texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  2:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I love all the pics! Kris, I am so sorry to hear about your pup! It's so heartbreaking to lose a furbaby.

Did you girls happen to read the blog entry I did about my furbaby? Here's the link, if you'd like to check it out. http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/default.asp?Display=38

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  2:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, What a pretty daughter you have and your furbaby is too!
I loved your story from your blog - brought tears to my eyes!
My best friend when I was a child was an English Bulldog. We lived on a military base and I had no one to play with - so he was my Bestest buddy. He'd let me dress him in my old clothes, push him in my doll carriage, played baseball with my dad and I. So I totally understand the bond with animals. As you can see from my photo's we now have four furkids - 3 canine and 1 feline.
Love those animals and the people that rescue them!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  3:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ruth. I thought you might be snowed in and without power up there in the mountains. I am so glad to see you here. Did y'all get snow? We have about 8" so far. And could possibly get more next week. Ugh! Sophie and Bubba are outside right now playing in the snow. It's cold out there. I hope y'all are nice and toasty warm. Stay inside! And Sophie is half deaf too. Just old age.

What cute dogs, Lorraine. Were those just taken? Looks cold there too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  5:47:17 PM  Show Profile

Do you ever wonder what they dream about...I know I do!

Lorraine-I would love to have tea sometime. I do work but given some notice I could take the afternoon off. I'd love to meet another Farmgirl!
Nicole- Loved your blog before, charmed again the second time around. I think every kid needs a pet to be thier best friend I know I did. Know one wanted to hang our with a buck tooth skinny ballerina! My dog Sir knew all of my deep dark secrets and was by my side thru thick and thin.
Ruth and Kris-Please stay safe and email some photos. I heard on the news you guys are getting hit again. WOW!

Love will make a way out of no way. -Lynda Barry

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  05:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Love seeing everyones' furbabies!
Here are my two. First is Bear, he'll be 3 1/2 next month. He is a big baby, reminds me of a little boy. He is constantly by my side, and doing goofy things!

This is Bonnie. She'll be 3 1/2 in a couple of weeks. She is a troublemaker! But she listens well, and is soooo sweet!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  06:41:25 AM  Show Profile
What beautiful dogs, Brenda. Did you find good homes for all their "children"? They were so cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  06:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Brenda, You have my very favorite doggie in the whole world! I love, love, love Goldens! I have workied with Godlen Retriever Rescue and have fostered many sweet wonderful dogs. My DH does not like big dogs in the house - so instead I have three little ones LOL! One day I will have that Golden - will probably rescue an older one, to match me! I love the white faced ones - they are the best!
Kris is your DH driving in the Atlanta area????? I have been worried about him,. there are tractor trailers all over the roads - can't go anywhere! What a mess - some have been stranded since noon yesterday and they say it will be probably tonight before they will be on their way!
We are snug in our home, I have a pot of Boston Baked Beans in the oven and they are smelling yummy right now. Made Corn Chowder yesterday and some Irish Soda bread - so we are eatting well - my New England Heritage is coming out on these cold, snowy days!
Everyone stay safe and warm!
Gracie running in the snow - it is way up over her arms, she had to hop - they are all loving it!
a photoe of our little pond in the front yard - there is a small waterfall, that is why there is a small hole where the water is running in! We have 4 Koi that are doing well!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  07:21:38 AM  Show Profile
i love that you all can post pics. there are such cuties out there in the animal world. i love how excited the dogs get in fresh snow first thing in the morning. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:23:34 AM  Show Profile

Here's another picture of Maggie in slightly warmer weather. Maggie loves the snow - so when its hot outside, she loves her pool. Yes, our dog has a pool - but she's not spoiled.. No way... Brenda your dogs are beautiful - everyone has such beautiful dogs.

Cheryle - email me so we can plan a day to get together. I work, but my schedule is fairly flexible. We might want to wait until the weather is generally warmer. It always seems to snow on days I have plans to visit friends.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:25:36 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that Maggie is a frisbee nut! She would play 24/7 if she could find someone to throw it for her. We bought her a new frisbee for her birthday - this one is so faded from much use!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I'm so sorry about Zoe. It's soooo tough to lose one of these babies.

All these animals are precious. I loooove animals, often more than I like people.

Over the years, I've gotten some great pics of our clan, but I'll suffice it with just a few, taken this last snow of the dogs, then a couple of the cats.

