Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Wheel of the Year/Sabbats/Celebrations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Wheel of the Year/Sabbats/Celebrations Next Topic
Page: of 17

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  3:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Julia,

Thank you very much for your explanations of wands, brooms, and alters. It was very easy to understand and I am grateful to be able to understand the meaning and use for them so much better! Thank you!!!

Hugz Til Next Time!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  4:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Goddesses! thank you for all your kind words!!! I would like to point out a significant typo, however. I wrote about Judy's wand made with herbal 'ouches'...I nearly choked on my water re-reading that...I meant, herbal Pouches!! just to be clear..

Georgann, I absolutely don't mind you asking me anything. I really am an open book. Am I a solitary? No one has ever asked me that before, so I've never pondered the question. Now that I've been asked, I have to admit, that although I understand what others mean when they have written about solitary practices, I don't know how that applies to me as an all-encompassing definition. I am solitary in many of my practices not because I don't like other participants, I just don't have any. I have found this kind of spiritual expression so personal that involving others changes the dynamic entirely. Many times I have performed rituals with close friends who are working on various aspects in their lives, ie releasing negative energy, trying to find some balance..etc (Kate what you described when sweeping your home of your mother-in-law's energy was an excellent example and it represents a ritual that is very, very personal.) When I am together with my friends my personal "stuff" tends to take a back burner so I can focus on those who have purposely come to gather here. I imagine that gatherings with other practioners can be both powerful and frustrating. There is no dogma, no right way...Therefore, when we gather we have opinions and we all know that opinions can clash despite good intentions. I have found with my gatherings that preparing people ahead of time is extremely helpful. This way, we are all on the same page. Everyone knows what to expect and everyone can bring their own special sense and power to the group.

I will also add that witchery, witchcraft and paganism in general have for centuries been targets for negative press, speculation, rumors, gossip and what not. Still, so much of what we do has strong pagan roots!
*Blowing out candles and making wishes...this is a medieval practice to ward off evil spirits in the coming year of one more age....one more year of potential hardship and toil. People began 'wishing' for good things to happen. The keeping wishes secret came during a time of strong superstition and hexes...no one wants to jinx their good fortune!
*Easter Egg Hunts (ever wonder how eggs and the Easter bunny came to be symbolically joined?) this was an ancient pagan ritual (I can't remember the year) but it represents the Celebration of Fertility and new life, which is why it is always celebrated in the Spring. The egg represents fertility and life and the bunny is a prolific creator of life, hence, their pairing over time. There are many theories here but one has to question the timing of the Christian calendar in terms of when Christmas was designated as the birth of Christ (religious theorists and anthropologist believe he was born in the Spring) and Easter as his death and ressurection for example.....Those were dates that just happened to be highly celebrated pagan rituals of Yule (hence the word yule-tide) and Fertility Rites...This may have been a well planned way to squelch pagan practices and replace them with Christian celebrations, which by 400AD was becoming an incredible movement worldwide.
*Menstrual Moons..remember that many ancient people followed the cycles of the moon and not the sun to determine time and season. Women have known for centuries how connected we are with our menstrual cycles and the lunar cycles.. Centuries and centuries ago, this was celebrated in women...the bearers of life.....With the advent of patriarchal socities, menstrual cycles became dirty, evil, taboo... Because women experience them, women became dirty, evil, taboo and the worst and most pervasive story equated women with the fall of man. Women as the ultimate temptresses...men as the victims to their lustful ways..Suddenly the celebration that a young girl ought to experience when she has her period for the first time became something she was embarrased by and ashamed of. It will take generations to recover from this tragedy!

I hope this offers some more interesting things to think about and discuss. If you would like a play by play of a ritual, I'd be happy to share..you'd be amazed by similar things you already are doing and may not even realize! We all have spiritually pagan connections whether we want to believe it or not..the fun is discovering them!

Have fun!!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  7:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I also think it is very important for me to point out that my thoughts about rituals, tools and pagan practices in general are entirely my own opinion. I am certain there are priestesses out there far more well informed than I. So please take everything I say with a hearty grain of salt! It is all such a learning process, some have journeyed farther than others but we are all still learning and celebrating. Still, I'm grateful what little I know is being helpful..Many happy regards,
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  9:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I just have to say quick that re: the whole priestess thing....I am not a Wiccan, and it sure sounds like you are not either...therein lies the dogma of Witchcraft.

