fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  08:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Joanna you are so right! That is why I enjoy MJF forums so much. I'm looking forward to your coffee substitute. I have a book that was done in the 80's called the "grassroots survival cookbook" I'll have to pull it out and see what interesting things are in that book.

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  09:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Fudsy, we will have to compare notes!!

I just ordered a few CD's from an EBay Store with copies of very old books describing thrifty ways of living off the land, camping survival, bee keeping and more. I cannot wait for them to arrive so I may begin reading and making tons of notes!

Okay Everyone, tell us what book you use as a regular reference for being thrifty!! I have several dealing with different aspects of living. Like one for the kitchen, one for herbs, one for gardening etc.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  10:32:01 AM  Show Profile
My number one resolution to to do what I have to do to stay healthy and strong enough to tackle all the other things on my list -) It's easy to overlook that one as we get older and can't necessarily count on being up to the challenge of hoeing all our rows, ya'know?
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary, I know exactly what you mean! Thank goodness for all our Sister's, many hands help lighten the load in so many ways!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi All - I went to the grocery store today when I was hungry and spent a lot of money.. Its all good stuff and a lot of staples we use regularly - but way more than necessary. Enough said... :o{

Pamela - that was a great barter. I recently bought some 5-gal buckets w/lids and they were at least $6 each.

Joanna - I liked the idea for using the bottle tops to cover young plants. My favorite frugal reference book is the Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn. But I also have an old copy of The Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing (bought it a a used bookstore years ago). I read it sometimes just for inspiration - they were amazing people. I also feel inspired by so many great ideas on this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing - keep 'em coming...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:57:21 PM  Show Profile
I love the tips on here! It took me a while but I finally read all of them! I noticed a few other people do the same thing. We have netflix instead of cable and regular tv (although we have a digital tv so we can get a few local channels in). And we are getting the Magicjack to use for our regular phone. Instead of a cell phone plan we went with straight talk so now I go month to month and it is one set price. I was just going to do away with a cell phone altogether but decided with me going places with my kids and driving older vehicles... It's better safe than sorry! Especially if I can't fix it on the side of the road myself!

Our grocery bill is high this year because my garden didn't do too well last year.

Here's a question. I buy lemons in these cool mesh bags. I was going to use them for potpourri that I am hoping to make from my own herb garden and give as gifts. Does anyone else have ideas for what I could do with them? Or with other mesh bags (like oranges, grapefruit, etc)? I love the toilet paper roll for starter pots! I wonder how many I can have save up by the time I start my seeds!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Krystle - I've been saving my mesh onion bags for next year's onions.
Joanna - I admire your idea about the coffee but that is the one thing I can't give up. I do drink fair trade, locally roasted though. Also - Bob's Red Mill rocks!! My dad runs a church camp and he picks up a big load once or twice a year and they are very generous with non-profit organizations, also the fact that Bob turned the company over to his employees rather than selling when he retired was awesome!!
Another milk jug idea - read this in Backwoods Home - cut a dime sized hole in the bottom of your milk jug, dig a post hole adjacent to your crops in the garden and put the milk jug in, then just fill the milk jug periodically for drip irrigation. The article did not mention how deep to bury the jug so I'm going to experiment this summer.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

urbangirl11
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Erin
Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Krystle - I read somewhere that you could turn those mesh bags into a pan scrubber by tying it in a knot, though I've never tried it myself. I was just wondering this morning if there was a way to turn those bags or the mesh from shower puffs into reusable veggie bags. I hate using the plastic bags from the store.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  8:55:37 PM  Show Profile
So many good ideas! Thanks!
I forgot another tip I had. Instead of fluorescent bulbs we are slowly switching over to led bulbs in our most used lamps, bathroom vanity lights. The one thing about them is most the light goes in whichever direction the bulb is pointed so I still have a florescent bulb in my reading lamp. LEDs supposedly use even less energy than fluorescent bulbs but again they won't work for everyone. Just a thought!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:29:52 PM  Show Profile
When I was growing up my dad used old egg cartons( the ones made from cardboard like material) to start seeds in. last year I started doing the same thing. It works great and saves money.

I love the idea of using the milk jugs as a drip system!!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  3:48:26 PM  Show Profile
My DIL came up with a good idea for garden staples. She uses old welding rods. If you happen to be married to a welder guy, he'll probably have some old rods you can use. Ole Ron always kept his welding rods in an old fridge out in the shop. He hadn't welded for several years before he passed away so I am anxious to get out to the shop and see how many rods/garden staples I have to work with.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas!!! Keep them coming!!

I love the milk jug idea, that one will come in very handy for me this coming season.

For the mesh bags everyone is asking about, don't forget, they will be great bagging your extras from your garden. They are very handy for holding your root crops ( radishes, carrots) place them into the mesh bag and hold them under the faucet to rinse them clean then pop them into the fridge!

I love using the egg cartons to start seedlings in, another great idea.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:09:41 AM  Show Profile
For the egg cartons to use for starting seeds, what seeds work best in them? Are they big enough to start tomatoes in? Just wondering! I have a bunch of cartons that I won't need until my chickens decide to start laying again! Thanks :)

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  05:44:49 AM  Show Profile
CountryMommy85, Any seed can be started this way, however, the larger plants ( think squashes and such) I would start in a larger container.
The tomato plants would start out well, then you would transfer them a larger container. The best part about the egg cartons is the space saving while germinating the seeds.

