meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  7:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Those linings from cereal boxes also make great places to roll out your pie crust. Use no flour, roll between 2 of those waxed linings, use ice water, and your pie crust will be really flaky. Thanks for all the nifty ideas. Please keep 'em coming!
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  3:23:31 PM  Show Profile
I just went to 2 second hand stores where I found material to make neck wraps and eye pillows. I also found some great kitchen curtain material that I will use for aprons. Plus a really nice picnic basket with service for 4. All of this for just $8.00 YAH HOO!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  5:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tammy,

Way to go!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  8:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Bonnie!
Hey , I never thought of unraveling a sweater to get yarn. [Uh oh...got to find some more space for craft supplies now that I have a new source!].
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  04:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Tip of the Day:
Be sure to check out the merit badge requirements. . . you all may have earned a few!! Especially the " Get it Together" badge, not to mention the beginner level of several others

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:48:26 AM  Show Profile
It's never too soon to get ready for camping and summer. Yesterday I pulled my frozen huckleberries from the freezer and made jam. This morning I pulled to chickens and I'm going to can Chicken soup and can chicken broth with any leftovers. While cleaning in my freezer I found two large bags of mixed vegetables and will use them in the soup and I didn't buy anything to do this project.

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

CasieD
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Casie
Edgar WI
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  07:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Finally made it through this whole thread and now subscribing!!

Great tips everyone, please keep them coming!

Here is one from me - In the morning I brew half a pot of coffee but only drink part of it. The next morning instead of brewing another pot I use the leftover cold coffee which is now pretty strong, and make iced coffee from it. So I only have to turn on the coffee pot every other day and I don't waste any coffee. It's a small thing but it works for me and tastes as good as the fancy iced coffee.

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:11:41 AM  Show Profile
I do like ice coffee and that is an idea.

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:29:34 AM  Show Profile
A couple tips from the "TIGHTWAD GAZETTE". make a purse from blue jeans. turn them inside out.sew across just above the crotch, and cut off the legs. Make a strap with the denim. lace a bandanna or piece of fabric through the loops.
Also with the denim, make potholders. Make change purses with the pockets.
Old mattress pads can be cut up for baby changing pads. also for linning potholders.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:17:58 PM  Show Profile
I love all the wonderful tips! The iced coffee is great.

I have started my seeds for heirloom tomatoes. I will have a LOT o plants so I plan on selling them at the farmer's market (along with other items). The money I make from the plants cover the cost of seeds, soil, canning jars, ect. So my garden growing & food preserving is free!

An inexpensive gift for people who like to cook is seasoned salts. To purchase them is really expensive but I make my own. Take salt and then add different herbs for seasoning. Try italian, citrus, cajun ( the list is endless). I put them in pretty tins stacked 3 high and tie a pretty ribbon around it. Everyone has loved them

Tammy ~
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Woooo Hooooo, ya'll all should be getting badges just for "Female Ingenuity". I love this thread and I have learned so much fom you SISTERS. Ya'll be sure to try the washing soap (not really detergent). I have made mine and hooked three other women up with a batch with great results. So inexpensive to make and its really fun too!...makes you feel real good, you know? My DS tried it and its really something when you can get a 17 year old to notice something and voice his preference. He then said that now we can stop using the ones in plastic (it kind of piles up if you have to take it 45 minutes into town for recycling) So NO MORE!

I don't use an expensive shampoo and rinse but I deluite it by 1/3 to 1/2 with water. Still has plenty of suds and cleans just as well.

Ya'll Keep um coming. Your all GREAT!

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  4:30:43 PM  Show Profile
I just tried growing my own sprouts for the first time.....I never bought them (unless on clearance) at the grocery....now I can have them any time I want! 1 wide mouth mason jar with ring, one clean nylon knee-high, and 1/4 c. of sprouts....presto! an entire jar of sprouts!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  4:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Heres a really dumb question. Where do you find the sprout seeds?