Just wanted to point that out. I have a few other things to add but hubby needs the puter right now to check on the weather....

Ill add later or tomorrow Re: sweeping and mooncycles :D

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  05:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone taken any formal pagan/wiccan/priestess classes either online or via any other source. I have seen things that interest me, and one is advertised I do believe in Sage woman magazine and is the school of seasons and breaks then entire year down into seasons. This school has always held interest for me.

Blessed Be
Gipsy of the Road AKA Enchanted Wood Goddess

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  08:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

Not me...I think we learn best w/o instruction when it comes to magik. It is something in you and all around you, you need only open your eyes IMHO. Plus I am very sour about dogma and those kind of classes tend to teach dogma. You know, You have to wear this color when you work this sort of ritual and spell, you have to have your altar arranged a certain way, you have to do full moon/ new moon rituals every month, you have to be a dualist (it seems that most wiccans are dualist, you know, god and goddess, lord and lady, etc.) I know witches who are not dualists, and I would venture to guess that if they really thought about it, they would come to the conclusion that since male and female are equal, they are really one, sexless consiousness.

ugh. dogma.

That is not to say that bits and pieces couldn't be used to further your own life, but to subject to rules liek that for the sake of belonging or having a title, is wrong IMHO. We were all born with these abilities, it is whether or not we choose to tap in, so to speak, and use them. We were the healers and the midwives and the ministers to life and death and love before there was such thing as degrees of Witchcraft. We did it all based on what we knew about those things, what we taught ourselves and what was passed down from our foremothers.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  09:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Tasha, beautifully said! I couldn't agree more and would be skeptical of those 'institutions' offering degrees or certificates of some kind as if to make themselves appear more legitimate. I do think, however, there are some class offerings from women who would probably have an awful lot to offer..I think your intuition, Kathy, would be your guide in terms of how to make that choice. It seems to me that there are probably a handful of women who could act as our foremothers teaching, instructing, and awakening those common sense longings that are culturally surpressed in our modern world. Tasha, you strike me as one of those teachers!
There is a woman in Seattle who is the spiritual leader of Gaia's Temple and if she was to ever offer classes, I'd be all over it! There's something about her that is incredibly insightful and inspiring. She strikes me as someone who would be more than willing to share what she knows from a personal perspective in order to enhance what others want to experience in their own lives. I resonate with this a lot better than rules and regulations too!
Have a gorgeous day!
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  5:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Interesting to hear all of your opinions on this very subject. I was reading an online source that was talking about the opening of the first "witch school" in a little town in I think Illinois. It was originially in Chicago. The community uproar finally, I think, caused it to close its doors, but they may be open again. Can't remember what the latest is. Anyway, many online sources that seem to be reputable do not condone certain schools, but rather as Julia and Tasha referred to, as learning one woman to another. Tasha, I agree with you, I've been dogma-ed to death in my lifetime. I have allowed myself to be lead into certain organizations that promised love and hope and everlasting life, but in reality preached death, sorrow, fear and guilt. Fear and guilt are the two most powerful motivators on the face of the earth, and I have grown very weary of allowing myself to succumb to these tactics. Time is a precious commodity and through the years, looking back, so much has been wasted from fear of destruction and guilt from enjoyment of life's simplest pleasures. So as you can see my, liberated from religious oppression friends, it has been a long road for me and I have a long, long way to go.
Please keep this thread going....Oh, and Julia, thank you for your answer to my question. I understood what you were saying and I do like yours and Tasha's way of practicing. Also Kathy, my dear friend.....you too. You are such a light in my life!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Jul 17 2006 5:29:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  08:06:18 AM  Show Profile
I've been off for a few days and didn't notice this topic is active again, YAY I am really getting a lot of enjoyment out of reading this thread.

Julia, you offered to speak about your rituals and I for one would love to see what you have to say, because I could use some ritual in my life, and an example of what things can really be meaningful..

I just started Tuesdays with Morrie and have really high hopes for a chance to expand myself spiritually.

Being an atheist has it's plusses and minuses, the biggest minus I run into is the skepticism that goes along with it, once I backed away from religion I have had this great sense of freedom, but at the same time I lost what little spiritual connection I had..

