adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  07:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Has any ever used glass jars as bell jars or protectors for sensitive plants, I want to get a glass cutter, and remove the bottoms of jars and see if I could use these as warmers for new plants and to protect them from pests until the plant gets established, I use large plastic containers as such and they work well to divert water into my tomatoe plants, but I don't know if the glass would cook the plant.

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  4:03:36 PM  Show Profile
I've used them late in the afternoon and at night and uncovered them during the day. I know, at least here, that the glass cooks my plants during the day!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  7:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Inge, I have several old gallon-size glass bottles with the bottoms cut off that I use for cloches and I don't have any trouble with them getting too hot as long as the top is open for ventilation. My dad's uncle made these and used them in his garden for many years before he passed away. I like them because they don't blow away as easily as plastic bottles.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  8:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Inge! What a GREAT idea!!! Thank you! And thank you also, Elaine & Marilyn, for your insight! I have some glass jars here, too, and I am really, really excited about using them for this purpose! AWESOME! :) - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Uses for glass jars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page