Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Hey? Is anyone thinking of weight loss in 2011?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hey? Is anyone thinking of weight loss in 2011? Next Topic
Page: of 4

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  5:55:20 PM  Show Profile
I have popcorn on my grocery list. Probably just get the 100 calorie packs. I agree, winter is hard. I guess peanut butter and something(?) would be fine. I don't want to do too many crackers b/c I'm trying to be conscious of my carb intake. What to do, what to do. lol

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2882 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2882 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  6:16:42 PM  Show Profile
I pop my popcorn in virgin coconut oil, as it has been found to be a thyroid stimulant. According to this website, http://www.coconutoil.com/litalee.htm
farmers were feeding coconut oil to their flocks in hopes of fattening them up, & the reverse happened. They were more energetic & lost weight. It makes the popcorn very tasty as well.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  06:35:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, I dunno HOW I did this weekend. I think I burned off whatever "bad" calories I ate on Saturday by walking for 4 hours around Ikea and yesterday, I burned off that HIGHLY fat breakfast sandwich Justin made while putting together the IKEA table and chairs for Violet's room, cleaning and organizing her room and doing 5 loads of laundry!

I am getting my recipes together to go to the grocery, but I have to say, last month, I dedicated my menu to several recipes in the Cooking Light magazine I'd received and they were a total waste. Waste of time, waste of ingredients, waste of taste. Maybe I just eat too "richly" but there wasn't one thing that we kept in rotation.

Starting off the week with a free donut from the local bakery (with the purchase of coffee) probably isn't the best thing, either, but it's Monday, they're calling for snow and I was up all night, as was Jus, and Violet woke at 5 am, chipper as a little wren. So, donut it is!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  06:46:57 AM  Show Profile
Holy Cow Jonni, your gonna need some tookpicks to keep your eyes open today. Sorry you had such a long night. :( I was wondering how many calories that I could count for stacking wood Saturday (getting ready for our first snow!). Boy am I glad we stacked it and brought in a bunch, the ground is covered and there's still more on the way.

I think you burned off atleast a donuts worth from your busy weekend! Enjoy your donut, don't look back, and keep on keep'n on.

I had peanut M&M's last night. 14 of them. I haven't added them yet. Kinda scared to know.

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Tommie, I with you on something warm, just wish things were lower calories. I didnt realize how many high calorie items I have in my pantry.
Jonni I'm with Tommie you enjoy that donut after being so far under cals. yesterday I think you will be a ok! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:11:27 AM  Show Profile
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/print-recipe/108559/#size3x5

This looks scruptious. Normally she uses atleast a stick of butter in her recipes, but this one doesn't have ANY butter! I'm making it soon. I don't have a clue what the calorie intake would be, and I don't know if I'll input all those dang ingredients (just being honest). But as long as you keep the toppings (sour cream, cheese, etc.) in check, wouldn't you think this would be a pretty healthy meal? Or am I dreaming!?

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the support, girls! On my 2nd (large) cup of coffee :) I'm not regretting the donut, nor should you regret the M & M's. A treat now and again is not out of the realm of possibility--and sometimes, fruit simply doesn't cut it!

I guess the lesson I've learned so far is about balancing--it's an act, but now that I'm keeping track of calories (and they're keeping me accountable), I realize that it's a give and take. If I eat too much for breakfast, then I need to "rethink" how I want my day to go--

And I bet you lost quite a few calories, with that wood project, Tommie--workin' hard makes you sleep well, and burns that fat! And snow on the ground is SUCH a treat. We're in for it again this evening and tomorrow. But, I'll gladly take snow over the 2 1/2 hour commute home I had Friday night with black ice!

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:26:40 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree that you should be able to have a donut or m&m's - if I tried to tell myself I "couldn't" eat something, the next thing you know that's about all I would eat for 10 days before I snapped out of it:) Everything in moderation - that's the problem with our crazy world though, it seems like nothing is in moderation, makes it hard to make moderate choices.
My goal is to have an apple today rather than Christmas cookies.....we'll see how that goes.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:31:19 AM  Show Profile
This is the very first of our bad weather this season. It's almost unbelievable. I think I'm gonna head out this afternoon and play in the snow with the dogs (excersise!). But I haven't had enough coffee yet for that! Oh, trust me Jonni, I know how you feel. I calculated my coffee the other day...29oz! Its straight black, so only a few added calories, but I was shocked all the same.

Definitely balance is the way to go. Being conscious of what's going in my mouth makes a big difference. Last week I put all our leftover cookies from Christmas on 2 big trays, wrapped 'em up and sent them with my guy to take to work. Grabbing a peanut cluster here and there was killing me!

We're doing okay girls. Reality bites us in the butt sometimes, but we kick it off and keep going. :)

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:33:27 AM  Show Profile
LOL...Amy I posted my Christmas cookie dilemma before I read your post. Too funny. Glad I'm not alone. You can do it!!!