I think that the dogma we are talking about runs hand in hand with this ready made walmart society, the "folks in charge" just hand it to you all wrapped in a bow.. "this is what you believe, this is why, don't do this or else, any questions?" It really doesn't allow for much self discovery.

Because of this I struggle to come up with my own spirituality and I am working on it, but it's funny because when someone like for instance Julia has this beautiful thing they have worked out for themselves with out rules or convention, I think it's inspirational and fantastic, but when I try to come up with something for myself, the skeptic in me is my worst critic, that part of me seriously makes fun of the rest of me when I try to associate a deeper meaning with anything.

I never used to do that, it's just gotten worse with time.. and you would think that after having kids I would have become MORE spiritual and open, as opposed to more critical of myself. Thats not the place I want to come from when raising my kids.

I remember when I was first married, I would snuggle in next to Hal at night before bed and just be able to vividly picture all of my good feelings and love and hopes just radiating into him from me where ever we might be touching.. and it seemed real and special.. and now I think of that and wonder what happened to it.. I don't feel like that anymore.. it's sad because I think my kids would benefit from that depth of feeling, but it seems too silly to take seriously, and yet it really makes me sad to be without it.

This is really really long, and I hope it makes sense. I'll stop now because it's getting to be a bit much.

Anyone get what I'm trying to say?

B.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  11:15:07 AM  Show Profile
we write most of our own rituals around here. I do them more than Rob does, though we did one together last night. He is druid leaning (which makes sense, in his british isles heritage there are druids :D ) and so we had a counsel fire and did some oracle divination. He wrote the ritual yesterday and we started a fire and let it burn and charge through the day until about 10 last night when we went and sat on a blanket, he cast, and then we meditated together and read from his animal oracle.

I am leary to honestly lend more than just basics to anyone, because spells and rituals should really be your own. I borrow bits and pieces from places sometimes when I haven't the time to write something completely myself. Really, honestly, borrowing spells in entireity or rituals, or paying to have them written for you, is really a bad thing. You never know the frame of mind someone was in when it was written, or the intent they had, etc. A spell is charged when written, and if the charge is wrong for your intent then all hell can break loose.

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  11:23:41 AM  Show Profile
I have a question for all you farmgirls who are witches..how did you know you were one? Or how did you learn to be one? Do you think it is something certain people are gifted with? Or do we all possess certain energy, we just have to find a way to use it?
Kate
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  11:39:01 AM  Show Profile
I believe we all possess magickal abilities inately. SOme choose to tap in to it and others repress it, for many reasons, religious upbringing, familial issues, etc.

I also believe that because it is something we all have, all you need is you. You learn about things by doing and experiencing.

I knew I was one, when things started not making sense. When I started picking up books and reading and learning, then i started asking more and more questions about what I was told to believe. I figured out that I didn't have to believe just because I was told. I learned for myself and decided for myself. I did white knuckle to my christianity for a long long time, but after I left Grace's dad, I started coming out more. I first got interested in tapping in though, when I was about 16 or 17.

I ramble....I think I answered the question.......

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  12:27:51 PM  Show Profile
So....did you have funny experiences like bending a spoon? Or wishing someone negatively under your breath and it came true?
Or wishing that the light would come on and it would??
I guess I am sounding a little like "bewitched" or "sabrina the teenaged witch!"
Just wondering...share if you are comfortable..
Love
Kate
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  1:44:15 PM  Show Profile
notsomuch......i dont have telekenesis...:D

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Would you say it is a lifestyle rather than a religious choice? I think it would be like breathing. Just part of your natural being. As inseperable from who you are as the color of your eyes or the timber of your voice. A spiritual rebirth to the energy force within your being.

Whimsy Girl, I know exactly what you are saying. That deep burning passion does dim a bit....what with the pressures of children, and living and making ends meet. We become so familiar with our spouses that we...gasp...start just assuming that they will always be there. I miss that wild spark of when our love was new and fresh and exciting. We were so poor and had only each other, but that is all we needed. I do long for those times again too. But I don't know if either one of us would be able to physically withstand it! LOL....I guess we have settled into a routine, take each other for granted. We do have opposite belief structures, so we do not have that together. I do think that "worshipping" with ones spouse truly helps build a deeper bond of love, desire and respect. Tasha and her husband sound like they are building a life, physical and spiritual together and those bonds will be strong. My hubby and I have very strong bonds also, but that aspect...common worship...is not there, like a big hole...incomplete. He is an atheist and I am still searching. Sometimes I think it would be so much easier to be an atheist. Phew....boy am I rambling....sorry.

