verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile
hi nancy, i heard a lot about the wa-bi sabi house .thats next on my to read list,thanks randi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  6:44:32 PM  Show Profile
just finished ( a minute ago) "Aprons on a Clothesline" by Traci DePree. It was sure good..lite and fast to read and I recomend it. I bought it used on Amazon.com and would be happy to pass it along if anyone else is interested.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  7:00:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

Coincidentally, I love both 'Til We Have Faces' and 'Mrs. Dalloway'...I guess this is right where i want to jump in. For the past three years, I've been keeping a list of all the books I read. I find it very handy to refer back to, especially since I check out so many books from the library and don't have them on hand later. I found that I average about 2 books per week, although when I go on a children's book spree I can read 15-20 books in a month.

What was it that you like about Til We Have Faces? I would love your input. I think your idea is great. My husband puts the books that he is reading on his blog. I have a notebook for my book group, but I think that I will add a written record to it. Thanks for the idea!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  9:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! I'm with you Nancy...sooooooooooooo many good recommendations here! Can I just say that I LOVE it that you all READ!? The Wabi-Sabi House sounds intriguing, gotta check that out...and Lacy, I am off to find more John Irving tomorrow! I had no idea that Owen=Simon! We haven't seen the movie-but now it will go on our must see list!
I haven't read, CS Lewis "Til We Have Faces", can someone who has, enlighten us? My son is a big fan of 'ol Clive, but I don't think he's read this.
Jenny, hubby & I are huge Steinbeck fans. I especially love East of Eden. Have you read anything by Thomas Wolfe (not Tom Wolf)? If you like Steinbeck-you might like him too!
Keep those recommendations coming guys! Love to hear about a great read!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  10:32:07 PM  Show Profile
okay..Thomas Wolfe...on my list now..I am in need of a new book to read and plan a trip to the library with the kids tomorrow

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  10:58:11 PM  Show Profile
Frannie
What is the name of the 2 Janice Holt Giles books. I have several and wonder if I missed some.
I have been reading a really good book SYLVIA'S FARM The Journal of an Improbale Shepherd
If you have sheep you have to read it.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  08:09:33 AM  Show Profile
Just finished Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking. Not light summer reading. John Gregory Dunne's widow, Joan Didion, chronicles her life and emotions in the year following his death. She is, at the same time, dealing with the grave sickness of her adult daughter. Raw. Touching. Important. "Life changes fast. Life changes in the instant. You sit down to dinner and life as you know it ends."

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  08:59:29 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Mrs. Mike, it was on the summer classics table at Barnes & Noble, it is really good. I had read it about 15 years ago, and it was better the second time around.

I was at the DI (thrift store) and bought Christy, by Catherine Marshall, the book that the tv series(late 1980s or early 90s) was based on. I love it, it is really good, and a "gentle" read. I get tired of filthy language. It does have some tragic moments, afterall, life is hard, but over all it is really cute.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  12:46:41 PM  Show Profile
If you are looking for a sweet & gentle read you might like the "Mitford" series. They are stories of a small town Pastor who finds love late in life, and all that entails. Very charming characters.
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  2:22:41 PM  Show Profile
I am reading the new Lorna Landvik book, Oh My Stars. I love her quirkiness. Just finished Anita Shreve's Wedding in December.
A friend of mine suggested the author Roxanna Robinson. Do any of you know her books?

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  3:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Kate...I love Christy and read it years ago...that is a good gentle read!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  4:38:36 PM  Show Profile
I'am now reading BLOODROOT, so far so good, one of you girls recommended it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  08:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
College, read all the time, it took me almost ten years for me to get back into reading. Shame on me! I alway have a book going now, but with how busy I am, it usually takes a couple months to finish an average book.

Please don't slam me for what I'm reading now. I'm reading the DaVinci Code It's a great read, don't believe a word of what it implies about my Lord and Saviour. Remember it is just what it is a novel, fiction.... Notice the word fiction, remember the definition. I am also reading at the same time Nancy Reagan, the Unauthorized Biography by Kitty Kelly. Another good read.

