Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic
Page: of 10

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  3:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, If you haven't read this one, I'll be glad to forward it on. Just email me your address if you want me to send it to you. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure!

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  5:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Well I am in a book/cooking club so for that I am just starting the book "Lying on the Couch" by Rvin D. Yalom. Haven't read enough to have an opion yet but I will let you know. The last book we read was "Mayada, Daughter of Iraq" by Jean Sasson. It is a really good book for those that want to know or simply educate themselves on how things were under Saddam.It flows well and is well written. I felt very enlightened after reading the book. However, there were many spots I skipped over because of the horrifing things they were discribing. I personnally do not want to fill my minds with those images. At the same time I think to truly tell the story they had to be told.As for my all time favorites... "Tuesdays with Morrie", "Christmas Tree Farm", The Sam Campbell series, The Little House series, and for a light good read any of the small gift books by Bradley Trevor Grieve. I love the way he matches the perfect animal picture with the cutest prose! It always brings a smile to my face or sometimes a big chuckle! And of course I have my subscriptions to Hobby Farms, Mother Earth, Countryside, Farm and Ranch, Country, Country Woman, and Readers Digest. Also,I was just introduced to Mary Janes which I really enjoyed! And I just borrowed the book from the library and am enjoying that very much as well!
I have enjoyed reading all your book adventures! Happy reading to you all!!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  6:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow...you women are a strong bunch of readers!! I just finished "Beyond Band of Brothers" by Dick Winters and am reading "Threshold of Hope" by Pope John Paul II right now.... VERY different topics but both very important to me (WWII history and my faith!)

My blog: mycountryhome.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  6:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Am reading If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name, after hearing about it here - can hardly put it down! Also reading Dying for Chocolate, the 2nd Dianne Mott Davidson cozy mystery and today bought the next one at Half Price Books. Am also reading a very good book called The Africa House about an English Gentleman and his home he built in Africa in the 30's when Colonialism was still on. Love books set in Africa or India during that time. Have also been reading the latest Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope. I always have a stack. My stack is actually about 20-25 books tall right now, but these are the ones I'm focusing on this week.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  7:10:01 PM  Show Profile
the books by mail catalog suggests the following non-fiction:

Heavenly Patchwork by Judy Howard
quilt stories of pioneer & contemporary women

Country Folk Medicine by Elisabeth Janos
treasury of homespun cures from an earlier generation

Bryson City Seasons by Walt Larimore, M.D.
captivating stories of people who live in Bryson City, a small town tucked away in the Smoky Mountains

The Great Pretenders by Jan Bondeson
Bondeson is a British rheumatologist who has focused his medical expertise on the unsolved mysteries of disputed identity of royalty for the last 200 yrs--he applies his knowledge and logical thinking to ascertain the true stories behind the thrones.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  07:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Just got three Gladys Taber books and for far just love her writting. The one I'am reading first is "THE STILLMEADOW ROAD". She has written a lot of books, so I could be reading her for awhile. Then there are several other books in my stack to get to.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  4:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, I have only one month of "THE STILLMEADOW ROAD" left... and am loving it. I recently finished "THE BOOK OF STILLMEADOW", and really enjoyed it, as well.

Miss Frannie of Cabin Creek: These Janice Holt Giles books are addicting. I read "THE KENTUCKIANS" and then "THE ENDURING HILLS", and stayed up way late at night with each book. Do I begin "RUN ME A RIVER" tonight or wait? Wake up time in our house is 5:10, OH DEAR! I'm quite sure I need to visit ABE again and get started on some more.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  12:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Nancy Jo,
I recently borrowed Country Cronicle by Gladys Taber and loved it! I did not realize how many more she has! I will have to get them and add them to my library for sure!!! Thank you for mentioning her work!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  04:36:40 AM  Show Profile
BUTEERCUP
Thankyou right back for the Country Cronicle mention, hadn't heard of that one, and even when I look up her books I will know ahead that its worth the read. I think I read someplace that she has written around 30 books.Love it when I have lots to look forward to in the reading department.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  2:57:11 PM  Show Profile
After finishing If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name, by Heather Lende, this weekend, I felt I knew her and everyone in her small Alaskan town of Haines. I googled the author and in her bio, it says she was run over by a truck while bicycling in April, 2005. Thought I'd pass on the info for anyone else reading the book. She did survive and I'll keep reading the links they gave to see how she's progressing. I do believe she's back even running and gardening now from one entry I read.
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  3:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I just finished the "Twentieth Wife" a historical fiction about a woman from India. Now reading the sequel "Feast of Roses"

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Another book for my list, thanks for the info KJD.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  3:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
It is a very lush book, makes you want to board a plane for India

