Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Wheel of the Year/Sabbats/Celebrations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Wheel of the Year/Sabbats/Celebrations Next Topic
Page: of 17

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  5:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Buttercup - I feel so strongly about what I believe in, I am passionate about it and tend to rant on so please forgive me if I sounded harsh.

I have always known I was "special" in regards to being a witch - hahaha but my sister had the Halloween birthday. I seemed to have a special attraction/connection to nature and the elements. I had an aunt that I also believe had a special gift although we never talked about it. She was also well versed in herbal medicine. I also had an aunt that was never without black nail polish - I come for a long line of what I like to think are Portuguese Gypsies.

The power to take hold of our lives and beliefs and the power to change our little portion of the world lies within all of us. It is just taking that first step, which you have done with your questions. I remember having books on witchcraft when I was a teenager and got so scared of anything evil happening to me I threw them in the trash along with the Ouiji board.

I do believe in spirits and reincarnation - I have had experiences with animals that have crossed over coming back as well as people - I read my own tarot cards and have had a special connection to them for years - Miss Cleo I am not but I can tell you that when I read for myself, my readings are very accurate. Someplace in my dreadful office I have angel cards also that make for a nice reading. Some people do not think the tarot is accurate - I do - I have seen it. For instance, and you already know this, the Death card is often the most dreaded card but in fact, it is a good omen of change - I find it enlightening to just flip though one of my decks and pick out cards that appeal to me and study them, or better yet, the cards I don't like and find out what they are trying to tell me.

I invite you to take time to spend in nature, to take time to spend quieting your mind and just listening to all the wonderful knowledge that the Mother shares with us daily. That is why I have my special altar. When I am in my sacred space I feel such a strong connection to my soul spirit that it is undeniable that this does exist. Take a walk on a quiet path and see what objects speak to you - this could be a pretty colored leaf, a colored stone, a pine cone, a tiny patch of brilliant green moss. Pick up something and take it home with you and place it where you will often see it. I believe it invokes your mind to connect to nature on a higher level.

Get some really good books that deal with nature and the elements - I am not saying Witchcraft 101 or anything like that but rather, spend a few hours in a good bookstore in the New Age (or what ever else they are calling it now) section and just browse the titles, read the jackets. It is a great way to learn!

It is wonderful to explore new ideas. If I live to be 100, I will still have never learned or shared enough!

Blessed Be!
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood - PS, I turned my deer white by being nude in my pool hehehe - only joking, they are my most precious gift!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  5:56:47 PM  Show Profile
BRAVO! to all you brave kindred spirits.BLESSED BE! randi
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
LOL Kathy!!! If I did that the deer would do more then turn white..I think they would run ( or fall in a heap on the ground in giggles!!)!! lol...

Anyway, thank you so much for your answers! It is hard for me to do what you say (in regard to books) since I am in Okinawa and there are not any english book stores here. I am a huge book fan and that would be my ideal way but I guess I could research online. It just seems more confortable asking a gal then searching. Some of those websites scare me honestly. I am interested in the inner power/connection to Nature type beliefs and do not know where to begin so this thread allowed me to ask a friend rather then shift through a lot of stuff that may or may not be correct. Does that make sense? I feel a deep connection to Nature in ways I thought were like everybody else until I grew up. I am a person that will reck before I hit an animal. The one time I did hit a bird (the poor thing flew into my van as I was driving) I cried and prayed for the bird and that it would not suffer and would either heal or die quickly and I appologized to God for the evil that happens to Nature all around us. I cringe everytime a bug hits my windshield and often say a silent appology. I hate killing anything and if I need to (ie bee trying to sting me or roach in my house) I always feel terrible and say sorry to it and try to kill it quickly so I do not cause it pain. If I can I prefer catching things and releasing them to a better place. Is this weird? Or is it just a deep connection to Nature? I am also VERY emphathetic toward humans too. Things people see one way I often see differently, more from how the person is feeling then how others are precieving them. I have been this way since very young. Nothing makes me happier then to share in someone's joy and I cry at every funeral I have been to even though most people I did not even know...just the pain in the room and in the people around me made me cry. I pray everytime I hear a siren for the people in trouble and the people helping. Does anyone else do this? Am I just a very emphathetic person or do I have a deeper connection? Hmmm things to figure out I guess! Thank you again for your help in understanding your views and beliefs!
Til Next Time...

