Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  6:38:00 PM  Show Profile
My daughter wanted to make it known that she finished DAiry Queen (Loved it) and is now reading "Semi Precious" by D. Ann Love.
I will have to have her look for the other books you mentioned!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jakemollycamper
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carol
Liberty Center Oh
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Jenny and others,

The Christian comic I told you about in my post is Serenity not Sarndipity. My girls finished #4 and can't wait to get to the librery for #5. Picked up this weekend at our annual Liberty Days Festival 3 bags of books ( most like new) for a small donation to the Library. Any books left after books are donated to varies shelter's are going to be burned. How sad, I saved as many as I could. Anyone out there have an other idea what to do with these books. Help, good books are dying.

Laughter is Good Medicine.
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  7:59:14 PM  Show Profile
My neice really enjoys the Serenity books as well, she read right through the first three quickly. I think she'll probably get 4 and 5 for Christmas this year. Excelent suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  07:39:49 AM  Show Profile
just finished reading "Baby Doe Tabor" ... fascinating rags to riches and back to rags true story .. of a young woman who married a silver tycoon .. (it was widely believed that she 'broke up' a marriage to do so .. and he was indeed destined for very HIGH political positions. She lived te life of a queen with all her new riches ... but when silver bellied-up .. they lost it all! Much to the disbelief of all who thought she married him ONLY for his money ... she stayed with him t'il the day he died. She was found frozen to death .. her body in a 'cross-shape' on the floor of her cabin by the Matchless Mine in Colorado .. which her husband told her to never, ever give up because it would make her rich again. She went from living in the best houses in Denver to a small log cabin .. wearing the finest dresses and jewels to binding her feet in burlap and tying it with string for shoes. She had two daughters who also had interesting lives. BEAUTIFUL girls (as was Baby Doe Tabor) ... one daughter just ended up forsaking her mother and leaving and never returning or seeing her again for as long as she lived .. the other .. the 'favored daughter' .. ended up telling her mother (as a young adult) that she was leaving to join a convent ... Baby Doe read in the newspapers that her daughter had actually be scalded to death in a seedy hotel room .. and had been living a life of tragedy.

WOW! lives lived are the most amazing stories .. even more profound that 'novels' of made-up lives!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  07:43:47 AM  Show Profile
oh .. p.s. i really enjoyed this book because the stories all took place in Denver and the silver mines .. where we used to live! There was a little 'hippie kid' .. who used to dig at the old silver mines up in Leadville (where Baby Doe lived) ... and he would sometimes take me with him! Both Tabor and Baby Doe are buried in a cemetary in Denver only blocks from where we lived.

ALSO .. The "UNSINKABLE" Molly Brown lived only blocks away too (she was the Titanic heroinne) ... and she, too, went from RAGS to RICHES. I was a 'docent' at her home which was open to tourists! Neither Molly nor Baby Doe were ever 'acceptable' in society ... Molly never lost her 'crudeness' and the women did not include her in social functions. Baby Doe was see as a 'home-wrecker' and wicked and was never accepted.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

jakemollycamper
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carol
Liberty Center Oh
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  12:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Unsinable Molly Brown is one of my favorite movies. My girls can sing all the songs and enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  2:14:05 PM  Show Profile
I love that one too...Debbie Reynolds was so good in all those old movies..but I think Molly was my favorite!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  2:53:44 PM  Show Profile
I just started reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield today.It is about a young woman who works with her father in a bookstore in England who is asked to write a biography on a very aged, ailing author. I am only on page 21, but I have to tell you that the writing is absolutely lyrical! I have a feeling that this book is going to pull me in and not let go until I turn the last page. Eek. I love good literature!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  3:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Ooh Karin, that one sounds good. I'll have to check it out. I've been reading a bunch of knitting books lately (when I'm not knitting and chasing the baby) and the latest on my nightstand is "Knitting Rules" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (a.k.a. the Yarn Harlot: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog). I went to see her at a book-signing and talk in Wisconsin last week and it was such a hoot. She's hilarious! I love the way she categories knitters and non-knitters (a.k.a. "Muggles"). We're big Potter fans here too, so that went over well!

I make a point to read at least a chapter every night before bed - no matter how tired I am - otherwise I would never read anymore. Something about having an almost-8-month-old to chase around the house...

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jakemollycamper
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carol
Liberty Center Oh
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  3:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
My reading list just got longer. I'm still interested in books for young teens. when I go to the library I tell my husband "I'm going shopping."

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  4:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I am reading bullet proof george washington. ( more of a documentary type of book not very long.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  04:59:44 AM  Show Profile
I just finished such a farmgirl book.... by Edna Ferber, called SO BIG. It was written in 1924 and celebrates a heroine who in desperation and hard work makes a very successful and beautiful farm out of a bog left to her. Two character's words regarding Selina:

She was the first person to tell me what beauty was--is. She's magnificent. She raises vegetables.

With that fine splendid face all lit up with the light that comes from inside....

