True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  05:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Carla -
don't feel too bad about the TV. We haven't had "regular" TV in six months and we are still alive. LOL We own a TV set and a DVD player. There was a time we purchased just about every new movie to come out. Must have 300 or more. So now we just work our way through those and there is always the library. We do splurge on the $9 netflix. If I want any news I wait for the paper or go online. We have internet because we own a business and my DH works on computers for his second job/hobby. We get the newspaper for free. I know-- I even called the paper and asked when our subsription expires because we were going to cancel it (I usually pay 1year at at time) They said our sub had run out almost a year ago. But we still get the paper.. I guess they will figure it out sooner or later. It sucks having to count pennies.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  05:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Until --
the small chest freezer is empty I'm treating it like my fabric. Only purchasing food to go with what I have. Yesterday I went to the local market up the road and got mozzarella cheese and wouldn't even look at anything else to make a homemade pizza out of the rest that I already had.
DH has to take his mom to the DR. in the "big city" tomorrow and I'm working on a short list for him. If I stay away from the store it's best.

I confess I am a food hoarder! My cupboards and freezer are full of home canned and just too good to pass up store deals. There, it's out in the open now. I need to stay away from even the sales LOL.

So far this month I've only spent $50 on needed food items. Mostly milk, eggs,(from locals and the fresh I need one at a time but I refuse to give it up coffee creamer (I'm an addict to my creamer)

I have a perculator coffe pot. It makes only 4 cups. We have 1 1/2 cups each in the morning and that is it. If I get to where we need something else during the day I make tea. I could go on and on... but I'll stop for now

On our trip into town on Sunday we went by the Hardware store and got a timer for our Hot water heater. I can't wait to get it installed and see how it helps our bill.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:13:03 AM  Show Profile
I keep seeing great ideas - and common pit falls. We also struggle with eating out too much. We've gotten much better but when you're running late or in a hurry... What can I say? I've gotten better about planning meals and taking snacks with me when I know I'm going to be out a long time. My dad is in a nursing home ~ 45 mins from my house. I usually go see him at least once a week. I leave ~ 9 am - visit with him until he's ready for lunch. My old pattern was to swing by a fast food place on my way home. But no more! I actually pack a lunch. It much better financially and weight-wise...

Joanna - you mentioned wasting food. I really get annoyed when I realize something is headed for the garbage because I didn't see it at the back of the fridge. One thing I like about the Frugal Girl blog is every Friday she shows what food she had to throw away. She said if she shared it with everyone, she'd work harder about not wasting. I've been doing something similar by throroughly going through the fridge - but on Sunday evening (garbage day is Monday). It seems to make me more aware, keep the fridge leaner, and reduce the number of moldy mystery bowls I find... Yuck!

Also, Joanna - you mentioned the celery problem. Me too! But I hate to give it up because its so good in soups, casseroles, etc. Can you freeze celery? I've never tried. And, is there a dried substitute that would keep longer but still have that celery flavor? I've used celery seed but never as a replacement for celery... Any ideas? Thanks everyone keep up the great stream of ideas. I'm loving it...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  11:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Lorraine, Yes you can freeze celery. You can dehydrate it also. I do both. I also make celery stock by simmering diced celery for about 30 min. I freeze it in 2 cup containers. I use the stock for making cream of celery soup or for the liquid when making pot roast. I do the same with mushrooms.

To keep your celery fresher longer, I do what Martha Stewart says. Wrap the celery stock in aluminum foil then put it back in it's plastic sleeve. Will keep a couple of weeks that way.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  11:37:31 AM  Show Profile
Belle - thanks for the info. I don't have a dehydrater - I'll have to freeze it. I like the idea for the celery stock too. And I've never heard that wrapping it in foil would preserve it longer. Great info - thanks again. (This is very timely - I just bought some celery today)

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  12:01:28 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like we are all off to a good start! You got me going with the celery. . LOL! I was buying regularly, however, I was not using regularly in my meal planning. . . so unless the meals are planned for it I don't buy it any more. Saved me quite a bit of money in the past 4 weeks alone.

