Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Gather up for the Farmgirl Good News Report!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Gather up for the Farmgirl Good News Report! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile
I was just "talking" with Melody in another forum and realized that we need to remind ourselves that there is a LOT of good in this old world of ours. THERE IS! And I said, "Wouldn't it be great to have a 'Good News' report solely dedicated to uplifting, encouraging and enlightening?...Only reports of good things - no matter how small they seem to be - something new, uplifting, encouraging and inspiring from the Farmgirls, every day!" Who better to pull this off than us Farmgirls!?

So here you go, girls - this is your forum to spread a lot of good old fashioned Farmgirl cheer. Post whatever it is - big or small! Whatever has made you smile today! Post something every day! Let's keep this going FOREVER! Most importantly: Let's do this FARMGIRL STYLE!!!

Are you with me, girls!?

Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 08 2011 9:04:15 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:59:15 PM  Show Profile
So, today a wonderful thing happened... Since our neighbor's wife passed away this past summer, he's kind of been lost. We've been helping out, keeping an eye on him, but he's still very alone, aging, and not able to take care of himself as well as he used to. He was really worried he'd be going to a home. This weekend, his only daughter - his WONDERFUL, amazing, loving daughter - now in her early 50's, decided to give up her incredibly beautiful and spacious Victorian home in the next town over to move in with her Dad and take care of him. She's letting her ex- take over her current home, and she's downsizing her belongings along with her dad's so that they can start a new life together. They both know it's not going to be easy, and it's going to be an adjustment, but the relief in his eyes says it all. He's going to be able to remain in the home in which his wife and he had shared a lifetime of memories together, and he is very, very loved. Now isn't that just a wonderful thing?

Cheers!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  9:13:25 PM  Show Profile
This is for my fellow sweet farmgirls out there who feel blue this time of year....

How many days until spring?

72 days!

-When the gray and cloudy days are too much for me I dream of digging around in the soil and anticipating little green things to stretch and grow warmed by the sun-

For someone like me who suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) this is GOOD NEWS-

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on Jan 08 2011 9:20:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  05:53:09 AM  Show Profile
nini that is wonderful about your neighbor- thank you for sharing!!!!!!!that gave me goosebumps!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  06:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Here is a very small bit of good news, but I bet we all have some to share.
Our daughter Sydnee, 9 years old, started the day by wanting to run away from the gymnasium full of unknown girls practicing basketball to within an hour making her first basket at practice yesterday.

The sunshine blazing out of her eyes as she caught my gaze was magical. As we left the building she said, "Thanks for helping me be brave enough to stay Mom. I can't wait for Monday's practice."

These kinds of firsts are so sweet.
Have a fantastic day.
Rejena

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:19:57 AM  Show Profile
Rejena,

Way to go Sydnee! That's AWESOME!

When my Hannah was a little girl she entered a marathon during our towns big festival in August-A lot of kids her own age and a little over were involved. It was quite a stretch and the streets were lined with people. She had never run a "public" race and this was going to be a big one. All along the way the crowd was cheering and clapping-you know how people do especially when the little ones are involved-She had very long blond hair then-poneytailed-and she was pleasingly plump as well. I stayed at the finish line to get a "snap" of her crossing the line-Well, Rejena she came in dead last to overwhelming applause and great big smiles from both sides of the street. I want to cry just thinking about that. She did not give up. She pumped those sweet chubby legs as fast as she could and she did not give up!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile
We made dinner last night and invited over several of the neighbors. One is an older gent that lives alone. He really enjoyed it and hoped we would do more. It was nice introducing neighbors to neighbors and just sharing time and stories with each other.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:34:22 AM  Show Profile
sweet story Melody!
quote:
Originally posted by melody

Rejena,

Way to go Sydnee! That's AWESOME!

When my Hannah was a little girl she entered a marathon during our towns big festival in August-A lot of kids her own age and a little over were involved. It was quite a stretch and the streets were lined with people. She had never run a "public" race and this was going to be a big one. All along the way the crowd was cheering and clapping-you know how people do especially when the little ones are involved-She had very long blond hair then-poneytailed-and she was pleasingly plump as well. I stayed at the finish line to get a "snap" of her crossing the line-Well, Rejena she came in dead last to overwhelming applause and great big smiles from both sides of the street. I want to cry just thinking about that. She did not give up. She pumped those sweet chubby legs as fast as she could and she did not give up!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:41:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good news posts ladies. Today I'm just thankful for a morning at home with my husband and a healthy family.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  09:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Here's a local good news story from Friends of Noah, an all-breed animal resucue group here in Rock County, WI.
On Wednesday, June 16, 2010, while on her lunch break, Janesville chiropractor Shannon Carpenter, Chiropractic Wellness Center LTD, Janesville, WI drove past 2 men walking with their dogs.

It was obvious to her that one of the dogs was limping. She was not able to just ignore what she saw and turned around and pulled up beside them.