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  5:44:43 PM  Show Profile
seed companies...or ebay...I think you can buy anything on ebay...

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  5:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Ok I'll Get some None of the stores down here have them.

PHR Farmgirl #1093
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  7:49:30 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited. Today on Craigs List someone was giving away 8 wooden boxes that are 2 feet x 4feet x 8feet. We picked them up and they are PERFECT for raised beds. We are going to removed the plywood from the bottom and repurpose that wood into garden baskets to sell at the farmers market. The frames will be used for the raised beds.

I check the freebies everyday. Sometimes it is weeks before I see anything and then other times there are great freebies for days. We have even gotten a hot tub through the free section of craigs list.

Tammy ~
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  06:25:25 AM  Show Profile
When I make dinner, I make enough for at least 2 meals, or sometimes make several at once. We either eat them the next night, or I freeze some. This avoids the temptation to stop by fast food or a restaurant on the way home from work after a tough day, when I don't feel like cooking.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Great tips everyone!!!!

The other day a local company was trimming trees along the ditch and left branches there (firewood size). They were from Apricot and Apple trees. My honey and I loaded our pick up bed with them and brought them home to season. He wants to build a smoker and we thought these would be great to use next year while smoking meats.

Tracy,

Here is a link for a great recipe for Tomato Soup:

http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-thick-and-rich-creamy-tomato-soup-low-fat-option-350894

I made this the other day and pureed it in the blender. I had enough to freeze and it came out excellent.

My husband loves meat in every dinner. I have made these 2 recipes in the past and he enjoys them both. (The Pierogi recipe does have 3 slices of bacon to sprinkle on recipe). For him to love these they HAVE to be good, he is a meat eater for sure :)

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=50400000108395

Easy and very satisfying.

I will post my Black Bean Torte recipe in the Farm Kitchen :)

~Before we started buying half a cow I used to shop at Grocery Stores very early in the morning the first day of the new sale. Often meats that were on sale the previous week would be marked down cheap to make room for newer sale items. I have gotten Boneless Chicken Breasts .99 pound and Pork Butt Roasts for the $2.99 each. Worth checking out :)

~I hate wasting food too. If I don't think that my husband and I will want to eat leftovers more than twice in one week, I freeze the leftover portions and mark them.

~I make my own moist dog food for our girl. She doesn't get it all the time but once in awhile. When trimming chicken or other meats, I place the less desirable pieces (not fat) in a freezer container and when I have accumulated enough, I make dog food. I use leftover veggies (no onions or garlic!), freezer burned veggies, sweet potato skins (and flesh sometimes) and the ends from asparagus (because she loves that and sweet potatoes :)). I place the chicken, veggies, and rice and water in the crockpot and let cook until meat is done. Once cooled I grind using my Kitchen-Aid and place in small containers to freeze. She loves it!

~Iced Coffee is so good! You can also save some leftover coffee for ice cubes that way the Iced Coffee doesn't become too diluted.

~Check local mills for grains or flour. We have a local milling company and it is much cheaper for me to purchase flour through them. I pay about &10.00 for 25#'s, it used to be $7.00 but prices have increased. They also have a Cream of Wheat type cereal that I buy for inexpensive too and it tastes better.

~We used to be able to purchase wood scraps (oak, hickory, cherry, etc.) from a locally milling company that made flooring. It's not available anymore but we would pay $15.00 a pick-up load and the hard woods would last forever in our wood stove.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  4:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I haven't been on the computer much the last week - I can't believe how many great ideas. This is an amazing thread... I'm still doing well with writing things down (a real eye opener)and no eating out - but since we have been eating everything at home, I'm noticing how much I spend on groceries and see this is an area I need to pay more attention to... Its still better to eat at home - financially and health-wise...

