True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  2:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals!

I wonder if there were any other writers around? I'm working on a Christian fiction novel and it would sure be neat to have an online "writer's group", to kick ideas around and discuss the merits of various verbs. Etc.

I'm a mom (often too busy) of young homeschoolers so find myself just hustle-hustle-hustling doing what needs to be done, while my characters hang out in my head having conversations. If I'm lucky I'm able to grab a pen or pencil or broken-off crayon and make notes... if not I find that a few days have gone by with nothing written down, and I'd like to feel more accountable!

So thought I would check! Iron sharpens Iron, it would be neat to have something like that going on here!

~TJ of Green Willow Place

www.MyWesternHome.wordpress.com

"We make a living by what we get, but we build a life by what we give." ~Thomas S. Monson

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  4:07:24 PM  Show Profile
TJ,
Are you the one looking for a Gulf War Veteran? My DH is one and would let you ask him some questions.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile
TJ--I'm a writer and like you, it's difficult to find the time to work on my poems and stories. I work full time and often sitting down at a computer at the end of the day and trying to come up with something is very frustrating. Sometimes it's only a sentence or two, sometimes several paragraphs. I've been published but I haven't been paid for anything I've written, but everyone has to start somewhere. Don't get discouraged, there are some very good books out there to help beginning writers. I have to confess, I don't write everyday, sometimes I just feel too wiped out to write. Lately, I've been listening to a CD of Tibetan meditation music--lovely flutes, bells, chants, etc.--and that always seems to center me and then I remember why I feel called to write. I like the saying that "writing is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." Don't be afraid to break a sweat!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  6:48:03 PM  Show Profile
The "Writers Group" sounds like a lovely idea.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  7:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the encouragement, you guys! I'm blessed that I've already been published; I've been a magazine writer for several years which is really exciting! I've just not written a novel before, and am finding the sheer volume of it a little daunting. But, one bite at a time, the ant eats the elephant!!

Diane - I'd love to talk with your husband - am working on a list of questions, I'll email you guys when I am ready and see if you are then too? Will that work? I sure appreciate it!

Thanks ya'll!!

"We make a living by what we get, but we build a life by what we give." ~Thomas S. Monson
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  7:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Works for me!

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  7:56:06 PM  Show Profile
A writers group would be great. I'm currently working on a book as well. It's always interesting to go from writing for print magazines or online publications to writing a full fledged book. And then...when you get so far into the book (where I am now) and you realize that a lot of "writing" is about "business" too. (contacts and networking and platforms and UGH!!! :( Anyhow, would love to see a writers group here. I also homeschool two kids (ages 7 and 8) so its a task to try and figure out when to do the writing. But bit by bit it gets done. Its the only way anything ever does!! Good luck and feel free to message me if you want to chat more. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  9:28:22 PM  Show Profile
TJ,
That would be super!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  06:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am a writer too- but I haven't practiced my craft for a few years. I really would like to work on it more this year. I have a novel I have been meaning to write for years. Its this thing that is unfinished in my life. Even if it turns out to be the worst novel ever- I want to at least get the whole thing down on paper!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  06:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Alee, you're probably the most experienced one on this forum - how would we start a group like this? Do we want to be our own "henhouse" or just run off a thread like this posting?? What do you think?

I think we should do this - it would be super to help other people and find help for myself at the same time!! True Sisterhood spirit!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  08:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi TJ!
There used to be a writer's henhouse and it actually worked really well. I do see some of the gals that are involved on this thread are not Sisterhood members so if everyone was a sisterhood member the henhouse would be ideal. If not everyone can join the sisterhood then we could just keep this thread going!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  03:37:21 AM  Show Profile
I would love to join a writer's group here. I've never been published, but I dream of it. It would be great to have a place where everyone could share.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  09:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
A writer's group sounds fabulous! I'm not a member of any hen-house, but I think it may be a good place to start for a group like this. I'm a...hmmm...what do you call it - a closet writer? I write a column for our church association seminary and I dabble in it here and there. Basically, if there is a need/deadline, I'm all over it. I take every class I can get and read every book I can find - hence tons of knowledge, but none of the wisdom of actual application. I too, like some of you, lead a busy life. I write best in the car on the commute to work, or laying in bed trying to fall asleep. My characters develop and morph and I try vainly to keep up with them (all without recording the first thing.) I'd even though about buying a mini-tape recorder to talk to myself while I drive, but I never committed. (Maybe I need to be committed!) It's on my one-of-these-days list I'll remember when I'm 83 and too old to care (no offence to any of our older farm sisters...) I'd love to be able to talk and commiserate with fellow writers. Please, TJ - start us a henhouse and see where it takes us!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