She inquired as to the need for the dog to be seen by a veterinarian

The men told her that they were homeless and veterinary care would not be possible for them, and that the dog had been hit by a car while they were walking to North Dakota. It was obvious to Shannon that the dog, a chocolate lab mix needed medical treatment. He had visible injuries to both a front and rear leg.

Shannon had a lengthy conversation with the men trying to convince them that the dog would suffer if not treated. She pleaded with them to relinquish the dog to her. She promised them she would see to it that the dog would go directly to a veterinary clinic. The men finally decided it would be in their dog’s best interest to go with Shannon.

Shannon immediately drove the dog to Badger Veterinary Hospital, where she is a client and Dr. Steve Servantez and his staff examined the dog. He determined that the rear leg had a laceration and the front leg had some minor nerve damage. Although treatment was needed, the dog would fully recover! The dog was fully vaccinated and ready to go home . . .

Now, what to do with a homeless puppy?

Shannon, a friend of Nancy Long, owner of The Dawg Zone and Dunkin Dawgs AND Board member, knew of the success stories of the Friends of Noah, WI.

Friends of Noah, WI to the rescue!!

Lois Corwin was called and told of the plight of the puppy.

Lois called Tom Livick, FON’s behavior guru. Tom knew the challenges a puppy with no prior obedience OR social training could be! Tom is now fostering “Walker”.

Nancy and the Dawg Zone/Dunkin Dawgs will provide both chiropractic care as well as hydrotherapy to ensure Walker’s full recovery.

Walker will stay in foster care until he is ready to become adopted to a forever, loving home!

A couple of months later, Walker was adopted into his furever home!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  4:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Today I had the most awesome experience! I was sitting in the living room - it was kind of early in the morning. The sun burst its brilliant rays through those heavy gray snow clouds in the sky and there was suddenly a burst of spring-like sunny shine that filled the whole room! It made everything glow! (Which, I'm afraid, is a testimony to the fact that I haven't dusted since clearing the Christmas decorations yesterday, but we won't go there! LOL!) Next came this incredibly warm, quiet, gently peaceful moment, as if time stood still. It was like God was right there saying, "Hey there, kiddo... I'm still here! Love you!" I mean, it was absolutely beautiful. That quiet peace lasted for only a few heartbeats in time, but its intensity was extremely moving and comforting. I haven't had many moments like that in my life, but oh, how I love them! The next thing I knew, the light must've hit the prism part of the cut glass in our front door because there was this spectacularly bright rainbow pattern on the wall. I just sat there watching it for a loooong time, as it slowly traveled across the wall and disappeared. It was really a magical moment. Then came another joyful ray of light which broke the silence: "What's for breakfast, Mom?" LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  7:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Today, I recieved my first invitation to attend an art show for the 2011 season!

It's been pretty quiet since a week or two before Christmas when we had our last show on our circuit----and I am more than ready to book for this year.

So tomorrow I will begin making soap to add to my existing stock-

Hmmmmm........I am thinking maybe starting with a crisp and springlike scent like Honeysuckle!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  7:57:23 PM  Show Profile
My sister and I had a falling out a few years ago. Nothing awful, but we haven't been close since. I have been spending the past week in MN visiting my family and having our belated Christmas. I made a scarf for my sister, and she later sent me a messgae that said it was one of the nicest gifts she has ever recieved. It might seem small, but it really made my day.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:07:46 AM  Show Profile
I love these stories and happy experiences! They all have inspired me in some way, and brought big smiles! Let's keep 'em coming!

<Elizabeth - I don't think that is small AT ALL! I was so happy to read your post! I hope in time things will heal between you and your sister. 'Looks like things are on their way! :)>

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  8:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Good News that will make you smile and say "Awwwwwwww!"

Three white lion cubs are presented to the public for the first time at the city zoo in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on Jan. 5. According to zoo officials, these are the first white lions to be born in South America.

Aren't they too cute??

Melody
Farmgirl #525

www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  8:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, Melody - if that doesn't make you smile, what will? :) SOOOO cute!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  8:59:02 PM  Show Profile
Okay, this is good news, but it happened a little over a week ago. As many of you know, our foster son and daughter married New Year's Eve, which just warms my heart to no end... SO great! What I hadn't shared, though, is that we received a really neat surprise at the wedding: another one of our former foster daughters' daughter was there - her mom had lived with us while she was pregnant, and we hadn't seen the child since she was a newborn! (Her father just happens to be our foster son's buddy.) The girl is now 12 years old, perky, bubbly, full of giggles and fun! She is just such a doll baby with her bright, cheery blue eyes, lovely shoulder-length yellow-blonde hair, hints of freckles here and there, and a smile that just lights up the room! My heart just loved her the second I laid eyes on her! When her dad introduced her to me, her face lit up completely and she gave me a HUGE, warm hug. She said she knew EXACTLY who I was - and was so happy to finally meet me and and my husband! I was so surprised, so overwhelmed! She gave me hugs a few times throughout the night, and called me her "special grandma." We laughed, and then in a silly way I commented how I was far too young to be a grandma yet, so let's call me her "Special Auntie Nini" instead. She liked that idea. As chance would have it, her dad doesn't live too far from us - literally two minutes away! I really hope we get to see her a little more once the weather warms up. She, my son and our foster daughter's son (our godson) hit it off famously - I just know they would be really great friends! I just smile thinking about her - such a ray of sunshine, that girl! And I'm just amazed how God worked everything together so we could meet her like this! It truly was a wonderful night of celebrating life and family! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Here's something neat to share! Recently an 11-year-old boy was dining on fried oysters with his family at an establishment in Ligonier, PA, when he felt something in his mouth -

