Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Patriotic Star Quilt Block Swap CLOSED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Patriotic Star Quilt Block Swap CLOSED Next Topic
Page: of 6

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  1:08:22 PM  Show Profile
First I must say that I do agree with the size issue. It is hard to make blocks "fit" when they are different sizes. I love when we have a newbie quilter join our swaps ....Susan. Even when the blocks are basic. What matters is when folks take pride in what they send. I know that my blocks are not always perfect but I do I think that these swaps help all of us learn from each other. So enough "mothering" I am going to make some tea.....sort my fabric, pick a pattern, and start sewing my blocks. And cheers to all the new quilters that want to learn.....I have been there with the quilt nazis....Oh -- they are a scary bunch of blue haired ladies........I'm more scared of them then the OZ flying monkeys....LOL Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1236 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1236 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  07:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Darlene I have a question. Since this is my first quilt square swap with MJF how are we to know who the quilt square come from. Do I sign my quilt square or include a note or is it just not said who all of your quilt squares come from? Thanks for any info on this. You have done a great job at giving us all great info on this swap. Thanks

Sherry
Farm Girl #2215

www.etsy.com/shop/markiebuck
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  08:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherry,
Some people want theirs signed and others don't. Those that want theirs signed can post here that they do. I pin my name on all my blocks or put an address label on them so everyone knows mine. I placed stickers with the names of those that didn't for the last swap. Please everyone put your name on all your blocks so everyone knows who made it, by pinning it on or an address label or sticky. Sign only those that want theirs signed.

Keep checking back for everyone's input.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  09:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by HealingTouch

Thank you for your kind words and for backing me. These are to be fun swaps for everyone. It takes money and time to participate. The blocks have to be the correct size or they are useless to the rest of the blocks. If you send a quality block you certainly want a quality block in return. Certainly you can look at your blocks and see what they look like. Just to pass anything off to receive other blocks in return won't work. No one deserves to get anything other than the right size,squared,trimmed, etc. block. If it's not done properly it will not be sent to anyone. It will be sent back to the owner. The directions are easy to read. They just need to be followed and then we all can get wonderful blocks. No one is perfect but we do expect quality. Start out with a simple pattern and it's all good.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Okay...I've been reading the posts from the Easter/Spring quilt swap and the Patriotic Quilt swap and, though I had come to peace with all of it and had decided to let it go and move on, I now feel I have to say what's on my mind. For the rest of you who may or may not know, Darlene (HealingTouch) refused to accept my quilt blocks from the Easter/Spring quilt swap stating the blocks, quote,"weren't good enough...weren't squared properly...weren't the right size," and, "the other girls, some who had been quilting for decades, would surely say something on the forum." I was also asked to remove myself from the Patriotic Star Quilt Block Swap as well which I did. Being a novice sewist and first time "quilter" I accepted that and apologized for the blocks being unacceptable. Of course, that's certainly something that's hard to hear, but I thought that if I keep practicing hopefully my quilting will get better in time.

First of all, as I said I'm just learning to quilt. I'm also a novice sewest/seamstress. Most everything I've learned I've had to teach myself because I've never really had money for classes, especially with a kid in college, and never really had anyone to teach me these things. Also as some of you already know, I have many physical issues which make things like knitting, crochet, sewing, even typing very painful, but these are things I love to do and I love giving to others so I do the best I can with them. On top of that, the last 6 months have been sheer hell for my family and me, starting with a double mastectomy that wouldn't heal and had to be totally redone 3 weeks later and then got severely infected. I have been unable to work since the surgeries last October (I'm a Registered Nurse).
Then while trying to complete swaps and barters over the last couple of months, the flu bug has gone through my family twice. And just in the last 3 weeks or so, my husband and I "inherited" a house that is requiring a lot of work just to make it livable and we've had no other choice than to move into it. So I guess if I'm in a bit of a crappy mood these days, this is part of it.