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  09:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh WOW does that soup from PW look wonderful. It's one of my faves, anyway. And yes, keeping the toppings in check makes the difference. I use low fat/fat free sour cream around here, but often, the calories are higher b/c of the sugars. So, again, weighing out the pro's and con's :)

Amy Grace, I hope you have that apple instead of the cookie, but an apple WITH a cookie sounds good, too!

I'm looking forward to my lunch, the same soup I had for dinner after that 2.5 hour commute on Friday night. It hit the spot!

Yes, yes, get out and play with the dogs, Tommie. I know we're going to get quite a bit overnight and I'm looking forward to it--less muddy paws on the new kitchen floor if the ground is frozen and snow covered :)

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  10:17:28 AM  Show Profile
An easy way you can start losing weight is make your portions smaller. A serving of meat is supposed to be no bigger than a deck of playing cards, a serving of fruit is the size of a baseball and a serving of vegetables is the size of two baseballs. This sounds so easy. Or use a smaller plate and the biggest thing is to just move more!!! Dr. Oz says we're supposed to take 10,000 steps every day. I think that's do-able. I'm gonna dust off the old treadmill, cuz baby it's cold out there!

good luck girls!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Ooofff - a couple not such good days, sometimes days off work aren't the best:( Oh well....Tomorrow is another day.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:36:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm with ya, Amy Grace. I had a big lunch yesterday (though it was really, really good) and I just totally blew it out of the water with dinner (and 2 glasses of wine!). I haven't been to the grocery since we've gotten our new floor and the kitchen is torn up a bit to get ready to paint, so I just made breaded cube steaks, parmesan risotto and peas with butter. It was really good on a 17 degree night, though!

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  8:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Mmm - that does sound like a good dinner. I just started off wrong with some non-whole-grain toast which got me on a carb kick and next thing you know I'm eating Frango mints by the handful. Today was better though, and I drank my water too:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  05:40:24 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, that supper sound delish, I have been very careful as to what I have been eating but then again I have alot more weight to lose than you. So Im trying to stick with it Im scared if I eat something bad it will start me on a roll and right now Im on a good roll.lol But sometimes we dont have much of a choice so I think as long as we are trying thats all that counts!
Amy I have been trying to drink lots of water too sometimes I think I will float away. lol

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  05:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey Karen, I have missed you. I emailed you but must not have used the right one.

I have been trying to not eat any sweets. But last night had to have a toasted peanut butter and violet jelly sandwich. I couldn't help myself. It was so good. I make my own whole wheat bread so I don't feel SO bad. But every now and then I just gotta cheat.

I love cube steak. I have some deer cube steak in the freezer that I might just have to make tonight. Yum. Thanks Jonni. That does sound good. Never made risotto but it looks so good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  06:11:32 AM  Show Profile
jonni i sure enjoyed your photos on your blog. cute kids. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  06:12:01 AM  Show Profile
It was really good, Kris. I love Cube Steaks on a weeknight--such a quick dinner, and so yummy when it's cold. I usually make a wholegrain or dijon mustard pan gravy with them, too, scraping up the brown bits and grease, add some milk and a scant bit of flour, then the mustard, s & p to taste. Soooo good and really rounds out the flavor.

Try the risotto. This time I simply made a paremsan risotto, but I often will make risotto just as an entree with a variety of vegetables and even pancetta. It's so creamy and good!

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  06:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - I never thought to do a dijon gravy with cube steaks. I usually do a tomato and onion gravy with mine. Goes great over mashed potatoes. I'll have to try that the next time I make them.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  06:31:12 AM  Show Profile
Ok, stop! I'm coming over next time you make this. That sounds too good. And worth the drive too. Yum!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  06:58:49 AM  Show Profile
C'mon up!

@Tammie--I've never made a tomatoe/onion gravy. That sounds equally wonderful. I found in Bon Appetit years ago this mustard sauce and they commented that because the steaks are tenderized, they have a much more mellow flavor and the mustard sauce gives it a punch. Not very much needed, just a hint.

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - I thinly slice onions and then carmelize them in olive oil. After they're nice and tender and carmelized I add a can of tomato soup (condensed), salt, pepper, and add Worsteshire sauce to taste. I then add milk or cream to achieve whatever consistency I want. I thought I'd learned the receipe from my mom, but she swears she never made tomato gravy in her life so I'm not quite sure where I came up with the recipe.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:40:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that, Tammy. It sounds yummy, and I bet it's fabulous over the mashed potatoes and the cube steak!!! It's funny...it sounds like a mom sort of recipe, I bet she made it when you were little as one of those "Monday night meals" that every mom made then promptly forgot about it!!!

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  5:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Wow - all those cube steak recipes sound great, we love cube steaks - not sure how but my son developed a huge attachment for them.
Today was a better day, not stellar, but better....

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hey? Is anyone thinking of weight loss in 2011? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page