fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Belle- There is nothing wrong with a modular. If the layout suits your needs and makes you happy, make NO excuses.. a house doesn't have to be hand built or 100 years old to be a "home" that is what you make it. I for one am happy for you. We own a mobile home park, we live in a house on the property that was built in the 40's and to be honest I hate this house. the basement draws moisture and we must run a dehumidifer all the time because was never seal properly, there are always drafts and dust, most of the walls and ceilings are pine tounge and groove. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a pine box. I would love nothing more to put a new gloried doublewide in place of this house. I've made it my "home" over the past 21 years, but I still hope for the day we can either demolsih this place or put my dream doublewide on the back of the property and have our son move into the "pine box" and run our business for us. Ok, off my soap box.

Look for the Borax and washing soda on either the top shelf, or the bottom shelf in the laundry soap isle, the same with the bar soap. I have used Fels-Naptha. now on another forum a person said it was "toxic" but I can't find where that would be. Right on the back label in big bold letters is says "contains NO naphtalene" I looked up the word and it is used in mothballs. I would imagine 100 years ago it did contain that toxic ingrediant but not today. If not at your local wal-mart try a Safeway or such local store.

Washing soda - the brand I have is Arm & Hammer. it is a detergent booster & household cleaner. it is fragrance & phosphate free. you can even send for a free booklet on ways to use it www.thelaundrybasket.com according to the box. I'll visit the website in just a minute.

I hope this helps you

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:25:18 AM  Show Profile
so this is and is not thrifty, but cleaning today I looked at the box of my silver that I use on "special" days. Well darn it. I'm special all the time. So I've put that silver in my silverware drawer and will put all the extras in our camper. I can feel fancy without spending any extra money. About 2 years ago I started using all my princess house crystal as everyday drinking glasses and bowls. I am a princess today and everyday. :-) When a piece breaks it's ok, I had the pleasure of getting use out of it. The same will most of my antiques and heirlooms. Even my great grandpa's bed is used in our spare bedroom for visitors.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:26:19 AM  Show Profile
I have a question about the homemade laundry soap... does the grated bar soap dissolve when you wash your clothes or are you left with bits and pieces throughout your wash/clothes???
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile
I plan on washing with warm/cool water. I will let you know

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Pamela, I went to the Arm and Hammer web site. I did the search for "the store neares me". There was none. I checked OK and MO and did not find any stores. I'm thinking their search isn't working right. Or maybe it is me not working it right. Anyway it is too cold and too much snow to go out looking for washing soda. It will be interesting to see what I can find.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:59:28 AM  Show Profile
YEA! I am so glad I found this thread. We are working to bring down all of our cost of living expenses this year. Groceries and power is our big cost. I am BIG on eathing whole foods. I can't always afford to purchase organic but I can puchase healthy foods ~ whole grains, beans, veggies, good meats. I purchase items like beans, rice & grains in bulk when on sale. We make many of our own salad dressings, sesoning blends ect. At first it cost to get the supplies but overall there is a big savings. I keep lettuce blends growing year around ( we are at almost a mile high elevation in northern ca).

For power savings we unplug appliances not in use. We do not use the dishwasher in the house. We hang most of our clothing up to dry. I use the crock pot for slow cooking. And when ever possible soups, beans, ect are cooked outside over the firepit. By just being aware of the power we use our electric bill dropped almost $60.00!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile
OOOO0000oooo Tammy tell me more about your cooking firepit. Do you have a picture of it. I've been running around unplugging things we only use once a day or less. At first the DH just rolls is eyes but he is getting use to it. I can't wait for next months power bill.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:27:18 AM  Show Profile
Things I’ve done today in addition to what has already been posted.

1. Found a whole pile of roasting bags in my plastic drawer. I’ve put half in my crock pot and the rest in my roasting pan maybe I’ll even use them now. LOL

2. I volunteer at our local senior center on the board of directors and we try and have lunch up there a couple times a month. I found a couple boxes of Tuna helper that I purchased by mistake but couldn’t just toss them I’ll take them to the center tomorrow and put them on the free table.

As you can tell I’ve moved onto the food cupboards and will start a list of what I have on hand and I commit to work out a meal plan for at least the next week or two. I’ll post it when I have it figured out. This way I’m committed to getting it done as someone may be looking forward to see what I come up with

After this cupboard it will be time to stop and move on or I won’t get anything else done today

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:57:42 AM  Show Profile
The firepit is very simple. We made it square shaped so that we could rest a grill rack on one side. My DH did the measurments and then we gathered rocks to build the pit up. I can set my cast iron right on the coals or set it on the rack. I love cooking my beans and stews this way. Even in the middle of winter! I just go out and feed the fire every so often. Last summer we cooked outside more than we did inside.