Secondly, back to the blocks...I did the best I could with my level of knowledge and what I had to work with. My mom came up to help me clean this house so we could move and she also helped me with the blocks. The women in my family were quilters for generations and she thought the blocks were okay and I sent them. I know my blocks weren't perfect and I was not ashamed of them, nor am I ashamed to post here that they were rejected. That's your decision as the moderator and I accept that. As I said, I did the best I could. What I *do* have an issue with though are the comments being made like, "Certainly you can look at your blocks and see what they look like. Just to pass anything off to receive other blocks in return won't work," and, "No one is perfect but we do expect quality." Since as far as I know, I was the only one to have blocks returned, this insinuates that:

1) I only threw together some crap and sent it so that I could receive "quality" quilt blocks in return, and,

2) My quilt blocks were of inferior quality.

While you may feel that way Darlene, I was very proud of my first *actual* as opposed to *cheater* quilt blocks and was excited to be swapping with the others. Also, I do have integrity and would never send things to others that I thought was crap, or that I wouldn't make and use myself or give to my family and friends. I'm sorry you feel that way and since I thought this had been settled via email, I was surprised to come here and on the Easter/Spring quilt thread and read the remarks from you. Enough is enough. I will not waste your time or anyone else's time by joining any future quilt block swaps, but I would appreciate an end to the catty remarks.

Thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  6:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

Please remove me from this swap. It is very disappointing to see this happen in a swap.

Thank you.

Michelle "futters"
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  7:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I am sorry but I will remove you from the swap.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  7:45:06 PM  Show Profile
I take her place if that is ok.I had come down with broncitis and having problems with asthma and I did not think I would be able to get them done but I am feeling better and since you need a person I would glad to hop back in... Is this ok?? bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  7:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Beverley you are in. Glad you're back.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  05:52:57 AM  Show Profile
To sign or not to sign...that is the question...
I would prefer my blocks not to be signed. I think that if we were to just use a small address lable or a sticker on the back that would be fine.
I have received blocks that were signed in the past. Now most of the time it takes me a year to two to actually but a quilt top together. Yes, I am a little slow. I do these swaps because I just love them. They become little suprises in the mail. Everyone loves to get packages in the mail.
Now mostly I use these tops as donations and daily use. So I know they are going to be loved and washed alot.
When I pull these blocks out of storage, most of the time I can not remember the person who signed them. But that's me. If I don't talk and see you every day or so, I tend to forget your name. Is it just old age?? Or is it just the sponge on my shoulder is not working like it should be. I don't know.
And sadly to say, when I had finished the quilt, after washing it, some of the names either washed away or was just a messy spot. Why? I don't know.
So....I would prefer not to have signed blocks.
And Darlene, Thank you for hosting this and other blocks swaps. You are doing a great job. I found a simple star pattern. Ok, two patterns. Not sure which I will be making. I have fabric washed, ironed and ready to cut but,.....I am going to visit my sister this afternoon. We are going to a Tricky Tray. I love those things. And and well, I will be visiting a fabric shop first. So,....Who knows. I may come home with more fabric.
Have a great Weekend everyone.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  10:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Please do not sign my blocks, either. You can stick on an address label or pin or your name and info. Thanks!

My blocks are ALmost done. WOO HOO!

Linda O
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  10:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
OK, I give, Kathy. What is Tricky Tray?

Linda O
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

LindaJo
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Linda
Fargo ND
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  12:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Kahty
I've never had the problem you discribed but I do love signed blocks. One thing I do know about working with fabric and quilting is it can react very unpredictabye. I always wash my fabric before I use it because I've seen sad things happen to quilts when the fabric wasn't washed first. But sometimes no matter what you do, things happen. I wonder if you iron the signature first to set the ink if that would help. Like I said I have alot of signed quilts and never had that problem-yet. Just never know.