The boy is quoted as saying, "[The owner] came out and she said, 'I think we have some oysters in there, do you want [the cook] to fry some up?' and I'm like, 'Okay, I'll have some oysters.' and my grandma's like, 'Oh joy, another $20.' I picked one up, put it in my mouth and hear this grinding sound. I spit it out and there's a big pearl in my hand.

"I was actually pretty lucky to find it. I read in the paper that it was one out of 25,000 so when I read that I was like, 'Wow.' I feel really special right now."

When pearls are found in this manner, they are not usually uniform in shape and are often discolored. His pearl, however, is a beautiful, pearly white and in a lovely tear-drop shape! Unfortunately, the news stations have all inquired and the pearl is of little monetary value. Nevertheless, I'd say the boy has really great story to tell, and quite a neat little lucky charm to show with it! I can just see him recounting the tale to his grandkids one day! To me, this is a TRULY priceless treasure!

And don't you know, this positive-thinking 11-year old says he now plans to order oysters every time he goes out to eat! LOL! Best of luck to him, I say - and to poor Grandma's purse!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 11 2011 4:39:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm sure most of us are aware by now, but it's still good news to share! The President announced tonight at the Tucson Memorial that Congresswoman Giffords opened her eyes for the first time today! YES!!!!! That is such WONDERFUL news! Let's keep her in our thoughts and prayers!

Please share your stories, girls - I know I'm not the only one with good news to share!!!

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  06:11:12 AM  Show Profile
The Faith United Church in Milton, WI is opening up a youth center in a historic building that used to be part of the College that closed. It will be faith based but everyone is welcome. It will be geared toward the 12-16 year olds. Another youth center just opened in another local town and is going strong. I think this is a great idea, I have good memories from my teen years of youth centers and the positive influence they can have on teens.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  06:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Yay, I found this!! What joy and blessings are getting posted here!! I am truly hoping to begin a 'gratitude' journey and to begin to look at the glass 'half full' rather than 'half empty' as I so often struggle with!!

For today? It has been really cold and snowy out here, BUT, the sun has broken thru the last couple days. The sun shining on the snow makes it sparkle and it just seems fresh and clean if that makes any sense? It has looked very pretty!!

AND, I love your countdown to spring, Nini!! Already thinking of what I might container garden for herbs on my balcony this spring!! Can't wait!!

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  06:49:40 AM  Show Profile
I've been working on a trilogy for years now. The joys of first novels. I finished the third the end of Novemeber after some very tough critiques. I knew I needed to go through them all again. I had learned some things since I had last worked on the first two and there were consistency issues I had to deal with. Yesterday I completed the first book. Whew, and I have started sending out query letters to agents.

Thanks for the topic. It's helping me remember the little things, too.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini for starting this thread. You really are to be commended for the heart warming stories here. To Melody... it is now 67 days until Spring. I'm one of those that prefers the sunshine, digging in the dirt and mowing my lawn. The snow is beautiful & purposeful though. God is good.

I have loved the stories you all have shared... all different, but all equally important.

I must admit, that over the last several weeks, it seems, I have had some trials that have wounded my heart. It is sometimes a struggle to remember that God has all things in hand, but this thread is one of the proofs that truly that is true and all is well. In the midst of my own personal "doom & gloom" I realized yesterday that Staci had chosen me to be the FGOTM. She had mentioned it, but I thought the honor would have had to be chosen from so many others more worthy than I. I am soooo thankful & uplifted..(I am not tooting my own horn), but this is only to say, that this special honor came at a time when I was extremely low & needed to be appreciated. Sometimes timing is everything and it makes everything a bit sweeter. I am humbled...and that is a good thing.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:12:24 AM  Show Profile
I believe we are talking here about Good News...... I think this more than qualifies for Good and actually under a MIRACLE unfolding before our very eyes for all to see....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110113/ap_on_he_me/us_congresswoman_shot_recovery

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Claudia,

Congratulations!

Carole

In light, love, and friendship!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Carole...thank you. I didn't realize how great a blessing until I received it.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Gather up for the Farmgirl Good News Report! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page