KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  4:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
KJD...yes, I have heard of Heat, and it is on my list of to-reads!! Along with "His Majesty's Dragon", "New Recipes from Quilt Country", "The Cursed Towers","The Merchant of Death", "Cooking From Quilt Country" (thank you for the idea, ladies!),"Living With Chickens:Everything you Need to Know...", "Kingdom of Heaven","Storm Front","You're Not You", "Better Than Store-Bought","The Abs-Diet 6-minute Meals for 6-pack Abs",and "Stadium Arcadium" ...oh, the joys of working at the library!! I need a bigger night stand, though.

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  4:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Jenny, I read "the Preacher's Daughter" and "The Englischer"...wonderful books! Can't wait for the next one!!!
Kelly

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  5:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Kelly..have you read the books by WAnda Brunstettler (sp?) called "Store keeper's daughter", "Quilter's daughter", and the new one is called "Bishop's daughter"? I just ordered the last one...it is a great series too. I just love to read that sort of stuff...nothing heavy for this time of year!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  5:32:54 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Beverly Lewis is another author that I consider all of the time, but always seem to pass up. Guess that I should take one home--any suggestions on what title to read first?

I also love Phillip Gulley who writes about his experiences as a Quaker Minister in a small town in Indiana.

The Cape Light series that is set in Mass. is also wonderful. The painter Thomas Kinkade (sp?) is one of the 2 authors.

Don't read mysteries much, but I would encourage anyone who likes cozies to read Susan Albert Wittig. She also has a great blog on her site www.mysterypartners.com. Lots of photos of the flowers on her land and also her many knitting projects.

Too many books, too little time...sigh

Connie
Texas Farm Girl
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  7:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Kelly: "Stadium Arcadium"? Is that a book or the new Red Hot Chili Peppers cd?

Amie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  8:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Connie..I loved "The Preacher's daughter". It is a series she is still doing though, the one I am reading is the second book and the third one is to come out in October I think.
I know there are other finished series that she has written. I forget what the first one is in the series that has "The Shunning"..but I liked all of those alot.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  8:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Like usual, I'm reading several books at a time. I'm working my way through a devotional for women about walking more closely with God, a nonfiction book titled "100 People Who are Screwing Up America" (which is really interesting), the novel "Wish You Were Here" (great summer read), and "The Fair Tax Book" (I think that's the last word -- great book & very interesting; easy to read -- even a non-math person like me can understand).

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  05:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Amie...sorry...that CD is on my request list, and I just kept on typing! Jenny...we just got the Wanda B. books donated to the library, and I haven't had a chance to read them...they are flying off the shelves! Philip Gulley is great, and I like the Thomas Kinkade ones, too. Mitford still remains my favorite of that genre, though. As far as neat mysteries, I really like
the two series by Rhys Bowen: Constable Evans Mysteries and The Molly Murphy Mysteries. The first is set in Wales, and involves a very likable constable with the unlikely name of Evan Evans. The second is about an Irish girl who flees Ireland thinking she killed a man, and settles in NYC in the early 1900's and tries to become a female detective. Very likable characters. Also, I like the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton.

Kelly

Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  11:20:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading the third book in the Beatrix Potter series by Susan Wittig Albert. She is one that writes the China Bayles herb mystery series. Has anyone read the Beatrix Potter books yet? They are so cute and I've really enjoyed them. They are good for any age, even children.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  11:46:56 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I have read the first of the Beatrix Potter series, and I enjoyed it, but I must say the China Bayles mysteries are my very favorites!

It is just great to hear from all of you who love books so much.

In the public library world these days, about 50% of the materials that are checked out are dvd's and videos!! Might as well work at Blockbuster! However, I do lead a women's reading group here at my branch library and that is great.

Have ya'll seen the July issue of Oprah Mag yet? I am not a big fan of the magazine because it is a little too slick these days, but most of the issue focuses on Reading. Very cool. I am reading the Library's copy!!
Connie
Texas Farm Girl
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I will send you an email for your book adoption list, but would you believe that I am now reading (hope you don't mind that it is not a novel, per se) BUT, I am reading "YOU: The Owner's Manual : An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger" - by Dr. Michael Roizin and Dr> Mehmet Oz.

