Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Hey? Is anyone thinking of weight loss in 2011?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hey? Is anyone thinking of weight loss in 2011? Next Topic
Page: of 4

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Over the last few months, I have picked up lbs., dropped lbs, and picked them back up again. And I posted, on my facebook page, recently a picture of me when I was a ballerina. Now, I know at 37, I could never go back to that, but it reminded me that I "used" to feel rather pretty. I've gotten used to being a "bigger" version of me, but I hate photos and I'm sad--because I've missed out on a lot of pics of me and Violet because I "nix" them right away (fat faced Jonni is NOT attractive). My husband thinks I'm beautiful, but he has to say that. I need to be happy with me.

I joined www.loseit.com and set up a goal and am tracking my daily calorie intake. Which is hard, especially when you make your own food most of the time! Have to look at everything, including the spices!

In the past, on the forum, there have been groups to sort of "cheer each other on" but I wasn't sure if anyone had weightloss as a goal this year or no.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Well Jonni I just signed up for loseit.com, thanks to you! I really need to shed some weight and get back to the old happier healthy me. No time like the present. Its warm here today, going to get up to 53. I'm gonna go for a walk. Tracking EVERYTHING I eat will be hard for me too b/c we cook most everything we eat. But I say, don't beat yourself up if you don't get every teeny wheeny thing in. I think if I can get into the habit of doing it every day it will get easier and easier. I've had the 30 Day Shred DVD forever now...of course still in its package. Not for long, I've gotta get started. I'm on this weight loss train with ya! I need to be accountable to someone, obviously I can't trust myself. :)

We can do this!!!!
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  09:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Great, Tommie!!! We can do it, sister! I really liked the loseit program--it seemed "easy" for me, and that's sayin' something. A friend of mine, locally, lost 30 lbs since September using the loseit program. She's down to a size 6 from a 12 in jeans! She said that she tracked almost everything, including exercise, and didn't "deny" herself anything. Made more sensible decisions. If I can simply cut out the "in between stuff" and realize just what I put in my mouth, I think I'll be on a better road. Oh, and that pesky exercising!

Good for you for having better weather. It's cold here, but I'm thinking of a walk when I get home. I'm thrilled to have you for a partner! We should be "friends" on the loseit site...there is a way, just have to figure that part out!!!

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jan 06 2011 09:23:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  09:46:41 AM  Show Profile
You've got it sister! You kick my butt and I'll kick yours.

I've gotten better about the in between stuff, but mine is just eating what everyone else is eating and as much as everyone else is eating. Ugh. I remember when my portions were SOOO much smaller. And then there's the movement. Its not so hard in the summer, we're busy all the time. But the wintertime I'm sit'n on my hiney-bo under a blanket! And now that I've learned to knit and started a project, my hiney-bo is getting more action.

Oh to be a size 6 again! The crappy thing is, I know it can be done. 5yrs ago I wore a size 6 bridesmaid dress in my friends wedding. Plus I'm 5' noth'n so every pound I gain is VERY visible.

Yes, we definitely need to be friends on the site. I can't even get a pic to upload on it so I'll have to do some figuring out! lol

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  10:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
You go girls . . . I'm in the "senior citizen" bracket where things get harder and harder. It boggles my mind what the process of menopause and aging does to your body . . NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

So, it's an ONGOING thing for me . . has been all my life. I work to maintain and to "keep it all moving" . . . I've never been overweight, but I've worked all my life at it. It's just that getting older makes it harder . . . AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

As Red Green says "I'm pulling for ya'"
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2882 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2882 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  11:27:43 AM  Show Profile
I have been walking daily, but still have to lose a bag of dog fod.. (the big one, sadly) Meno & a sluggish thyroid are partially to blame, but my love for beer and our late dinner hour is the other.
Saw something advertised on Dr Phil yesterday (I normally can't stomach him, but was curious). It is the 17 day diet, where you eat a certain way for 17 days, then another way for 17, up to 4 cycles of 17 days each. They were saying the reasoning behind it is that most diets are so hard to stick to, so people fall off easily. This way, you get to look forward to another way after 17 days. I actually think I saw something about this on one of the AM shows, & the doc being interviewed felt like this was a great way to lose.
I guess you can join in on Dr Phil's site, or I saw the book on Amazon, but it was $40, & I am not willing to spend that.
My sis, Pam is currently a stick; when I saw her at Christmas, she looked great, probably a size 6 or less. She does Weight Watchers, & is a life member so she doesn't have to pay.
Just got back from a 1 1/2 hour walk. I need to do something for my abs & arms too. I have many radials in my stomach right now.. & unfortunately, they are not steel belted.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  12:30:21 PM  Show Profile
UH .... NO!! (lol, I know I am a meany )

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  12:34:39 PM  Show Profile
I just get very sedientary in the winter, like a bear. I loooove my blanket and the sofa, too, Tommie! And I knit, and work in an office, where I do go up and down stairs all day, but most of the time, I sit at a desk. So not a lot of "activity" in my hobbies, for sure! I just want to be happy again--I'm not miserable, but I am going to nip it in the bud before I GET miserable. I don't like to get down on myself, because I'm a terrible, terrible critic!