My Finn...

The Motley Crew (from left to right: Daisy Bad Seed, Elie, Finn and Rose)

Jack Sprat the Baby Cat (reading James Beard's Cookery)

And of course, last but not least, Professor Pumpkin sitting on his namesake!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I love all your fur babies, the photo's in the snow are wonderful - don't they just love playing in it? JackSprat is marked so pretty, I love that front leg with it's swirl! Porfessor Pumpkin looks a little like my Hunter Boy, he's a handsome boy too!
Do you have snow now, or is it coming? We have alot here in the North Georgia Mountains -
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ruth!
Thanks, they are all the light of our lives. Jack Sprat's swirl crosses over to his other leg--when he's standing, it's like someone swiped him with white paint. Like your Hunter, I looove an orange tabby. Pumpkin showed up one Halloween with trick or treaters and I guess he knew that was his "holiday" :)

We have snow--actually, we've had snow on the ground since before Christmas! And it's snowing again, today and is supposed to continue this week. Not too much accumulation, just snow...for which I'm glad. It took me 2 and half hours to get home on Friday night after work!

I bet it sure is pretty where you are, though! Best just to stay inside and make lots of good food!!

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  11:41:26 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - great pictures. It looks like your dogs are a happy herd. Finn is very handsome. I LOVE the cat photos - too funny. Its so fun to look at all these beautiful animals.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile
They really, are, Lorraine. Well loved, that's for sure, though they've had a bit of adjustment with welcoming Violet, now almost 2. They love her though, even if Finn thought for a time, she was another foster dog on her way to someplace else!!!

That Finn, he really is my love. A pittie/English setter mix makes for striking markings and he is just SUCH a good dog. Never a problem.

My cats are hilarious. Tough old neighborhood boys who are now so spoiled I don't think they could make it outside if they tried...

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  12:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh how sweet. Here's my rescues. The lil one in the middle is my daughter's dog, Oreo. My male is on the left, Tip, and my female, Lacey, on the right. Both are border collies from our local border collie rescue. This is an older picture of them. I thought I had the picture of them in the canoe from last year's trip but I can't find it. Tip is 8 and we've had him since he was 10 weeks. Lacey is 7 and I've had her 6 years now (wow where has the time gone). My daughter and I use to train and compete with them in obedience and agility but now they're happy retired, lazy dogs.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  12:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Nothing better than a happy, lazy dog!

Tammy, my first rescue (one I pulled from the rural shelter I worked in) was BC named Sweet Pea, who went on to Big Bear Lake, MN is now a 3 time State Agility Champion (renamed Tucker). She was, literally, in the truck on her way to be euthanized when I contacted the director and met him at the vet. Love a border collie!!!

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  3:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I rescued a kitty several years ago that was to be put down the next morning - we got her late that afternoon (Sunday at that!)
She now lives with my niece, she is the sweetest girl ever - her name is Violetrose (My MJF name) She loves dogs, but not kitties! My niece just got her a puppy sister and she is extremely happy!
I'll have to see if I can find any photo's of her when she lived with us. She is a Snow Shoe kitty with beautiful blue eyes! Several of the Goldens I have fostered had terrible stories behind them, but they all found wonderful forever homes. What a blessing they are - just want to be loved and loved somemore!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  3:48:34 PM  Show Profile
I want a Border Collie with a herd of sheep now. They are the coolest dogs. That's a dream for one day.

Ruth, you did get some snow up there. At least we have food, huh? That's all I wanted to do the past few days is eat. I think it's all the hauling water and wood that makes me hungry. But really. I have been eating alot. I have been working alot too so hopefully am burning it off. Hubby finally got out of Atlanta this afternoon!! He had to be in Newnan not too far from there. Then headed to Lake Charles, La. At least he's rolling! But please keep him and all the truckers in your prayers. They are all over the roads.

Jonni, I saw the picture somewhere of your hubby walking with the 4 dogs. Man, they are chunky monkies! They remind me of my dog Bubba. He's putting on the weight now finally. he was always really scrawny but I started feeding him real meat and he's filling out now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  3:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Jonni - I'm always amazed at how well most dogs respond to their family's children. They seem to know how important they are... How wonderful you were able to save that BC so she could have a good life. Our first BC came from animal control too - we saw her picture in the newspaper and called about her - but she had already been adopted. Then they called us back - she had been returned because she was positive for heartworm. They were going to put her down - so we took her and, of course, had her treated (boy is that rough). She was a wonderful dog and had a good life with us.