Well, again, thanks for sharing everyone,
Georgann

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  3:12:16 PM  Show Profile
When we married he was an atheist, and I was searching. I spent 3 years looking at many religions, and philosophies and really fell for the humanist atheist point of view. I agree that the common worship may be the feeling that I am trying to describe but wasn't putting words to.. I think I am also envious of the fellowship I am seeing here as well!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  4:10:02 PM  Show Profile
My husband has been an atheist probably for all of his life. I have been to many, many houses of worship....you name it, I've been there.....really not joking about that. Pretty pathetic for someone almost 50 years old. When we had children together, I felt a real need to get them to a church. He would not allow it and threatened to take them to an atheist meeting....he doesn't go to them....but felt strongly that he did not want them, "indoctrinated into a life of guilt and fear and male dominance." WOW, did that ever smack me right between the eyes! His point was taken. Anyway...ever since that time, almost 8 years....I have had such deep doubts, such heart wrenching searching. Then I read the loving messages from Tasha and Kathy and Julia and I again wonder. Perhaps there is a succulent wild woman inside of me trying to acknowledge that Goddess within. Perhaps my daughters need to experience what a true woman has to give, not what others expect her to always give...does this make any sense? I understand your feelings of envy. I think it is perhaps a longing for wholeness. Not a jealous motivation.
G

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  4:47:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt George

Would you say it is a lifestyle rather than a religious choice? I think it would be like breathing. Just part of your natural being. As inseperable from who you are as the color of your eyes or the timber of your voice. A spiritual rebirth to the energy force within your being.

YES!!!!!!!

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  5:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Hello all,
Just wanted to throw in a few petals here for your meditation.... Christianity, imho is not a "male" thing. If you look closely at the Bible you will find that God took great care to outline how women should be treated, He took great care to make women from a rib(it could have been anything...he didn't even need to use anything from the man) because He wanted to stress the importance of a union between us and at the same time be very clear that we are equal and of same value. The bone was not taken from the foot so we as women would be under man and it was not taken from the skull so we would be over man but from the rib so that we would reign side by side. That IS Christanity. The women is always reminded by ill motivated men that a women is suppose to subject herself to a man but the men never finish that whole passage...the man is to treat her as Jeasus treated the church and always forgive, care for and die for her..not something you hear often. I totally agree that Chritianity has become a male thing and sadly so...but not because it is in the Bible but because men through the years imho due to the seperation from their connection to God and the earth have become driven by the need to control and dominate..and we as women because we are the sweeter more connected to earth and the magic within have remaned calm and kind and caring despite it all. ( I think cuz we are better ) So because of our inner strength and inner peace we acquiesced finding other ways to fullfill ourselves and remain connected to earth. But as the years went by and we felt less and less content with what we had so sweetly let go of, we began to fight and flail about in some very unpleasent ways (more muderers, those who sell their soul, become like men (which the world calls B**** or Wh**** because they don't know how to take it) etc). I do not think it is religion that has brought about this problem and I do not think religion can make it go away. I think we as women need to take back our standing without loosing ourselves or our souls. We need to stop lashing out at men(cuz we gave it up...you teach others how to treat you), religion, and most importantly eachother! We must strenthen eachother and help eachother find our connections and find our strength. We must take back our equal and rightful place here on earth and reconnect with the power and goodness we have hidden inside. I understand why we did what we did all those many years ago. I am sure it started with Eve filling guilty and Adam willing to take advatage of that guilt and controling her with it...and now history repeats itself for generations. But I feel if you read the bible closly and forget what all the menfolk have told you, you will find a God who went through great lengths to bring the power back to us..we were not ready ...Mary Magdaline was selling her soul...Jesus showed that she was not evil or the only one selling her soul by writing all the evil things the church leaders were doing in the sand. Jesus did have several very close women frinds and cared for his mother so dearly that on the cross dying he asked his friend to care for her like as if it were his own mother. But what would have the people had said then cuz you know they would say it now if Jesus had gone around with a bunch of women?!? Then he would have been a womenizer and a pimp and a ....need I go on. Until homosexuality became as big as it is today no one thought anything of a man with male friends or a women with female friends. Jesus had to live His life above reproach (sp?) as much as was possible with us humans who always want to see the worst possible case. And why do you think in the Bible it always went out of the way to point out the women liniage Jesus had not just the men as was already tradition back then? It was to empower us..but we did not take it. And now that men have so much control over so many religions we have decided that it is the religion...no it is the men in the religion. I guess what I am trying to say is summed up in a story my mother told me as a child...
A women was having a terrible time at work. The bossses were terrible and the environment was awful. She tried and tried to fit in and to understand the whole place but never could. She felt out of place and un-wanted as if she were just a pretty face. Her husband owned stock in the company and was often a shoulder to cry on when she returned from yet another horrible day. The husband explained that he had invested because he felt that the company had great potential but fully agreed with his wife that it was in a horrible state and needed much work. Every day she would come home and complain to her husband who listened and offered comfort. She often wondered if she would ever make it without the knowledge that he would be there for her at the end of the day with his kindness and empathy. He often asked her if she should maybe find another job or another occupation all together, but she always insisted that this was were she belonged and would find a way to fit in and make it work. This went of for some time then one day she came home calm and seemly at peace. The husband was so thrilled and hugged her sweetly and said honey are things better? Nope she replied but I know what I am going to do! I am going to divorce you!