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  7:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Buttercup, Kathy and Tasha,
I want to thank you for this enlightened discussion. Buttercup you are asking such wonderful questions and Kathy and Tasha have answered them in such a loving and wonderful way. Thank you again. I too have been different my whole life and like you Buttercup, I feel others emotions, very, very deeply at times. I can tell where someone hurts and why they hurt. I can look at someone and feel their emotions...not their thoughts, it is something much different. I am feeling a certain amount of peace from Kathy right now....
I too have questioned and searched all of my life...no joking...I was the only five year old questioning the priests and preachers why they did one thing and said another and was called cheeky many times. But it was an honest heart felt question. My grandmother was a seer. Only she saw death...so I have never explored that gift in myself. It was a burden to her. My mother says there were many nights she would lie awake as a child and listen to her mother moaning over what she was seeing. People would say to her...Lela, if you see me, please don't tell me. She forsaw my sister's death...as an infant before I was born. She even forsaw her own death, although, she was not told it was herself. My mother thinks I have her gifts, but I have been taught, not by my mother, that these were not from God that they were evil. One must not meditate, because that lets in evil, one must not question or seek, for ye shall receive evil. I, for many years, was in an evangilistic group who preached love and kindness, but practiced guilt and fear....a very dark time in my life trying to transform itself into a time of light. If one is a believer in Christ, then one must remember that the Bible says: "And you shall know my people by the love they have for one another." And it is very, very difficult to believe people are Christ's people when they hate, steal, cheat, kill, lie, destroy, etc in the name of Christ or their God. I agree with Kathy that women have been oppressed throughout time. Even today women are kept down. Occasionally a few break through...Mary Jane is living her life in a wonderful way. Kathy and Tasha have had the strength to break the mold too. And it looks like Randi and Shirley have too.
Please keep this thread going. I may not be very outspoken on this subject, but I am reading it with great interest. I know a few sites to set up a free chat room if anyone would be interested. Just email me. (Sorry if I have rambled a bit here.)
Thanks again,
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  7:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Hugs Georgann!!!!
I am glad to know there are others who sense like I do yet believe in God. There are so many stories of prophets and prophetesses in the bible and people that cared deeply for others and miricles. But there are also stories of those that practiced an evil form and caused pain and evil in the world around them. I guess I just want to make sure whatever path I follow it is a path that brings good to the earth and others. I will e-mail you.

Hugs to all!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  7:54:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
What is a witch exactly?

Well, I am a Witch. I listen to the world around me and pay close close attention. I am sensitive to energies both from those here and those we don't see. I use herbs and know how to focus energy to make things happen. You know, I don't know how to define a Witch other than that.

quote:
Are there good ones and bad ones by choice or are the bad ones just ones that allow their gifts to be used by evil to cause harm?
There are good and bad people who use thier talents and their abilities for ill....just like in any faith structure.

quote:
In your oppions, is being a witch a choice or a gift or both?

I think both.I know it is both for me.

quote:
Can anyone be a witch?
I think anyone can, but most are too scared because of their previous religoius training, and cultural identity coupled with the misconceived notions about Witchcraft. Therefore, they don't pay attention to their gifts....which is funny to me about Christianity. In Christianity there are gifts from God, tongues and prophesy and teaching and others....these are gifts I have as well, but I attribute them to paying attention.

quote:
Why would a person want to be witch?
I can't answer for anyone but me. I am a Witch because it seems like that is the direction my life is suppose to go. I am simple, I am country, I love nature and pay attention to every facet of my surroundings. Being a Witch holds me close to all of that. Along with all of that, I am an ordained minister, training to be a midwife, birth my babies at home, heal my family naturally, etc. I am wise, I believe, and that is what Witch means....the root word 'wicce' means 'wise one'

quote:
Are their people that are very in tune with Nature and care for it deeply and feel a conection to it that are not witches? and if so what are they called by your understanding?
yes. they are called anything....atheist, christians, budhists, druids, taoists, shamans, indians (native american), etc. etc. etc.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  8:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thank you so much Tasha!!!! This helps me understand so much better! I really am thankful for your time and kindness in explaining this all to me and I am sorry if I am annoying anyone with my million questions but I felt it an opportunity to learn something I do not know much about and wish to understand.
Thank you!!!
Til Next Time....

