TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  07:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I've been offline, my PC crashed! $200 and a new hard drive later... ugh...

So apparently they aren't making any new henhouses due to server space issues... so we'll have to look at alternatives. We can either do just a thread on here (like this one), or set something up off the MJF system, like a yahoo group?? The benefits to doing a thread are that we stay on this system... a drawback to that is that our work would be out there for the whole Farmgirl world (gulp) to read. I guess I was thinking more of a one-on-one type of critique?? But that might just be my own feeling. What do ya'll think??

~TJ of Green Willow Place

www.MyWesternHome.wordpress.com

"We make a living by what we get, but we build a life by what we give." ~Thomas S. Monson
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  09:30:49 AM  Show Profile

Personally, I think it would be best if we had a private place for work to be shown (yahoo site if necessary) but I see no reason why we couldn't also have a supplemental thread right here, in addition to that. Would having two locations be too complex?

As far as where to begin, may I suggest that we simply share exercises and techniques? That is something we could do right on this thread and, in time, it could become a great resource for all Farmgirl Sisters who want to improve their writing, whether or not they want to join the writers' group.

I know that we will be all over the place in skill levels and production capabilities (for example--no way can I promise 10 pages per week right now, but I think it's great that others can).

I think this could gain momentum organically and without a lot of pressure if just a few people have some work that they'd like to offer for the group read. Those who have work--great--those of us who don't--can be readers.

These are just suggestions. I am not trying to moderate the group in any way.
Best,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  12:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Karen~ I like your ideas!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  1:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Karen - great ideas!! I like them too. Keeping this thread going will give us a place to be in contact with other Farmgirls, and the yahoogroup will let us keep our work under construction also under wraps.

I'll set up a yahoogroup and post another note here with the title; we can go from there.

I'm not at all possessive of this - anyone who would like to help moderate, or do the moderation, is more than welcome!!!!

"We make a living by what we get, but we build a life by what we give." ~Thomas S. Monson
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  1:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I have always written stories and poetry =) In the last year I have decided to throw all of my creative mojo at getting all of my notes and research up-dated and organized. The one that I'm working on now is a near-future spy thriller. I have a lot of energy with this story and it inspires me, so I'm going to write it!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  1:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Okay, it's set up! Go to yahoogroups.org and search for Write Sisters. You'll have to send a request to join it - this way we keep out the weirdo spammers who join every new list to post junk. Just let me know you're from MaryJanes! You'll have to set up a (free) yahoo account, but that's pretty easy. I've got a few other yg's and they work pretty well; we can save work to a file in there and look at each other's stuff that way.

This will be great! Can't wait to read what you guys are writing!!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  2:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...
I went to yahoogroups.org and learned that there a whole bunch of other groups called Write Sisters
and I can't seem to find ours.

Maybe after a few of you (who are less computer-challenged than I am) find it, it will go up the list and become easier to find.

Thanks for setting this up TJ,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  3:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Fiddle, websites!!! Pffbbt on 'em all.

OK go to yahoogroups.com and where it says search, try this - writesisters. There is only one other group (which didn't show up on my first search!) called THE Write Sisters... ours is just writesisters, one word, no the. If you use spaces between the letters, 9 gazillion groups come up. Wild!

Our group says "MaryJane's Farmgirl Sisters of the pen! We're a critique group created for the purpose of sharpening each other's skills, offering support, and having fun!"

Let me know...

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  9:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Just went over and signed up!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  12:21:13 PM  Show Profile
TJ, just joined!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  06:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi TJ,
I just joined. It was easy once I had your simple directions.
Thanks!
Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Great!!!

If any other Farmgirl writers want to join, just pop over there and do so!

We want to keep this thread of messages active; the only reason we're adding the "other" website group is because there are limits here on what we can do, privacy settings with our work in progress, etc. I know we're all totally loyal to MaryJanes!!! And just so everyone knows, there is no money made or anything like that with a yahoogroup, it's a free service.

Looking forward to getting started with this critique group, I think it will really help us!!

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I just requested to join the yahoo group. Just letting ya know!

Thanks,
Cheryl

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  11:28:54 AM  Show Profile
In the Across the Fence Forum, I started a thread about the women who have influenced our lives. So far there are only about eight postings, but very interesting.....just saying, what an awesome way to (help) develop "characters" in a story, when we can draw on the rich experience of others.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  07:14:56 AM  Show Profile
I write, but have not published a book. I participated in the NaNoWriMo last November. I have had articles published in magazines, and on-line. My goal was to get busy this year, but family illnesses and emergencies prevented me. I do belong to a local area writer's group, but have not done anything with it this year yet.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Kristina - we'd love to have you join our group! We're just sort of getting started; Holly set up a Wiki page too which is pretty neat, a great "working" format. We've started a travelling story, and a couple of us have posted work we'd like suggestions on. Please feel invited!

Others too, if you are interested in joining the group - come on over! With it being a private group we can feel safe in posting our current projects, and those of us in the group are all writers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Any Writers Onboard? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page