Religion can be jacked up and we may not fit into many of them, but don't divorce God because of it!

Just some petals for your meditation!! Hugz!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  6:14:53 PM  Show Profile
Not to be rude, but this thread isn't a thread to evangelize in. those that are the main participants are witches and others are interested.

I am not a Witch because of the male dominated Christian church. In fact Christianity lead me to where I am today. It is heinous and assumptive for you to think that Witches are Witches or Pagans are Pagans because they are man haters. My husband is a Pagan.

please don't hijack our thread here with that kind of presumption.

Makes me think of one of my favorite bumper stickers about being a feminst: Sorry I missed church, I was busy becoming a lesbian and practicing Witchcraft.

There is nothing I hate more than stereotypes, so please save it....

*mentally sweeping this thread* :D

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose

Edited by - GaiasRose on Jul 19 2006 6:22:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  6:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I have so appreciated the spark that's been generated here. I think all of your 'so called' ramblings have been sound and beautiful and reflect where you are in terms of your searching along your own journeys. I would highly recommend that your gaze not be too far off in the distance though...those searching eyes desperately scanning the horizon for 'something', for you may miss the fragile flowers beneath your feet, or the beautiful butterfly sunning itself on a leaf, or the sweet fragrance of jasmine riding a gentle breeze..... all of these subtleties provide us the greatest moments of magic, spiritual connection and reminders of our purpose, which is to enjoy and share Life. This, my friends, is what I believe Great Spirit, Mother Earth, Goddess, God, whatever you choose to label that Energy, is.

For me the separation of religion and Spirituality came early and easy in life. Spirituality, it seems to me, is bogged down in political and administrative hoopla in most religions and certainly the one my parents were trying to instill; roman catholic. Fortunately, for whatever reason, I was able to transcend all those rules, regulations, and doctrines placing them somewhere "other" than what could apply to me. I was always able to view them with speculation and even humor remembering some of the 'rules' my mother had to endure as a teenager. Like the one that prohibited her from participating in sports whenever she had her period. That rule was very real, serious and negatively effected many young girls and yet others ignored it, like my mother, recognizing that as real as it was it somehow didn't apply. I also know that being white, middle class and a woman makes me incredibly privileged....and although I could ignore much of the doctrine of the Church as a child, many were enormously oppressed and are still oppressed to this day. This is where Religion and the politics therein are not what spirituality had in mind. This is where people get lost...where the journey becomes mired in thick brush that is painful and cumbersome to traverse. Still, being in a Roman Catholic upbringing offered me some wonderful spiritual moments that certainly laid the groundwork for who I would become and continue to evolve into.

Despite rules, dogma, opinions and history, Spirituality, to my mind, is what we all seek in some fashion regardless of what path we follow...spirituality is the 'thing' we can assign to those moments that take our breath away...leave us feeling humbled and grateful...remind us that Life is indeed worth living...

