HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  9:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey... there are fancy expensive spas here that serve water flavored with cucumber slices...lol. I have made it at home and especially love it in the hot summer months.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  04:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Everyone!! Well the sun is shining today so I thought I would share this Tip of the Day! As the sun shines in, I keep those curtains wide open and close the others. As the sun moves from the front of the house to the side, I will adjust my curtains accordingly.
This allows the house to be warmed by the sun and the curtains help hold in all the warmth! We won't run the wood stove for 4 - 6 hours today saving us time, energy and wood!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  06:39:45 AM  Show Profile
I was at the store yeaterday and bread was on sale. I almost grabbed the loaf off the shelf when I stopped to read the yellow sale wign. Bread, normally 4.99 on sale for 4.79. Are you kidding?? whole wheat bread for almost $5 a loaf? I vow to dust off my breadmaker.
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  06:59:49 AM  Show Profile
I am sooooo glad I found this thread....this is EXACTLY what I need. Subscribing to it right now.....

As for my contribution, there has been a lot of discussion about refrigerator orphans...those containers that land up in the back and forgotten about....that when discovered are green, moldy and utterly gross....well, I found a solution. For Christmas I got some $$ and I had been putting this off and off....I finally bit the bullet and bought a Foodsaver (very low end model) but even though it's a low ender, it has an attachment where you can also vacuum out air of containers...and get this... CANNING JARS !!! So I bought the Foodsaver, some bags and a few of the nifty attachments...now NO MORE GREEN MOLDY suprises in the fridge. If I save a bit of leftovers and I don't think I'll eat them in a couple of days....it's put into foodsaver bags and frozen. This sucks out all the air, and no more freezer burn. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the trouble of freezing something only to rediscover it later with freezerburn. Yuk.

Foodsaver has a website, and if you subscribe they'll send you emails when stuff is on sale. I bought a foodsaver for my father in law and the website was running a special that if you bought $180 worth of stuff, you got a $80 discount. The unit was $99, and I got $80 worth of supplies free!!

I know $99 seems like a lot, but I guarantee you, I've already saved that much in groceries. A little frozen bit here, a little frozen bit there...and the result is a good nutritious lunch a few days later.

The canning jar attachment makes it possible to vacuum pack dry beans, flour, sugar, etc....(note, if you are canning you still have to do so in the normal fashion, this is something different)...I found out about this on YOUTUBE of all things!!!

I can't wait to hear more ideas from all the MJF ladies -- let's keep each other motivated!!!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  07:21:48 AM  Show Profile
Welcome 2quilter!! So glad you have joined us!! Thank you for sharing about the foodsaver. . . I have wondered whether it was worth the investment or not. . . now I am convinced it is

Meggy2, I am in agreement with you on this one for sure! I plan on making a squash pie and fresh baked bread today. I am so tired of wasting my money on something that's not good for you or overpaying for stuff that is

Quick note, I also have a thread running under "farm kitchen" with tips and challenges there. . . might find some useful tips that you could use as well.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  07:44:11 AM  Show Profile
Not much new to add - but I've decided to use cash for just about everything. It makes me more aware of what I'm spending. Also, I'm writing down everything. Seems like a bit of a hassle, but its worth it. Even when I thought I wasn't spending money, I really was... This is something Amy Dacyzyn suggests. I also firmly beieve if we're grateful for what we have, we don't have the feeling of "need" - at least not as strongly. And I have soooo much to be grateful for. I like to go outside in the morning and drink my tea while the dogs run around. I love my yard - even though its not a farm, we have an acre with lots of trees and its lovely to just be out with the quiet - even when its cold... Still loving this thread - lots and lots of great ideas. Keep 'em coming. Thanks everybody!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  07:59:13 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had my Great Grandfathers old account books, I remember seeing them when I was little,he wrote down every penny that was spent. Pages and pages of these entries. I would love to read them now to see what he was buying. My aunt glenda said he wrote down everything, even put dates on things like sheets as to when they were bought with indian ink. I have a little wall shelf he made and it says 1878 in the drawer. So guess he must been very thrifty.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  08:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning,
Oh Joanna- We are under a flood watch here. We had lots of snow, cold, then the snow level jumped to 4500. But as a result the temps have been high 30's (warm for us this time of year) So while I was canning and cleaning I had windows and doors open the heater off. The house got a good airing out.

