Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Using less Plastics- finding alternatives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Using less Plastics- finding alternatives Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  11:41:19 AM  Show Profile
True, the old pyrex and such are not best in the microwave, and i don't put them in the dishwasher either. Also they can shatter, i broke one of my favorites because i put it on a cold surface from the oven, it was a trivet, but not a cloth one. So i use the new glass containers in the microwave. In fact i have found i don't use my mirowave as much anymore, i don't know if it's because my son moved out last year or because of the old glassware. Maybe a combination, but it's probably better that i don't use it so much.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of using a canning jar for a water bottle! I never thought of that! I've been using an aluminum water bottle for work, but have been trying to give up aluminum, too. A canning jar wouldn't leak...perfect! Thanks, Marie! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  1:26:01 PM  Show Profile
I know, I never thought of that either, Mary and when i see them their ice water looks so much more refreshing than mine did-- haha. The mason jar does sweat though, so have something to put it on to collect the condensation! I guess you could say they do "leak" but it's more fun anyway.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  5:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I never thought of the sweating...maybe I can force a water bottle sleeve over it...MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  7:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Slowly but surely I am replacing most things that were plastic in my kitchen to glass or wood or cloth.... I am currently making cloth lunch bags for my little one to use next year for school lunches... they are doubled thick cloth with a velcro closure... i am still shopping for a stainless steel little lunch containers online.... trying to find a bargain.

http://bbrightcorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  7:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Stray socks work great for the sweating jars.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  7:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Awesome idea Kim- I'll try it

Born in the wrong era..
Marie
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  7:41:02 PM  Show Profile
I, too have a true addiction to the od Pyrex refrgerator glass. I only use it to store leftovers, although hubs is still exposed to a few plastic containers in his lunchbox. HECK, he gets homeade yogurt, sun tea, homemade canned fruits, homemade granola, and whatever else comes out of the kitchen from scratch...
Eventually, though, I will have enough of the refrigerator glass to use in lunches too!
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  8:58:14 PM  Show Profile
In one of the swaps or secret sister times I was given a reusable sandwich bag. It was made of two layers of cloth, the inside layer was windbreaker material and the outside layer a cute cotton print. Instead of a ziplock closure the bag had a strip of velcro. I used it in my husbands lunch this spring and when it got dirty I just threw it in the washer. I am going to try to make some this summer.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  9:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Love this! I am new to this site and am thrilled to find people that think and feel the same way I do. One of my goals is to cut down on plastic, but it is so hard to as plastic is EVERYWHERE! One thing I am totally against is bottled water. I did some research and found that bottled water is not any better than regular tap water. Did you know that the US sends our empty plastic bottles to other, poorer countries where it sits in big land fills? Sad. Love all the tips and am so glad to be part of this!
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  10:18:55 AM  Show Profile
So--will you all think less of me if I use plastic? I have worked hard to get stuff in maroon, like the Rubbermaid that has maroon lids. And I don't want to give it up! Plus, when I pack in on horseback, I don't want heavy containers that may or may not seal and could possibly break. And I love my maroon(!) Nalgene bottles. I guess I just figure that my insides will be well preserved. Too much information, I know, but maybe this is why I have intestinal problems--nothing for the nutrients to stick to!

Don't get me wrong. I admire you for what you are doing. I think it is the right way to go. But, like many of you, $$$ is problem.

And I like the tip about making produce bags from bridal netting. I made a couple of reusable produce bags from one issue of MJF, but lost them when I misplaced a couple of my reusable grocery bags. Wouldn't you know, I lost the insulated (maroon) one from Trader Joe's and the horse one from Fred Meyer.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  1:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Loyce, I don't think any of us are so judgemental that we would think less of you for using plastic! I got rid of most of mine, but I still have my secret stash! LOL! My problem areas are: lunch boxes- plastic seals tight, is light, and comes in convenient shapes, and when you need a really huge bowl- as in transporting large batch of soup. I've been able to switch to glass or Corning ware for just about everything else. Love the net bag idea for produce!
Go to Top of Page

LightGreenThumb
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  11:03:11 PM  Show Profile
I have my own sewing room and then I inheirited my mom's sewing room. She has been gone for 2 years and it is still sitting in boxes in my basement. I have been pondering how to add hers to mine and what to store all the treasures in. My first thought is to use clear plastic bins. They stack to so nice and you can see what is inside with out having to open the lid. I would love to try something else for storage and have investigated baskets however, they either without a lid or expensive with a lid. Does anyone have any ideas they have thought of or tried? I would love the input.

Blessings,

Elizabeth <><
Farmgirl #3091

Simplicity is Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

LightGreenThumb
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
Does any one have any ideas on how to organize with out using plastic bins. Would love to hear any ideas. Really need to get this part of my house under control. (See last post)
Blessings,

Elizabeth <><
Farmgirl #3091

Simplicity is Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  2:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, In my "sewing/craft room", I have a closet with shelving. I take my fabric, fold it and roll it , then stack it.....kind of like how some people store bath towels.....I can still see all the patterns and colors this way. Then I can pull them out almost like scrolls were stacked a long time ago....Then small remnant pieces I have rolled or stacked in two large wicker laundry baskets.

Loyce, I am not judgemental to anyone using plastics, I have started this thread just because I noticed I had so much, and kind of didn't like the information I had learned about certain plastics, especially with my little kids.....and I wanted to learn from others how they find alternatives...........