Tammy - love the pictures of your BCs. Great looking dogs - Oreo is so cute. I took my dogs to agility and they loved it. However, Hector doesn't like other dogs - plus, with the deafness it was really tough to work him off the leash. The instructor from one of the classes I took worked with Midwest BC Rescue. She was great!

Keep those pictures coming... They are fabulous...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  06:02:52 AM  Show Profile
@Kris...they are, indeed, chunks, but we've been on a diet since September and Rose, the GSD has lost 15 lbs, so that puts her at 100. The vet was very happy!!! Finn is thinner, but not Elie. I can't stop that dog from foraging in garbage, waiting by the high chair or just cleaning up droppage. That's the Lab in him, I guess. What he doesn't actually digest, he just throws up. Great but disgusting dogs!!!!

Tammie--it really is amazing how they respond to children. We never had any concerns, even with this being a dog house for so long. They've always warmed to children, even if they never quite new how "big" they were around them! Rose, our GSD is now nicknamed "mother Rose" because that's who's she's been ever since we brought Violet home from the hospital. When I didn't hear the baby crying because of water on or something, she would run in to wherever I was, frantically, and whine and then make a b-line for the nursery and push her nose through the crib slats to assure the baby. Now, Violet sits on her like a pony and says, "geeyup", "yeeha" and "ready, set, gooooo!" and Rose just takes it all in stride.

Ruth, I think rescued animals will always give back the love and loyalty they receive 10 fold. I can't imagine NOT getting a dog or cat from a shelter, anymore--especially after working in the trenches for those years. People think, often, that shelters are full of "bad dogs" but in reality, it's the opposite. We had people bring in perfectly wonderful pets because they "weren't that cute anymore" or "shed a little too much for my white couch" or my personal favorite, "he eats too much." Your niece is VERY lucky to have Violet Rose...it sounds like to me, she's like most cats who grew up around dogs (like mine)--she thinks she is one!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  06:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Kristen - I'm with you on wanting a herd of sheep for my BCs. I went about it backwards. I got the dogs before I got the farm or the sheep LOL.

Lorraine - Thanks. We love the goofballs. I adore the BC breed. Fortunately both of mine are pretty mellow for BCs.

Oreo is a Jack-a-poo (jack russell & poodle mix) that I rescued from a pet store. She would have been dead in 48 hours if I hadn't gotten her out of there. She is the most amazing dog. Wish I could clone her. So much personality in that little package :O) I had actually gotten Oreo for my youngest son for Christmas but she ended up bonding with my youngest daughter instead. She trained her to show in 4H and after the first year decided that she was worthless for obedience and she wanted a BC. She babysat and saved her money until she had the adoption fee and got Tip. Don't know if it was the insult that she couldn't do obedience and agility or the competition but Oreo took off in the ring after that. My daughter's room was wallpapered with ribbons that little dog won and shelves of trophies. Those two made it into the AKC's top 10 junior handlers list her last year showing.

I adopted Lacey after I lost my sheltie, Panda. The rescue nearly put her down. She was mentally so fragile from the abuse and neglect that she reminded me of antique lace - ie my naming her Lacey. She's come so far that people don't even recognise her from the shadow she was. Its amazing what love and time can do. I adopted both ours from ARM-MI BC rescue and help them out when I can.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  07:14:24 AM  Show Profile

This is my workhorse Kasha - a 10 year old female Great Pry... She is my heart, soul and powerhouse here. She works thru the bitter cold last night a -24 does not stop this gal. I have two other Pry's but I admit she is the world to me and I can not find away to prepare myself for passing. I know she is starting to slip but she continues to put on a brave face. Tuesday she reminded me to PLAY HARD! She ran around in the deep snow kicking up her heels, throwing snow everywhere. We played for the longest time in the snow and enjoyed every minute of it... Kasha keeps me going.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  08:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Darn it, Grace, I couldn't see your girl. The pic isn't uploaded (for my viewing, anyhow!).

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  10:11:07 AM  Show Profile

I am trying again - you know computers and me not the best of friends.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic photo's of our "furkids" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page