Finally, I think the best book I've read over the last three years is Dereliction of Duty by Lt. Col. Robert "Buzz" Patterson, USAF (Ret.). I'm not the sort to read about political figures. I've only read three books on this. Barbara Bush's Autobiography and now one on Nancy. But Dereliction of Duty is a real eye opener. It really lets you know just how awlful the Clinton's were. I was so angry by the time I finished the book, I promised should Miss Witch ever run for President I would get actively involved in squashing her run for the office. You'll also understand that 9/11 was the fault of President Clinton.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by abbasgurl

I haven't read, CS Lewis "Til We Have Faces", can someone who has, enlighten us? My son is a big fan of 'ol Clive, but I don't think he's read this.
Rhonda

It's his fictional story of Cupid & Psyche. He considers it his best work. Literary people think it's great. It didn't flip my hair back. I just thought it was a bit strange. Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  1:45:19 PM  Show Profile
My mother's favorite is James Herriot. I haven't read them yet, but I am sure they are wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  2:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I'll give "Till We Have Faces" a shot.... at least try. I read it several years ago and gave it back thinking, boy I must be stupid, I really don't get it. However, it kept bothering me that I've missed something--as I LOVE the Chronicals of Narnia. So, I ended up buying and re-reading it, and was so glad I did. The protagonist in "Til" is a symbol for "every woman" in the sense that she has much, thinks she lacks much, suffers greatly, and does not really see herself or know herself well... but she THINKS she does. In a nutshell, at the end of the book, which is also the end of her life, she sees. Beginning of the last statement she makes: I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  3:41:52 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE James Herriot and have read all his books. They are truly wonderful..in fact.. I may have to get a couple of his books at the library..perfect for summer.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Adriana Trigiani is an author who has written a few books about small town life. They are the more worldly version of the Mitford Series. I read them and enjoyed them, not as much as Mitford series, but they were pretty good. Unlike Jan Karon, Trigiani is not against a bit of language and her characters are not as wholesome.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love her books too!! I have read alot of them.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  12:01:22 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Rebecca & Ann for the insight on "Til We Have Faces". I think I must read it now, as Lewis considers it his best work. The topic sounds facinating. I am a fan of The Screwtape Letters-I think it's great for a crash course on spritual warfare. We love the Narnia books-have literally worn out two sets. If you like those you might also like his "Space Trilogy" (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength). These are especially good for boys.
Jame Herriot tells such wonderful stories of farm life & the English countryside. I read them years ago & should revisit his books! Thanks for the reminder!
Rebecca, can you give us titles for Trigiani's books? Is this a series? Sounds inviting.
Kim, I keep wondering about The Divinci Code. Let us know what you think. AS a Christian I think it's good to know what the trends are in our culture. When I was a youth leader I always read what the kids were reading. It helped me know what they were talking about & thinking about.
Thanks ladies!
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  06:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I love Triaiani! My in-laws are from a small town right near "Big Stone Gap", and their (and now my)last name is Collier, and there's even Colliers in the book! So much fun... haha

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  2:46:41 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Wanted to suggest some other authors for those of you who like Karon's Mitford series which I happen to be reading this week. Might try the Cape Light series by Thomas Kinkaide (SP?-the famous painter) and also Richard Paul Evans who writes the most wonderful books-sometimes sad but just heartwarming.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  5:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Big Stone Gap is the only one that I can remember the title. She has written a few since I read them about 4 years ago or so.

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  09:31:41 AM  Show Profile
I finished reading the very light-hearted and fun book The Undomestic Goddess by Sophia Kinsella. A perfect book for summer...quick, interesting, cute, easy. The only way this book could have been more fun is if I had been laying on a hammock reading it, or on a beach towel listening to the ocean waves reading it, or in a lounge chair on the deck of a cruise ship reading it. Oh well, I found it to be a very enjoyable read anyway. I'm ready to give it to someone who wants to read it. Anybody interested? Just let me know and I'll send it out to you. (By the way, this is the author of the Shopaholic books.)

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  2:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah,

I really like Sophie Kinsella's books. She is really funny and has a style of writing that is right on.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page