Yesterday I managed to convert some of my home canned tomato sauce into 9 quarts of spaghetti sauce found 6pks of mix, ground some flour up and baked two loaves of bread and even traded one for a dozen eggs. I never made it to the frozen huckleberries. But while I was cleaning another cupboard I found a box of cake flour I forgot I had (go figure) so I made a cranberry (a can I found hidden) swirl cake, yum! It sounds like a lot but I didn't break a sweat. Today I'm taking a break from the kitchen and I going downstairs to sew.

Working from home, working the land
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  08:13:18 AM  Show Profile
While I pulled all those lids off the canned tomatoes yesterday I was getting ready to toss them when the "light bulb" came on and I had a DUHH moment. I spent money on reflective tape last year to keep the deer away from my fruit trees. Well I washed them and put them in a bag. My plan is to punch holes in the lids and hang them in the trees this year.

Farmgirl #1599
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  08:18:36 AM  Show Profile
I want to comment on the use of pallets. I started using them for compost bins after watching Square Foot Gardener. Used them for years. The pallets became real hard to come by and found that the pallets were decomposing faster than the compost. Then I switched to cement blocks. Kinda expensive but will never wear out and can be recycled at any time. Glad that some of you can still get free pallets.

I also want to comment on the FoodSaver. I love mine. I purchased my first one back in 99. Used it a lot in my Y2K preps. It quit on me just a few weeks ago. I came right in here and went to Amazon.com and ordered me another one. I use it almost daily. I love the fruit jar attatchment. It keeps stuff air tight that you would normally store in plastic bags. The FoodSaver is expensive and so are the bags. But SO ARE GROCERIES! And I hear on the news that they are only going higher.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  08:51:26 AM  Show Profile
Fudsy, do take care, hoping the flooding danger passes without incident! You did get lots done yesterday in my book!!

Nancy, I'm right there with you on wanting the old ledgers from my grandparents too! They tracked every penny, there were old receipt attached to the warranties on some things etc. . . what I would give to have those.

BellePepper, Glad your here and thank you for sharing with us.
The more information we share, the better we will all be. I am in agreement with you about the foodsaver. . .at the price of food, whether we purchase, grow or barter for it, it's expensive. So if we can preserve it I think it's money well spent.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  08:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to comment on the use of the bread machine. I use mine all the time. Slicing the loaf for sandwiches is a little hard to do. So what I do is when the machine is ready for the 2nd rise, I take the dough out and make rolls. I make 16 rolls from the 1 1/2 lb recipe. Let them rise again and bake them in the oven. I then freeze most of the rolls and take out one at a time to make a sandwich. I use the whole wheat recipe and add some ground flax seed. So healthy that I eat 2 or 3 of them right out of the oven.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday evening we found a free corner shelfing unit on craigs list! It is perfect to store my herbs and tinctures on. Lately I check the "free" stuff everyday. We have gotten some great items that way.

We bake our bread using this recipe from Mother Earth News http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx. It is so easy even my DH makes bread with it.

I enjoy a really good cup of coffe and Latte's are my fav. But I refuse to pay the high price at coffee houses or even MCD. So I make my own. Make a cup of STRONG coffee. Bring one cup of milk to a boil and let foam form. Pour 1/2 cup of coffee and 1/2 cup milk in to mug. Add 1/2 tsp of cocoa and sweetner to taste. Makes 2 cups.

If you have a bunch of bandanas lying around make a quilt top! My grandkids lover their snuggle quilts made with bandanas.

