CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  3:53:35 PM  Show Profile
i'm getting ready to go through my stacks and stacks and piles and piles .. and shelves and shelves of books .. think i might actually put some up for adoption! what are YOU reading NOW? i think i'll revisit my garden and cookbooks over the weekend.

IF you would like to be on my 'treasure seekers' list to get an e-mail of books coming up for 'adoption' .. jus' e-mail me with your first and last name and e-mail address. xo, frannie

(by 'adoption' .. i mean 'sale' .. i almost always sell them for lots less than i paid for them). xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  3:58:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm on the last pages of 'This Organic Life; Confession of a Suburban Homesteader, by Joan Dye Gussow.
I picked it up at the used book store last Saturday for $5.00. A little more then I normally like to pay but I've enjoyed it and will probably keep it in my collection.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  4:29:15 PM  Show Profile
I am reading "Between the Flowers" by Harriet Simpson Arnow. Love it so far..about 1/2 way through

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jun 17 2006 10:13:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  4:53:15 PM  Show Profile
I picked up Mary Jane's "Special Recipe Issue" today as well as the latest Hobby Farms magazine which after getting home realized I already have! Anyone that would like this extra copy can send me their address...it has a neat article on Leicester longwool sheep/a guide to calving, kidding, lambing and foaling/secrets of a successful fruit grower, plus other neat articles...I love this magazine.

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  5:59:21 PM  Show Profile
I just finished 'THE DIARY OF MATTIE SPENCER", now I'am reading "UNCLE TOM'S CABIN", it occurred to me that I had never read it. Then will pick something else out of a rather large stack I have been buying. Yea Frannie, lets see what you have for adoption.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  6:24:55 PM  Show Profile
oh chile .. you have made me want to revisit Uncle Tom's Cabin! i have a few wonderful OLDE versions .. will have to try and locate them and read it. Have you read it before?

xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  7:27:27 PM  Show Profile
No I have not read UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, so I ordered a used copy, its a 1952 edition. Th book was written in 1852. I also ordered a used copy of THE GRAPES OF WRATH, I have seen the movie with Henry Fonda a long time ago, but thought I would like to read the book.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  7:33:31 PM  Show Profile
I love The grapes of wrath and re read it again every couple of years. I tend to have a "Steinbeck Summer" reading every other summer..heehee. I love how he describes the characters so well that you can just see them!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  7:36:05 PM  Show Profile
I just finished "The secret life of Bees" I stayed up all night reading it, I cried through the whole second half....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  9:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Loved THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  11:35:35 PM  Show Profile
I loved that one too!!! About all the books I read now were suggested by a farmgirl..and I have loved them all!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  10:45:35 AM  Show Profile
I am reading "A Witches Guide to Faery Folk"....I think thats what it is called. It's in the kitchen and I am n the livingroom nursing Zoe.
I am also re-reading a text from college from one of my women's studies courses. It is called "The Reflective Woman". It's the only text other than my Betty Friedan books, that I kept from my women's studies courses. It's amazing.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  9:01:28 PM  Show Profile
I just finished two novels. The first, "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving is an EXCELLENT read! I highly recommend it and give it ****. I'd like to read more Irving if anyone has suggestions.

The second, "Girl with a Pearl Earing", by Tracy Chevalier- historical fiction centered around the life events of Dutch artist Vermeer. Also good, I give it **.

Summer is for reading novels!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  9:13:58 PM  Show Profile
today .. on my way to the plant nursery .. i did a quick stop at our local 'peddlar's mall' and found TWO janice holt giles books that i didn't already have! (olde paperbacks .. only $4. each .. and i was reading one of them (hardback) at the antiques mall in a booth .. that one is $125.!!!! i would get a big iced tea and sit in the book booth are read it everytime i visited the mall. NOW .. i have my very own 'cheap' copy. i started reading the other one tonight before we went to the drive-in movie .. about a riverboat on the Green River in Kentucky during the Civil War .. my home town of GREENSBURG is in it too! lordy! i do love the way that woman writes .. i swear .. in the first chapter .. she made the river and the willow trees and the river boat have a soul! if i could emulate any writer .. that i have read so far .. it would be her!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  07:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am reading "The Testament" by John Grisham. Actually like it but I do like his books. Has alot on missionaries in Brazil.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  07:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Stephan Kings Colorado Kid. It's a mysetery. He isn't known for writing them but so far he is pulling it off pretty well.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  08:44:47 AM  Show Profile
"If you lived here, I would know you" It is about a small isolated town up in Alaska. The writer is a columnist for the Seattle Times and for her little town's newspaper she writes the obituaries and the social column. Pretty good so far.