Great reading, BTW. It is written in a fairly simplistic way so that even teens and preteens can understand the material. Otherwise, my reading interests are already mentioned everywhere else in these forums...FarmGirl minds think alike!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  1:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Connie- not only is the new Oprah all about reading, it contains a letter from extraordinarily elusive Harper Lee!! I don't usually venture into "Oprah World" very often, but this time I had to make an exception!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  5:08:16 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls

I saw the letter from Harper Lee but had to put the mag down just as I was about to read it. I can't wait to learn what she has to say. Something like this deserves to be framed.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

Edited by - connio on Jul 12 2006 5:08:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  09:33:44 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I am a big fan of Utah author Richard Paul Evans who writes inspirational Christian fiction. His newest fiction book is Sunflower, and I just received an email saying that he has a new book coming out in October that has a Christmas theme. His mother passed in Feb, and he wrote this book to deal with his grief. His first book, The Christmas Box, was written to honor his mom so he felt that he should write a second book with a Christmas theme to honor her memory. Can't wait to read it.

Richard is a wonderful person and author. Google him and take a look at his website. It's great.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  08:09:52 AM  Show Profile
I have just started Tuesdays with Morrie, I have really high hopes for this one.

B.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  08:21:42 AM  Show Profile
I read Tuesdays with Morrie a few years ago, it was a nice read. Right now I 'am reading THE BELIEVERS BY JANICE GILES. Its about the shakers. There was mention of this book on this site before. Also just finished two GLADYS TABORS books.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:32:27 PM  Show Profile
I have been subscribed to Surfnet bookclubs for a few years now and get some great books from there. On Monday thru Friday you get an email and each of those 5 days it will have a couple pages of a chapter, just enough to let you know whether you want to get that book. Sometimes I order the book from ebay or amazon from the first email, sometimes it takes all week of the read to decide. One that I got from there and read recently was ENSLAVED BY DUCKS by Bob Tarte, a true story. It makes you realize how much personality your animals have, although now that I'm raising chickens I'm finding out too.

To subscribe to surfnet bookclubs you go to http://www.surfnetkids.com/bookclubs.htm It's not just books for kids, there are 3 bookclubs and I get emails from all 3, fiction, non-fiction and teen. I've found some great books from that site that I never would have known about.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  3:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Alice walker, A POEM RAN DOWN MY ARM. easy reading finished in a flash. randi
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  5:20:58 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

I absolutely love Enslaved by Ducks. It is so funny!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  7:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Cheryl,
Thank you for that website! I am always looking for new books to read and I think that is a neat way to get a peek at 'em before you buy!
Hugz and Happy Reading to All!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  10:21:29 PM  Show Profile
I just finished " The Bishop's daughter" by Wanda Brunstetter. It was the final book in the DAughters of Lancaster series..and GOOD.
I am reading " A stitch in Time" the first book in the quilt triolgy by Ann Rinaldi right now. It took me awhile to get going...sort of started dry..but I am loving it now half way through. I have the second book ready to read after that..and better order the last one I guess. I got them on Amazon.com. I am quite the customer there lately!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  06:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Connie - I have carried around Enslaved by Ducks at the store several times but haven't bought it yet - now I will, with your endorsement - thanks!
Just finished Being Dead is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalf and Charlotte Hays. Now THAT'S funny!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  1:25:11 PM  Show Profile
I am reading Angela's Ashes, and I have to tell you, it is THE most depressing book I have ever read. I am almost done with it and I cannot wait to read the last and get on to something a bit more uplifting! I also have the sequel 'Tis on my to be read pile but I'm doubting I'll read it anytime soon. Several years ago I read a book about the Potato Famine and while it was grim, it didn't have quite the depth of despair I am getting with this book. I just cannot imagine living in Ireland in those times...and it wasn't so long ago! I think I need to read another Rosamunde Pilcher just to get my spirits up! Or I picked up some Janet Evanovich at a yard sale last week, that would do too!

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  10:44:21 PM  Show Profile
I recently read Name All the Animals by Alison Smith, which was good but sad, also Night by Elie Wiesel about the Holocaust. I've been reading Living with Chickens and Raising Chickens and The Tao of Willie, by Willie Nelson. I've bought some other books recently and haven't had time to read them. I can't wait till summer but then when it's here I don't seem to have time to really enjoy it. I have 2 covered porches and I would just love to sit out on the porch swing and read.. I'm just going to have to make the time to do it!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  07:50:31 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, did you read "Hannah Fowler" yet? Due to Frannie's recommendations, I've been on a Janice Holt Giles bender... and am reading Johnny Osage now. These three sort of go together, with a family theme.

I saw the Angela's Ashes movie, and it was very depressing. I'm sure the book is even tougher, as books are more powerful, at least for me. I read Pride and Prejudice off and on last week, which seems to be a yearly delight for me. Jane Austen's gentle wisdom and funny characterizations seem to speak more to me every time I read her work. Isn't humor wonderful? Laughter is so good for the spirit.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page