Loving all the great ideas from you wonderful ladies!!!!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile
I want to see about getting a use bread machine from the thrift store so it can d the kneading for me. I don't like those box bread mixes and my diet confines me to certian [luckily healthy] foods, so I should be able to put my own flour and other ingredients in the bread machine, right?
Then I thought I could just bake the bread or other product in the oven.
Will that work?
Thanks for any info!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:17:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy,
Got me to thinkin'
Can't use those wax cereal bags for baking, but you gave me some other ideas.
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Carla, Yes, I do not like the way my bread bakes in the bread machine, but it does a fine job of kneading and rising. You can adapt most recipes for this and take it out before it bakes, put it in a bread pan, let rise again and bake in the oven. I also make homemade whole wheat pizza dough. Add a tablespoon of gluten for whole wheat recipes to make your bread lighter without adding white flour.
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  4:58:40 PM  Show Profile
I agree the foodsaver is expensive...and normally I wouldn't advocate it so strongly. But I live in the city and have to save where I can...someone made a comment earlier about buying the large cans of veggies and then breaking them down into smaller servings....(this is the sound of me banging the front of my forehead with my palm...)...why didn't I think of that???? That's a wonderful idea! Keep in mind that other brands of bags work in the foodsaver...and the canisters are constantly reusable...(so long as the lid doesn't bend)...

I went to the thrift store today and got an XL ugly maroon insert, yellow heater.. XL 6-quart crockpot...honeybunches thought I was crazy...but I don't care. My 3-quart and 1 1/2 quart just weren't large enough to put a chicken in...so now the ugly crockpot is all cleaned up, and i'm going to boil me a whole chicken, and hopefully make some chicken broth that I can strain and freeze...I hate paying .50 - 1.00 for a can of chicken stock...I don't know if this will work, but I am certainly going to try....I doubt ugly will affect how it works....

I'm going to go look for that other string you mentioned...can you send a link?

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile
I love all the ideas here.
I don't like the way the loaves come out in my bread machine either but they are perfect for loaves for croutons. Also if it's a recipe I really like I will use the dough cycle for kneading/first rise, then transfer to a bread pan for the second rise and baking - it does save some time.
I'm still trying to make meals using stuff I already have - it is really saving me money - I have had money left at the end of the pay cycle the last three weeks - this is unheard of for us.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  2:36:36 PM  Show Profile
WaHOOO!!! We are all doing great!! Just think of all the possibilities as we simplify our lives

Okay, here is a great tip of the day:

Left over squash ( butternut) I took the little bit that was left over and made a small pie. . . perfect for our desert tonight, just enough for each of us to have a large slice The extra pie crust dough I use to make "cinnamon & Sugar Crisps" For those who have not done this yet, simply roll out your left over dough, place on a baking sheet, spread a very thin coating of butter over the entire dough, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mix. Be sure to prick the dough with a fork all over to prevent it from bubbling up too much, bake at 325 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes. . . keep an eye on it, does not take long to bake!! Slip it off your baking sheet onto a rack to cool, then break apart and enjoy!! Yummy!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:20:11 PM  Show Profile
As of this afternoon we now have our timer installed for the hot water heater. I only do laundry once a week for just the two of us. As I was folding clothes today and as I was just standing there staring at the plugin for the dryer and washer. So- Unless I'm doing laundry they are unplugged and hung over the drain pipe. I can't wait to see our power bill next month.

Joanna- your cinnamon sugar crisps sound very tasty.
Amy- I'm so happy for you on the left over money. I'm done buying wheat berries and now I'll keep a real close eye o the food budget.

One item, one thing at a time and we can do this!

Farmgirl #1599
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  6:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh Joanna can you please share you recipe for the pie and pie crust. Pie crust is one area I struggle with. THANKS

Today I blended a few teas using herbs and green tea. Cheaper and better than store bought.

I also made a facial spray to mist my face with after I use powder. Just use 1/2 water & 1/2 witch hazel. Add a few drops of lavender oil and you're done.