I want to read more of Edna Ferber. Has anyone else found her?

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  7:00:20 PM  Show Profile
If you have never read MY ANTONIA, by Willa Cather, I recommend it. It's a lovely portrayal of life in the sometimes harsh prairie back in the old days. I found it to be so beautifully written and the characters seemed so genuine. I think many of you would love it.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  10:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love both My Antonia (read it about 6 months ago) AND So Big...funny how alot of us have the same taste in books..those two are both such good choices. I only have about 5 pages left of my book. I will NEED to make a library stop tomorrow..no books waiting to be next like usual!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

jakemollycamper
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carol
Liberty Center Oh
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  04:59:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently reading One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus. It's fiction based on the history of the exchange bride for horses by Grant to the Cheyenne Nation. It's one woman's journal, May Dodd, of her life as the "bride" of a Cheyenne Chief. I'm reading it for my book club so it will be interesting to see how the others feel about the book. I'm only halfway through so I'll wait to rate the book after I'm done. Any feedback?

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  05:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Carol,
I have seen this book, and almost ordered it, but will wait to see what you think.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  07:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
All these books sound so good...if I'm not careful I'll climb inside of a book and never get anything done! The latest on my reading list is Writtings to Young Women from Laura Ingalls Wilder volumes one and two. I have read a few chapters from the first and am really enjoying it. Since I love her anyway (she was my childhood hero) I know this is going to be a great read. Hopefuly by the time I am done with these Not Buying It( can't remember the author) will have come in so I can start right into that.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23

Edited by - BarefootGoatGirl on Sep 21 2006 07:06:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  9:34:14 PM  Show Profile
I just read a book about Jack the Ripper called "Portrait of a Killer". The author, Patricia Cornwell, uses modern forensic evidence to back her belief that she has discovered the killer's true identity. The evidence is quite compelling, but the grisly details of the crimes might overwhelm some. Recommended, but not for the faint of heart.
I'm just finishing up "Under the Tuscan Sun"...so delightful. The descripions of the people, villages & food are incredible. Like a virtual vacation. I highly reccommend it!
Haven't seen the movie, but may look for it-just for the scenery!
Love "My Antonia" too ladies!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  07:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, have you read Patricia Cornwell's bio of Ruth Graham? It's amazing. Patricia Cornwell's mysteries and this bio are so different, it's hard to believe the same person can author both. However, she's known Ruth since she was a little girl.

I love Laura Ingalls Wilder. Also love MY ANTONIA. We do all seem to have similar tastes! Currently I'm reading THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, and must say it starts rather slowly but is really good. The movie kept the characters "in character" so to speak, but changed the story all to pieces. I expect to be looking for more of "The Leatherstocking Tales" after I finish this one.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  6:33:58 PM  Show Profile
No Ann, This is the first thing I've read by Cornwell. I will see if my library has the Ruth Graham bio! I'm interested to see her different writing styles. The "Ripper" book was very well written, but of course, disturbing. A friend urged me to read it so we could discuss "the case". LOL
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  5:39:08 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Just finished the very best book--"Oh, My Stars" by Lorna Landvik. Her books are similar to Fanny Flagg's.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  6:56:20 PM  Show Profile
I LOVED "One Thousand White Women", also enjoy Lorna Landvik's writing. Just finished "Our Endangered Values" by Jimmy Carter (I admire him very much), "Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon" by Ghiglieri and Myers (about all the dangers of the Grand Canyon...very eye-opening). Just started "walking Lazarus" by TL Hines and "Nobody KNows My History" a biography of Joseph Smith; which was reccomended by a friend. SO far, so good. I too enjoyed "My Antonia".
Read on!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  7:06:35 PM  Show Profile
"The life book of Mary Watt" a favorite of mine. Today I picked up a book called,"God's Country and the Woman" It is an old hardback, never heard of the author, but got it cause of the title. Will see if it was worth the $1.99.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  8:46:07 PM  Show Profile
oooooooooh Connie...I am going to look for Oh My stars ...sounds perfect. I don't have a new book to read right now and have been whiney about it all day. MUST go to the library tomorrow!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  9:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Just logged on to my library catalogue and have reserved a copy of Oh My Stars - they also had The Tall Pine Polka by the same author, so reserved that too!!
This is the first time my library has had something recommended by you gals - I looked up So Big and My Antonia - no luck! I am also desperate to read the Beverley Lewis books about the Amish, but they don't have them either!! Why can't the library just have all the books in the world!!!
Now I can't wait until these books come in - for the moment, I am reading Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. It always makes me laugh!
To my girls, I am reading an Irish book called The Hounds of the Morrigan. A fantasy type - quite good so far. I read to them every night - a few chapters from a novel. It is always a big discussion as we near the end of one, what the next one should be! I'm trying to convince them to go with the Little House books again, but I don't know if I'll win as we read them only recently! My oldest likes fantasy, she has one called Ingo about a mermaid that looks good - that might be it!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page