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  2:00:42 PM  Show Profile
hello to all ,i am reading cesars way(the dog whisperer).also whisperers from the woods.(the lore and magic of trees. i am glad i found a place to take these after im finished. the boys hope ranch sells them also ,my magazines
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  9:59:43 PM  Show Profile
We just finished White Goats and Black Bees. About a world journalist couple who lived in New York and retired to a little farm in Ireland - grew as much of their own food and wrote of some of the problems they had and what a change it was from everything they had ever known. It was a really good book - kind of an old book, though(1974).

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  10:21:24 PM  Show Profile
I just finished "Between the Flowers" this afternoon. I felt "wrung out" after that. A very good..very heart wrenching book. It reminded me of how I felt after reading Steinbeck. Very real, very heartbreaking...a good read....but not always a happy or light one. The characters were wonderful. I was thrilled to learn of another book written by the same author of one of my favorites "The Dollmaker". I will have to look for more. But next has to be a simple, light book..something happy.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  04:18:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for another book idea Jenny, even though I guess we won't be laughing while reading. I don't think I have ever had so many books to look forward to.The days of trying to find something good to read appear to be over, with all the good ideas that have come up here. gotta love the MJ site.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  05:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Rhonda-- I recommend anything John Irving has written! I love him... "The Hotel New Hampshire" and "The World According to Garp" are two others that are great-- and if you haven't seen it yet, the movie "Simon Birch" is based on Owen Meaney...

I'm reading some trashy girly novel "Babyland", my annual reading of "Prodigal Summer" and I'm about to start "You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start & Succeed in a Farming Enterprise" for my educational reading!

I just finished "If you lived here I would know you" recently, Anne, and I loved it!

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  07:14:16 AM  Show Profile
HI GIRLS,
Since a lot of us like living with used and older things, has anyone read "THE WABI- SABI HOUSE" BY ROBYN LAWRENCE.Wabi- sabi is described as ,finding beauty in imperfection. we learn to embrace liver spots,rust, and frayed edges, and the march of time they represent, wabi-sabi is flea markets not stores, aged wood not pergo, it celebrates cracks and crevices and all other marks of time.
Those are just some of the things written on the first page. there are a couple of wabi-sabi books but the one by Robyn Lawrence is the best. Gotta love that word,WABI-SABI. sometimes when I 'am walking around the house looking at my stuff, I say to myself, thats very WABI-SABI.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  07:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I finished Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. It was weird. I read it for a book group, but it won't meet until the end of next month. And everyday we have been reading through the Lord of the Rings after lunch. We are on the last book.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  09:03:30 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, it was a really great read.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  12:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Coincidentally, I love both 'Til We Have Faces' and 'Mrs. Dalloway'...I guess this is right where i want to jump in.

I've had three books going at once for the past few days. Finished 'Jpod' by Douglas Coupland on Sunday (very funny, but not for everyone). Just finished re-reading 'Jane of Lantern Hill' by LM Montgomery (I've been re-reading all her books this spring). And I just started a bio of a Mormon convert named Jean Rio who crossed the desert to Utah in the 1850s. I think it's called 'Faith and Betrayal'. It's at home and I'm at work.

For the past three years, I've been keeping a list of all the books I read. I find it very handy to refer back to, especially since I check out so many books from the library and don't have them on hand later. I found that I average about 2 books per week, although when I go on a children's book spree I can read 15-20 books in a month.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are you reading NOW? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page