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  8:12:24 PM  Show Profile
oh honey, don't feel bad...there are so many questions in the world and if there are some I can answer, I will. :D

Anytime you have a question, feel free to ask.

Bright Blessings, honey!

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Tasha, wonderful answers...again...thank you. I am currently reading the book: The Green Witch by Ann Moura. I have gleaned so much information about the origin of religions that I truly did not know or had not opened my eyes to. She is a historan by education with an emphasis on studies of religions in her quest during this life and she seems to be able to distil it down to it's roots.
I think that is fascinating that you are an ordained minister...may I ask what faith? If that is too personal...please disregard that question. My grandmother would have been called a witch or shaman. She was of Choctaw decent. The Choctaw were a matriarchal society, so if she would have been a full Choctaw many years ago she would have been honored and accepted, rather than scorned. I have one daughter who is a very old soul. When she was a toddler, she would talk about past lives. She doesn't do that now, but everyone around her felt it and heard her stories. I know that I am merely her caregiver in this life as perhaps she was to me in the previously.
As a nurse, I feel I do have a healing gift. I have held the hands of many souls passing from this life. I know there is something larger than we ourselves.....I've felt it and I've seen it.
Ok, kind of a directional turn here, but my favorite television show is and always has been Bewitched. It showed me as a little girl that there is a minority of persons out there who are magical, who work good deeds and are beautiful in there actions and are witches. I have collected witch dolls for many years too. I have an extensive children's book collection about witches....that are my favorites and that I shall never part with! Two of my favorites are: Sarah's Unicorn....FAB book and Mrs. Biddlebox. Wonderful books that I might suggest for all with young witches at home.
Thank you again for your wonderful answers!
Georgann
Oh, Buttercup......I'll watch for your email.....G
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  8:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Georgann you know me all too well - I am at peace, and tired and very very happy all at the same time. I know where I am supposed to be now and I have the courage to see it through. I have the tape measure and found the sheet for the measurements which I promise to get for you tomorrow.

All of you have so much wonderful things to share and we can share here without fear of persecution. I know exactly how you feel about killing things, I let bugs go all the time with very few exceptions - really big spiders that may hurt my cats or dogs. I do not believe in any creature enduring suffering.

I can pick through my book shelves and see what I can send you Buttercup, if you would like. I know I have one book that is called The 21 Lessons of Merlyn - A Study in Druid Magic & Lore and this book has never failed to give me a profetic dreams. If you look up in a search engine for Llewellyn Publications you will find a mass array of books that will interest you, even if you just read what they are about. They will also send you a free New Worlds magazine which is also a way to keep abreast of their new books. You might like reading books that are associated with The Goddess also - very empowering I find them.

Well gals, this tired old crone is off to put dogs out for their last pee and make a cup of hot tea and try to relax. I am looking forward to all of your replies.

Gee, where is Nancy Jo? She needs to pop in!

Love & Blessings!
Enchanted Wood Goddess

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  8:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Ann Moura's book is great. I used part of an incantation from that book for my midsommer ritual!

How neat about your Grammy!

My ordination is Spiritual Humanism. It is an ordination anyone can get, but I felt compelled to do it. it encompasses a lot of what I believe and doesn't seek to change me...:D

I am loving this discussion.....

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  8:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sweet Kathy Girl...
Was just giving you a rest from emails, and I truly felt peace when thinking of you today and yesterday. I am so glad that my feelings are right. I feel and KNOW you are on the right path. Follow where it may lead my dear friend. I was about to fix a cup of tea myself. Crone? ha....I "spoke" with Nancy Jo. She is such a joyous spirit that one....My I feel so blessed for my MJ farmgirl friends.

And Tasha.....I'm losing my noodles....sorry. LOL
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  8:53:48 PM  Show Profile
ha ha...it was cute and funny......no worries! go find those noodles in a cup of tea............

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  10:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Ohh I missed the end of the conversation...had to get my son off the school bus (he goes for therapy summer sessions)

Thank You Tasha!!!

Yes to Kathy...please let me know some books you know of that I can read to understand this better.