......Born again Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Here's an interesting blog: http://myplasticfreelife.com/

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

pixiedra
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Oklahoma
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  08:04:29 AM  Show Profile
On this subject, I think you would all think the book "No Impact Man" (amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/No-Impact-Man-Adventures-Discoveries/dp/0374222886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310310010&sr=8-1) facinating. Its all about how this man takes his family and pledges to not have a carbon footprint for a year. Mind you, he lives in the middle of Manhattan so growing a garden or having a farm is difficult.

While it may sound like it could be preachy, it's actually rather humorous and definitely makes you think. Why do we use so much plastic when most of it will inevitably live in the dump for the next 50+ years? My roommates and I have a recycling pledge, but instead of us having to do 100% of the effort, the companies making this stuff should focus on shouldering half of the problem because THEY are making the stuff!

An interesting tidbit I learned from the book was about the famous "Keep America Beautiful" pollution campaign from the 70s-present. Even I remember this and I'm only 20. Wanna know who started this initiative? The companies doing the most wasteful producing. Not saying that this didn't do any good, but its a lot more convient shifting all the blame for a trashy national park to people when instead if they helped the situation by making better packaging, we could all do better about it.

"You are you. Now isn't that pleasant?" Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  7:05:36 PM  Show Profile
In addition to never buying anything plastic, I also use canning jars and other glass/stainless steel food prep & storage bowls. When they don't have a lid of their own, I just plop a dish down on top. Works fine.
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  11:57:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm enjoying reading this thread, thank you!

If you search on Etsy, you can find many versions of cloth sandwich bags - some with zippers and some with velcro. My preference is for the zipper as velcro will get gunked up over time. Also, you should hang dry your cloth baggies - the dryer does a number on the fabric for those little things. Pay attention to the kind of fabric that is used to make the cloth baggies.

I have plenty of plastic containers that I freeze in. I also have pyrex (newer) with the rubbery lids that I send lunch to work with my husband to reduce the amount of plastic he's heating (although I believe he still microwaves the lids...). I never reheat in plastic, I think that's one of the main culprits in releasing toxins. I know that canning is great, but it's time consuming and I have little free time. I have an extra freezer and prefer to make sauce (tomato, apple, cranberry - etc) and freeze in plastic containers. Perhaps I'll eventually have enough time to can food and move to all glass items, but right now, that's not a possibility. It's a great idea for those who can.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  1:49:44 PM  Show Profile
Just FYI you can freeze in the wide mouth canning jars :). I haven't gotten away from plastic completely and my understanding is freezing is better then refrigerating in plastic and the more acidic and/or liquid the item is the worse the plastic is (and you are right about reheating). But I do know you can freeze certain ball jars so that might be an option for you until you are able to can more :).

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  11:36:46 AM  Show Profile
I LOVED the plastic free life link so THANK YOU for posting it :).

I am slowly working on this but sometimes it seems so overwhelming. I'm proud of myself today because I found a tin pencil box for DD and a porcelain travel coffee mug (with silicone top and band) at office depot, wasn't looking but couldn't pass them up!

Now some questions (mostly just from brainstorming):
What is the scoop on silicone, seems like its widely accepted as a plastic substitute when glass or ceramic or stainless won't work....

What about acrylic? I have some acrylic dishes and containers...hadn't thought about it before but wouldn't that technically be plastic? Has anyone seen anything on if its safe or not or where it ranks in the healthy/safe scales?

Toys may be the death of me!! We have lots of "colorful plastic" as DH likes to call it. I suppose we can just try to avoid buying more and phase out the other as we can, don't want to wipe out my kids stuff all at once :). For the holidays this year (their b-days are in September then Christmas) they are probably getting American Girl dolls (yep still plastic, anyone know anything about the makeup etc? I think they are made in china but I haven't found a good alternative for them with comparable quality), homemade (by me) doll clothes and accessories, cloth/felt/crochet play food and maybe kitchen accessories if I find non-plastic ones for a good price and some wooden thomas the train stuff (it probably has some plastic but it is the wood versions, I'd have to look closer) and probably legos. So there is some plastic in there but I'm keeping it to a min and legos are supposed to be ok. In the room already we have littlest petshop, little people and my little ponys, stuffed animals, some dolls and dress up stuff. Like I said don't want to wipe out all the plastic at once :). Thoughts?

Next-baby stuff. Seems like its ALL plastic, carseat, stroller (actually I'm looking at the sit and stand which I think is mostly metal...), bounceroo, swing, etc etc etc. I'll try to avoid buying plastic baby toys but wow seems hard to get away from :(

Also, what is the material that lines cloth diapers/diaper covers and the inside of the reusable sandwitch bags? Polyurethane right? What's the scoop on that? We use cloth diapers and I LOVE them but....not sure how you would replace that....

oh so much lol. Just as a disclaimer I still have LOTS AND LOTS of plastic in my life (in addition to that mentioned here) but I try to replace one thing at a time... so I totally don't judge anyone for the choices they make. We all only have so much time and energy and we have to decide what is most important for OUR family :). This is where I happen to be right now!

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  1:20:05 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure about silicone myself, but this article is a general consensus of what I have read so far, so take how you want.... http://www.care2.com/greenliving/is-silicone-bakeware-safe-ask-annie.html

......Born again Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

LightGreenThumb
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  6:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have an alternative for using the plastic bags at the market to bring home your bulk foods? I like the idea of reusable vegetable bags but what kind of fabric won't add to the price by adding to weight as they are sold by the pound? Expecially spices not every fabric will hold them.
Blessings,

Elizabeth <><
Farmgirl #3091

Simplicity is Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that article Jenn...wow that doesn't make me feel good about using it in baby bottles but I guess its the best option right now. :(

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Using less Plastics- finding alternatives Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page