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

CindyLous
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Cindy
Keizer OR
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  9:33:54 PM  Show Profile
For your chicken broth you can freeze it in ice cube trays then put them in a freezer bag and take out what you need.
Go to Top of Page

tracy043
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Tracy
Batesburg SC
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  02:40:18 AM  Show Profile
I was able to make it a whole week eating from the freezer and cupboards and saved $75 last week that I used to pay extra on a credit card bill we are trying to pay off. IF I could do that once a month we will have that bill paid off sooner then I had planned. The sooner I get these couple little bills out of our way the sooner we can start building our house.

I am just loving every ones tips. I am trying to use as many as possible. As I was making my grocery list out last night I was a bit disappointed that most of the staples I need this week are not on sale. The thing I find the hardest is finding sale items or coupons for the healthy items on the outside items of the store. Produce, dairy products and hormone free meats. Isn't it strange that junk food and processed food always have coupons but the healthy choices you have to pay full price for ...and they wonder why Americans are over weight!

I am glad to see others use up their pie crust the same way I do. My family calls them pie crust cookies and it is on our holiday cookie list. I make pie crust just for them and roll them out spread them with butter, sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon then roll them up in a log and cut them in slices. I put them real close on a cookie sheet or use a cupcake tin to bake them as individual little cookies. My family fights over them and they are very cheap to make.

Finding the good in everyday!

http://oursimplelife-sc.com/
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  2:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I use a generic pumpkin pie recipe found in any good cookbook, substitute squash for the pumpkin, substitute 3/4 cup whole milk rather than a cup of heavy cream, add the spices ( I use a full teaspoon of freshly grated cinnamon which is a little more than the recipe calls for, I also grate all my other spices. . a real experience the first time you do it!)

As for the pie crust, here is the secret, simply follow the recipe for the dough, only keep this in mind, once you add the chilled water ( I have chilled drinking water in my fridge, it works great) mix the dough quickly and only enough to form the dough ball. . . if you mix it to much your dough will be tough. Next,place your dough on a floured surface, sprinkle more flour over the top and roll out the dough to the desired size and thickness ( if your making crust for covering your pie as well as for an apple pie, divide the dough in half and roll each piece separately.)

One other note, when I use the left over pieces for making the pie crust cookies, I add in a teaspoon more of shortening knead it in then roll out the crust. The added shortening keeps the dough light and tender for a real melt in your mouth treat!)

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  5:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Carla and Nancy,

As for saving the inside bags from cereal boxes, works great for patterns. You open the bag seams and gently wipe with a soft cloth, lightly moistened. These are great to lay over and trace your pattern shapes. You can also use like wax paper for applique. You can also sew these bags to create other bags for gifts, cookies fit nicely into them, I store bits of ribbon, floss, etc, for embellishing my quilts in these little bags. You can put homemade soap into these bags, candy, etc. the sky's the limit.

For leftovers-when cutting up veggies, I throw the potatoe peelings, ends of green beans, onion skins, any veggie skin for that matter, into a plastic bag. Pop into the freezer and when full, put in a pot, with water and some seasoning. Let slowly cook for at least 1 hour. When finished, smash and strain and freeze the "veggie broth" in ice cube trays. When frozen pop out and place in the same storage bag. I use this broth to season rice (use instead of water), I add to potatoes, soup, stew, etc. You can also do this with fruit peelings and the fruit broth I add to smoothies or rice (lightly sweetened with honey).

You knitters or crocheters should google to see how to unknit a sweater. I find great wool sweaters, from our local thrift stores and unknit the sweater to create new yarn. I purchased a man's XL Land's End sweater, several months ago, for $3.00. It was a beautiful tweedy gray. I unknit that sucker and ended up with enough yarn to make four pair of socks-one for me and three for gifts and still have enough left over to make several pair of fingerless gloves.

And for those of us who loooooove fabric and sew or quilt, instead of buying new material, have a swap with other sewers/quilters. Shop in a friends stash! I'm also blessed to live in an area where lots of gals sew/quilt. We teach each other tricks and techniques. We share magazines, books, patterns, etc. Helps to stretch everyones dollar and we have lots of fun in the process.

Hope this helps ladies and I'll keep sharing as the "thrift" inspires.

Blessings,
Bonnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 2011 and Thriftyness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page