And Georgann...it is there I need to go check and see if you responded or not.. enjoy your evening and blessed dreams to all!!!

Til Next Time Hugz!!!

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  11:01:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! I want to thank each of you for your insightful and respectful questions and answers. What a wonderful discussion. There are 3 things that have struck me as I have finally read through the entire thread. The first being the idea of oppression and how it relates to women in particular. I loved and appreciated the topic of Mary Magdelene as a prime example. She was denied the status as a disciple precisely because she was a woman in a patriarchal society. The best way to dicredit her was to fictiously make her a whore. She regained some status to coincide with the fact that throughout written and oral history she remained a main character by having her redeemed/saved/forgiven her sins, etc. This kind of oppression is still so deep, so profound in what we as women experience today. We must apologize for asking too many questions...for being curious...for being assertive...for being intelligent... for being leaders...

This brings me to my second thought which relates to you, Buttercup. I can not thank you enough for asking questions. For having the curiousity to seek answers instead of succumbing to fearing what you don't know and understand. This is one of the greatest lessons our children have to offer us and that we constantly squelch as we age. Children are insatiable information seekers and it takes great patience to listen and answer their inquiries.. But they are fearless and persistent in pursuing answers and I greatly admire that. We must never apologize for having questions and wanting answers so we can live a life without fear. We must never apologize for asking questions that bring us closer to better understanding and more tolerance for our fellow human beings. I firmly believe we are called to reflect the image of God which is nothing more than Love...and this requires acceptance, tolerance, compassion, humility and self-lessness.

This brings me to my third point which is the idea that those of us who lead a life that is unconventional in terms of organized religion are Godless somehow... So many people believe that the only way to know God is to participate in some kind of Christian expression. Christianity like all world religions has seen many transformations over the centuries.. No religion is stagnant and to understand religion one must always understand the political and social climate of the time. One of the most successful campaigns in the most recent century is the promotion of "The Way".. in order to be saved, to know God, one must declare Jesus a personal Lord and Savior. This also echoes the hysteria of the 16th century where anyone, particularly women, who didn't declare Jesus as Lord was ruled a witch. This also spilled over to women who threatened a growing male medical profession. Those women who were once solely responsible as midwives and herbal healers were now becoming targets for evil spells that caused deaths and horrible illnesses. The worst offenders, of course, were mid-wives who were known to kill babies. These poor women and innocent victims were tortured and told to admit their "sins" and beg for God's forgiveness, in a public arena and if they continued to profess their innocence their torture continued for all to witness. The women watching the slow suffering deaths of their aunts, sisters, neighbors and even mothers were being taught a very deliberate and clear lesson. "Do not question and go against the grain of male convention or else." To be labelled a witch which reflects the systmatic killing of women across Europe and even in the US in the 1600's was the worst thing a woman could ever experience. This level of oppression is something we are still dealing with today.

Today, witches are still seen as old, ugly, green, alone, bent, scary, evil, unloving, mysterious, threatening etc. Remember that the targets, the women being labelled as witches long ago were predominantly widows, midwives, spinsters and women who were somehow deformed or handicapped. In other words, women who were a strain on society or their families, or more importantly women who were successful and thus posed a threat for men. Remember that many of the women persecuted and killed for being witches were those widows who were wealthy. Interestingly, after they died, their land and possessions were seized and the money was distributed among the judges, the lawyers and clergymen ruling against her. Oppression for women runs deep. It is profound and something to this day we fight.

Women today who seek the Divine and find the Sacred Spirit with the Goddess are those women who resonate with a desire to elevate and ressurect, once again, the empowerment of women.

The Goddess is that Divine Sacred Spirit we all possess as women and something that over the centuries has been surpressed because of fear and ignorance. It exists today because we as women are still horribly misunderstood. We still battle serious oppression: "don't cry like little girl." "You throw like a girl." Even though we know rape is a crime of violence we still have a system that is skeptical about those women who are victims..did they ask for it? We have a society where domestic violence is rampant and there are countries still where this is normal.. "Just keeping a woman in her place." Women competing in the workforce believe they must behave like men to get ahead. "It's a man's world" we still hear today. Women who are strong leaders are often seen as cold and unfeminine. We are still terribly unbalanced and struggling to find who we are and how we fit.

The Goddess reminds us that we are an equal half to a whole called Life. Without male and female interactions, life does not procreate. To say that I don't believe in God because I chose to worship the Goddess is misguided. I would guess that most women who pay homage to the Goddess also pay equal homage to God... This God, however, is not simply and only confined to Christian definition, which has done tremendous damage to the identity and validity of women. The Goddess demands that we as women be regonized.

Going back to asking questions and being curious. When we seek and find and learn and know we are that much more enriched in life. All religions have been damaging in some way or another. All of them. Yet, all of them possess beautiful worship and reverance for life as well. We have a great deal to learn from one another. Therefore, it is critical we ask and seek so we can be unafraid, so we can be strong and tolerant, accepting and celebratory. Only after we have achieved this, I believe, will we journey closer to becoming more whole. This, this wholeness as humans, is what I believe will bring us peace.

Blessings,
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  11:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
WOW JULIA...so profound...well said, VERY well said.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Edited by - TheSoapMaven on Jul 10 2006 11:11:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  11:34:42 AM  Show Profile
Julia and All,
Beautiful!
We must indeed embrace our childlike nature and return to freely asking questions...and surround ourselves with people who, like patient mothers and fathers, will help us with guidance on our unique journeys- without of course using very narrow understandings of faith and worship to 'define' ourselves or others. By the way- your little imagine fairy pouch has been a little guide for me this week as I tear apart our new house trying to make it sacred for our family- so thank you for the inspiring words!
Loving all you wonderful women and the stories you all have to share, Rebekka

Julia- I tried to email you earlier but did not get through I suppose- do you by chance have any more med prarie skirts, or could you make me one. I am quickly growing out of all my favorite skirts!!! HAA- the magical mama belly and it's tricks;)
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for that Julia! I have a tendancy to take the route of the cynic in discussions of higher powers so I don't have a ton to say... I have to admit that the thing that brought me to this place is a complete distrust for todays fear based religion.

Your take, is very beautiul and I agree whole heartedly that woman today are confused..the hardened ones who act like men to make it in the world, or the ones who take the route of the mainstream media in order to "sleep their way to the top" All that does, in either aspect, is reinforce the idea in everyones heads that woman behaving as the feminine creatures they are, "don't have a thought in their silly little heads" It's really sad to see so many women giving up their womanhood in order to "make it" because make it they may, but they are giving up something much more important in order to get where they are and hurting many more woman in the process through the general perception they are creating!

I love reading your posts.

Bobbi

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  12:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka, you Goddess! I thought I emailed you back!.. Yes, I have 2 praire skirts left; one long white and the other short black.. I will check my email again. I did get your message, so I will email you with more details.. No worries! I want to make you a different one anyway..the narrow waist band is tricky with a growing belly. I want to try a wider one. I think it will feel better! I also wanted to thank you for your kind words regarding the fairy blessing..which word did you chose?

Bobbi, what an insightful response. I get awfully insecure about my writing sometimes..not because I think it lacks content but rather I tend to be long winded! I appreciate your encouragment a great deal. Thank you!

There are many women who are caught in the middle of a new feminist movement that in my mind seems to be emerging. I think it would be a great disservice to harshly criticize the women leaders of today, who for whatever reason may have compromised their sacred spirit somewhere along the path. We may not approve of how they earned their positions of power and leadership but the point is, they are in the spotlight as women. They are carving the path for others to not necessarily follow but to know that the possibility exists. A wonderful example is Hilary Rodham Clinton. Regardless of anyone's political beliefs, we are seeing for the first time a woman as a real potential candidate for president. I think this is amazing regardless of who Hilary is and what's she's done to get where she is. For me, she represents the possibility for my daughter that she may one day be president if she so desires. It is my job however, to guide her along the path of maintaining her sacred feminine spirit. It need not be compromised.

This, is what I believe is the new feminist movement. Remember that the process for women earning the right to vote took 70 years! Incredible! Less than 200 years ago women were not allowed to be educated; to read and write and obtain skills beyond sewing, cooking gardening and child-rearing. Women have craved equal status and in many ways have been outspoken in demanding it. In the 60's the feminist movement that many of us know and understand as the beginning of the movement forced the issue of women in the work place. It forced people to take a hard look at equal wages for equal work...more opportunities for women..those things outside of teaching and secretarial duties. The women behind this movement were tough, vocal and smart! We owe a great deal to them because they carved the way. They asked the questions. They forced the issue. To their credit, much of what they fought for we no longer think about. Women are doctors, lawyers, judges, pilots, farmers, business owners, corporate leaders, astronauts and now maybe even a president!

What we must consider in the 21 century, however, is how to regain the balance of the feminine spirit. How to be strong, confident, intelligent, assertive, forthcoming, full of integrity and honesty and at the same time be what we are as women; feminine, soft, gentle, nurturing, intuitive, mothers and sisters, and the vessels of life. Those things had to be sacrificed for a while in some peoples' minds for others to take notice. Well, we've been noticed thanks to them and to a host of others who didn't compromise their feminine spirits; Mother Theresa, StarHawk, Maya Angelou, Lady Bird Johnson, Audrey Hepburn, MaryJane Butters to name a few. These women are powerful reminders that we can be entirely ourselves and still be every bit as powerful and influential.

So Bobbi, there is no need to be cynical. We are facing a turning point... a powerful moment in time where there have been some who may have done things we wouldn't do, but they remain examples of possibility to be achieved some other way. We are looking toward that other way now. We are coming to a place where women are beginning to question the definition of beauty. The worshipping of youth and how superficial it is. We are questioning our own wealth and gluttony. We are teaching our daughters to express their feminine spirit and our sons to be more sensitive and understanding.
We are embracing traditional roles not because they are oppressive and reflective of a desire to go back in time, but rather because we are realizing there is artistry from our grandmothers and great- grandmothers that could be lost if we don't respect and learn from what they experienced and knew. We are seeking balance again so that we can compliment and counter a world inundated with masculine energy that is wild and somewhat uncontrolled. We are the balance to that and I am hopeful when I consider what we can achieve!

We are women. We are beautiful. We are charged. We know ourselves and the way........

Blessings to you,
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  10:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Julia,
Thank you for your words!! I find much truth in them! Some get annoyed with my questions, hence my appologies. I ask not to burden or bother others but to learn and grow so I can for my own self find the path that is mine and live a full and empowered life! So I always appologize not so much for the questions themselves but for the way in which they may be precieved by others. Also I have found that many people who's views might be different then the cookie cutter mold that so many follow, often are a bit guarded and walled off because of the expierences they have seen or expierenced themselves and the feeling that others do not wish to understand but to tear down what and who they are. So I always am sure to ask with sensitivity and kindness so that they may know my motives are to learn and lead my own path not muck their's up. I learned a lot from this conversation and have more questions I need answers to, but I will continue on and question life as I always do, so that way my mother, my daughters, and friends who may not at this time question as they might, may find answers and strength through me and learn one day for themselves to question and grow and find their own truth and journey. We are so privileged to be able to do that and I hope we all shall be so blessed!!!

Hugz To All!!!

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I just found this thread, I love it!!
So many of you beatiful, strong farmgirls are such great writers..so many have expressed my feelings exactly.

I am like Buttercup, I have a deeply personal connection to nature, animals, all living things, but I am unsure of the altars, brooms, wands etc...I am interested especially in the broom Tasha uses to sweep away negative energy! Should I make my own broom for this??? I need one!

Could someone knowledgeable in the symbols and tools of "earth Worship" and Witches share the meaning/uses of altars, brooms, wands etc....

My closest friends call me a witch, I feel or see the future, if I really concentrate I can "see" in my mind's eye where someone is hurting or sick. I have this super weird way of always knowing what time it is, although I never wear a watch, and my husband's alarm clock is the only visible clock in the house!!

Kate
ps..I just want ya'll to know how wonderful it is to hear of women embracing nature..today's world is full of over the top, sensational, loud, over stimulating garbage..just turn on the TV, (fear factor comes to mind)
oh, if we all would make the time to commune with nature.

pps...I feel blessed to be part of such a loving, and diverse group of women! We can all be religious or nonreligious and still respect and love each other!!! How cool are you!!
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  12:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Kate, thank you for your response! loved it.. I don't have a specific altar that I use, but I do have a special place in my home (on top of my piano) where I always have candles, my angel cards and so forth. In my very humble opinion, an altar in nothing more than a special place where you can channel your thoughts, prayers and pleas using symbolic imagery such as candles, statues, pictures, stones...just about anything that resonates with you in that particular moment.