Edited by - HollyG on Mar 14 2011 11:14:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Writer's groups are a great way to go. I write genre, specifically Fantasy, and have other friends that also write genre. We get together once a year for critiques, which is great when you need an entire book looked at. We are even offering a Writer's Retreat at the B&B once a year so folks have a place to get away to focus on writing.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  1:16:39 PM  Show Profile
I have notes for a novel, co-authored with my best friend. She is a freelance writer and is busy putting food on the table. I have lots of extra time, but I seem to study my grammar text book more than write. I am caught up on it. Isn't that what an editor is for?

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  6:00:02 PM  Show Profile
I write! Alas, though, I am not an official sister! But I am in the process of writing maybe a short novel for teens.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  6:46:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm a writer and I work as a magazine editor.
I get to write a lot of articles and it is satisfying to see my work in print.
My specialty is process (how-to) and I have been working on a process book -- but I have written short stories and outlines for novels too.

While I can't say that I don't get time to write, like some of you I don't seem to get time to write about the things that matter most to me.
I would love to join a writers' group; it might be just the push I need.

And Trish, please do keep studying your grammar book. Editors deeply appreciate writers who bother to clean up their work. Once a manuscript has been accepted, a copyeditor will clean up the finer points of punctuation and grammar but your line editor--your main editor--should be there to only to rearrange passages as needed, trim where necessary and, in general, help you get your work ready for its debut. Sloppy presentation, even if the core of the story is really good, does not inspire confidence and in many cases, can greatly increase risk of rejection.

One of my favorites is the Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

Thank you all for another wonderfully encouraging thread,
Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419

Edited by - Lady Woodworker on Mar 14 2011 6:52:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  07:16:19 AM  Show Profile
Well, it sounds like we should give a Henhouse a try, and see where we take it!

So... here's a writing assignment! What do ya'll think we should name it???
A Pen in our Pocket?
Right Writers?
Scribes on the Side?
The Write Stuff?
The Write Sisters?

(ooh I kinda like that last one... but then I'm an aviation nerd too!)

Your thoughts???

Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I like The Write Sisters, but I don't care what we call it, as long as we just do it! I've checked this post a thousand times waiting for "instructions." I'm even planning on setting some time aside on my Spring Break from school to get some thoughts down on paper and organized. Maybe we'll be up and running by then and I can be held "accountable" by my Sisters!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  3:16:51 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Holly.
Afraid I don't know anything about a Henhouse. Is that sort of like a chapter?
I've been around here a few months but still feel pretty new here.
Looking forward to the writers group!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  3:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Really like the Write Sisters - can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  3:38:38 PM  Show Profile
The Write Sisters it is then - I'll send in the request as soon as I finish typing this - if you guys do the "subscribe to topic" thing below your new reply, it'll let you know via your regular email when someone responds to this thread, so you don't have to keep checking. I finally figured that one out!!

So once the Powers That Be (Brian?) sets up our new henhouse, I'll let you guys know via this thread and we can take it from there. Sound good?? I'm excited, hope ya'll are!!

Hope to write back soon!

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  4:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great! Thank you so much!

Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  08:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the instructions. I just subscribed. Never realized what these buttons would do! I can't wait to get in the hen house! I'm so excited!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  2:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey again!

I sent the request in; hopefully that will work out... the Henhouse is sort of like a chapter. You have to ask to join a particular Henhouse by sending in a request email... our threads are kept separate so the farmgirl world at large doesn't have access. It will just sort of keep things neater I think.

How should we run it? Where is everyone with their writing? Do we want to post chapters or writings that we have questions on, or would like (gentle) critique for? (pardon my poor grammar, I'm just thinking out loud...) Shall we have a writing buddy to keep us accountable (10 pages per day! or per week?!), that sort of thing? Having never done anything like this I'm a little at a loss. But we can write the rules as we go - or have no rules at all - whatever works for everyone.

Personally I'd like to be able to send a scene to someone who was familiar with my genre (Christian fiction) and ask for a critique. Suggestions, brainstorming, things like that. And have some accountability as well, as far as trying to meet a certain number of pages a week. That kind of thing.

How about you guys??? What do you want from the Write Sisters?

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile
I do like the idea of getting some feedback from the others in the henhouse. Suggestions are great and as far as I'm concerned - more brains - bigger brainstorming!

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Any Writers Onboard? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page