Art cleans the dust of everyday life from the soul. Picasso
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:53:06 PM  Show Profile
A tricky Tray is a silent auction. Or a basket bingo. Mostly schools and non profit organizations hold these to raise money.
The tables are lined with different gifts. Gifts are normally new donated items. They can be anything from gift cards to Large screen TVs. (these events can cost a little money to participate in. But since it is going to a good cause. And since I get to spend a few hours with my sister, I don't mide the expense)
Each gift will have a small bucket or bag in front of it. You place a ticket in the bucket or bag that corresponds to the gift you would like to win. After everyone has put all their tickets in to the bags, the caller pulls a ticket out of the bag and that person wins. Not everyone wins. It is a game of chance. And sometimes, one person will win 4 or 5 times. It all depends on how may tickets you purchase.
There were over 250 gifts at this event. This was for Noah’s Ark animal rescue.
I was very lucky. I won the very last prize. It was an iPad.
I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet. Of course my 26 yr old daughter would love it.

I did get more fabric. It has been washed and ironed. I promise to finish my blocks this weekend so I can get them mailed in a little early.
take care

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:03:11 PM  Show Profile
I would like to know who would like their quilt squares signed so I may do it right. I don't mind doing it but I would rather that you not sign mine... thanks bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I prefer no one signs my blocks. Just an address label or a name and city/state on a slip of paper pinned to the block is fine.

My blocks are ready to mail. Please send me the address I send them to and I will get them off in the mail.

Thanks!

Linda O
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  7:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I prefer no blocks be signed either. I hope you all saw to send $5 and no envelope. I have all the envelopes ready to return everyone's blocks. The postman assured me it would work out better with no problems.

Kathy, I'm sure your daughter does want that Ipod. LOL! Give it to her for Christmas! Weren't you the lucky one! how's your MIL?

I will let you know when your blocks arrive.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Edited by - HealingTouch on Apr 19 2011 8:02:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  2:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Received Jill's blocks and they are wonderful. Now I am so excited to see everyone else's. Oh, I am so glad we did this swap! Hooray for the Red, White and Blue!!!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

SusanHarmon
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Susan Harmon
Robertsdale AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  8:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Darlene; I would like my blocks unsigned. I am quilting each lady`s name and city into their block for the Spring block swap.

Sister #1958
Let all that you do be done in love
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  07:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Wow Susan, That sounds nice. Can't wait to see them. [;)

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  5:40:10 PM  Show Profile
My Daughter wants the iPad for sure.

My MIL is ok. Today we went in for preadmission testing. We will go back in on Monday for the test results and to learn how to change and empty the new bag. Wednesday she goes in for the operation. The bladder has to come out. The cancer is in the wall and there is no treatment that will cure or kill it. They are saying this operation could take 4 to 6 hours.
She is holding up real good right now. We are just praying that everything will be fine and that she will have as normal a life as possible. This will be the third surgery within 90 days. This is an awful lot for an 82 year old.

I am working on my blocks as I type. I am moving right along. I think, and this is a real big thought, that I will have them in the mail by Tuesday.
Take care everyone.
I hope you all have a very Happy Easter!

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

SusanHarmon
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Susan Harmon
Robertsdale AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  6:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Sister #1958
Let all that you do be done in love
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  8:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Kathy...I used to be an OR nurse and then I was the office nurse for 2 Urologists. I went with them and scrubbed on the big cases, one of which is what your MIL is having done. It is a big procedure but there is no other way. Poor lady. Barring no complications she should do well. No surgery is a picnic and she has had her share for sure. My prayers for you all. Keep us posted. Tell me her name and if it's ok I will put her on our prayer list and it will be emailed throughout our church. Wow you are getting the blocks finished fast too! Way to go! I hope I won't be the one whose blocks are completed last! LOL!

They have changed our addresses so we all have physical addresses instead of RRs and Box # so it is easier to locate us in an emergency. We're only 10 years behind the rest of the country! I will email it to all of you.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  9:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My blocks will be mailed on Wednesday (27th April).

Linda O
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  9:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Linda, I emailed my address. Can't wait to see your blocks!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Shirley Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shirley
Beulaville North Carolina
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:48:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Darlene,
Blocks are done and in the mail you should have them in a couple days. Can't wait to see the blocks everyone has done.

Shirley

The distance between friends is never too far
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Patriotic Star Quilt Block Swap CLOSED Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page