A wonderful example of the "idea" of an altar would be this. Have you ever wandered along the beach looking at sand only t discover some shell or piece of driftwood that has somehow 'spoken' to you. You glance down at it and something tells you to pick it up.. You do so and you turn it over, examining it's every aspect and suddenly you have some sense of peace or blessing. Something special has just transpired and you feel a connection. You wander to a log with your newly found treasure and rather than put it in your pocket and take it home, you place your special trinkey on that log. You look at it and smile. There is a sense of thankfulness that floods your being for having encountered nature's beauty..You walk away and suddenly sense the birds are a little louder, the waves are roaring and the wind is blowing and you feel great.

This is an altar experience. You have created a space where you've been able to experience and participate in a connection of reverence. You found something to use to expres your connection to the natural world that symbolizes your wonder, gratitude, and humility.

Altars in the home function in very much the same way. These are places to collect symbols, representations of those experiences in life that keep us connected to spiritual experiences that keep us grounded, balanced and peaceful. There is alway someone defining what needs to be on a true altar; a bowl, a candle, purple rope, salt etc.. but I find those definitions confining for most people. They certainly have their place for concentrated spell-casting, but that's another tale altogether!

You altar is whatever you want it to be using whatever makes you smile and feel good.

A wand or sword (I have a sword)is yet another symbol or tool. It can be anything! Judyblue eyes made me a beautiful wand from a stick that had herbal ouches attached to it. LOVE it! It is a tool used to channel your thoughts, prayers and pleas.. you can point your wand and send your thoughts in that direction for whatever purpose you desire. Mind you that the witches creed is to "do no harm." So all casting is meant to be positive..even if it means casting away negative energy. A wand is a physical something that you can hold that helps keep you focused on what it is you're doing and why. All tools and symbols are designed to bring the mind and body together to focus on your intentions. Truly, nothing more.

Think about how different you feel when you go to exchange a "toast" and you don't have a wine glass or bottle or cup..something to clink with someone else. You don't have the symbol, the tool to participate in the ceremony of "raising your glass in a toast." It feels weird..something is missing.. Thus a witch's tools act in very much the same way.

The broom has a rich history..truly a fascinating story in its evolution and what it has meant to 'witches' over the centuries. Today witches use their brooms for cleansing purposes only. I use my brooms to clean the area where I'm going to perform some kind of ritual. Last year I used as my broom a handful of hollyhocks tied together... the year before that I made a broom with amaranth flowers. I do have regular brooms but I tend to use those to clean my dog hair and cracker crumbs on my kitchen floor! my outside ritual brooms are made from nature and the plants tend to let me know what I need to use.. You can use virtually anything you want..

The only restrictions that exist when creating brooms, wands and altars are only the limits of our creativity..

I hope this helps!
Happy altar building!!
many smiles, Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  1:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Extremely well said Julia.
The way you explain things makes it very easy to understand instead of using all those words that are in the witch,pegan,etc books, that your trying to learn from, but the way they explain things sometimes make it more confusing.
keep up the goood work
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  1:23:53 PM  Show Profile
Julia, thank you for your explanation of alters and brooms. Wonderful. You have a way of explaining that makes it seem so natural and beautiful! Are you a solitary? I hope you don't mind my asking, but your depth of spirit really comes through your writing and your explanations of your practices. Thank you again,
Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  1:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Julia~
I have had those type of experiences when something "speaks" to me...a book, a rock, items at thrift stores....
Thanks so much for explaining all of this!
It is sad how things can get all turned around in the views of others, and word spreads...before we know it, midwives are being burned at the stake.
It is very important to allow others to shed light on subjects we don't completely understand.

Yesterday, while I was cleaning, I invisioned all of the negative energy in the house (my mother in law had been here, bringing bad news of father in laws cancer) as I swept the floor..I just kept sweeping right out the front door, and you know, I think it helped!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions
Kate
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Holidays: Previous Topic Wheel of the Year/Sabbats/Celebrations Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page