I suppose that my Great Spirit, my Goddess and my God are all wrapped up in Life...I can not separate one from the other..god is not a separate entity that I must pray too.. Goddess is not a separate spirit for me to honor and praise..Great Spirit is not an ethereal being that I can connect to periodically...For me, Life is all of these things and it encompasses my every waking moment....

Bobbi..you're an antheist and I completely respect your rebellion! Love it, in fact.. But you are also a highly spiritual woman although you doubt. Perhaps you need to be reminded of the fruit trees you left here in spokane when you moved away and the pleasure, the deep, inexplicable joy they gave you..the pride, the nourishment....I can't help but think this was quite a spiritual connection you had with the spirit of that tree and the spirit of those fruit..plums, as I recall.. I have a beautiful vision of you in my mind; You are swinging your daughter on that swing at MaryJane's Farm. There is a calm in the air after a hectic drive, a disappointing reality and yet relief of having finally arrived at the Farm...there's something there for you...something you're tapping in to, as Tasha likes to say and I like very much...something....can't quite put you're finger on it but you're going with it.. You are swinging your daughter..The tree is tall and noble..the swing has a easy, gentle glide that is relaxing and joyous. The sky above the golden wheat field is different shades of blue as the sun is setting. You are smiling! Life has offered you all kinds of reminders of its wonder and its beautiful presence just waiting for you to recognize and honor it. You have by taking that time with your daughter and Life has smiled upon your face. Does one need the doctrine of God or Goddess to be present to this feeling? Does one need a ritual written or a rule to guide someone to share that feeling..that joy? I believe that in terms of spirituality, no...it is free expression, personal and unique. Religion would find me contrary claiming that indeed people need guidance...perhaps the masses do, but I people live Life uniquely among one another.

Tasha, I want to know more about your opinion of sharing ritualistic information. I found your perspective fascinating..serious in tone...I have no problem sharing the rituals I do precisely because they are so completely contrived for particularly people in particular moments in Life. I follow only the elementary guides of spell casting and only those that resonate deeply with me.. Bobbi, I will write for you a letting go ritual we have done here many times..basic and something I believe you can express in a infinite number of ways.. Tasha, your description of your ritual with the fire counsel and reading of the oracle left me craving more!!!! if you are willing please share more.. I know very little about Druid practices and would like to learn...

Kate, you are a darling! Witchery, spirituality and all that pagan fuddy-duddy business has next to nothing to do with any of the hocus-pocus mainstream media has portrayed. This kind of practice asks that you turn off your television and head out into your yard, garden, etc and take a moment or two to Simply Be. This state of mind is something we have grown very far from and it is essential to sensing those moments of magik. You must be...be still...be calm...be joyful...be open..be mindful...be compassionate...be tolerant...be considerate...be breathing....be smiling...be rejoicing..be Living!

Georgann, is this practice a choice/lifestyle? excellent question.. I suppose I would answer with another question; How does one know when they are in love? Love is intangible..we can not touch it..smell it...see it..We sense it.. We know it.. We feed it and we are nourished by it.. I suppose the practice of honoring Life as a diety resonates with this.. For me, it is something that has always dictated my every move. As I write this I realize I need to think more about the question. I will ponder it deeply.

Bobbi, you are envious of the fellowship going on here? Are you not participating? Are you on the outside looking in? Please, do come in oh, doubtful spiritual one.. your beauty and light are radiant!

Ladies, I'm awfully academic.. I know.. I write.. I know... It is who I am and I thank each and every one of you for wading through my words.. I hope you find them....well, you will find them whatever you will.. I'm just delighted you allow me the venue to share!
Blessings and magnificent sunrises (beginnings) and sunsets (ends).
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Tasha,
I am very sorry you felt offended by what I said. I was not trying to evengilize at all. I was responding to things people had said throughout this post about christianity and Mary Magdeline etc. I was of the oppion that we were all discussing this and I am searching along with many here to find a way to be empowered as a women and as one connected to the earth in whatever way that may be. I was not sterotyping anyone,but making comments on things we have been talking about. I do not nor have I ever felt that those following witchcraft are against God at all...they may be but not because of their witchcraft but because of their personal choice. Does that make sense?!? I am sorry you took things they way you did, I thought I could be comfortable to voice my opinions and thoughts, but I guess I was wrong and I am sorry for anyone I offended.

Hugz Always!!