Joanna #566

JojoNH

Edited by - JojoNH on Jan 27 2011 05:45:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  05:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Okay time for the Tip of the Day!!

We all have items in our homes that we no longer use. . . they are in great condition and have lots of life left, we simply do not "need them" any more. So why not package like items together in a gift basket.
Then they could be given to someone who could use them. . . or barter with someone for something you need!

Next time you do a farmers market, flea market or even a craft fair.. do up a basket of useful items. . .place a label on it stating it's value and what your looking to barter for. You will be surprised at the attention your booth receives for one, two the connections you will make and three, the bartering that can happen beyond your imagination!! A great way of being thrifty, re-purposing useful items and receiving something you need as well. . . without it costing you hard earned money.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  08:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Great Idea for today Joanna!

Here they have "tail-gate" sales twice a year

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I am totally going to use the egg cartons to start my seeds this year! Something I have started doing this winter is making my own sugar scrubs since I can't afford to buy a good one without chemical additives. All I do is put sugar in a small bowl or cup then mix in just enough olive oil to moisten it then I exfoliate away! I use it on my face and whole body. You could use other oil bit I have been using olive oil since I gave that on hand for cooking. No more expensive micro derm abrasion kits or body scrubs!

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Countrymommy - I heard of using sea salt and oil as a scrub. Can you use either or is one better than another? This time of year it would be good to exfoliate all that dry skin - my hands are terrible. Ugh... Good idea - that stuff is expensive.

Love the egg carton idea.

Joanna - love the basket idea. It would be nice if you could do it at your work too.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  5:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Tea Lady: you could do either! Although in the winter I found I get better results using sugar because for me the salt was too drying. I do use salt in the summer but never on my face. But that is what works for me!

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  04:43:05 AM  Show Profile
So how are you all doing with our thrifty challenge so far?? I am excited to see all the wonderful ideas being exchanged and most of all, love the fact it is making a difference in my own life.

Tip of the Day:
"spend it on paper first!" When it comes time to head out to do a little shopping, the first thing to do is spend it on paper. Start with the money you have allocated to what your about to purchase. use your tracking sheets for how much each item will cost ( or check online for the prices. . get an average price) Then keep subtracting from the money you have allocated as you work your way through the list. You will be surprised at how you "feel" when doing this. First, if your number ends up being a negative one. . meaning you spent more than you allocated. . that helps keep you on budget and means you need to revise your list. . . not take money from somewhere else.

Next, and this one applies to me, you will experience the sense of. . I worked hard for this money. . . look how fast it all went!! So, if your like me, you look over your list and rethink how your spending the money. It's amazing the things you decide you don't need. . . a bag of chips, that "fancy" cereal, the extra box of whatever. Doing this every time. . and I do mean every time, before going shopping has made a huge difference in my finances. Not to mention more space in my cabinets so I can start building up the reserve food supply once more!!

I encourage you to do this. . a little planning ahead will save you lots of $$$$'s later on!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  09:35:18 AM  Show Profile
The single most thrifty thing I can ever do is make a menu. I base it on the store flyers and what's on hand in my fridge. The next thing is STICK TO IT!!! That's the hardest part, especially when DH comes in and says "Let's go out!"
Seriously, I'm bad about not doing a menu or a list, but when I do, it's amazing what I can save.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  09:46:53 AM  Show Profile
Joanne, I am interested definitely in your subject. Now that I am Medicare age, I am trying to be as thrifty as I can. I grew up with Mother Earth etc, and always tried to be thrifty. My well worn "Tightwad Gazette" has some old ideas like used typewriter ribbon, but most are still applicable. I wanted to add to your suggestion up above.

1) We mark items with the date purchased + the cost. that way we can see if prices go up, & before we go to the store, what it was the last time. BTW, rotation is a must!
2) We go to Costco for quite a few items we put on a list. We also buy for my Mother and others who have little income or can not use bulk items efficiently.
3) One from Gazette: If you use dryer sheets (which we don't use fabric softener), pour 1-2 Tablespoons of softener on a designated old face cloth and put in with your wet clothes. *Can't hardly wait for Spring so I can hang clothes out on the line. :0)

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  09:49:49 AM  Show Profile
What wonderful ideas!!! I grew up on a farm where we started all of our seeds in egg cartons. Once they were big enough dad would transplant them into a cold frame. We had 30 acres and grew everything. We even grew the corn to feed the pigs & chicks. Dad never bought a vegatable plant. We started everything from seed.

Another BIG money saver is packing our own snacks, lunches & drinks. when we are going to be away from home for a few hours. We keep a cooler in the car and we use our water containers for drinks. Making your own sandwiches, snacks and carrying drinks really does save a lot of money.

When you start watching your pennies, the saved dollars add up

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  10:00:17 AM  Show Profile
I have to apologize. I was reading page 10 about egg cartons, was distracted for awhile...ended back up on page 1 for some reason. I am way behind in my comments. sorry!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  10:00:46 AM  Show Profile
Tammy - the bring your own snacks/lunch is huge!! I have started bringing lunch from home every day and it is a great help. Plus better for my health:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 2011 and Thriftyness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page