of Page

AngieB
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Angie
Elizabethtown PA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  08:48:15 AM  Show Profile
So what would anyone suggest for freezing? We freeze a lot of strawberries and blueberries every year reusing plastic sour cream containers and things like that.
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile
I have found some stainless steel containers that seal airtight (small silicone ring for seal) that have worked best for me for freezing. The initial investment was a little pricey, but they will last forever...The nice thing about them is that they are made to stack, and come in a lot of different sizes.

Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
any idea what brand the SS containers are?

Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:30:13 PM  Show Profile
I think the stainless steel containers are from onyx inc. or something like that (stickers fell off!!) Try http://www.thetickletrunk.com/store.php

Edited by - plantcarazy on Apr 19 2011 1:30:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:12:33 PM  Show Profile
that tickletrunk has some really cool stainless steel containers but OUCH... they are really expensive... 29 dollars for one ice cube tray!!
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Try amazon.com you may find competitive prices? I went and looked at one of my containers.. for sure it is Onyx Inc.

Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  05:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for looking that up, I'll have to check it out

@hookangel I found old metal ice cube trays at a yard sale last year for $3 for both if I remember right. I saw a bunch of them at a thrift store once but didn't have room for more than my two! lol

Go to Top of Page

kiminca
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Kim
Ontario CA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile
I really appreciate this thread! Last week we were talking about the dangers of plastics at work--my oh my, the more I know the more paranoid I become!

I've started to save every glass jar I come across to repurpose them. I am collecting supplies to make my own shampoo, lotion, lip balm, etc--all of which come in plastic from a store, so if I can skip the plastic bottle I will. Even my bath ball that is supposed to remove toxins from my bath water is in a plastic cage! AW!

Like Jennifer, I made my own produce bags this week too. I bought a yard of 108"wide bridal veil fabric for $2.49 and have made about a dozen bags. I sewed a piece of folded ribbon into the seam, two different ribbon types, to distinguish my two sizes and to make them cute...

This is a small amount of plastic--but sanitary napkins too. I have used 'glad rags' , on and off, and always feel better when I do.

I have a lot of hanging space in my closet and not too much folding room, so I switched to wooden hangers. I have liked this because it makes what I have look better (even if the clothes are really old), they take up more space, and I can see what a I have--helping me to not trick myself into thinking I need something new. I have resolved to not buy any more hangers--so if something new does make it in something has to be given away.

I hope everyone keeps posting, I love to hear all of your good ideas! Kim
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  09:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
I like that you mentioned the hangers. I bought an entire closet full of men's suits a few months ago at an estate auction for $2.50. My initial reasoning was the sheer amount of beautiful wool fabric I could salvage off the 200 or so handmade pieces (between jackets, pants and vests) but a side product of that purchase was all of the hangers! I don't have enough to hang everything we own between hubby and I, but I sure do have enough good heavy wooden hangers now to make a dent!

Go to Top of Page

The Magpie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Melanie
San Dimas California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  8:39:44 PM  Show Profile
I found some glass fridge containers at The Container Store. I make my own almond milk and they had a nice glass pitcher with a lid to store it in the fridge. I also use the vintage glass containers for various leftovers. I am still looking for some sort of replacement for the plastic sandwich bags that I use to keep cheese in the fridge. As for lunches, I used to use the waxed paper bags from Reynolds but the last few times I looked, no one seems to carry them anymore. I think I remember seeing a cloth washable one in a Container Store catalog. I'll have to check at the store and see what they have.
Go to Top of Page

The Magpie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Melanie
San Dimas California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  8:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Ok, me again. I just checked the Container Store online and they have glass pitchers for the fridge, glass leftover containers and fabric sandwich bags:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10029084&N=&Ntt=sandwich+bag
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversGlass
I like all the products I have purchased from them and think they are very good quality.

I am wondering, though, if we couldn't make our own sandwich bag, in true farmgirl fashion. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  3:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the container internet site Melanie, I am always looking for new container ideas.

......Born again Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile
We have been trying to rid our kitchen of plastic products too. I recently got rid of all my "Tupperware" and similar products, thought those new Glad and Ziplock containers were great, but then with all the plastic phobia in the news i decided to get rid of it all. I love to browse through antique shops, so my husband and I have been collecting Pyrex and FireKing and the old glass conainers and refidgerator glass sets. It serves two purposes for me, one- collecting more "antiques"-adding to what i've recieved from grandmothers and aunts, and two changing all of my storage containers from plastic to glass. Another way to "get- back- to- the- basics" Why let all that wonderful glassware sit on store shelves, why not use it?
Born in the wrong era..
Mariebelle

Edited by - Mariebelle on Jun 06 2011 4:54:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  05:38:55 AM  Show Profile
What a great thread. I found glass "Lock n Lock" bowls a Sam's. They do have plastic tops with a gasket to make sure the seal is totally air tight. I make sure no food touches the plastic top. Do you expert gals on this subject think this is safe?

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  09:29:19 AM  Show Profile
N@n,

I saw those at Costco too. I didn't get that set but a different one with plastic lids, so i can take them to work in my lunch. I just don't put the lid in the microwave. At least that way we can cut down on the plastics that touch our food. My favorites still are the old ones i find at antique stores, i just love the nostalgia of it, but they don't seal so not good for work. Some girls i work with actually use mason jars as their water bottles- so fun!

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  10:55:06 AM  Show Profile
I agree---this is a great thread. I've been trying to reduce the amount of plastics, or at least switch to BPA free versions. I love to collect old kitchenware and old Pyrex is my favorite---but folks need to be aware that not all older Pyrex is safe in the microwave. (I don't use my dishwasher but I wouldn't put older pieces in the dishwasher either---if you're trying to preserve the finish.) This is a good summary of what you should and shouldn't try out in the microwave: http://www.corellecorner.com/quick-questions/137-which-products-made-by-corning-are-safe-for-microwave-use.html This is also a fun website for anyone interested in Pyrex patterns.

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile
I use canning jars. I also buy the old pyrex refrigerator dishes. Love them!

Tina Kay

Happy it is, indeed, for me that my heart is capable of feeling the same simple and innocent pleasure as the peasant whose table is covered with food of his own rearing, and who not only enjoys his meal, but remembers with delight the happy days and sunny mornings when he planted it, the soft evenings when he watered it, and the pleasure he experienced in watching it’s daily growth.

J.W. von Goethe (the Sorrows of Werther)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Using less Plastics- finding alternatives Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page