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  6:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Buttercup, I was writing my thesis while you posted yours.. I need some time to think about it before I respond. There's quite a bit there to consider from the Christian/ Biblical perspective, which is not something I believe literally or factually. I will say that I think there has been some kind of misunderstanding or miscommunication that paganism/witchcraft has a strong element of 'male-hating.' I don't believe that to be the case at all. What I think you're hearing are women who are not following the rules of a patriarchal society and one that pursue empowerment..not even equality with is somewhat irrelevant. I think what may be difficult, however, is if you believe the Bible to be factual and literal depictions of real situations and happenings throughout history. This may be a barrier that will inhibit you from fully embracing and understanding the alernative perspectives being expressed here. Let me think about it more though...
peace,
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  6:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Julia,
As always so wonderfully put!!! I love the way you respect and embrace others ways of finding themselves!! I agree with you full heartedly that Bobbi has her own spirituality, I believe we all do! I am enjoying the input here so much, because I believe,that we can learn from eachother as women and embrace the power within. What power or to what extent will be a personal choice of course, but I am thrilled to find so many here following their own paths and finding such conections to things in their life!

I look forward to reading more of all of your thoughts and post!

Hugz!!

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  6:57:37 PM  Show Profile
"indoctrinated into a life of guilt and fear and male dominance."

I know EXACTLY what he is saying about the fear. I was raised in a very evangelical household and I lived in fear for the longest time, that is what brought me to say in my earlier post that I have experianced a HUGE surge of freedom after getting away from religion in general...A quote I really enjoyed was "the best way to create an atheist is to force them into a religious education against thier will" Forget who said that but it applies to me!

As far as taking my kids to an atheist meeting, I wouldn't want to cloud their judgement in that way either.. I believe that once someone settles on something and really commits to it, they keep filling the cracks with any morter they can in order to keep it structurally sound even when presented with something else that can hold value, if it holds something contradictory to what they have built for themselves, they tend to reject it... just human nature.. it soothes the soul to feel sure about something like that... I want to give them someting I didn't get, I want them to have the opportunity to really learn to figure things out and be presented with all the facts and ideas and then let them build a framework for their own lives that supports their own temperment so that they may have a better chance at feeling spiritually full.

The posts by the gals here have really moved me as well. I am always looking for something to bring a more spiritual side to my life as I have chased so much of it away.. I'm sort of all or nothing and because I can't choke down the ALL of one religion or another, I am left with nothing until I find a way to fill it appropriatly with something that rings true to my own ears.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hahaha!!! Succulant Wild Woman... I have a book by that name by SARK I can only imagine you are making reference to her.. she is an inspiration! In fact her books have been instrumental in my breaking free of the fear and dissaproval that has haunted me as I have started making some of the choices that I have been coming to.

"Perhaps my daughters need to experience what a true woman has to give, not what others expect her to always give...does this make any sense?" It does make a lot of sense to me, I too have girls and I want so much for them to grow to be the kind of women who are proud to be who they are, and who can live a full life with out being intimidated by others too much to fully embrace everything they have the power to be.

You are right, I'm not jealous, the envy I mean is the desire to have a group in which to belong, where people can help to fill eachother up by sharing their wisdom and insights.. I know thats what the farmgirl connection is in general, but a couple of my favorite contributers have found their way to this thread so.... I guess I just enjoyed what I was reading so much that I had to integrate myself into it, if for no other reason than to get insight from those who have really figured themselves out in spite of the emphasis that is put on everyone.. particularily women, to conform to the norm.

I have another board that I frequent for atheist and agnostic parents, but even though I tend to agree with the theories, as a whole the folks who frequent those boards can be a rather cynical bunch, but you start mentioning ways to integrate a spiritual feeling into the mix and you kind of get the "stink eye" from everyone :) You can still try to foster a little everyday magic, or meaning into your life without having to change your entire belief.... I am just trying to get a handle on how to do that in a way that my inner skeptic wont kick my own butt for!

I am enjoying talking to you Georgann, it looks as thought we have a lot in common... I am going to find the link to an article that really helped me find a little bit of peace while I am still working things out.. it's a little long but very refreshing!

Regards,

A pro-woman, but pro-life, non-partisan, atheist, who's very conflicted, but really loving this thread,

Bobbi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Holidays: Previous Topic Wheel of the Year/Sabbats/Celebrations Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page