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  5:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Hope I'm not being obnoxious, but after reading several articles about the author, Heather Lende, this one is good -
http://www.adn.com/life/story/6649105p-6535641c.htm
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  12:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Here are a few suggestions from our books by mail, I thought they all sounded interesting:

(non-fiction):

Heavenly Patchwork by Judy Howard
quilt stories of pioneer & contemporary women

Country Folk Medicine by Elisabeth Janos
treasury of homespun cures from an earlier generation

Bryson City Seasons by Walt Larimore, M.D.
captivating stories of people who live in Bryson City, a small town tucked away in the Smoky Mountains

The Great Pretenders by Jan Bondeson
Bondeson is a British rheumatologist who has focused his medical expertise on the unsolved mysteries of disputed identity of royalty for the last 200 yrs--he applies his knowledge and logical thinking to ascertain the true stories behind the thrones.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile
I just went on a trip over the long 4th of July weekend, down to flooded Binghampton. I took three books with me and between rounds of shoveling mud and picking up debris I read: Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton; a fantasy novel called East, by Edith Patou; and I'm just finishing up Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen. I liked East a lot. Supposedly it's a retelling of an old story called "East of the sun, west of the moon". I'm not familiar with it, but this version has Vikings and Eskimos in it. I noticed after I had checked it out of the library that it is technically intended for Young Adults, but oh well. I'd rather be reading Young Adult fiction than Old Adult fiction.

Amie

Amie
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  10:41:51 AM  Show Profile
WOW! I love you guys! So many readers amongst us...isn't it great? I just finished "The Virgin of Small Plains" (mystery/suspense by Nancy Pickard), which I liked; "The Devil Wears Prada" (which I didn't like); and am also reading "The Last Child in the Woods" (Richard Louv...which I love). Am headed to the library today and will be looking up some of your suggestions. To whoever is reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin", you may also enjoy reading "The True-life Travels and Adventures of Liddy Newton" by Jane Smiley...there is a tie-in with Uncle Tom that prompted me to go back and read Uncle Tom...which I found to be one of the most moving books I've read.
READ ON!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  1:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Hi, everyone! I'm new, but this topic is my passion, so here I go!! I just finished "Grape Expectations" by Tamar Myers, a series about a Mennonite inn-owner that solves mysteries...quite tongue-in-cheek humor, not stellar writing, but entertaining. Now I am muddling through "Every Boy's Got One" by Meg Cabot...not sure I love it, but I'll finish it. Next will be "Nasty Bits" by Anthony Bourdain...a very salty writer/chef that is a bit raw in his memoirs, but very revealing and entertaining.

I work in my small local library, so I read all genres (except horror) voraciously...my husband says giving me a job there was like hiring an alcoholic to work in the liquor store!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  07:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,
I've been reading cookbooks all morning! I love those and books by food writers and travel essays the most, but love many genres as well. Anthony Bourdain makes us laugh -
Have you heard of a new book called Heat, by a chef in one of Mario Battali's restaurants - it's next on my list to get. I've heard great reviews of it by friends.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  3:52:52 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg. What a cute book!! Elner Shimfissle is out on a ladder picking figs and what happens to her next is told with such sweetness and humor that it carries you right through to the end of the story. I love FF's books. If you get the chance to read A Redbird Christmas, I promise you will love it!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  4:02:22 PM  Show Profile
I also love fannie's books, didn't know she had a new one, thanks for the post.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile
I have been meaning to get Can't wait to get to Heaven. I LOVE Fannie Flagg's books...and it is true... I think ANYONE would love REDBIRD CHRISTMAS

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  4:03:24 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

As most of you know I am a librarian so I always seem to have about 30 books checked out.

Here are a few that I have either read or intend to read soon:
Sandcastles L Rice

Jane Long (forgot the author)

Jane Austen In Scarsdale or Love, Hate and SAT's C Cohen

Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen

Mitford series (second to last book-forgot title) Jan Karon

Can't wait to get to heaven Fanny Flagg

On talking terms with dogs Written by a famous Norwegian dog trainer

Big house, little house, back house, barn (Nonfiction title on the history of connected farm buildings in New England)

The Complete humorous sketches, and tales of Mark Twain

Delta Belles Penelope Stokes

Funny in Farsi: a memoir (forgot author but it looks very humorous for readers of any ethnicity)

Eat Well for 99 cents a meal Bill Kaysing

The Whistling Season Ivan Doig

Reader's DIgest: Back to Basics

Susannah's Garden D Macomber

Shantaram Gregory Roberts

One of the best parts of my job is that I read reviews and process new books every day!

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say..right now I am reading " The Englischer" by Barbara Lewis. It is the second in the " Annie's People" series. I am liking them so far. I have a few books waiting to read that I have bought used on Amazon.com.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile
OK, I just ordered the "CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO HEAVEN, book. Boy we never run out of good ideas for something to read on this site, someone always has our books all picked out for us.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page