@Lisa...I hear ya. I don't do well on those diet things, though. I tried the Special K Challenge a few years ago, but here's where I differ from most folks--I could care less about sweets, so eating sweet cereal for breakfast, lunch and then a "sensible dinner" with sweet snacks in between was SO dissatisfying! If the diet was eat cheese, apples and french bread with a cuppa coffee three times a day, I'd have been the winner...

@Dutchy...you don't have to think about weight loss based on your photos :)

Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ceejay! I've always struggled with my weight as well (unfortunately it usually wins) and its always on my mind. But after reading Jonni's post I realized if it's always going to be on my mind, it might as well be in a positive manner while I'm doing something about it. My Dad, along with most everyone in his family, is diabetic. That scares the bee-jeebers outta me! So I know what my future will be if I don't tackle it now.

Lisa, 1 1/2 hour walk, wow! This probably sounds dumb, but I would get way too bored walking 1 1/2hrs by myself. I finally got a new phone and surprisingly it has fm radio. I'm able to pick up a few stations way out here in the middle of nowhere and that helped a TON on my 40 minute walk just a bit ago. I need to walk, or do something daily. It needs to be a habit where I just do it no questions asked. Way to go you!

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  12:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Also, Tommie, I uploaded a photo and edited my profile. Tryin' to figure out a way we can find each other. Hey, email me (through the forum) and maybe we can use emails to find each other.

Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  12:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Found you Jonni! Sent you a request on loseit.com. I checked out your blog (gorgeous by the way!...may have to get some pointers from ya!) and found your name and did a search that way.

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  12:50:03 PM  Show Profile
I had started walking back in Aug. but wasn't losing any weight. SO I went to the doctor to see why. Then did the no carbs high protien and lost 15 pounds in just a few weeks plus walking 3 miles a day. Then when it started getting cold we stopped. Then the holidays. Well, I am back up and do not like it at all. So we are starting back up with the walking. And I am going to try the low carb and high protien again. No sugar and only homemade whole wheat bread. I cannot get any bigger.

I wish everyone good luck on losing. And on becoming more healthy in 2011. It's all about making the right healthy choices and excercise.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  12:58:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm like you, Tommie. I get bored walking. Even with the baby in a stroller. I'm just too antsy and then it's like...now I have to walk BACK? If I knew someone were at the end of my hour and 1/2 walk waiting to take me to Algamesis (an old ice cream parlor round here) I might do it, but walking TO and FROM just always bores me to tears. Even with music.

Found your request, Tommie...thanks about the blog--I'm about the worst blogger in the world. Last update was last year!!!

I'm sortof excited. Already planning "what" I'm going to eat for dinner. Just me and the girl tonight, so I may just swing by and get a big salad and grill some chicken for the top of it.

It's so difficult, isn't it, Kris? I'm wishing you better, healthier choices, too. It's good for all of us to have somewhere to talk about this, as it appears to affect all of us in some way or another. I seem to gain/lose gain/lose and never really keep it off. I think I'm bigger now than the year after having Violet. I just feel like a slug.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  2:01:08 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, Jonni! I read the title to your post and thought to myself, "Yeah... I'm THINKING about it!"

I'm in my mid-forties now, and although I used to be able to shed pounds in the blink of an eye, that's sure not the case now! (I'm with you, CJ!) I once did Weight Watchers (before the point system came out), and the weight just melted away. Not anymore, sister. :(

BUT, I was reading through this month's MJF Magazine last night, and came across the picture of MJ pumping water. I had an "Aha!" moment. MaryJane looks so good because she eats right, works hard, loves deeply, lives well and I bet she sleeps very soundly, too! I thought to myself, maybe that's going to be my goal for health this year - living better all around. Balance.

I've made a lot of positive, healthy changes to my diet, primarily eating organic and natural whenever possible (organic milk alone, I believe, drastically improved my health!). And last summer, the time spent in my garden was a real workout - but did it feel good, and the weight did start to decrease a little! So now that the holidays are over, I'm going to do my "spring cleaning" a little bit early and a lot more vigorously. As soon as spring hits, I'm planning to start walking daily at the high school track with a good friend. And I think I'm going to continue efforts to destress. I don't eat a lot of unhealthy foods, nor do I eat crazy portions (My kid says I hardly eat at all, but compared to his and his dad's, ANYONE else's plate looks a little lean! LOL!), but I do notice that whenever I'm under stress it's as if my body just holds onto the weight like a protective layer or something - it's insane. "Exercise releases endorphins which makes you happy," as the legally blonde girl said, so I'm all about that!

I guess it's more a lifestyle change that's needed than a "diet" per se. Wasn't it Richard Simmons who always said "die" is the root word of "diet?" I would rather live! And live well. So that's what I'm thinking...

