Page: of 10

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  9:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
I'm reading "The Tightwad Gazette III". Some of the money saving tips are really useful- makes me realize how much better I can do with our budget! The other one is a complete guide to sewing! Can you tell I am trying to learn some new things? =)

Oh Jayne- Beverly Lewis books are wonderful- I've read and re-read them!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  10:24:09 PM  Show Profile
The Tightwad Gazette - another book I can't seen to get hold of! I've seen it mentioned in a number of other things I have read - but I do look on the website.
Maybe I'll just have to buy a Beverley Lewis book on amazon - so many girls have said they love them!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  11:27:07 PM  Show Profile
I love the tightwad gazette books too..I bought all three used and re read them often.
They have the Beverly Lewis books quite cheaply on Amazon all the time Jayne..that is where I have got alot of mine..all used. I am waiting for the new one in the Annie's People series to come out..Oct. 1st! Our library does get them, luckily, but not right away..very small town.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  04:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I love the Tightwad Gazette books - nice to pull them out for inspiration from time to time. Mostly what I read right now are spiritual/meditation...just don't have time to read anything else right now. Anyone else fall asleep when trying to read? LOL

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I really like the Tightwad Gazette books, also. I hadn't even heard of them until somebody mentioned them in the "Reading Room" a while back - farmgirls have such great resources to share!!!

Julia - count me in as one who, at this point in time, falls asleep while trying to read...or eat...or think!!! (I think it may have to do with having two sick kids and a cold myself...)

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  1:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have the set of three in one volume (Tightwad Gazette, that is) and love it! Good luck to those looking for a copy.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  7:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Just got back from holiday and while away I found a great secondhand bookshop. I wanted heaps, but managed to limit myself somehow! So now I am reading Cookery of the Prairie Homesteader by Louise K. Nickey published in 1976 (it is even signed by the author). Lots of basic recipes for farm produce and lots of stories, so I am reading it like a book. Just finished reading a story about basket socials - do these still exist - anyone participated in one? She also mentions how she read and re-read the Elsie books as a child. Does anyone know what these are?
Happy reading all,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  8:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Just got a couple new books on Amazon.com (used) started reading "Angry Housewives eating BonBons" last night...I really like it so far (it is about a bookclub...4 women)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  10:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Jayne,
Go to Amazon and type in ELSIE, it comes up as a boxed set of books, I belive four of them.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jakemollycamper
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carol
Liberty Center Oh
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  06:28:56 AM  Show Profile
My son just found out that is is going to be stationed (Army Scout) at Fort Wainwright Alaska so I have started reading bookd about Alaska both fiction and non-fiction. I started with Sue Henry's myst and am now reading Tracie Peterson's Yukon Series. Any other suggesttions?

Laughter is Good Medicine.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  1:31:34 PM  Show Profile
I just re-read the entire Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" series. I found the same 1971 boxed set I had a child (now long gone) on eBay for under $11.00! I guarantee my farmgirl yearnings started with that series. It's been 30 years since I first read them, but the nostalgia was overwhelming - I remember hand-sewing rag dolls, like Laura's Charlotte, in our lovely old surburban Chicago prewar apartment. And of course, who could ever forget that mean Nellie Olesen?
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  1:50:20 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Aunt Jenny

I love "Bon Bons" and all of author Lorna Landvik's books.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile
I got another one too...Oh my Stars..to read when I finish this one. I am loving Bon Bons!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  5:20:51 PM  Show Profile
I love Sue Henry! Have you read Dana Stabenow's mystery series? Also, didn't Michener have an Alaska book?

quote:
Originally posted by jakemollycamper

My son just found out that is is going to be stationed (Army Scout) at Fort Wainwright Alaska so I have started reading bookd about Alaska both fiction and non-fiction. I started with Sue Henry's myst and am now reading Tracie Peterson's Yukon Series. Any other suggesttions?

Laughter is Good Medicine.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 11 2006 5:23:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  06:35:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy, for letting me know about the Elsie books - I'll go to amazon and take a look. Although I have just placed an order there - I finally bought Tasha Tudor's cookbook after reading so many recommendations here for it!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  08:29:21 AM  Show Profile
I just read God's in Alabama for my book club. Was a GREAT book. I am currently reading The Pony express which is REALLY interesting!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Jon Katz's new book about his border collie "Orson", get out your hankies girls........... jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  3:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Just finished "Oh my Stars" by Lorna Landvik..really good!!
I don't have a new book to read today..jeesh! I WILL be at the library tomorrow morning. yesterday I ordered the first three books in Phillip Gulley's Harmony series used on Amazon. com..but I won't be able to wait THAT long for a book to read. I guess I could re-read one of the zillion books around here...but there are so many waiting to be read right at the library!! hehee
Oh gosh Jo...Those sad pet stories get me every time. I will have to look for the one about Orson!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  6:58:22 PM  Show Profile
I was out of new books and have re-read most of my favorites at least once. Today at Target I found Charles Frazier's "Thirteen Moons", an historical novel about a white boy who became the trader in the Cherokee nation. Frazier wrote "Cold Mountain".... and I came here to the computer to stop reading so eventually I will get to sleep. I also found "The Secret Life of Bees" which I read about on this thread, pages ago. Aren't books addicting??? How, I wonder, do folks go through a day without reading.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  9:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh the secret life of bees was wonderful!!! I will have to look for Thirteen Moons. I liked COld Mountain. I CAN'T go a day without reading!! How do folks do that???? Today I helped with bookmobile at the elementary school..just checking out books for the kids with a scanner thing..pretty fun and I get to talk to all the kids...and forgot to bring a book..so I grabbed Anne of the Island..the third Anne of Green Gables book. I hated to put it back...I will have to read that one again. I know i have it here....somewhere!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  9:56:33 PM  Show Profile
I have just finished reading The Tall Pine Polka by Lorna Landvik. I loved it! I borrowed it as someone recommended Oh My Stars but that was out at the library. Now I have that to read next! I'll have to look for The Secret Life of Bees next.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  04:32:08 AM  Show Profile
I love all the "Anne" books. Actually, I should include any LM Montgomery....all the ones I've read are GREAT! I re-read them from time to time, and right now a friend has loaned me the audio of "Anne of Green Gables", which I listen to when upstairs in the sewing room, as well as "Levi's Will", by Dale Cramer, which I listen to when sewing in the living room. Levi's Will is about an Amish man who left in the 1940's, in disgrace... a really good read.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  10:25:43 AM  Show Profile
I must be a wierdo...Patricia Cornwell's "The Body Farm"

Today well-lived makes every yesterday a fream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope. --Sanskrit Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  1:34:22 PM  Show Profile
I read the excerpt of Jon Katz's "Orson" on Slate.com. I always enjoy his columns there. I had a bad feeling about where this story was going to go...but don't tell me, I'll read the book.

I just finished two very good non-fiction books:

Dark Ages America, by Morris Berman (not very cheerful, but I think it's a pretty realistic look at our current political/cultural state - if you've ever wondered how the world got to be such a mess, he's put a few of the pieces together here)

The Ordeal of the Longhouse: the Peoples of the Iroquois League in the Era of European Colonization, by Daniel K. Richter (describes diplomatic relations between the Iroquois and the various European nations moving into New York during the seventeenth century - makes an interesting counterpoint to the book above as it also deals with imperialism and the weakening of a powerful people)

These are not light reading - I had to renew them at the library three times!

Now I'm reading a Miss Marple mystery to soothe my weary brains :)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  9:39:53 PM  Show Profile
gosh .. i don't believe i've heard of 98% of the books you gurlz listed! i'm reading a most wonderful book on the 'history of food in america'. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page