True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  08:23:24 AM  Show Profile
ANN,
No didn't read the "Hannah Fowler" book, but will put it on my list. I liked the "Believers", so I know I like her writing style.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  1:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Right now, I'm reading "The Dexter Cow" by W.R. Thrower, as well as "Keeping a Family Cow" by Joann Grohman (as recommended by Aunt Jenny). Not exactly exciting reading under normal circumstances, but I'm REALLY excited that it's coming up on AI time for my little cow, Bridgit. I'm also reading "Finding Your Own North Star" by Martha Beck - a really inspiring book about figuring out what you really want and having the courage and "stick-to-it-iveness" to get it.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  4:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Just got At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon yesterday at the library. It's the first in a series about an Episcopal priest who lives in a small NC town and his dealing with his parishoners. So far it's pretty funny. I love series books. Also got books 2 through 5 of the latest Amish series by Beverly Lewis but am waiting for the first one to come in before I can start. Can't read out of order.

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com Free shipping through 9/15.

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Aug 30 2006 4:44:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  5:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Kay- You will love the Mitford books!! I have read all of them, and each one makes me wish that I could actually meet the characters. Just love Father Tim. I always thought that if they made a movie, he should be played by Anthony Hopkins. :)
Right now I am reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. It is our book group choice for this month. In fact, we meet tomorrow night!! I love his tongue-in-cheek approach to such a serious subject.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  8:06:02 PM  Show Profile
I am reading " The Saddlemaker's Wife" by Earlene Fowler right now. The last two books I read were both by Sandra Dallas and I really loved them..."Alice's Tulips" and " The Persian Pickle Club"...both were very good!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  1:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

Some of you may be interested in a website called www.librarything.com. It allows you to list books you own, are reading, have read, etc., post reviews, read reviews others have written, and so on. It's a great resource for getting new ideas as well. Best of all, it's a free site :-)
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  2:53:05 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

"Library thing" was down just now but looks really cool.

I read a book last weekend called The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. I stayed up all night Sat night until I had finished it. I looked up as I finished and thought "oh my gosh, it is light out!" Deals with the story of twins. The father gives the female twin away at birth; the mother thinks that the baby girl died.

Yesterday I read The Amethyst Heart by Penelope Stokes. I love her books. This takes place in Mississippi from the mid-1800's until about 1996. Family homestead, matriarch fighting to keep it etc etc

Today at lunch I started The All True Travels of Lidie Newton by Jane Smiley. Story of a young, white, female abolitionist who moves to Kansas to help establish it as a Free State.

Also read a fascinating book called Shantaram which deals with an escaped convicts life in Bombay/Mumbai. Sounds dreadful but it was mesmerizing--read it for my book group. Never would have picked it out on my own.

Too many books, too little time.

Connie
Texas Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  02:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Connie, wow! You are one well read chick. I am a readaholic too. The Memory Keepers Daughter is new isn't it? I recently got an e-coupon from Borders books and that was one of the featured books. If you stayed up all night to finish it, it MUST be worth the price! I may just have to reconsider buying it now.....! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  11:18:02 AM  Show Profile
CONNIE, They all sound like good books, that is just another good thing about this site, I never have to wonder what to read next, get so many good ideas from all you girls.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  11:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Judy Blue Eyes-- Don't give up on Tis by Frank McCourt, it's about when he and his brothers come to America and it is sad, funny and quite touching. I think the beauty of his writing is that it is so personal ( and at times raw) but his light still shines through with grace and humor. There is another called Teacher Man where he relates stories of his time as an inner city NY school teacher. This is a man who endures! Take breaks with fun books but don't count him out altogether.
Right now I am reading: The Solace of Leaving Early and A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. The jury is still out on these as it is early and I have just finished The Kite Runner (highly recommend it).

For those of you with kids---The Essential 55 by Ron Clark started alot of conversations with my 13 year old! He is a task master but
his results are amazing. There was just a movie on tv about him but it doesn't really tell you all of his story. He is a starting an Academy in Georgia (I think...)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  11:57:44 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading "Small Wonder" by Barbara Kingsolver. I LOVED it-it is actually a series of essays, so it is easy to read just a little at a time. One of the essays is called "Lily's Chickens"-I think that one might have been my favorite.
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  12:08:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I *love* Kingsolver - she's probably one of my favorite authors. I highly recommend her most recent novel Prodigal Summer - so good!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  06:08:45 AM  Show Profile
this past weekend .. i picked up two books i've been wanting to read for a long time .. but haven't been able to find. one is BABY DOE TABOR .. the life and times of an incredibly BEAUTIFUL child .. who went from riches to rags (true story) ... i had heard of her when we lived in Colorado .. she was a legend.