At least I don't have mystery bowls in my fridge. .. I make soup all the time, it's my "snack food" rather than cookies and such. So all left overs that aren't enough for a meal go into a soup or chowder. So that has helped greatly.

Okay, let's hear your tip for keeping your fridge in good order ( to help eliminate the "back of the fridge" stuff)

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  1:30:56 PM  Show Profile
To keep from ending up with science exparements I had to redue the way I store items in the fridge [and freezer and cupboards too!].
I apparently have ADD and this leads to not seeing anything that is not right in front of my face when I open doors.
Sooo. Nothing is stored in the crisper drawers if they are no see-through [is there anything grosser than having to clean up rotten lettuce?!]. Nothing in those little cheese drawers and I don't keep small things in back of tall things [just what is that in the baggie there behind the milk and OJ jug? Eeeeww!].
Leftover anything has to be eaten or used within a week. If I've seen it in there for the last few days and I honestly am not going to make a sandwich out of it or whatever, it ends up in the freezer for soups, in the compost pile or [as a last resort] thrown away.
I don't buy extra of anything unless I know it will get used within a reasonable amount of time [the mustard is cool because it won't go bad for eons]. I make my own condiments because everything seems to have CORN SYRUP in it now. So I don't have all those bottles of things in the door any more.
If I'm not going to eat it within the week I freeze it.
Then when I need a quickly meal I can just grab one of those baggies out of the freezer [there's a particular area in the freezer for those leftovers.

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  3:33:55 PM  Show Profile
My biggest problem is eating out. Even if I prep lunches for my husband, 1/2 the time he won't take them with him. Or he'll eat the lunch I made but eat breakfast out. Losing battle. I'm trying to just stick to my eating food from home, at least during the work week and not worry about him. I'm also trying to cut back on coffee at the local coffee shops, that is probably one of our biggest issues. It's just the two of us, and that's our time for socializing with townfolks.

I probably could do a little better with energy, but I find it difficult to keep track of what is and isn't plugged in. I've ended up with cell phones and computers that weren't charged when I really needed them.

I'd like to ditch the newspaper, but hubby won't agree to it, he's not big on reading it online. And I wish I could figure out a way to decrease our TV bill, that is something that neither one of wants to give up but it would be nice to find a cheaper solution.

I do get lots of free samples, and do product testing and surveys so I get things like crackers and cat food to try, and a little extra cash. Also, a lot of magazines offer trial issues. I always take them and then write cancel on the bill when I get it. That way, I usually have a few free magazines in my mailbox every month, and then I pass them on to my mom and the waiting room at work.

Edited by - mickib on Jan 11 2011 3:36:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  4:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Carla - I'm impressed you have a special place in the freezer for your leftovers. Some times my freezer is like a black hole.

I also could do better on the electric bill. One of our neighbors has a very nice windmill and large solar panel. I keep trying to figure out how I could dig a trench to tap into his windmill. :o)

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  4:11:49 PM  Show Profile
My plan, (that hardly ever works) is every 10 days, the 10th, 20th, & 30th I eat what I call ABC. Already Been Cooked. I check the fridge and freezer to plan my meals for the day. Like I said, don't always work. I still end up with too many mystery containers. And I really get tired of eating the same thing 3 nights in a row. Like I said earlier, I am really trying NOT to waste so much food.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  09:37:05 AM  Show Profile
It's time for me to start eating out of the freezer. Need to get it cleaned out for spring. Also with having acquired a bigger vehicle payment I need to be able to hang on until spring when I won't need heating oil and can exist with just wood heat. It is a bit more difficult since it's only me now but I am working on ways to economize with food.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  11:30:52 AM  Show Profile
Today I plan on making homemade washing powders. The experiment will be figuring the cost of the ingredients and how long it lasts as well as how well it cleans vs. the liquid soap I normally use. I know I paid $16.99 for my 115oz soap in October and it is only about half used up. Once DH gets back from town I'll be able to figure the cost on the homemade mix. I sent a list in and staying away from the store for yet antoher day YEA for me :-)

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  1:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Glad to see so many are working on their own personal challenges. Keep the faith, we will accomplish our goals this year!!