Today to save money I started my own tomato seeds for my garden. Any extra plants I have I will sell at the farmers markets.

I did a triple batch of white beans. I cooked the beans in extra virgin olive oil, sage, thyme, onion and garlic. By cooking a triple batch I saved electicity. Our meals with be roasted chicken with white beans. Soup with beans, carrots, tomaotes, & onions. Baked beans kielbasa sausage.

I made my own cough syrup using honey, thyme & water. Taste great & it works.

Tammy ~
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Love all the information everyone is sharing! For those who are having trouble finding their soap ingredients, Lehman's has all of the ingredients to purchase separately or all together as a package.

We are all struggling with the cost of electricity, so happy to read all the ways each of you are cutting the costs. Don't forget about switching your light bulbs for the florescent type. They make them to fit just about any light fixture. . the savings for us was about $24.00 per month averaged out. . . just by changing the bulbs! Oh, and when I started changing them I did it as each light bulb burnt out, so no need to spend all that money up front. (Tip: check with your electric provider, some offer "free light bulbs" or Coupons to purchase the energy efficient ones, ours gave us 2 8 packs for free with a mail in coupon!)

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Joanna,
I was reading an article that pretty soon LED bulbs will be replaceing the florescent type. We had converted over back in the late 90's I'm looking forward to see how the LED's do.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Yes - lots of great ideas. Keep 'em coming. The more I read, the more I realize I have a long way to go... :o) I worked much later than I planned today and didn't bring anything to eat. I was really tempted to order something and have it delivered but I stayed strong and ate when I got home... Yeah me! One day at a time, right?

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  9:43:17 PM  Show Profile
that's right. One day at a time. When all else fails cereal or oatmeal for dinner works

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:03:12 PM  Show Profile
This is what I've come up with for quick stuff the top of my head for the next week or so using what is in the cupboard and freezer
Homemade pizza curst of course. With artichokes ,onions ,olives, pepperoni, mushrooms, garlic and scallions I need to use up. I just need to buy 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese

Mac & cheese with ham. I have a 1lb chunk of extra sharp cheese and some ham lunchmeat that needs of course to be used before it's too late.

I found 1 box of chicken helper and 2 boxes of hamburger helper.

Chili- I have dried kidney & pinto beans and HB in the freezer

Lots of dried vegetables so I'll make a meatless soup

I have home canned spaghetti sauce and frozen meatballs

One of the things I can't figure out how to use up is a can of whole cranberries. Do you think I could use them In a coffee cake of some kind?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:44:21 PM  Show Profile
canned cranberries are great in a jello salad
Go to Top of Page

tracy043
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Tracy
Batesburg SC
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  03:51:13 AM  Show Profile
I am just loving reading all of our great ideas ...by the end of the year we should all have found things to help our budget, saving money and energy. I have not been on in a couple days work has swallowed me up!

It's still very cold here in SC and we woke up to 18 this morning and all our pipes are frozen. Dying for a cup of tea or coffee with no water...so I put my thinking cap on and in the fridge I had a gallon of un-sweet tea. So to the microwave I went with a cup of ice tea warmed for hot tea with a touch of honey. Got me thinking ...I can't remember when the last time I used the microwave. Why do we need them? The bad part mine in our 5th wheel is wired in and you can't get to the plug to unplug it so it is constantly on. UGH! I already know when we start buying appliances for our new house a dryer is not on the list and I am starting to think a microwave will also be scratched off that list. We have done without a dryer now for almost 9 months and again I can't remember the last time I have used the microwave. Will have to ask my hubby tonight if he can disconnect the microwave and save a bit on our power bill. I am already looking for a stove top coffee pot. I know they make really strong coffee but I drink more milk in my coffee then anything else so I am sure it would be fine. Going to have to start watching for one so I don't have to use my electric coffee pot. Since we all started talking on this forum I am more aware of everything I plug in or turn on. Thanks Ladies!

With all this talk about flour mills I am going to put that on my dream list and hope I will find a grinder for coffee and flour at a yard sale at some point. Hubby is already talking about growing wheat of our own. I even have been checking on e-bay for one that might be affordable. I bake our own bread already so grinding our own flour is the next step.

I saw someone asked about the bar soap and I have never had a problem with it dissolving and I only ever use cold water. My hubby just grates it real fine for me and its great.

Now if I could just find a way to thaw our pipes so I could take a shower for work all would be great. Its my own fault...I unplugged the heat tape yesterday when the sun was out and forgot to plug it in before I went to bed! One time being trifty didn't work for me.