Good luck with your plans, too, girls! Can't wait to hear your progress reports! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  2:06:50 PM  Show Profile
I've been tracking what I eat with Sparkpeople.com. So far it seems to be working ok, and a lot of meals are already entered in with the nutrition info, so even if something I make at home isnt, there's something similar enough that I just choose that. Right now I'm at the heaviest I've been, mostly because of my crazy schedule last year, and the convenience of fast food (which was way more appealing than my PB & J at the time!) I've started a 28 day challenge on sparkpeople, and it has some provided workout videos and a discussion board for encouragement. I just hope I can stay motivated this time!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  06:00:13 AM  Show Profile
I think about it every time I open a bar of chocolate!

I have come to the conclusion that how I look right now, at the age of 54, is how I'm supposed to look or I would look another way.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  08:40:08 AM  Show Profile
That's a good way to look at it, Debbie. I'm not trying to be 90 lbs like I was when I was dancing--I'm 37, not a ballerina, have a 2 year old and, did I mention I'm 37? My natural weight for my height and frame is somewhere around 120-130. I'm WAY beyond that and I don't feel very healthy, despite eating organically. I don't exercised (did enough of that when I was getting up for 8:00 am ballet classes!). So, I need to do something to help myself, because, it's only going to get worse. During my pregnancy, I broke my ankle and I find that with more weight on my petite frame, my ankle seems weaker and I have a tendency to fall more.

So, a number of reasons to lose weight for me.

I joined Weight Watchers with my friend, who is obese. It was right when they introduced the point system, and the first handout they gave out was points for fast food. It seemed to defeat the purpose to me--please don't give a diabetic candy!!!! And, true to my line of thinking, my friend actually gained weight, instead of losing it, because it basically gave her a reason not to cook or make healthy choices. "If I stay within my points, and then have these bonus points, I'm working the program!"

Anyway, I'm not horrible, just a little heftier than I'd like. I'd feel a lot better if I lost a few lbs.

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  6:27:05 PM  Show Profile
I have a little friend Rita, thats just like my own child. Well the other night we were at the funeral home and she ups and says Wilma I am so deformed, my belly is just awful, Its almost ready to drop to the bottom and I only have one hand to hold it up with, what am I going to do?You see Rita had an anurosym several years ago and almost died, it left her partially crippled, I thought girl after what you have been thru and can just laugh it off What a girl you are. And Jonnie you are beautiful, I would love you if you weighed 2 hundred pounds

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I am definitely although given my "never got over being a rebel" personality the minute I try to start anything regimented I do the opposite so I have been trying to change my attitudes and diet slowly. I started eating breakfast/lunch every day in August, which I haven't done for years and by eating a sandwich on super high fiber whole grain bread everyday instead of having coffee all morning/afternoon I have actually lost about 8 pounds. I need to lose more though, I'm 41 and it seems like the further after 30 you go the more the weight stays around your middle. So I'm in for moral support to try to continue to improve my diet and then add exercise in too

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:13:31 PM  Show Profile
I am definitely although given my "never got over being a rebel" personality the minute I try to start anything regimented I do the opposite so I have been trying to change my attitudes and diet slowly. I started eating breakfast/lunch every day in August, which I haven't done for years and by eating a sandwich on super high fiber whole grain bread everyday instead of having coffee all morning/afternoon I have actually lost about 8 pounds. I need to lose more though, I'm 41 and it seems like the further after 30 you go the more the weight stays around your middle. So I'm in for moral support to try to continue to improve my diet and then add exercise in too

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:19:16 PM  Show Profile
I am with you girls too. I am 45 and petite and only 5 ft tall. I just want to make healthy choices and exercise so I can feel better and take care of my body. My stepdaughter is getting married in September and I would like to look nice for her.

Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, so far so good. I've logged my calories 2 days in a row. First day I was 166 calories under and the second day I was 176 calories over (dang whiskey cream sauce!). But today I hope to be under 176 calories to make up for yesterday.

I'm glad we're here to support each other. Amy Grace (love that name btw!) I think slow and steady is the way to go anyway. We'll get there together. And the weight in the middle...ooh girl your preachin to the choir. I've never had a belly like this.

According to loseit.com I'm suppose to be at my goal weight by Aug 19, which is 10 days before my birthday. What a great birthday present that would be to myself!

No walk for me today (or yesterday actually), just too darn cold. I really should break out the 30 day shred and get going on it. Not sure what's stopping me. Sigh.

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  05:04:37 AM  Show Profile
Ok Girls Im gonna go check out this site and see what I can do cause I seem to be in the same boat Jonni and Tommie. Tommie that would be a great b-day present! Good luck! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  05:16:53 AM  Show Profile
Ok I joined girls, Jonni sent you a friend request but could not find you Tommie. Well here goes!!

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  5:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I need snack help. Carrots, fat free/no sugar added pudding, peaches, etc. are all yummy, but I hate eating cold things when I'm cold. Anyone have any ideas for warm snacks?

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  5:51:53 PM  Show Profile
how 'bout air-popped popcorn with brewer's yeast? one of my favorites so I'm biased, or you could have it with some other seasoning. Soup is good too....hmmm...winter is hard.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hey? Is anyone thinking of weight loss in 2011? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page