Tip for the Day:

"Old Fashion Fun Day/Night" Pick one day/night to do things the old fashion way. . . oil lamps for lighting, making the meal on your wood stove or over an open camp fire, play board games, read a great novel, you get the idea! If we all do that 4 times a month it will save us four days worth of electricity use! I love doing this several days a week whenever my DBF is out of town on business. It's so easy and so relaxing. . . I am amazed at all the "simple pleasures" I enjoy during this time.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  1:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Joanna - but I would also have to wait when my husband is out of town. I don't think he could live without his creature comforts or his computer... :o)

Has anyone used the homemade laundry detergent in a high efficiency washer? Does it make a lot of suds?

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

tracy043
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Tracy
Batesburg SC
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  5:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Lorraine this is the recipe I use and it does not make many suds at all but works great.

12 cups Borax
8 cups Baking Soda
8 cups Washing Soda
8 cups Bar soap (grated)

* Mix all ingredients well and store in a sealed tub.
* Use 1/8 cup of powder per full load.

I have learned through all my research it is not the suds that get our clothes clean no matter what we have been programed to believe through all the laundry soap ads its friction. I have good luck with this recipe...my hubby operates a drill rig so he gets really muddy every day and this has worked great for me. I was spending about $30 a month now we figure I spend $12 every 2 months for laundry soap. Big savings for us!

Everyone ...on another note I got my grocery store ad in the mail today and then went and looked through my freezer and cupboards to take stock. I do believe I can go by without going to the grocery store this week at all. I did have to stop on the way home from work today to get milk, butter and a bag of wheat flour but besides that I think we can by-pass a week at the grocery store. That's $85 to my favor out of my budgeted $100 (spent $15 when I stopped on the way home) YEAH!

I also went to the Goodwill today and found a brand new DORA outfit ($3.25) for my granddaughters birthday and 2 like new books for $1 each. So for $5.25 I just bought a birthday present and she will not even care where they came from since she loves Dora and she loves books!

Was a good day in my thrifty world today!

Finding the good in everyday!

http://oursimplelife-sc.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  5:44:10 PM  Show Profile
Tracy - thanks for the soap recipe. Laundry soap is very expensive. I'll give it a try. I was concerned about the suds because its not good for high efficiency washers. With just the 2 of us, I might cut it in half... That's amazing that you can get by for another week with so little additional expense. Thankfully, I've been doing very well with groceries this week too. Your Goodwill trip sounds great! There's a great little resale shop nearby - I got a Harry Potter book on CD for my grandson - it was $2, but it was the right color sticker and I got it for $1! His birthday is in a couple weeks - so I listened to it first!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  5:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Tracy - I just took a quick peek at your website - very cool. I'll have to look again when I have more time...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile
I made the laundry soap today the cost was $12.26 It smells great. I used Fels bar soap. Now I will see how long it lasts. With just two of us it should be a long time before I need more.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Edited by - fudsy on Jan 12 2011 8:33:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  8:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Great job on the shopping. And thanks for the soap recipe. I think I should have done like Lorraine is going to do and only mix 1/2 batch. With the purchase of the soap supplies DH shows $58 dollars spent for this week so far. I know I'll be spending another $45 when we go back to town on Sunday for church because I ordered 50lbs on soft white wheat berries. I'm pretty happy in the long run. I now have a total of 250lbs of several types of wheat berries. I've been grinding my own flour and can't believe the difference in taste and texture.
My big score for the day was at the library they sell used books. I found a chicken cookbook I've checked out several times on the sale table for $1. It is now part of my collection

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

tracy043
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Tracy
Batesburg SC
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  03:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Great find at the library Fudsy! I was so happy I found those couple books for my granddaughter ...books are so expensive it was great to find them.