I read a couple interesting frugal gardening tips - use your toilet paper rolls to make starter pots - see link - (http://www.urbanorganicgardener.com/seeds/starter-pots/toilet-paper-rolls/)- and another one was to use wire hangers by cutting and bending them as staples to hold down landscape fabric. My husband buys a lot of stuff for our garden - so hopefully, these items can be marked off the list...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  7:32:18 PM  Show Profile
I love the coat hanger/garden staple idea, why didn't I think of that? I was just trying to figure out how to work garden staples into my budget:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  10:31:34 AM  Show Profile
I mentioned the garden staple idea to my husband and he has a bunch of wire left from when he was doing suspended ceilings that he's going to make staples from for me - how cool is that?

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  8:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Hay SISTERS. I've got a few more ideas..... I seem to always end up with plastics..bottles, salad take-out dishes, milk jugs....you know the type. Well, CAREFULLY cut the bottoms off about one to one and one half inches from the bottom and use these bottoms to start your seedlings in. They don't hold alot of soil so they need to be watched to not dry out. Poke a few small holes in the bottoms with a nail for drainage. Place on cookie tray or foil (curl up sides) and place in window or green house. Foil will keep water from spilling over to floor or table.

The tops that were cut off can be used as a funnel to fill bird feeders or what ever. The tops can also be used to close up chip or bread bags. Just push the bag thru the opening where the lid was and TADA! Closed up tight.

Don't forget to use your rain barrells/tubs at drain spout. To keep children or pets out just place chicken wire over them and secure.. Be sure to use this water before mosquitoes find it.

And I love to hang clothes out to dry and freshen in the sun...they dry in the cold air too.

I have been upcycling clothes from the thrift store for years....making quilts and aprons with cute fabrics. Thick brushed cotton found in baby clothes makes wonderful baby quilts....oh so soft....great for gifts.

PHR Farmgirl #1093
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  06:35:05 AM  Show Profile
WaHOOOO!!!!!
Glad to see so many wonderful ideas!!!! Keep them coming, I may have started this thread, however, I am learning just as much as everyone else!!

~ another idea for the upper half of the large plastic soda bottles, great to cover tender seedlings once transplanted into the garden. It gives them the extra protection from the wind, acts as a greenhouse and with the small opening at the top, fresh air and water too!

~ Someone asked about seeds for sprouting, don't forget to visit all the folks that advertise in MJF's magazine. . . Bob's Red Mill has a wonderful selection of everything we all love. . whether you grind your own flour or want to buy it ground, need seeds for sprouting, cereal grains and sooooo much more! Oh, and did I mention you can visit them online and order their catalog?????

Okay, Here is the Tip of the Day:

Partnering up with a local Farmgirl! Yup, if you have a Sister near you, if you combine your purchasing power you can save in many ways.
50lbs of flour is cheaper than 2 25lb bags, depending on where your placing your order and how much you spend, the combined purchasing will result in free shipping. So find your partner and get'er done!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  06:55:12 AM  Show Profile
We got to do a very nice barter last week. Our friends needed to borrow our trailer to take their ATV in for repairs. His wife works in a local factory. This is what they gave us for the use. 3 55gal barrels, 3 5gal pales w/lids. I'm so excited. at the hardware store I'd have to pay $6 for a pal & lid

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile
We all know prices are rising. . .There is sooooo much we can do as Farmgirl's to "not take part in the rising costs" Here at MJF we have been taught many new skills, opened our eyes to the possibilities of what we can accomplish and now we are sharing our tips and ideas on being thrifty.

I need to pull out my books and look for the "coffee" substitute that our pioneers used. Chicory comes to mind, there was also a bean from a tree that was roasted with wonderful results. For sugar, there are many substitutes starting with Honey, there are sugar beets, herbs such as stevia, and so forth. We do not need to buy into this whole "crisis" situation of doom and gloom that is out there. . . ever notice how the Amish community continues to flourish year after year?

For each step we take to become thrifty, it is one step towards self sufficient living. So let's keep the Sisterhood strong, keep sharing your ideas, barter with each other, share with those in need, even purchase from one another's stores. Together we will be strong and achieve so much!!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 2011 and Thriftyness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: