Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic
Page: of 10

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  03:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh My Gosh ! David Sedaris is so funny (as far as I'm concerned ) His story about being an elf in a mall had me crying I was laughing so hard the first time I read it. Sometimes his stories are very serious, but he has a way with words! That is for certain!
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  05:45:18 AM  Show Profile
I had to respond to this string only because the name peapodjane caught my attention! What a great name...reminds me of the Anne Geddes photos - a baby face in a pea pod. I've read several of the books that have been mentioned on this thread - and am inspired to pick up some that have been mentioned. Right now I'm not reading anything...trying to put my garden to bed the proper way this year and also planning several holiday get togethers. scatter joy -Emmerson
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  08:56:15 AM  Show Profile
I thought of another series that those of you who like the Harmony and Mitford series might enjoy: Heavenly Daze by Lori Copeland. It set on an island in Maine inhabited by both humans and angels. Each book focuses on different characters on the Island. It is a sweet series with heartwarming stories.
Bonnie

You can read better accounts than I can give here:http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=94244&netp_id=276636&event=EBRN&item_code=WW

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  4:55:27 PM  Show Profile
I am now reading "Lover's Knot" the newest book in the Shenendoah Album Quilt series by Emilie Richards..I loved the first too..such neat characters and quilts ..and this one is great so far too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  10:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Jenny, I wish I could get all these books you mention at my library - it is just too expensive to keep buying them from the US!! The Shenendoah Album Quilt series sounds good. I have read the first two books in the Elm Creek Quilt series - I loved them - is this similar? What is the story about?
Another question re the Elm Creek Quilt series. Can anyone list them for me in order? As I said, I have read the first two thinking that was all there was - then was on amazon and saw there are heaps in the series. Not available here!! Maybe I'll gradually order some!
Still reading Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik - loving it!
Thanks and best wishes,
Jayne

Edited by - daffodil dreamer on Nov 13 2006 10:06:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  12:15:41 AM  Show Profile
The Shenendoah Album series is very different from the Elm Creek quilts series..but I bet you would like them...hey..I would be happy to send you the first two books..I have them..bought used and would love to find a home for them. The one I am reading now is from the library..they had to get it through an interlibrary loan from Salt Lake City..boy that took forever. It is a brand new book..I don't think it has been out long. I probably won't buy it....so you are welcome to the first two. The first one, Wedding Ring, is a hardback and the second one, Endless Chain is a paperback. The story is set in the present, with parts that go back and explain why people in the book ARE they way they are. The first one starts with a grand daughter who goes to help her grandma who has holed up in her rural home (in Virginnia) and a neighbor has called and said he is concerned. She is horrified to find that her grandma has become a major pack rat..beyond normal for sure and is living amid piles and piles of junk and has come out of her own house for a month..with all that goes along with that. Her mom comes eventually too, and there is a real tension between the three women, who end up spending the summer gettting the Grandma's home back in order and figuring out what to do about her care and all..other really good characters, as well as all sorts of interesting relationships are brought out. REally really good..the second one has alot of the same people but the main story is about a south american gal who comes to the town and gets a job as the sexton at the local church..she is very mysterious and you really don't find out her whole history until the end..very good..and amid all this is the quilting...Helen (the grandma in the first book...who is a main character in all the books) is obsessed with quilting and very expert. She loves to teach others to quilt and there is a quilt group..most prominent in the second book. In the third book..which I am only 1/3 through so far, the main character (another newcomer coming to the community to heal) has inheirited a quilt and wants to find it's history. She is primarily interested in signature quilts. I am betting she will be taught to quilt by Helen before the end of the book. I hope I didn't just make a jumble of the stories..there is more to them..very different than the Elm Creek ones..but very heavy on the history and women and quilts too...and relationships.
I loved Oh My stars..that was a good one! I need to look for more books by her.
Just let me know if you would like the books and I will get them off to you.
I will look at my newest Elm Creek book (Circle of Quilters is the newest one) and get that list for you. I have them all and love them..

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  04:47:03 AM  Show Profile
KJD, I do have Giant--loved it but was disappointed when I rented the movie... I think there was some miscasting... Eliz. Taylor was not right, IMHO. Ice Palace, by Edna Ferber, is a great book on the Alaskan pre-statehood years. I really enjoyed that, too. I love her books where there's a "good protagonist". Sometimes no-one is very high minded....bummer.

I'm currently re-reading Eliz. Prentiss' Stepping Heavenward, written in the 19th century. Katy begins on her 16th birthday, full of extreme emotions and passions. She gradually grows into such a beautiful model of womanhood. It always inspires me...
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  08:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Peapod Jane and LaLuna--I love David Sedaris, too!!!! We just went to see him in a live reading at the Aronoff Theatre. The reading was from Dress Your Kids in Corduroy and Denim....I've always thought the best way to "read" him is to hear him read his own works, so if you can ever get books on tape, do so!!!! I love his sister, Amy, also. She has a new book out called "I like you" or something. She's a hoot.

I'm currently reading the "Fieldguide to American Houses" which is rather long, but full of technical information and illustrations. If you like architecture, and are always looking at old houses and wondering about them, this is one for you!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  1:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Try "The Rural Life" buy Veryn Klinkenborg. Beautifully written. Had fun with "Whale Season" by NM Kelby . Glued to "The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow (set in San Diego, so lots of local landmarks for me) and "I Feel Bad About My Neck" by Nora Ephron (covering the trials of aging...)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  2:14:35 PM  Show Profile
I am reading THE PENDERWICKS right now and find it to be a cute little story. I enjoyed SO BIG and AUNT JANE OF KENTUCKY by Eliza Calvert Hall very much as well. The AUNT JANE book is a beautiful, old fashioned book with great writing. David Sedaris is so hysterical too. His story about Euthanasia had me dying of laughter and there is one about Santa Claus that is so funny. I have picked up many of the books recommended here and in the cooking thread. If you have not read THE RED TENT, that is another fabulous book (but not funny or an easy read like some of the others). If you have kids and are looking to give them something sweet and old fashioned, Lois Lensky wrote a bunch of books about different places and people. SHOO FLY GIRL is about an Amish girl and is adorable. As a teacher, I am always looking for wholesome books for my students who are not ready to read about "heavy" issues. These books fit the bill and I love them too. If you love books that are a bit spiritual, I am reading MAMA MADE THE DIFFERENCE by T.D. Jakes. It's a tribute to mothers (his in particular) and how they hold the world together. Gotta love a man who recognizes that!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  9:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,
You are a sweetie!! I would LOVE those books if you are happy to part with them - let me know what I can swap for them. First, better check on postage costs though - I don't want you to spend a fortune on postage. See how you go.
Thanks so much - famrgirls are just so great!!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  10:21:47 AM  Show Profile
I emailed you Jayne!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  6:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,
I sent you an email - thanks so much!!
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  8:38:20 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad they will be going to a good home!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  11:46:10 AM  Show Profile
Out of the blue my boss let me borrow her copy of Firstlight by Sue Monk Kidd. I will start that tonight.
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  12:41:45 PM  Show Profile
What? She wrote another book? Let me know how this one is, I loved her SECRET LIVES OF BEES, was not crazy about THE MERMAID CHAIR.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  2:07:38 PM  Show Profile
I have never read any of her work before. Never even heard of her. My boss mentioned the author of "The Secret Life of Bees", and I knew I had read that one of the girls here had read it. This book seems to be a compilation of articles (stories) she wrote for Guideposts and other magazines.
Will let you know what I think.
Have you started O Pioneers?
Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  4:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, you have to read the secret life of bees, I always do what you tell me to.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  6:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie..I agree..you would like it for sure!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  04:08:40 AM  Show Profile
My mom gave me her copy of secret life of bees a while back and I have never started it maybe I will. I have been rereading my stack of The Cat who mysteries by Lillian Jackson Braun.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  04:27:27 AM  Show Profile
My mom LOVES those Cat who...mysteries! When I finish the book I am on I will get the secret lives of bees. Nicie, you and I can read that one together!
Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  08:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Nancy--I'm with you...I LOVED Secret Life of Bees and have given it away many, many times as a "here, you need this book" gift and had to buy it again for myself, but I just checked out Mermaid Chair from the library and really was kindof...I don't know, let down? Curious, what about the book didn't register with you?

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  10:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Guess I was expecting it to be as good as her first one. Maybe if I hadn't read "SECRET LIFE OF BEES" I would have like the MERMAID CHAIR. I wonder if I should read it again to make sure I didn't like it? I guess BEES was believable and MERMAID was a little out there.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  1:27:24 PM  Show Profile
I waited to read MERMAID since I knew it could never be as good as BEES. I thought it was pretty nice really, but since it was about 3 years ago that I read BEES, that probably helped. I recommend her books to my students who are above grade level and they share them with their moms too. I did not get her nonfiction book yet, so maybe in a few weeks. I am reading Lou Dobb's book called THE WAR ON THE MIDDLE CLASS right now. Pretty good stuff even if it makes you a little angry.
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  10:36:58 AM  Show Profile
I have gone thru all 15 pages of posts under this topic and found some wonderful books to read. I am especially interested in small town and rural life. Thanks everyone.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page