I went to the library yesterday to check out the Frugal Gazette and it was on hold for someone else. I was looking forward to reading it but I will have to wait. I put my name on the holding list and it will be about 1 month before I get to check it out.

I am so interested in you grinding your own flour. I see them for sale in the bulk foods isle at my local health food store. We don't have a flour mill but I was wondering besides the taste is the cost difference a big savings for you? I had to pay 3.49 for a 5# bag of wheat flour yesterday and am wondering if you ever figured out how much it actually cost you by grinding your own.

Finding the good in everyday!

http://oursimplelife-sc.com/
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  05:00:52 AM  Show Profile
I too am interested in the grinding of your own flour. It's one of the things on my list of changes What type of grinder do you use? There has to be a big savings overall in doing it for yourself. . . not to mention how fresh it will be. ( ever wonder about the flour we purchase at the store??)

Great finds at the library and Goodwill!! Loving it!!!

Tip of the day:
Since there are all kinds of occasions in which we give gifts, wrapping them has come to mind. Although the fancy papers are beautiful, I am trying something new. I am sewing either throw blankets or bags to wrap my gifts in. Then, the person receiving the gift will have 2 gifts instead of one and nothing for the landfill
Not good at sewing? Well, rather than spend your hard earned money on the wrapping paper, support a fellow farmgirl who does sew!! You can either purchase, barter or swap for what you need.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  05:46:16 AM  Show Profile
I think I mentioned this someplace before, but use your old sewing pattern papers for tissue paper. works really good.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  06:48:20 AM  Show Profile
That's a great tip!! I forgot about that one, Thanks Nancy!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:17:31 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning!
After a full day of snow, we now have rain and warnings of flooding. You gotta love winter here in North Idaho. I love the saying of our Pastor when asked by someone how can you live here. It's cold from October until the middle of June. His response July & August.

Joanna - I like the idea of cute bags to put gifts in. Lately I have just been tying a ribbon "which I have lots of " around the gift. There are 3 young women expecting babies this year and one happens to by my youngest daughter. I've made them "peanut shaped" burp clothes from extra fabric I have instead of buying diapers and sewing on them and tied a ribbon around them.

Grinding flour - there is a forum thread called "fresh ground flour" you may want to check it out. Cost? Well I won't know for awhile since I just purchased my mill for Christmas as well as a Bosh mixed I've had my eye on for several years. What I've learned about flour so far is that after a couple of days flour starts to lose some of it's nutritional value. What you get to keep in your own ground wheat berries is the bran,germ and endosperm (which is where all the protein is) I have baked bread for many years and had done all the mixing and kneading by hand. It was done as a special treat. With my new mixer I've been baking something almost every other day. But as on the other forum, my goal is to not buy store bought bread of any kind again. So I'm going to learn to make hambuger buns and small roll for hot dogs. My mill ran $240 the on the 250 lbs of wheat berries $110 which from what I've read should last at least a year or more. I have spent a total $350 which is a lot, but will have recouped the cost by baking all my own product. Locally I'm trying to find someone I can trade fresh bread for eggs or milk.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, thanks for the laundry soap recipe. Going to give it a try IF I can find the stuff. What is washing soda?? Where do you get it? What kind of bar soap do you use. Pamela said she used Fels. Don't know where to get that either. Not sure I can find Borax, don't remember seeing it at Walmart.
Is the home made washing powder safe for babies things? I have 5 great grandbabies and I'm sure their Mammas would like to save some money.

AND I loved your web site. where did you find the pattern for the plastic bag bag? Did I see a Ford tractor? We did the 5th wheel thing too. However, we did not build our house. It was too soon old, too late smart. We did the modular thing. Which means a glorified doublewide trailer house.

Belle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 2011 and Thriftyness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page