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  04:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Some more great ideas from all of you!! I too am looking forward to the led lights. . . my guy is an electrician. . . I know, lucky me right? NOT. . just like anyone else, the last thing he wants to do at the end of a long day is more work! LOL!! As soon as the first led's become available I'll be all over it for sure!

So sorry Tracy043 for your frozen pipes!! Here is a hint for you, since I have done those things myself! Place a note on your pillow so before you go to bed, there is a reminder for you to plug in your heat tape.
( some heat tapes have a thermostat attached to them, they only go on if the temperature drops below a certain point. . . you may want to invest in one of those?) As for your microwave, check to see if it is on it's own circuit breaker. . . if so, just switch the breaker off.

Fudsy, You asked about cranberries. . . I take my whole cranberries, add some sugar, heat on the stove until it thickens up to a syrup and use it on my english muffins or toast. . . it is a great jelly! Also makes a great glaze for pork or chicken.

Tea Lady, Good for you!!! It's hard to break those bad habits for sure, I'm proud of you for sticking to your plan!!

I heard something the other day on tv, thought it made great sense. . you know those moments when your "hungry" and want a snack until meal time. .. keep an apple with you, if your truly hungry the apple will be a perfect snack and you'll want to eat it. . . if the apple does not appeal to you, then your not really hungry! Hmmmm. . . interesting isn't it?

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  04:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Okay time for the Tip of the Day:

How many electric clocks do you have in your home? I now have only one, my alarm clock that has a battery backup. All the others have been replaced with battery operated clocks. The cost of the battery replacement is sooooo much cheaper than the electricity to run all those clocks every month!

As for the one clock that is electric, well, that one actually serves a purpose. . it let's us know when the power cuts out in the middle of the night ( which can be a regular occurrence here) Since our furnace needs to circulate the hot water for heat from our wood stove, we would need to get up and either shut down the wood stove or fire up the generator.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Remember if you think your pipes have a chance of freezing, leave the water running somplace at a little more then a drip.
Read someplace to save the wax bags that are in cereal boxes.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:25:50 AM  Show Profile
What do you do with the wax bags in the cereal boxes Nancy?

Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - phonelady on Jan 14 2011 09:26:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:40:54 AM  Show Profile
Great tip Joanna! I hadn't thought about the clocks...

Today I am cutting up paper that has been used on one side, into smaller pieces of scrap note paper. I stable them together, unused side up and put next to the phone for notes.

Making flavored water to drink. Take a 2 liter container of water and add 5 or 6 frozen strawberries to it or peel and slice about 3 inches of cucumber. Let set for at least one hour. Refreshing and cheap!

We are beginning to collect pallets that are being given away. From the pallets we are making raised beds and herb boxes. We also use free pallets to make shelfing for sheds outside or use them to build a compost bin.

Tammy ~
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:46:12 AM  Show Profile
CARLA,
Well I haven't done anything yet.I just read that tip someplace the other day. I guess you would use it to grease baking dishes. Wrap lunches. Cut the bags down to the size you need.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:22:26 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could collect free pallets. Around here they don't give them away you have to buy them :-(
I did make a trade today. We have a trailer and one of our friends wants to borrow it. Now the place his wife works she can get all the 5gal pails for free she wants and the 50gal blue barrels. I'm trading use of our trailer so they can haul their ATV's in for repairs for several pails and a barrel.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  1:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Great tips!! Love all the bartering and trading too
I wish our pallets were free. . we need to pay for ours unless we get something delivered that comes on a pallet

Earthmamat, love the idea of the flavored water, I do mine with lemon slices. . . didn't think of the strawberries or the cucumber, thanks for that tip!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

tracy043
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Tracy
Batesburg SC
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  2:59:11 PM  Show Profile
My hubby just brought a bunch of pallets home last week they were just going to throw them away at work and he is going to tear them apart to make stalls in the barn. I love free usable stuff!

My girlfriend took me to lunch for my birthday at our local farmers stand and they had 2 huge bunches of collards on sale for $2.50. I have never cooked them myself but tackled them when I came home from work today. Decided to cook them outside on the grill (I have a side burner) since they will smell up the house. They are cooking down and by the looks of it I should be able to get 5 or 6 meals out of the 2 bunches since it is just the two of us. That's only .50 cents for our side of veggies!

I had some orange infused water a couple weeks ago and it was a great way to use up some oranges we had left over from Christmas. Very nice change from plain water!

Finding the good in everyday!

http://oursimplelife-sc.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 2011 and Thriftyness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page