Author Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic
Page: of 10

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  07:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, can you give more details on that history of food in america? I am involved with a living history project that's focused on early american food, so that might be a good resource. Does it have lots of pictures?

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I'm reading Eliot Coleman's Four-Season Harvest. It's wonderful! I only wish I had found it a lil sooner so that i could plant some of his amazing carrots. I still may if I can find a way to make a small greenhouse.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  4:14:06 PM  Show Profile
I am reading It's a Jungle Out There by Ron Snell. It is a humorous account of Ron's growing up years as a child of missionary parents in the Amazon. It is the type of book that makes you laugh out loud.
I am also reading through MaryJane's book...that is how I ended up here.

Edited by - Beemoosie on Oct 25 2006 4:14:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading Marley & Me, It is adorable so far!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  10:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Sarah,
I love Eliot Coleman's books - I have that one and the organic market gardener one. It is my dream one day to be able to use this book to help me with my owm market garden/farm!!! Such good ideas he has!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  05:43:34 AM  Show Profile
I just started the New Mitch Albom book. Cant remember what it's called though.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  06:08:35 AM  Show Profile
The Five People You Meet in Heaven (?)Let me know how you liked it, the last one of his, "Tuesdays with Morrie" was quite good.

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Oct 27 2006 06:09:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  07:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Nope its called "For One More Day". It just came out in Hardcover a few weeks ago. It is quite good so far!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  1:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Just finished "The Eight" by Katherine Neville. If you liked the Davinci code you would really like this one. Not something I would have normaly read, I couldn't put it down.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  6:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Okay back to For One More Day...I started it last night and finished it today. It was REALLY good!!!!!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  7:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
A friend lent me her book "Little Star a book of Poems" by mark Halliday. Outstanding conversation poetry. A must read and I am not big into poetry til now.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  6:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Reading "Not Buying It: My year without Shopping" by Judith Levine. I hooted when I came to page 77 and saw MJF mentioned in a paragraph about magazines, "A new entry, MaryJanesFarm, is Martha Stewart Living with dirt under its nails and a clean criminal record".

Just to explain - I did NOT buy this book, although I almost did! But went to the library and borrowed it instead.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Nov 07 2006 6:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  8:26:47 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good one..I have been hearing about it..I may have to see if the library here has it. I just got a call that one I have been waiting for is here for me to pick up
"Lover's KNot" by Emilie Richards..in the Shenendoah Album series (3rd one) I am excited to read it. I am about halfway through my 3rd Harmony series book (Life Goes On) by Phillip Gulley..and loving it as much as the last two. I just do not understand people who arn't readers!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  02:59:13 AM  Show Profile
I've been inspired by Libbie and Amie C to pick up some of my favorite poetry again. I'm reading T.S. Eliot's Wasteland for the first time; and rereading some George Herbert and Wordsworth.
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  04:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Just got "O PIONEERS" in the mail yesterday, so that will be my next one. Someone here recommended it. I should spend more time reading and less time walking around the house and taking blog pictures.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  04:23:18 AM  Show Profile
I'am waiting for the first book in the Harmony series. I was hoping to get the boxed set of the series but didn't see any place where there was such a thing.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  04:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo,
It sounds like you already ordered the first book in the harmony series, but if not here is a link to buy the set:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=harmony+series&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.

Edited by - Beemoosie on Nov 08 2006 04:32:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  04:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
Good to know about this site, then when I want the rest of them I will know right where to get them. I read the whole Midford series so have to think I will like this one too.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  05:20:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh I LOVED the Mitford Series! Did you get the cookbook! I love it...has a section on aprons in there too!
Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  05:27:59 AM  Show Profile
OH NO!!!! ANOTHER MUST HAVE BOOK, will the fun never end?
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  05:46:10 AM  Show Profile
OH Yes! Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader! It's a beauty! Here ya go...
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=32399&netp_id=349153&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW

And to correct myself it is not a "section" on aprons...it's a page. But the book is gorgeous...full of recipes(that I use)excerpts from the book and musings by Jan Karon. It is 356 pages and worth the buying if you love the Mitford Series.

Edited by - Beemoosie on Nov 08 2006 05:50:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  3:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Phils Ann:
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Sorry - hit the button!
Phils Ann - Edna Ferber is the author of Giant, which is a big book of Texas - the movie starred Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor and James Dean. I guess it may be a Texas thing? I've known of her all my life - anyway, yes, she has other books. I will look for So Big! Thanks to all for all the great suggestions. I have found many great books here. Has anyone seen the book called The Penderwicks? I saw it months ago at B&N, but didn't want to buy it new in hardback. Yesterday, saw it in hardback at Target for much less and bought it - can't wait to read. Right now I'm reading a lot of China Bayle cozy mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert. I also constantly read Under the Tuscan Sun and On Rue Tatin by Susan Hermann Loomis.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  3:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah - another book I got at Target yesterday is Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad about My Neck. A series of essays on aging and womanhood - I just love her - Sleepless in Seattle, Heartburn, When Harry Met Sally, etc. I fell asleep reading it last night, but she's just understatedly entertaining!
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  6:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Heehee - it's almost time to pull out David Sedaris's Santaland Diaries! I love his work - sooo funny!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page