Another is PAULINE's .. the true story of a Kentucky mother of two boys and sunday school teacher who fell on hard times during the great depression .. and chose to become a famous MADAM in a town near where i live!

just started them both .. so no book reports to report just yet.

xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  10:19:44 AM  Show Profile
I just finished re-reading "Ethics for the New Millenium" by HH the Dalai Lama, and, yet again, I am stricken by how humble and kind this man is able to be in the face of such adversity and persecution. It is the most incredible reminder of what it means to be kind and REAL in our world today. I highly recommend it!

It's not difficult reading - just extremely valuable and thought-provoking.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  4:54:26 PM  Show Profile
I went into Schuler's Books in Grand Rapids, MI, this weekend to buy a recipe book for canning and stumbled on a display of farming-related books. I bought one titled "FarmKid - Tales of growing up in rural America" which is a collection of short essays by Justin Isherwood. Some of them are quite poignant, others are hilarious, and some remind me so much of my own childhood I can smell the straw bales again.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  5:55:04 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

For those who don't already know this, I am a librarian in a branch library in Fort Worth. I am surrounded by books all day. I am also inspired by all of the great titles that y'all submit.

Feel free to email me with ??'s any time. I read reviews constantly.

Connie Texas Farm Girl (where it is RAINING AT LAST)

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  7:46:34 PM  Show Profile
So, I had kind of a crummy day and took off by myself to Barnes and Noble and bought Enslaved By Ducks and The Good, Good Pig. Then, I went to Wal-Mart and bought Paula Deen's magazine and a Snickers bar. Hmmmmm. Chocolate and good reads- that will soothe frazzled nerves for sure!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  8:51:42 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a perfect solution to a crummy day karin!! I need a new book to read and have to run to walmart tomorrow for a couple things that I can't find elsewhere around here. I may see if I can find a new book. I have been meaning to read Enslaved by ducks..and Good good pig just sounds like a perfect choice too! Enjoy!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  11:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Didn't know that Paula Dean had a magazine. I have her cookbooks.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jakemollycamper
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carol
Liberty Center Oh
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  6:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Anything that is written by Fannie Flagg is great. Her new one is sitting on my night stand waiting it's turn. So many books so little time. Also waiting is the newest YaDa YaDa Pray Group by Neta Jackson I'm listening to the third book of the sister hood series by Fern Michaels. I'm always listening to a book while I drive from school to school as a sub. teacher. What are your kids reading? Mine are girls 13 & 10. suggestions?

Laughter is Good Medicine.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  7:42:56 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the new Fannie Flagg book..I know you will love it Carol. You just can't beat her books..I have loved them all!
My nearly 12 year old daughter is reading "Dairy Queen" by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. She recently finished reading some more of the Anne of Green Gables books. Secret garden is always a good one too...
my nearly 10 year old daughter is reading the first in a series called " Fairy Realm" by Emily Rodda. My 10 year old son is reading a book called " The Giant Rat of Sumatra or Pirates Galore" by Sid Freischman and my 9 year old son is reading "The Celery Stalks at Midnight" (a Bunnicula book) by James Howe right now.
I am reading book 4 by Beverly Lewis in the Abram's daughter's series called " The Prodigal".

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  8:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Right now I'm reading Sisterchicks in Gondolas by Robin Jones Gunn.

Jenny, those Beverly Lewis books are great ones, I really like her writing.

Edited by - Leezard on Sep 12 2006 8:22:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile
I have a hard time putting them down...I am on the 5th book now. Stayed up too late last night finishing the last one. This is the last one in the series. Then I will start "Lover's Knot" by Emily Richards (3rd in the Shendendoah Album series) I loved the first two in that series too.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  12:11:46 AM  Show Profile
"The Celery Stalks at Midnight?!?!?!?!?" Where were these books when I was nine? How funny! I'm now starting to re-read my little collection of Wallace Stegner books. I'm starting with "All the Little Live Things," which I just love. It's so sad, and so wonderful. He is an amazing writer - one of my favorites. "Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs" is another one of his books with a wonderful local flair - all of them are wonderful reading about the West by one of the West's best (in my humble opinion, of course!).

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

jakemollycamper
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carol
Liberty Center Oh
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  2:55:23 PM  Show Profile
JENNY,
My daughter also read Dariy Queen and is now reading New Moon by Myers. Her earlier book was Twilight. Hannie likes almost all of meg Cabots books too. Has anyone out there read the new Christian comic -Sarndipity. both my girls love it.

Laughter is Good Medicine.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page